Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Government Response To The Coronavirus

13 minutes ago, rockaction said:

It was more hateful when they stormed a public building at his behest and smashed windows, destroyed property, and chanted for the deaths of public officials. Not when they tried the instigator in the Senate for those actions. What planet are we on here?

Are we talking about Portland?

• Replies 27.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is going to be a one off post because I don't want to get trolled or banned but if I were American, the context of Canada would be the biggest damning fact of how things have been handled in the

Australia has had months of little to no community spread and even then it was confined to one state. By and large Australians are running around doing the right thing, sport was and is still hap

I am confident we are going to hit >750K deaths.  I think it might be a million.  I don't post a ton but I'm an ER doc in a big city. This is by far the worse I've seen since the pandemic star

4 minutes ago, quick-hands said:

Are we talking about Portland?

I'm fine with you whatabouting it because I've sort of been at the forefront of this board in condemning -- and proving with sources -- BLM and Antifa back in the summer when I thought both were linked and were responsible for massive damage in the cities within which they protested. You're more than welcome to check my work.

Edited by rockaction
37 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I'm fine with you whatabouting it because I've sort of been at the forefront of this board in condemning -- and proving with sources -- BLM and Antifa back in the summer when I thought both were linked and were responsible for massive damage in the cities within which they protested. You're more than welcome to check my work.

This "gotcha" has been attempted on me as well.  I don't think I've had a single follow up engagement on the subject after answering with some variation of "yep, them too....all of it is ridiculous and people who break the law should be held accountable".  It'd be funny if not so weak.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, The Commish said:

This "gotcha" has been attempted on me as well.  I don't think I've had a single follow up engagement on the subject after answering with some variation of "yep, them too....all of it is ridiculous and people who break the law should be held accountable".  It'd be funny if not so weak.

I figured any static I got on this board would come from the likes of the left who are still insisting that BLM members and Antifa weren't responsible for the burning buildings and property loss at the "mostly peaceful" protests. I thought I'd been quite vocal about both that and the Capitol storming. I'm a pretty equal opportunity property and limb defender.

1 hour ago, quick-hands said:

Well I disagree.   The entire govt was absorbed.   We did know the outcome.   It was hateful.   Rediculous. 

Hateful?  Sure Trumps actions were hateful both times.  The entire government is much larger than congress...and even all of congress wasnt fully absorbed.  Some didn't show up...others barely paying attention.

It was a dog and pony show but was needed.

• Laughing 1
On 3/2/2021 at 10:10 PM, tonydead said:

Its a BS claim. J&J has committed 100 million by then, there is only 200 million adults. Its meaningless if it's not shots in arms. :lol:. Holly crap.  

You can’t make people get shots.  And they are vaccinating 2 million a day.  

you try too hard - and still don’t stick the landing

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

You can’t make people get shots.  And they are vaccinating 2 million a day.  

you try too hard - and still don’t stick the landing

Which again goes back to the same point I keep raising. We’ve totally failed with the marketing sales pitch of the vaccine.

4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Which again goes back to the same point I keep raising. We’ve totally failed with the marketing sales pitch of the vaccine.

Now is a critical time as many people wanted to wait and see the feedback and data on the early vaccinations.

Couldn't have anything to do with all the politicians and public figures disparaging the vaccine before it even came out because of it's relation to the Trump administration, could it?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/some-states-plan-vet-covid-19-vaccines-themselves-bad-idea-n1242355

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/biden-trump-coronavirus-vaccine/2020/09/16/2ffbea6a-f831-11ea-a275-1a2c2d36e1f1_story.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/kamala-harris-rejects-a-coronavirus-vaccine-from-trump-2020-10

6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah but I think it’s a life cycle thing.  In the beginning there is so much demand that creating more is a negative.  There does come a point where that pitch needs to start picking up.  It might still be too soon until the 65 plus group is decently penetrated.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yeah but I think it’s a life cycle thing.  In the beginning there is so much demand that creating more is a negative.  There does come a point where that pitch needs to start picking up.  It might still be too soon until the 65 plus group is decently penetrated.

Yeah baby 

5 minutes ago, John123 said:

I think the last one isn’t really proving a point. I wouldn’t take anything because a non-medical professional/scientist told me to. I also would listen to the health experts. But to the others, yeah that’s part of the problem. Republicans have said negative things as well.  But at this point both Trump and Biden, Rubio and Pelosi have gotten the vaccine. It’s clearly being taken by both parties so this should be an easy universal sell to most of the public. However we still aren’t doing that. 

10 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

Now is a critical time as many people wanted to wait and see the feedback and data on the early vaccinations.

And it would be easy to get both famous well respected Americans and everyday teachers, seniors, firefighters, etc on TV to talk about their experiences. 

• Like 1
Just now, Ilov80s said:

I think the last one isn’t really proving a point. I wouldn’t take anything because a non-medical professional/scientist told me to. I also would listen to the health experts. But to the others, yeah that’s part of the problem. Republicans have said negative things as well.  But at this point both Trump and Biden, Rubio and Pelosi have gotten the vaccine. It’s clearly being taken by both parties so this should be an easy universal sell to most of the public. However we still aren’t doing that. 

Well, I'm not hearing of significant vaccine going to waste.  It's hard to make an assessment of what will happen until there's enough vaccine for everyone.  My GF is in a high risk category and still hasn't been able to get the vaccine. 

My point with all the comments above is that some people hear things like that and make up their minds, and even when given new evidence cling to their original thoughts/opinions.  I thought it was irresponsible of not only politicians, but entire states, to act like we couldn't trust the vaccine since it was developed under the Trump administration.  And it was all for political points.  Simply disgusting.

I also agree with the point made previously in this thread that we should incentivize people to get the vaccine through policies such as not requiring them to wear masks after having done so.

9 minutes ago, John123 said:

Well, I'm not hearing of significant vaccine going to waste.  It's hard to make an assessment of what will happen until there's enough vaccine for everyone.  My GF is in a high risk category and still hasn't been able to get the vaccine. 

My point with all the comments above is that some people hear things like that and make up their minds, and even when given new evidence cling to their original thoughts/opinions.  I thought it was irresponsible of not only politicians, but entire states, to act like we couldn't trust the vaccine since it was developed under the Trump administration.  And it was all for political points.  Simply disgusting.

I also agree with the point made previously in this thread that we should incentivize people to get the vaccine through policies such as not requiring them to wear masks after having done so.

We shouldn’t be living in the right now. We need to prepare for and plan for the very very near future when we do have vaccines for everyone. That’s so close and it will be a huge screwup if get there and 30% of the county won’t get them.

We shouldn’t be living in the right now. We need to prepare for and plan for the very very near future when we do have vaccines for everyone. That’s so close and it will be a huge screwup if get there and 30% of the county won’t get them.

On this board there is a poll where around 20% wont or may not  get a shot. I expect that to be true national wide

13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Sure.  But there's a big difference between polls and reality.  Ask Hillary Clinton.  So, while we can plan for the possibility, we shouldn't assume that 50% of the population isn't getting the vaccine until that actually happens.  Most people I know are more than ready to get the vaccine. 

I suspect that if there are large percentages of people who won't get it they'll be in pockets.  In my city I expect most people will get it.  So my city should be fine to open up.  If there are specific cities where a good percentage of the population won't get it we can deal with them on an individual basis.  I think sometimes we try to tackle things nationally that really are local issues.

24 minutes ago, Mile High said:

On this board there is a poll where around 20% wont or may not  get a shot. I expect that to be true national wide

And Michigan just had a poll where over half of Republicans said they wouldn’t get it 

13 minutes ago, John123 said:

Sure.  But there's a big difference between polls and reality.  Ask Hillary Clinton.  So, while we can plan for the possibility, we shouldn't assume that 50% of the population isn't getting the vaccine until that actually happens.  Most people I know are more than ready to get the vaccine. 

I suspect that if there are large percentages of people who won't get it they'll be in pockets.  In my city I expect most people will get it.  So my city should be fine to open up.  If there are specific cities where a good percentage of the population won't get it we can deal with them on an individual basis.  I think sometimes we try to tackle things nationally that really are local issues.

Sure polls don’t always reflect reality perfectly but what else can you use for planning? You can’t just say polls have a X% margin of error so let’s fly by the seat of our pants. 

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

And Michigan just had a poll where over half of Republicans said they wouldn’t get it 

Sure polls don’t always reflect reality perfectly but what else can you use for planning? You can’t just say polls have a X% margin of error so let’s fly by the seat of our pants. 

Most recent polling I saw says that about 15% of Americans flat out refuse to get it and 55% say they have or intend to.   That leaves 30% on the fence.  Figure half of them get it, that leads to 70% of Americans vaccinated.   Maybe more, because the percentage that have been vaccinated + intend to be vaccinated is slowly rising as concerns about the safety of the vaccines decrease over time.   

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Meanwhile, in SF, animal rights protesters shut down a vaccination site (horseracing venue).

LINK

Always frustrating to see protesters harming their own cause.

Why would those 4 chuckleheads not just be hauled off? 

I suppose that would mean enforcing laws. Bay area doesnt play that way. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Why would those 4 chuckleheads not just be hauled off? 

I suppose that would mean enforcing laws. Bay area doesnt play that way. 

That pesky constitution.

Wife was able to get one today from one of the federal inoculation sites here in Central Florida.  It was quite the set up...I was really impressed.  Well done Army!!  Our state agencies could take some notes from them and our local groups.  

• Like 1

The republican led 2 trillion dollar CARES Act passed 96-0 with every democrat voting for it.

The democratic led 1.9 trillion dollar American Rescue Plan passed 50-49 with every republican voting against.

Democrats need to hammer this home at every opportunity they get. They voted unanimously to give aid to people and small businesses when given the opportunity, even if the first vote was giving a "win" to Trump and the republicans. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2
25 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

@GoBirds have anything of substance to add to the laughing emoji? Was there something incorrect in my post? Or something in particular you would like to discuss?

no.  The laughing emoji is the last resort.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
1 hour ago, dawgtrails said:

@GoBirds have anything of substance to add to the laughing emoji? Was there something incorrect in my post? Or something in particular you would like to discuss?

Just funny how you need to make poor comparison/excuses for the pork filled garbage that allocates only a small fraction to those who need it from covid and well past when they needed it after promising it immediately. But you already knew that, sorry you get so triggered when people see through posts like that. Have a good day. 

Edited by GoBirds
12 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Just funny how you need to make poor comparison/excuses for the pork filled garbage that allocates only a small fraction to those who need it from covid and well past when they needed it after promising it immediately. But you already knew that, sorry you get so triggered when people see through posts like that. Have a good day. 

Are you arguing that there was no pork in the CARES Act?

5 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

Are you arguing that there was no pork in the CARES Act?

I’m not arguing anything, just responding to your inability to handle my response to your post. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The opposition.......bahahaha

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2021/01/04/bidens-final-pitch-to-georgia-vote-blue-and-2000-checks-will-go-out-the-door-immediately/amp/

I keep trying to find the line where he explains “only if I can make it 90% pork”. :lmao:

Have fun trying to compare apples/oranges to support the false narrative, sorry everyone sees through it. :violin:

This seems to be an issue lately with multiple people.  Not willing to discuss or argue any issue...don't take an actual stance on anything (so nobody can claim you are for or against something...so instead laughing or responding towards posters rather than about post.  Mocking people rather than taking a position of your own.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
3 hours ago, GoBirds said:

This bill is full of pork. And so was last year's. This may be a winning strategy because we are a nation full of simple minded dullards though. 

• Sad 1

On 3/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, rockaction said:

Refusal to show even slight gestures of weakness, however symbolic? Why do certain leaders do what they do when it's obvious what's really going on?

It's a great question that I don't know the answer to. Perhaps ask the man.

Maybe a security issue?  Only thing that comes to mind.  This certainly wouldn't be the first headscratcher from that admin., though.

14 minutes ago, Sand said:

Maybe a security issue?  Only thing that comes to mind.  This certainly wouldn't be the first headscratcher from that admin., though.

I thought, at first, that it was so we didn't have panic in the streets. Very easy to see the populace getting out of control. But he'd already used up so much capital on prior falsehoods that I certainly didn't believe a word he said, so what was really the point of selling it to the public? I thought it might be because nobody knew and he didn't want to be alarmist. But when we got to the point of the great bleach debacle, though, it was at least somewhat clear how the virus acted, IIRC, and just showed a rank incompetence. We'll never know, really, what was the story behind the story. On a lot of things. I'd guess that given January 6th, you have to think that more than incompetence was in play for the man, and that it was indeed about power and retaining power.

20 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Show me where it says that protesting on private property is protected.

Well, it's a bit muddled. Once it becomes a federal site and is used for a public purpose, it might take on public properties. California also has by, state constitution protection, free speech rights guarantees on select private properties, so it might be that, too. Likely they weren't arrested because what rover said was right.

Edited by rockaction
On 3/2/2021 at 10:10 PM, tonydead said:

Its a BS claim. J&J has committed 100 million by then, there is only 200 million adults. Its meaningless if it's not shots in arms. :lol:. Holly crap.  

260 million adults.   

6 hours ago, sho nuff said:

This seems to be an issue lately with multiple people.  Not willing to discuss or argue any issue...don't take an actual stance on anything (so nobody can claim you are for or against something...so instead laughing or responding towards posters rather than about post.  Mocking people rather than taking a position of your own.

Almost makes you wonder if the true goal of a subset of folks is to just get the entire forum shut down.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, GoBirds said:

What's in this bill doesn't go to people who need it? 

24 minutes ago, The General said:

What's in this bill doesn't go to people who need it? 

I’m quite curious because everything I’ve seen referenced has been the foreign aide that was actually in the previous bill because it was also a budget bill.

14 hours ago, sho nuff said:

That's society these days. Can't be wrong if you don't take a stand.  

18 hours ago, sho nuff said:

There is an old saying (perhaps by Lincoln IIRC), "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Seems to apply around here more times than not.

13 hours ago, rockaction said:

Well, it's a bit muddled. Once it becomes a federal site and is used for a public purpose, it might take on public properties. California also has by, state constitution protection, free speech rights guarantees on select private properties, so it might be that, too. Likely they weren't arrested because what rover said was right.

There were 4 people on the track. Nothing is muddled. 

Eta: they were eventually arrested and cited for trespassing, so obviously not muddled. 

Edited by parasaurolophus
1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

There were 4 people on the track. Nothing is muddled. 

Eta: they were eventually arrested and cited for trespassing, so obviously not muddled. 

Your overall complaint that there is no free speech on private property in California is incorrect. Somebody should tell you that before you go running around making blanket declarations to the contrary. The people in question might have had the right to protest, but might have been arrested for a time, manner, place violation or protesting without a permit. At times, in places of business that are open to invitees in California, especially including privately-owned malls as in the Pruneyard precedent, there is the right of protest and assembly under the state Constitution. And the state can force the landowners to allow protests on its own privately-owned property. 

Actually, your declarative tone made me want to dig. The owners of the racetrack and property claim to be fine with the protestors, only the ones on the track were arrested. They were not blocking access to the vaccine nor in people's way, per their claims, but rather, preventing the horses from running that afternoon.  They were cited, but they had broken into the physical racetrack itself and were laying on it. So, yes, still muddled regarding whether or not the protests could happen on that particular private property, especially if the private property included sidewalks or had other trappings necessary for the public to move around in and get from a Point A to Point B.