Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Government Response To The Coronavirus

• Replies 29.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Australia has had months of little to no community spread and even then it was confined to one state. By and large Australians are running around doing the right thing, sport was and is still hap

This is going to be a one off post because I don't want to get trolled or banned but if I were American, the context of Canada would be the biggest damning fact of how things have been handled in the

I am confident we are going to hit >750K deaths.  I think it might be a million.  I don't post a ton but I'm an ER doc in a big city. This is by far the worse I've seen since the pandemic star

I honestly think things will get back to normal a lot sooner then predicted by the administration.  It’s a classic under sale over deliver game plan.  I know my state (Connecticut) is ahead of the curve with respect to vaccines but we’ve seen a dramatic decrease in positive cases, hospitalizations and deaths the past couple of weeks.  Based on new vaccination timelines here, we should have close to entire state (except children) done by May.  

In addition, we should all expected mistakes, delays etc regardless who is in the White House given we’ve never experienced any like covid.  So hats off to the Biden team increasing vaccinations over the past 5 weeks.  

• Like 2

I just heard Miami Republican mayor Francis Suarez on NPR saying that his conversation with President Biden bore fruit as a vaccine super site will come to Miami Dade College's North Campus, which is in an area with a high percentage of under-represented minorities, especially black and Hispanic people. He also wants more federal funds in the next package. 

His Feb 12 meeting: Suarez Speaks On Vaccination Efforts, Relationship to Biden Admin. at White House Event

>>One reporter mentioned Suarez's previous criticism of the Trump administration for a lack of willingness to communicate, and asked whether the mayor had felt a change with the new president.

"I've spoken to the president and vice president more times in the short period that they have been in office than I had spoken to the prior administration entirely," Suarez said. "To me, that's an intentional desire on their part to really plug in with the mayors."<<

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

North Carolina governor expected to ease restrictions on the number of fans that can attend sporting events including high school sports.  Guess things are much better all of a sudden

All of a sudden? No. But if you would take a moment to look at the data, you will see that NC had cases/hospitalizations peak in mid January and has been a sharp decline ever since then.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dawgtrails said:

All of a sudden? No. But if you would take a moment to look at the data, you will see that NC had cases/hospitalizations peak in mid January and has been a sharp decline ever since then.

I know.  As predicted things would be on the decline after election day to the surprise of no one.

• Laughing 2
6 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

I know.  As predicted things would be on the decline after election day to the surprise of no one.

Election day was in November, not in mid January

10 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

This is technically true, but a better way of putting it is that things would be on the decline after vaccine distribution started.  It just so happened that we got vaccines rolling around election day.  

1 minute ago, Ramblin Wreck said:
26 minutes ago, squistion said:

Inauguration Day.  You nailed me without using twitter.  Great job

Is your contention that if Trump won we wouldn't be seeing declines around the country?

17 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:
42 minutes ago, squistion said:

Inauguration Day.  You nailed me without using twitter.  Great job

But what about the peaks in the Upper Midwest that happened in November as @parasaurolophus like to remind us all the time?

2 hours ago, the rover said:

Is anyone actually wearing two masks?  I have seen one person double-masking, and that was at an airport last week.

I’ve actually seen quite a few, some before it was even publicly suggested. But a lot of my customers are from an elderly community that has been hit hard recently.

3 hours ago, the rover said:

Is anyone actually wearing two masks?  I have seen one person double-masking, and that was at an airport last week.

Yes. Got my haircut the other day. Double mask worn. Had dinner outside at our house with my brother and sister-in-law. Six feet apart, double mask. No need to risk anything now when the light at the end of the tunnel pokes through. I still may get it, but I'm taking measures not to. 

• Like 3
On 2/23/2021 at 8:14 AM, ekbeats said:

I should probably clarify - I will continue wearing a mask until I get vaccinated and probably even got a time afterwards.  But not into 2022, assuming nothing happens unexpectedly.  At some point it has to end.

I'll have no issue whatsoever wearing a mask in certain settings and certain crowd sizes for the rest of my life.  I kind of hate wearing them but I hate being sick more.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, the rover said:

My wife and I took the biggest risk we have to-date with COVID by attending my daughters cheer competition recently.  We both wore two masks - one of the blue medical masks and then a breathable cloth one over it.  I was fairly miserable but I wanted to do my best to attend and keep myself as safe as I could.  I still think it was risky and I only went 1 of the 2 days.  That's the only time I've worn 2 masks.

*And just to clarify, I was miserable because of two masks AND being at a cheer competition.  @The Commish

• Like 1
On 2/23/2021 at 8:25 PM, Kal El said:

It’s good to see that the current administration actually has a plan for fighting Covid. 

Yes. He's using the plan the previous administration had and telling everyone it was his all along.

https://youtu.be/1cet6MLdgkc

Edited by Insein

I can't even get into the mindset of thinking a mask does anything let alone two. I wear a mask where I am required to. In stores. In buildings. At outdoor events that specifically say I need to. Otherwise I have no need to wear it and have no fear of getting anything. 

• Laughing 1

My college roommate just emailed me that his father passed away yesterday from Covid.  He had been in relative lockdown the past year, only going out when absolutely necessary and always wearing a mask.  He was just about to get vaccinated when he fell ill three weeks ago.  He was in the hospital for three weeks fighting it off and just when it looked like he had turned the corner he took a turn for the worse and his body gave out.  What a nightmare this thing is.  Stay safe everyone.

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, Insein said:

I can't even get into the mindset of thinking a mask does anything let alone two. I wear a mask where I am required to. In stores. In buildings. At outdoor events that specifically say I need to. Otherwise I have no need to wear it and have no fear of getting anything. 

You can't be serious with this - is it April 2020 again?

Edited by AAABatteries
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

You know, it's interesting - I've noticed that the few times I have worn a mask for extended periods of time that I haven't felt great the next 2-3 days with sinus type issues.  I think my issue may be either not having quality medical masks or freshly laundering my masks right before usage.  I try to use a mask 1-2 times max but occasionally forget.  Obviously the cheap disposable ones I toss after one use.  Or maybe it's all in my head.

Edited by AAABatteries
4 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

You can't be serious with this - is it April 2020 again?

I'm surprised you're still terrified. It's February 2021.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
2 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Yeah, I'm terrified - good call.

16 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

My wife and I took the biggest risk we have to-date with COVID by attending my daughters cheer competition recently.  We both wore two masks - one of the blue medical masks and then a breathable cloth one over it. 

Clearly

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

So your example of me being terrified is me going to an event with 30-40k people but just because I wore two masks I'm terrified?  Ok buddy :lmao::lmao:

Your biggest Covid risk yet? Come on. You take a bigger risk every trip to Walmart. How close was the nearest person to you?

Also live professional sporting events aren't having more than a couple thousand people attending. What cheerleader competition is drawing 50k during Covid?

Just looked it up. Cheerleader Nationals in Georgia. Surprised they're allowing that many but good for them. Congrats to your daughter too for making it there. It's great they're allowing so many to see it live. Hope you have a good time.

Edited by Insein
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

My wife and I took the biggest risk we have to-date with COVID by attending my daughters cheer competition recently.  We both wore two masks - one of the blue medical masks and then a breathable cloth one over it.  I was fairly miserable but I wanted to do my best to attend and keep myself as safe as I could.  I still think it was risky and I only went 1 of the 2 days.  That's the only time I've worn 2 masks.

*And just to clarify, I was miserable because of two masks AND being at a cheer competition.  @The Commish

Preach it brother!!  We were at Busch Gardens two weekends ago for her first one....it was miserable.  They won, but the people there were straight out of the "I don't give a ####" crew and they were all over the entire park.  We left after the comp was over.  She has another one in Tampa this weekend.  My wife will go, but me and the boys will not.  Had a long conversation with my daughter about why we weren't going.  I think she understands, but it sucks to miss things like that even if they are miserable events under normal circumstances.

On a side note....A few of the dads in my daughter's group have some "I thought they said BEER competition" shirts which I thought were pretty good :lol: 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, The Commish said:

On a side note....A few of the dads in my daughter's group have some "I thought they said BEER competition" shirts which I thought were pretty good :lol: 

That’s awesome - not sure my wife and daughter would let me wear it but I’m going to ask!

6 hours ago, Insein said:

Your biggest Covid risk yet? Come on. You take a bigger risk every trip to Walmart. How close was the nearest person to you?

Also live professional sporting events aren't having more than a couple thousand people attending. What cheerleader competition is drawing 50k during Covid?

Just looked it up. Cheerleader Nationals in Georgia. Surprised they're allowing that many but good for them. Congrats to your daughter too for making it there. It's great they're allowing so many to see it live. Hope you have a good time.

Thanks - it already happened and was fine.  I assume you understand I’m not terrified of COVID - in that setting double masking now and possibly wearing one post-vaccine is just taking precautions, IMO.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

You know, it's interesting - I've noticed that the few times I have worn a mask for extended periods of time that I haven't felt great the next 2-3 days with sinus type issues.  I think my issue may be either not having quality medical masks or freshly laundering my masks right before usage.  I try to use a mask 1-2 times max but occasionally forget.  Obviously the cheap disposable ones I toss after one use.  Or maybe it's all in my head.

I've used the same mask for months without washing. I think all the germs on it act as a second layer of defense.

Edited by jobarules
8 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

So your example of me being terrified is me going to an event with 30-40k people but just because I wore two masks I'm terrified?  Ok buddy :lmao::lmao:

I admit I thought the same thing as Inein until you said 30-40k. Holy crap! You ####### daredevil you. 

1 hour ago, Rich Conway said:

500K people dead and we have people still arguing it's just a flu.  Baffling.

To be fair...it's also the thread where doing the responsible thing is being equated to being "terrified" so......

3 minutes ago, The Commish said:

To be fair...it's also the thread where doing the responsible thing is being equated to being "terrified" so......

I'm terrified of COVID.  I also do the responsible things to minimize risk to myself and others around me.  I'd like to think I would do those same responsible things out of common courtesy to others even if I wasn't personally terrified.

15 hours ago, the rover said:

No.  One around my chin when is stores with signs.  That's my good faith effort.  That's about it. 

36 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:
15 hours ago, the rover said:

Yes. See it in the hospital all the time.

Surprisingly, I see it a good bit "out in the wild" around here too.  It was 95% at the hospital yesterday (had to take my kid to the ER for a broken finger).  

10 hours ago, tonydead said:

No.  One around my chin when is stores with signs.  That's my good faith effort.  That's about it. 

If you're serious that you bother to cover your mouth and nose when a business asks you to do so before entering, I hope they kick you out and ban you from the store. 

• Laughing 1
2 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

If you're serious that you bother to cover your mouth and nose when a business asks you to do so before entering, I hope they kick you out and ban you from the store. 

Never cover my nose. Fogs my glasses, cant see and a trip and fall would be more dangerous than the covid.