What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great thread talking about confusion around "airborne" medical guidance, WHO's specific guidelines, and why what you think you know may not be right.
Nope. Thats a terrible thread. 

First it is a thinly veiled attempt at attacking Jose luiz jimenez and calling him sexist.

Second she mentions getting your hand sneezed on and then touching your nose or mouth twice

Third the semantics debate has always been started by her and her ilk. The different definitions of aerosols vs droplets come from her group. Aerosol scientists are pretty clear.

4th she uses WHO definitions to back up her argument that actually contradict her argument(SARS2 has been proven to infect over distances and time as was SARS1 which is labeled airborne by WHO) and she uses a definition of aerosol generating procedures which has been conclusively proven to be nonsensical(tests have proven standard human activity actually generates the same or more aerosol particles than AGPs).

The rest is just WHO propaganda, which Rasmussen has been in on since the beginning.

Also if you think she is trustworthy and credible this is the same person that says you can get take out food because even if somebody sneezed on your salad you would be ok. She gave tons of interviews promoting food safety, surely just because she enjoys carry out. 

And now in an effort to combat the downward trajectory of a droplet making it unable to be inhaled says that it could land on your hand and then you touch your mouth. When you tell people to stay apart because the droplets fall to the ground, you also have to figure out a way to explain how they can still get sick at distance while arguing that it doesnt meet the long range definitions of airborne diseases. 

Think about the mental gymnastics involved there and it is easy to see she just contorts herself based on agenda. Some rando sneezes on your hand from 10 feet away. Hand touches mouth. Infection! Somebody sneezes on your salad. Salad touches your mouth. No infection!

And before anybody brings up monday morning QBing i pointed out the salad contradiction in the other thread in real time many, many months ago.

I was definitely fooled by her early on, but eventually realized she was just thriving on the attention. 

Nope. Thats a terrible thread. 

First it is a thinly veiled attempt at attacking Jose luiz jimenez and calling him sexist.

Second she mentions getting your hand sneezed on and then touching your nose or mouth twice

Third the semantics debate has always been started by her and her ilk. The different definitions of aerosols vs droplets come from her group. Aerosol scientists are pretty clear.

4th she uses WHO definitions to back up her argument that actually contradict her argument(SARS2 has been proven to infect over distances and time as was SARS1 which is labeled airborne by WHO) and she uses a definition of aerosol generating procedures which has been conclusively proven to be nonsensical(tests have proven standard human activity actually generates the same or more aerosol particles than AGPs).

The rest is just WHO propaganda, which Rasmussen has been in on since the beginning.

Also if you think she is trustworthy and credible this is the same person that says you can get take out food because even if somebody sneezed on your salad you would be ok. She gave tons of interviews promoting food safety, surely just because she enjoys carry out. 

And now in an effort to combat the downward trajectory of a droplet making it unable to be inhaled says that it could land on your hand and then you touch your mouth. When you tell people to stay apart because the droplets fall to the ground, you also have to figure out a way to explain how they can still get sick at distance while arguing that it doesnt meet the long range definitions of airborne diseases. 

Think about the mental gymnastics involved there and it is easy to see she just contorts herself based on agenda. Some rando sneezes on your hand from 10 feet away. Hand touches mouth. Infection! Somebody sneezes on your salad. Salad touches your mouth. No infection!

And before anybody brings up monday morning QBing i pointed out the salad contradiction in the other thread in real time many, many months ago.

I was definitely fooled by her early on, but eventually realized she was just thriving on the attention. 
One thing I won't miss when this is FINALLY in the rear-view is the bevy of Twitter personas who are building brands off this pandemic. I've long felt she is a good example of that.

Over 6 million shots administered over the weekend. 44 million Americans fully vaccinated. 81 million have gotten at least one dose.

Only 61 days into Biden's presidency

The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were created within days of the genome sequence being released and were in human testing in February and April, respectively.  Once they got through trials, the rest of the time before they were released was obtaining FDA emergency approval.  Stephen Hahn was appointed by Trump as Commissioner of Food and Drugs and headed up the FDA.  Are you saying that Trump delayed the vaccine approval until after election night?   
Trump delayed nothing - when were the dates that they said "we have a vaccine" 

after the election IIRC

This is how I remember it. Supply and demand was crazy. I remember facemasks in and hand sanitizer selling for 100’s of times normal costs from some retailers.  I always understood the narrative to be about a lack of supply for our Frontline workers.  
That was the narrative in October after people really started calling out Fauci for it.  But right, the run on masks happened anyway because most people aren't dumb.  If it was a calculated lie it was monumentally stupid because the whole cloth/make your own mask was delayed and the run on masks happened anyway.  

Today, most people you see are still wearing their own self made / cloth / bandana / gator mask.  Not N95 or surgical masks that they may have been scared into lying because of short supply.   

I don't think either of these scenarios are likely to lead to COVID-19 infection -- especially not the salad one, gross as it is.

I don't think either of these scenarios are likely to lead to COVID-19 infection -- especially not the salad one, gross as it is.
They are exactly the same level of risk. In order to eat salad you have to put the salad in your mouth. At least with hot food the heat could kill the virus, but she specifically said salad. 

You cant say that mysterious hand spraying is a big risk, but that sneezing on unheated food wouldnt be. It shows she goes with the way the wind blows. 

On a side note, one funny back and forth between the two of us in the other thread where I called out Rasmussen for some other messaging. I actually said the below snippet in the conversation

Unless they are saying the respiratory droplets that somebody coughs are somehow magically attracted to your hands 
Guess she was kind of saying that.

I have no issue with it and continue to wear a mask where required without complaint. My reply was to simply point out that it hasn't been proven since he seemed to imply that it has.
In general it's crazy to me that even after all this time there's still some big unknowns - not implying anything with this comment, I think the experts are the experts - just like meteorologists are the weather experts and make countless "mistakes".  If being a virus expert were easy there would be a lot more people with true knowledge about it.  Instead you get armchair scientists on the internet who are doing nothing more than regurgitating things they've read from sources they like and trying to act like they know what the hell is going on

*Obviously none of this is directed at you

the moops said:
Over 6 million shots administered over the weekend. 44 million Americans fully vaccinated. 81 million have gotten at least one dose.
No matter how you feel about how things have been handled from the start until now, you have to applaud both the Trump and Biden administration for getting us to where we are with the vaccine rollout.  Assuming the dashboard I reviewed earlier is correct, we are 4th globally in vaccines administered per 100 people at around 10 in 100.  We still have a long ways to go but I'm hopeful that in a few months we can be relatively close to "normal".

No matter how you feel about how things have been handled from the start until now, you have to applaud both the Trump and Biden administration for getting us to where we are with the vaccine rollout.  Assuming the dashboard I reviewed earlier is correct, we are 4th globally in vaccines administered per 100 people at around 10 in 100.  We still have a long ways to go but I'm hopeful that in a few months we can be relatively close to "normal".
I dont really give credit to either. Right now demand is super high. There isnt some great strategy going on.

I mean my wife and I have been stalk calling the local pharmacies trying to see if they have any doses that will go unused since we arent in any of the groups yet. Some of her coworkers and her sister got the vaccine this way and told us about it. My brother in law got vaccinated in another state because his group was opened there before his home state. 

So for now a chimp could do this. If there was some great plan we would already be seeing way better messaging to promote it for once the demand dries up. 

Thats when Biden will stop taking credit and start blaming the states. 

I dont really give credit to either. Right now demand is super high. There isnt some great strategy going on.

I mean my wife and I have been stalk calling the local pharmacies trying to see if they have any doses that will go unused since we arent in any of the groups yet. Some of her coworkers and her sister got the vaccine this way and told us about it. My brother in law got vaccinated in another state because his group was opened there before his home state. 

So for now a chimp could do this. If there was some great plan we would already be seeing way better messaging to promote it for once the demand dries up. 

This (unused doses) kinda started happening here and our local officials have taken it upon themselves to lower the age despite what the Governor has said.  In Orange County, it's 40+ (if the Governor decides not to sue to stop it)....as of right now, I am scheduled for 3/30 to get mine.  Right now, state is only vaccinating 60+ age...the federal government is vaccinating 50+ age, at risk people and teachers, front line workers etc and Orange County is 40+ 

This thing would be a lot easier if politics weren't involved.  

With logistics are large as this there's definitely some credit to go around - I have no delusions that Trump or Biden had/have much to do with it but they are in charge so I'm fine with applauding them for now.  You seem to have your mind made up claiming Biden will throw states under the bus later.

With logistics are large as this there's definitely some credit to go around - I have no delusions that Trump or Biden had/have much to do with it but they are in charge so I'm fine with applauding them for now.  You seem to have your mind made up claiming Biden will throw states under the bus later.
In your years on this planet do you have a lot of experience with politicians owning up to problems? 

I dont.

When people say the UK variant are they attempting to disparage a country and its leaders/people?

Intent matters folks
I have no problem disparaging the Communist Chinese Government who started this whole mess by hiding the seriousness of the outbreak for months. Apparently you do.

I have no problem disparaging the Communist Chinese Government who started this whole mess by hiding the seriousness of the outbreak for months. Apparently you do.
you didn't say "Communist Chinese Government" virus, you said "China" virus. 

I'm sure you know that China is more than it's government.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were created within days of the genome sequence being released and were in human testing in February and April, respectively.  Once they got through trials, the rest of the time before they were released was obtaining FDA emergency approval.  Stephen Hahn was appointed by Trump as Commissioner of Food and Drugs and headed up the FDA.  Are you saying that Trump delayed the vaccine approval until after election night?   
Trump delayed nothing - when were the dates that they said "we have a vaccine" 

after the election IIRC
You don't seem to have read my post. 

Moderna and Pfizer developed their vaccines immediately after receiving the map of the genome.  They were in trials before Operation Warp Speed was created.    The gap between development and release was trials and FDA emergency approval.  Trump's appointee was in charge of the FDA that entire time. 

There is no merit to a claim that the vaccines were delayed until after the election, but if that completely false claim were true, it would have been the Trump administration in charge of the delay.   

We knew about the seriousness of this since March yet here we are. I am unsure how different we would have collectively acted if the Communist Chinese Government told us the truth from the beginning. 

We knew about the seriousness of this since March yet here we are. I am unsure how different we would have collectively acted if the Communist Chinese Government told us the truth from the beginning. 
We knew the seriousness of it in January.   

What would you say if an American leader also deliberately downplayed the severity to try to improve his re-election chances? You can blame China’s secrecy and lies for the initial surge in NY but we knew better after that.

might be mistaken but Canada has completely botched the vaccine rollout in that I don't think they have a vaccine.  something about they ordered a bunch of vaccines from China & they didn't work.

OK. Doesn't change the gist of my post though,right?
They reported a cluster of viral pneumonia in mid-December and got the WHO involved.   They recognized it as coronavirus on January 10 and announced it on January 11.   Trump was briefed on it by US intelligence on January 13.    Moderna's vaccine was developed on January 13 based on the release of the genetic map of the virus by Chinese scientists.  Human to human transmission was confirmed on January 20.

Unless you believe that it was developed in a lab and accidentally released, what should have been done differently, other than shutting down outgoing flights? 

Last edited by a moderator:
What would you say if an American leader also deliberately downplayed the severity to try to improve his re-election chances? You can blame China’s secrecy and lies for the initial surge in NY but we knew better after that.
How'd that work our for him?

They reported a cluster of viral pneumonia in mid-December and got the WHO involved.   They recognized it as coronavirus on January 10 and announced it on January 11.   Trump was briefed on it by US intelligence on January 13.    Moderna's vaccine was developed on January 13 based on the release of the genetic map of the virus by Chinese scientists.  Human to human transmission was confirmed on January 20.

Unless you believe that it was developed in a lab and accidentally released, what should have been done differently, other than shutting down outgoing flights? 
You gotta be ####in kidding me. 

You mean facts?  Yeah, they can be confusing.  

What evidence do you have of a Chinese government conspiracy?   What, specifically, should they have done differently?   
The only thing I can find is that after a scientist had already published the genetic code without government permission they waited three weeks to give it to WHO, which already had it.

You understand that Trump was fully briefed on January 13 and did essentially nothing with that information for 70 days, right?   Is that the Chinese government's fault, too?

Are you sure you are supposed to be quoting me here? I clearly say that even with full information from the very beginning (whether that is 2 weeks after th fact or 3 weeks, or even as you say, we knew everything from the beginning) we would still be where we are because of actions/inactions from everyone

Yep it's ALL Trumps fault not China at all. 
I'm waiting for your explanation of what China should have done differently.  You seem to have some information that this was primarily the Chinese government's fault.   Do you have facts to back that up?  I'm truly interested, because I haven't seen them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread