What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can Google the reasoning but essentially Fauci was saying continue to wear masks because we don’t know how protected you are against these variants that are appearing now in the US.

Other Senators went further and said mask wearing after you have been sick with Covid helps establish to others that we should continue to wear these things until we are out of the woods.
Which is stupid

If the vaccines don't work, why get them? If the vaccines do work, why wear a mask? The variants and covid itself are never going to go away. It's time vaccinated people return to normalcy. Are we at that point that they should unmask? Maybe not because it's hard to police but I think that point should be MUCH sooner than later and this clown seems to want to go on forever with masks. Look I get it, he's a doctor and I'm sure he wants to save every life but at some point common sense needs to kick in.

You can Google the reasoning but essentially Fauci was saying continue to wear masks because we don’t know how protected you are against these variants that are appearing now in the US.

Other Senators went further and said mask wearing after you have been sick with Covid helps establish to others that we should continue to wear these things until we are out of the woods.
I cant find the study Fauci was talking about where he said the 351 variant can reinfect previously infected people like they never had it. Although he kind of stumbles there and could have misspoke and meant vaccinated.  I might have heard wrong too. 

He specifically said it was a johnson amd johnson study and the only thing I can find is this

I cant find the study Fauci was talking about where he said the 351 variant can reinfect previously infected people like they never had it. Although he kind of stumbles there and could have misspoke and meant vaccinated.  I might have heard wrong too. 

He specifically said it was a johnson amd johnson study and the only thing I can find is this
I don’t know any of these studies one way or the other. I did see something on Twitter regarding some study that sounded as if reinfection was possible.

I have no reason to distrust Fauci or the CDC and will continue to do my best to follow what they say as much as I can.

Which is stupid

If the vaccines don't work, why get them? If the vaccines do work, why wear a mask? The variants and covid itself are never going to go away. It's time vaccinated people return to normalcy. Are we at that point that they should unmask? Maybe not because it's hard to police but I think that point should be MUCH sooner than later and this clown seems to want to go on forever with masks. Look I get it, he's a doctor and I'm sure he wants to save every life but at some point common sense needs to kick in.
I think the point is the vaccine isn't 100%, doesn't cover every strain, and only a small portion of the population have the vaccine.  

I think the long and short of it is the dude can't win at this point.  We have people watching his moves to see if he breaks protocol or ever didn't have a mask on around people, and we have people complaining that he is still wearing one for theater.  Goes with the territory, I guess.

I think the point is the vaccine isn't 100%, doesn't cover every strain, and only a small portion of the population have the vaccine.  

I think the long and short of it is the dude can't win at this point.  We have people watching his moves to see if he breaks protocol or ever didn't have a mask on around people, and we have people complaining that he is still wearing one for theater.  Goes with the territory, I guess.
From what I've read, they are confident the vaccines will cover the strains (as of right now anyways).

Nothing in life is 100% except death and taxes

Which is stupid

I trust his judgement over “common sense” arguments so will continue to follow guidance from him and the CDC as much as I can. Am I wearing two masks on a bike ride, no.

People can do whatever they want. Good luck!

From what I've read, they are confident the vaccines will cover the strains (as of right now anyways).
They are confident.  The only study I have seen was the February lab test showing I think a 12% reduction in antibodies with one of the variants. Remember when it was “if you are exhibiting symptoms wear a mask?”  We’ve gone so far from what is reasonable that we don’t even recognize it anymore.  

Link

Just one of the first I came across.  I see ranges from 85%-95%.     Plus part of the equation is the % of the population who have gotten it is small.  

Yeah because you have common sense
Not sure what you mean.

I will trust Fauci over your opinion if that’s what you mean. Sorry. I’d expect you to trust his judgement over anyone on this board.

It’s a free country do whatever you want. A guy with a lifetime of experience is doing this is trying to provide broad guidance. If you don’t want to follow it, have at it.

Link

Just one of the first I came across.  I see ranges from 85%-95%.     Plus part of the equation is the % of the population who have gotten it is small.  
This is what Rand Paul is talking about, and why he takes issue with the message Fauci and the government are giving us.  Studies have shown that even when someone vaccinated (or who has had Covid and recovered) gets reinfected they are either asympomatic or have very mild symptoms.  IOW, once you've had Covid or been vaccinated you're pretty close to 100% safe to go about your life and not worry about the virus.  But the messaging being put out there is that EVERYONE, even those who have had Covid or been vaccinated, should be living life as they have for the last 12 months.  Rand Paul thinks a good incentive to get people vaccinated is for the messaging to be that you've been vaccinated, you're protected, go ahead and live your life without restrictions.  And he asked Fauci for something scientific to show why people shouldn't do exactly that and Fauci couldn't give him anything. 

So what is the agenda that Fauci has in suggesting wearing masks? Before the suggestion was that he was trying to make Trump look bad. Is he heavily leveraged in the mask making biz? Is he a diva that loves attention? Does he love wearing 2 masks?

I don’t get it. 

Not sure what you mean.

I will trust Fauci over your opinion if that’s what you mean. Sorry. I’d expect you to trust his judgement over anyone on this board.

It’s a free country do whatever you want. A guy with a lifetime of experience is doing this is trying to provide broad guidance. If you don’t want to follow it, have at it.
Exactly.  This entire discussion makes me grateful that we have an experienced public health official like Fauci to listen to, as opposed to “wisdom of the crowds.”  Just some horrifically disturbing viewpoints out there, anti-science and anti-logic.

So what is the agenda that Fauci has in suggesting wearing masks? Before the suggestion was that he was trying to make Trump look bad. Is he heavily leveraged in the mask making biz? Is he a diva that loves attention? Does he love wearing 2 masks?

I don’t get it. 
I dunno

Hes gotten so much wrong I don't know why we even trust him at this point. 

This is what Rand Paul is talking about, and why he takes issue with the message Fauci and the government are giving us.  Studies have shown that even when someone vaccinated (or who has had Covid and recovered) gets reinfected they are either asympomatic or have very mild symptoms.  IOW, once you've had Covid or been vaccinated you're pretty close to 100% safe to go about your life and not worry about the virus.  But the messaging being put out there is that EVERYONE, even those who have had Covid or been vaccinated, should be living life as they have for the last 12 months.  Rand Paul thinks a good incentive to get people vaccinated is for the messaging to be that you've been vaccinated, you're protected, go ahead and live your life without restrictions.  And he asked Fauci for something scientific to show why people shouldn't do exactly that and Fauci couldn't give him anything. 
But mask wearing isn't for protecting the person as much as protecting the people around you.   So I took what Fauci was saying as meaning that it's best for everybody to continue to wear masks until a large % of the population is vaccinated.  

I don’t get it. 
I never said he had an agenda.  I just think the guy is not very good at his job.

I dunno

Hes gotten so much wrong I don't know why we even trust him at this point. 
I’m guessing he’s gotten a lot more right than wrong. The things he’s gotten wrong perhaps other things were at play.

He knows more about this stuff and the process of working through things of this scale with our government than probably most people on the planet. 

But mask wearing isn't for protecting the person as much as protecting the people around you.   So I took what Fauci was saying as meaning that it's best for everybody to continue to wear masks until a large % of the population is vaccinated.  
Protect the people around you from what?

The virus.   Me wearing a mask and keeping my nose and mouth droplets to myself isn't doing much for me.  
We're talking about vaccinated people and those who have had Covid.  That's who Rand Paul is talking about.  You don't need to be protected from them.  They shouldn't have to wear a mask.

If you find yourself ever agreeing with Rand Paul, reevaluate your life. His perspective makes sense if you understand he is one of the most selfish humans to ever live. Mask for vaccinated people ate primarily about protecting others, which he doesn't even consider. I do think we are probably being overly conservative with our advice. However if I am right, people have to have cloth in their face when they didn't need to. If I am wrong, people die. Given this being overly conservative isn't an irrational position. 

We're talking about vaccinated people and those who have had Covid.  That's who Rand Paul is talking about.  You don't need to be protected from them.  They shouldn't have to wear a mask.
Of course we are.  From what I understood the message to be - Fauci was saying that the vaccines aren't 100%, so just because YOU have been vaccinated and maybe YOU might get mild symptoms if you do get covid after that, it doesn't mean that you can't pass that to somebody else who hasn't been vaccinated.   Hence, suggesting to continue to wear masks until a large % of the population are vaccinated (or at least those that want to get vaccinated).  

If you find yourself ever agreeing with Rand Paul, reevaluate your life. His perspective makes sense if you understand he is one of the most selfish humans to ever live. Mask for vaccinated people ate primarily about protecting others, which he doesn't even consider. I do think we are probably being overly conservative with our advice. However if I am right, people have to have cloth in their face when they didn't need to. If I am wrong, people die. Given this being overly conservative isn't an irrational position. 
Yes.

