What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure you are supposed to be quoting me here? I clearly say that even with full information from the very beginning (whether that is 2 weeks after th fact or 3 weeks, or even as you say, we knew everything from the beginning) we would still be where we are because of actions/inactions from everyone
Yeah, I meant to quote both of you in the first one, but it doesn't always work.   

I'm waiting for your explanation of what China should have done differently.  You seem to have some information that this was primarily the Chinese government's fault.   Do you have facts to back that up?  I'm truly interested, because I haven't seen them.
Like I said, you're right, the global pandemic was all Trump fault 

You win genius 

Like I said, you're right, the global pandemic was all Trump fault 

You win genius 
That tends to happen when you make claims that have no evidence to support them.  I really thought you might know something and I was interested to hear it.   

They reported a cluster of viral pneumonia in mid-December and got the WHO involved.   They recognized it as coronavirus on January 10 and announced it on January 11.   Trump was briefed on it by US intelligence on January 13.    Moderna's vaccine was developed on January 13 based on the release of the genetic map of the virus by Chinese scientists.  Human to human transmission was confirmed on January 20.

Unless you believe that it was developed in a lab and accidentally released, what should have been done differently, other than shutting down outgoing flights? 
What was trump fully briefed on January 13th if human to human transmission was still being denied? 

Biden is going to up his goal to 200m vaccines in his first 100 days. Pretty good.
He's really not "doing" anything.  They're getting as much vaccine as they can and pushing it out as quickly as possible, just like the previous administration.  He's simply extrapolating out the data to estimate how many people will be vaccinated in that time frame.  It's funny how people are pretending as if he's done anything differently than the plan the previous administration had in place before Biden even took office.

He's really not "doing" anything.  They're getting as much vaccine as they can and pushing it out as quickly as possible, just like the previous administration.  He's simply extrapolating out the data to estimate how many people will be vaccinated in that time frame.  It's funny how people are pretending as if he's done anything differently than the plan the previous administration had in place before Biden even took office.
Yeah hes just one man but I give him credit for the work his administration is doing delivering more and more of the vaccine just like I give Trump credit for the work his administration doing on Operation Warp Speed which helped create multiple vaccines in record time.

I agree that "the plan" isn't all that different.  The glaring difference is in execution.  That should be obvious to anyone not of the "1.5 million a month is the same trajectory as 1.5 million a day" crowd.  How soon we forget the bar set by the last administration was 20 million in arms by the end of December....until it was changed to 20 million distributed to be put in arms by the end of December.  I'm not sure THAT was even met.  I'm sure someone here knows.  

I agree that "the plan" isn't all that different.  The glaring difference is in execution.  That should be obvious to anyone not of the "1.5 million a month is the same trajectory as 1.5 million a day" crowd.  How soon we forget the bar set by the last administration was 20 million in arms by the end of December....until it was changed to 20 million distributed to be put in arms by the end of December.  I'm not sure THAT was even met.  I'm sure someone here knows.  
When Trump said he would have a vaccine in a year, or possibly by the end of the year, he was laughed at.  Vaccines take YEARS. He did it in months.  So he didn't meet EVERY goal.  That's such a weird criticism when you take in to account what he did do in a time frame no one thought was even possible.  And I know you won't agree but there is no doubt in my mind he got a vaccine done in at least half the time it would have taken for Biden or Hillary. 

What's even better is if there is a hiccup of any kind, the administration will go but but but TRUMP!!

Governor Whitmer is a champion of this.

When Trump said he would have a vaccine in a year, or possibly by the end of the year, he was laughed at.  Vaccines take YEARS. He did it in months.  So he didn't meet EVERY goal.  That's such a weird criticism when you take in to account what he did do in a time frame no one thought was even possible.  And I know you won't agree but there is no doubt in my mind he got a vaccine done in at least half the time it would have taken for Biden or Hillary. 
Tell this to someone who didn't give him credit....I did :shrug:   I also laughed at him initially and thought "this won't end well and will probably kill more people than it helps".  I'm glad I was wrong about that.  If the entire game was only played in the first half he'd have smoked it.  I don't question that at all.

I have no idea if they'd done any better.  There's no way of knowing so it's not something I've given any thought to.  I look at what was done and it just validates my suspicions that we have a ton of unnecessary red tape in our process.  That should now be obvious to everyone.  

Does any President really deserve much credit for creating a vaccine? I give far more credit to the medical professionals who actually contributed to creating and producing these vaccines in record time.
Don was in the lab creating the vaccines, and Joe is out physically distributing them.  ;)  

Does any President really deserve much credit for creating a vaccine? I give far more credit to the medical professionals who actually contributed to creating and producing these vaccines in record time.
As a general rule, I'd say no.  But I posted an article a couple of days ago about how the EU is struggling with acquiring vaccines.  The contrast between their approach and Trump's is astounding.  The medical professionals deserve massive amounts of credit for creating the vaccine.  Trump's operation Warp Speed deserves credit for the speed at which that vaccine was created and for locking in the contracts that allowed the U.S. to be at the front of the line for it once it was created.

I would go so far as to say that in a way, the vaccine is what a lot of Trump voters thought they were getting when they voted for an "outsider" : someone who was not invested in the status quo and was therefore willing to upset the apple cart (e.g., buying the doses ahead of time) and thereby accomplish things that the conventional wisdom said couldn't be done.  Unfortunately for his voters and the country as a whole, there aren't many other examples of Trump breaking the established paradigm to the benefit of the country.

As a general rule, I'd say no.  But I posted an article a couple of days ago about how the EU is struggling with acquiring vaccines.  The contrast between their approach and Trump's is astounding.  The medical professionals deserve massive amounts of credit for creating the vaccine.  Trump's operation Warp Speed deserves credit for the speed at which that vaccine was created and for locking in the contracts that allowed the U.S. to be at the front of the line for it once it was created.
I hate Trump but he got this right.  Or at least stayed out of the way and let his people get it right.  Europe has screwed the pooch here bigtime and we didn't.  Trump Admin definitely deserves some credit for it.

Starting to see a lot of cheaters getting these vaccines. Pretty much allowing people to answer questions if they are eligible in my State. 

They won’t and can’t check. 

Part of me is happy these are getting used however it is also pushing back when I can get it because they are still filling up the slots for people in the group ahead of me.

Super annoying then when people are complaining it’s going too slow.

John123 said:
What do think Trump did that the others wouldn’t?

FTR, I think the vaccinologists and companies/individuals who strategized production of vaccines deserve the lion’s share of credit for where we are today. Government funding and EUAs certainly helped, but I believe any POTUS would have signed off on something akin to OWS.

What do think Trump did that the others wouldn’t?

FTR, I think the vaccinologists and companies/individuals who strategized production of vaccines deserve the lion’s share of credit for where we are today. Government funding and EUAs certainly helped, but I believe any POTUS would have signed off on something akin to OWS.
Cut the red tape. Dems dont deregulate. Mate.  

Have to go now, gonna fornicate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
All Trumps fault. China definitely didn't hide things for months

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/26/health/covid-war-doctors-sanjay-gupta/index.html
Literally nobody has claimed anything was all Trump's fault.

His handling of things here is what is his fault...regardless of what China did...he hid things here that he knew.  He downplayed things here that he knew was BS.  He had been briefed and still did so.

No amount of what China did or didn't do will change that.

Robert Redfield - "I believe the virus escaped from the Chinese lab."   I do, as well.  It would be a heck of a coincidence for this to happen to originate essntially at a lab that was working on this virus.  Too much of one.

That to say - yes, it was China's fault.
Too conspiracy'ish for me

Starting to see a lot of cheaters getting these vaccines. Pretty much allowing people to answer questions if they are eligible in my State. 

They won’t and can’t check. 

Part of me is happy these are getting used however it is also pushing back when I can get it because they are still filling up the slots for people in the group ahead of me.

Super annoying then when people are complaining it’s going too slow.
I got an email from the Washington Department of Health saying I was eligible, but when I went to get an appointment, the provider wanted me to confirm that I was eligible.  I wasn't.  I went back to the DOH tool and it said I wasn't eligible.   I'm sure some people are answering falsely to jump the line, but in some cases it may just be a mistake.

Robert Redfield - "I believe the virus escaped from the Chinese lab."   I do, as well.  It would be a heck of a coincidence for this to happen to originate essntially at a lab that was working on this virus.  Too much of one.

That to say - yes, it was China's fault.
I think this is reasonably likely as well.  I wouldn't go so far as to say "it's China's fault" -- there's nothing wrong with doing research on bat coronaviruses, including gain-of-function research.  And lab leaks can and do happen on occasion even if nobody is doing anything wildly wrong.  I don't hold that against China, any more than I would hold it against Colorado State if something similar happened in Fort Collins.

It would be nice if China were a little more forthcoming, or even just a little forthcoming at all.

I think this is reasonably likely as well.  I wouldn't go so far as to say "it's China's fault" -- there's nothing wrong with doing research on bat coronaviruses, including gain-of-function research.  And lab leaks can and do happen on occasion even if nobody is doing anything wildly wrong.  I don't hold that against China, any more than I would hold it against Colorado State if something similar happened in Fort Collins.

It would be nice if China were a little more forthcoming, or even just a little forthcoming at all.
Here's a seemingly unbiased article on the lack of evidence relating to the origin of the virus and the role of the Chinese government.

If it asks you to subscribe, you can read it in incognito mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an email from the Washington Department of Health saying I was eligible, but when I went to get an appointment, the provider wanted me to confirm that I was eligible.  I wasn't.  I went back to the DOH tool and it said I wasn't eligible.   I'm sure some people are answering falsely to jump the line, but in some cases it may just be a mistake.
People are just straight up saying they are a teacher or work in restaurant. 

That's just messed up.   
I know someone who teaches at an Orlando university. When FL opened up to teachers K-12, he went to a FEMA site just to make an appointment, but was given his first injection on the spot. I guess the National Guard only cared that he was a teacher of some sort. 

That's just messed up.   
I totally believe it. Yesterday I was talking to a guy I know and he said he had just gotten the vaccine and I was like “I’m not eligible yet” and he was like “everybody is eligible, my girlfriend signed me up for an appointment” and I was like “your girlfriend said you were eligible” and he was like “wut.”

People are just straight up saying they are a teacher or work in restaurant. 
Could have easily done there here in TN.  Just say you had an underlying condition when they opened up to that stuff.  I had to provide no real proof I have asthma or high blood pressure.  Anyone could have made an appointment and claimed they had something.

yeah, it's not too hard to just get in.  when I signed up online at Walgreens, there is a question to answer why you qualify, but its not like I needed to bring in a stub or anything for my appt.  they just looked at my DL.  

Could have easily done there here in TN.  Just say you had an underlying condition when they opened up to that stuff.  I had to provide no real proof I have asthma or high blood pressure.  Anyone could have made an appointment and claimed they had something.
I mean it’s good to have people getting vaxed as fast as possible but people are bragging about it. I mean shut the #### up if you do this.

I jumped the line just because there was excess at my sister in laws work. I make sure to lead with that fact when I tell people I am fully vaccinated

I know someone who teaches at an Orlando university. When FL opened up to teachers K-12, he went to a FEMA site just to make an appointment, but was given his first injection on the spot. I guess the National Guard only cared that he was a teacher of some sort. 
Federal site is any teacher

I jumped the line just because there was excess at my sister in laws work. I make sure to lead with that fact when I tell people I am fully vaccinated
Ultimately, I’m happy people are getting it. The faster it happens the better. It’s impossible to do it perfectly and fairly (your situation is a perfect example of how it should happen everywhere for people who aren’t yet eligible - nothing go to waste).

I’m just aggravated that it seems like it is pushing out when I can get it because people keep filling in spots that they shouldn’t - thereby pushing back when I can get it by following these rules. 

I mean I want to plan my ####### vacations too.

So if you get it by perhaps jumping the line with some let’s say questionable answers just have the decency to keep it to yourself :lol:

There have been documented cases previously of lab animals being sold to wet markets for extra cash.  

Ultimately, I’m happy people are getting it. The faster it happens the better. It’s impossible to do it perfectly and fairly (your situation is a perfect example of how it should happen everywhere for people who aren’t yet eligible - nothing go to waste).

I’m just aggravated that it seems like it is pushing out when I can get it because people keep filling in spots that they shouldn’t - thereby pushing back when I can get it by following these rules. 

I mean I want to plan my ####### vacations too.

So if you get it by perhaps jumping the line with some let’s say questionable answers just have the decency to keep it to yourself :lol:
If you gain some weight and start smoking, you're eligible in Washington next Wednesday.

There have been documented cases previously of lab animals being sold to wet markets for extra cash.  
I tried to verify this, but all I found was a Washington Examiner story citing a New York Post opinion piece that claimed a scientist made "millions" selling lab monkeys and rats to wet markets.   Couldn't find any verified facts, but this story got repeated a lot over the course of a year.    Sounds apocryphal. 

I tried to verify this, but all I found was a Washington Examiner story citing a New York Post opinion piece that claimed a scientist made "millions" selling lab monkeys and rats to wet markets.   Couldn't find any verified facts, but this story got repeated a lot over the course of a year.    Sounds apocryphal. 
I will be honest - I had to look it up.  :lol:

Why it makes sense to think that WIV researchers may have brought covid-19 to Wuhan. It's Newsweek, which I'm kind of surprised still exists, but the author seems superficially credible.

Can the frozen-food theory be a credible explanation of the conduit conundrum? No. But it's good the WHO brought it up, because it takes the investigation in an important direction: the need to find conduits that could have delivered the virus to Wuhan. These conduits would need to meet the WHO's criteria: they'd have to be animals that make good hosts for the virus, they'd need to have had opportunities to interact with the bats known to carry these particular coronaviruses, and they'd need to have traveled directly to Wuhan from the rural areas of the region without ping-ponging all over South China.

That sounds like a tall order. What are the chances of finding documented proof of such vectors? Remarkably, however, we actually have a wealth of evidence that fits this description perfectly: human beings—the best SARS-CoV-2 hosts of all—who had extremely close contact with horseshoe bats in South China. We know they made repeated visits over many years to the exact caves where SARS-related viruses were found. There, they handled bats directly, spent extensive time inside the caves breathing the air, and brought thousands of samples of guano, blood, and other bits of bat (possibly even live bats) back to Wuhan with them.

Those were researchers from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, who had been scouring South China caves for coronaviruses with the ability to infect humans. They did this as part of a massive virus-hunting project—a collaboration between Peter Daszak's EcoHealth Alliance, the USAID's Predict program, a new organization called the Global Virome Project, and other groups—to track down the world's viruses in their lairs, bring them back to the lab, and study them. They would pay special attention to the ones with the ability to infect humans, learning how they enter cells, how they mutate, how they jump from host to host, and how they escape the immune system and persist in individuals.
I kind of don't know why this goes in the PSF version of this thread since the origin of covid-19 is completely an empirical issue that doesn't depend at all on politics or ideological priors, but we live in a deeply dumb era so it goes here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread