Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Government Response To The Coronavirus

• Replies 29.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is going to be a one off post because I don't want to get trolled or banned but if I were American, the context of Canada would be the biggest damning fact of how things have been handled in the

Australia has had months of little to no community spread and even then it was confined to one state. By and large Australians are running around doing the right thing, sport was and is still hap

I am confident we are going to hit >750K deaths.  I think it might be a million.  I don't post a ton but I'm an ER doc in a big city. This is by far the worse I've seen since the pandemic star

7 minutes ago, moleculo said:

If only there was a number between 1 and 24 that could represent the amount of time some people wear a mask on a daily basis.

Go for it, define "each use".

The CDC recommends washing your mask after each use, and you can wash it in a washing machine or by hand. If using a washing machine, don't be afraid to wash your mask along with your regular laundry — with standard laundry detergent and the warmest water the cloth material of your mask can handle.

38 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Good explanation... I'm guessing it's because you couldn't come up with one other than your own personal disgusting breath.

Let's imagine there was a pole here.

Wearing the same mask an hour or two a day everyday for 6 months without washing it

Is it A) nasty B) totally fine 

What would be the results?

43 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Wearing a mask an hour a day or every other day and leaving it in the car isn't gonna breed mold

Gtfo here

Sure it is.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Good explanation... I'm guessing it's because you couldn't come up with one other than your own personal disgusting breath.

Wearing the same mask an hour or two a day everyday for 6 months without washing it

• Laughing 1
12 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

Another great non-answer. Bravo!

This place is also littered with people who haven't left their house in a year.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, moleculo said:

I didn't say an hour a day, did I?  

*checks notes* nope.

I wfh and the few times I leave the house to wear a mask it's appx an hour

37 minutes ago, moleculo said:

Maybe you don't have allergies to mold or asthma?

Nope

6 minutes ago, jobarules said:

You are on an island here friend. Take the loss and move on. It's OK

34 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Weird thing to say when you’re the one who said you only wear a mask for an hour every day or every other day. 

7 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

Weird thing to say when you’re the one who said you only wear a mask for an hour every day or every other day. 

Newsflash: I dont wear a mask everytime I leave the house. Outdoors almost never. Visiting friends/family. Never

12 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

You spend time in people's houses without a mask on?  That's a good way to catch this thing.

Yes. You think I don't know that?

Been a year so far and willing to live with the risks like an adult 🤷‍♂️

27 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Newsflash: I dont wear a mask everytime I leave the house. Outdoors almost never. Visiting friends/family. Never

Then maybe don’t mock people as never leaving the house when most clearly go out and wear masks more often than you. Do you think the reason people find your unwashed mask disgusting is because they don’t leave the house?

33 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Ok, so you are taking on that risk knowing the consequences.  Glad you've thought that through. 

Have you thought about how this behavior might change the behavior of others? Say those that are more at risk of severe consequences than you are.

14 hours ago, moleculo said:

Warm moisture from your breath create a nice breeding ground for mold/bacteria/etc.

don't wear a mask - problem solved :) 

13 hours ago, The Commish said:

I might regret asking this, but how often do you change your tooth brush?

every time you use it ?

but a toothbrush ... don't most people wash it out under hot water upon completing their brushing?  a little different

12 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

You spend time in people's houses without a mask on?  That's a good way to catch this thing.

considering 300 million American's have not caught this virus .... like 90% haven't caught the virus and now, likely won't

12 hours ago, Biff84 said:

Do you think the reason people find your unwashed mask disgusting is because they don’t leave the house?

nobody knows if someone elses mask is clean or dirty

you also don't know if that person 6' in front of you is covid infectious or not, or ebola, or swine flu and maybe that person hasn't  brushed their teeth either

you can't tell by looking 

and the majority of people do NOT single use a mask - that's BS

a Saturday out would be going to Wal-Mart - 1 mask

going to Kohls - 1 mask

going to lunch - 1 mask

gas station - 1 mask

grocery store - 1 mask

stopping at a friends - 1 mask

ya'll don't carry 6-8 or 10 masks in your car and you're not washing them daily - I know it, you know it

my point was - people ignore the CDC guidelines, the very people saying we need to trust science and follow CDC guidelines. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

Obviously the vaccine rollout is a super great thing - but man, we are still at early May of 2020 deaths and peak summer of 2020 new cases

Yep and that is before the surge that may come after spring break.   We are not over this yet many states are behaving as if we are

36 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

every time you use it ?

but a toothbrush ... don't most people wash it out under hot water upon completing their brushing?  a little different

You use your toothbrush once and get a new one?  Agree that toothbrushes and masks are a little different but not significantly different.  I wonder if people realize exactly what is going on in the average mouth.  Seems like the answer is no :mellow: 

• Like 1

Masks - totally fine, if not the absolute best practice, to wear it several times before washing. Especially if it is worn for an hour or two tops. 

Toothbrush - should be replaced every few months. 6 months tops.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Yep and that is before the surge that may come after spring break.   We are not over this yet many states are behaving as if we are

This is not about avoiding every death. We have to learn to live with this. Most experts now dont expect an uptick in cases but more of a plateau (which our hospitals can handle). I expect more and more to open up and summer to be back to normal.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, jobarules said:

This is not about avoiding every death. We have to learn to live with this. Most experts now dont expect an uptick in cases but more of a plateau (which our hospitals can handle). I expect more and more to open up and summer to be back to normal.

Of course not and I expect things to begin to return to normal by early summer as well but we are still averaging 50,000 new cases and 1,500 deaths per day in this country.  That is still higher than it was at any point last year before November.

To me it seems prudent to use precautions for another 4 weeks to give time to vaccinate the majority of Americans willing to take it

37 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

Masks - totally fine, if not the absolute best practice, to wear it several times before washing. Especially if it is worn for an hour or two tops. 

Toothbrush - should be replaced every few months. 6 months tops.

I guess I'm weird....I can't go more than 6 weeks before getting grossed out :X

14 hours ago, jobarules said:

An adult wouldn’t take that shot and would understand it’s a personal choice

19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

An adult wouldn’t take that shot and would understand it’s a personal choice

Huh? You think adults havent been gathering indoors this past year? Are you delusional?

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

You use your toothbrush once and get a new one?  Agree that toothbrushes and masks are a little different but not significantly different.  I wonder if people realize exactly what is going on in the average mouth.  Seems like the answer is no :mellow: 

no, I was being silly

nobody changes toothbrushes every time they use one

still baffles me a bit that we're suppose to be so eco-friendly and yet nobody has a problem with

94 million face masks being thrown away every week ...

environmentjournal.online › articles › 94-million-face-...

Nov 20, 2020 — In total, the researchers estimated that 94 million face masks are being thrown away every single week. The vast majority (75%) of those asked ...

2 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

nobody knows if someone elses mask is clean or dirty

you also don't know if that person 6' in front of you is covid infectious or not, or ebola, or swine flu and maybe that person hasn't  brushed their teeth either

you can't tell by looking 

and the majority of people do NOT single use a mask - that's BS

a Saturday out would be going to Wal-Mart - 1 mask

going to Kohls - 1 mask

going to lunch - 1 mask

gas station - 1 mask

grocery store - 1 mask

stopping at a friends - 1 mask

ya'll don't carry 6-8 or 10 masks in your car and you're not washing them daily - I know it, you know it

my point was - people ignore the CDC guidelines, the very people saying we need to trust science and follow CDC guidelines. 

1 mask per day. You use it throughout the day. The next day you use a different one. How often you wash them depends on how many masks you have. Once they get washed, they go back into rotation. Most people I know aren’t wearing one mask multiple days without washing them. It may be hard for you to understand that but there are lots of people washing their masks regularly. I use disposable masks for work and get a new one daily.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Huh? You think adults havent been gathering indoors this past year? Are you delusional?

Most people I know have not in fact been gathering indoors. Sure, some have - and it is probably regional as to the extent, but in general I think people have done a solid job suffring through this

12 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

Most people I know have not in fact been gathering indoors. Sure, some have - and it is probably regional as to the extent, but in general I think people have done a solid job suffring through this

Like i said earlier people on this site live in lala land

2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Of course not and I expect things to begin to return to normal by early summer as well but we are still averaging 50,000 new cases and 1,500 deaths per day in this country.  That is still higher than it was at any point last year before November.

To me it seems prudent to use precautions for another 4 weeks to give time to vaccinate the majority of Americans willing to take it

When you add the new cases of "long haulers" the potential benefits of wearing masks a little longer are even greater. It's not just about ICU metrics and deaths.

3 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

considering 300 million American's have not caught this virus .... like 90% haven't caught the virus and now, likely won't

Can you show your math on that?

16 hours ago, jobarules said:

Not sure why you equate the "adult" thing to do base actions on your risk tolerances and not looking at it as a community effort.  

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, jobarules said:
1 hour ago, dawgtrails said:

:shrug:

not sure why you assume that your take is any more/less accurate

1 hour ago, jobarules said:

Many people have not been gathering indoors. A ton of people where I live have remained effectively locked down voluntarily. I have at least four friends who have not been out to eat in over a year.

3 hours ago, Biff84 said:

1 mask per day. You use it throughout the day. The next day you use a different one. How often you wash them depends on how many masks you have. Once they get washed, they go back into rotation. Most people I know aren’t wearing one mask multiple days without washing them. It may be hard for you to understand that but there are lots of people washing their masks regularly. I use disposable masks for work and get a new one daily.

so you believe the CDC is wrong - that after each use they don't need washed but rather, once a day ?

disposable = killing the earth 

48 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

so you believe the CDC is wrong - that after each use they don't need washed but rather, once a day ?

My employer supplies us with KN-95 masks that are to be changed daily. It’s required because we often come into close contact with people during our job especially when giving shots. The full effectiveness can only be guaranteed for one day.

I treat cloth masks the same, one day worth of use no matter how many stops and then switch. I don’t know what the CDC recommendation is but common sense tells me that I don’t need a new mask at each stop if I’m handling it properly.

3 hours ago, Apple Jack said:

Many people have not been gathering indoors. A ton of people where I live have remained effectively locked down voluntarily. I have at least four friends who have not been out to eat in over a year.

Same here.  That won't end if the virus is gone tomorrow.  We may see people wearing masks for years to come.

Just now, FairWarning said:

Same here.  That won't end if the virus is gone tomorrow either.  We may see people wearing masks for years to come.

7 hours ago, Apple Jack said:

Pointing out 4 anecdotal hypochondriacs doesnt discount his claim that millions of people went about their lives pretty normally.  

• Like 3
5 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Same here.  That won't end if the virus is gone tomorrow.  We may see people wearing masks for years to come.

I’m on record saying we’d be wearing masks into 2022. Not just because people want to, there are plenty that won’t want to give up their security blanket and their binkys. But rather there will be government will fund a reason for mandates, not enough people vaccinated, herd immunity, the regular flu. It’s going to be ridiculous. 

7 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

You are hung up on this :lmao:

CDC provides the best measures people can take.

You can do whatever you want. You want to wear an old sock on your face have at it, you want to have one mask you wear for months, enjoy!