Of course we are.  From what I understood the message to be - Fauci was saying that the vaccines aren't 100%, so just because YOU have been vaccinated and maybe YOU might get mild symptoms if you do get covid after that, it doesn't mean that you can't pass that to somebody else who hasn't been vaccinated.   Hence, suggesting to continue to wear masks until a large % of the population are vaccinated (or at least those that want to get vaccinated).  
That may or may not be the message, but where is the science?  We've been told for a year to follow the science.  So where is it?  Even if it's possible, we were also told that the lockdowns and other measures we're taking were to flatten the curve.  At some point it's flat enough.  We can't do all this stuff forever. 

That may or may not be the message, but where is the science?  We've been told for a year to follow the science.  So where is it?  Even if it's possible, we were also told that the lockdowns and other measures we're taking were to flatten the curve.  At some point it's flat enough.  We can't do all this stuff forever. 
Lockdowns are lifting all over the place. Meanwhile Europe is reentering them. Slow and steady as we continue to get vaccinated seems to be working.

As far as I know there is no current science supporting his theory that a vaccinated person can pass Covid on to someone else, especially if they aren’t exhibiting symptoms.  And if there is someone out there who is unvaccinated and not wearing a mask, well it’s on them if they get it.  There are a lot of scientists out there who have disagreed with Fauci the past year.  He’s not infallible.  And the fact is he has thoroughly missed the boat on some critical items. For the first month of the virus incubating in the US he told people NOT to wear a mask. That’s not exactly a minor mistake.

Time to ditch the masks guys.

Fauci and the Dems will try to keep mask wearing normalized.  We will still be wearing them in 2022 and then they will want to wear them for the flu. Mark my words. 
I agree. I’ll continue to mask up for another couple months, but after that the country needs to return to some semblance of normalcy.  And masks are not normal.  Humans are meant to see people’s faces.  I’m especially worried about kids.  These are formative years where they learn to read people and connect.  They’re already disconnected enough with all the damn cell phones.

As far as I know there is no current science supporting his theory that a vaccinated person can pass Covid on to someone else, especially if they aren’t exhibiting symptoms.  And if there is someone out there who is unvaccinated and not wearing a mask, well it’s on them if they get it.  There are a lot of scientists out there who have disagreed with Fauci the past year.  He’s not infallible.  And the fact is he has thoroughly missed the boat on some critical items. For the first month of the virus incubating in the US he told people NOT to wear a mask. That’s not exactly a minor mistake.
The exchange that him and Paul had Fauci was saying that he was uncertain about these strains (the Brazilian one namely) they have shown up in the US. That’s what I thought at least.

One of the Senators pointed out that it could perhaps show up as an optics thing. People being unmasked in public because they have been vaccinated could serve as a deterrent to others wearing them (why do I have to wear this #### other people aren’t). Things are tending down, wide spread mask wearing undoubtably has played a part in this so just keep it up as we get the population shot up.

Just need to get those shots into people as fast as possible without further spikes. 

The guy went from saying masks don't work to vaccinated people should wear two masks. That's a pretty big difference 

Fauci repeatedly said not to wear masks. Once saying they are more harmful. April 3rd the CDC guidelines updated to facial coverings, only then did Dr (Dr, lol) Fauci start to change his tune.  

Speak for yourself there Mr know-it-all.  During the early, most critical time during this thing, he said not to wear a mask.  Clown show. 
Fauci was incorrect with that it turns out. He also seemed to be hedging it a bit worrying that there would be a run on this stuff. Surgeon General made a similar public statement that like that a week or so before Fauci.

A few weeks later Fauci was inline with wearing masks are an effective tool.

That’s been the message since (meanwhile Trump a month later was still flouting not to wear one and that it was a personal attack at him :lol:  ).

Fauci was incorrect with that it turns out. He also seemed to be hedging it a bit worrying that there would be a run on this stuff. Surgeon General made a similar public statement that like that a week or so before Fauci.

A few weeks later Fauci was inline with wearing masks are an effective tool.

That’s been the message since (meanwhile Trump a month later was still flouting not to wear one and that it was a personal attack at him :lol:  ).
Trump is a moron. Hes smarter than Trump. You happy? Still doesn't make him good at his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread