What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That last leader that did that your side threw a 4 year temper tantrum and tried to impeach him/remove him from office.  Liberal posters in here LITERALLY started a thread that questioned if they were in a dictatorship.  :shrug:
The irony is lost on all of them.  Check that - it’s intentionally misplaced.

Cool.  No idea what that has to do with my post, other than we have different ideas of what it means to be tough.
No offense but, IMO, most modern lefties have no idea what it's like to be "tough".   For heaven's sake, you guys invented safe spaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gov of WV certainly gets it. On CNBC talking about his vaccine bonds. Calling vaccines a patriotic duty and says the quickest way to get rid of masks is to get the shot :thumbup:  

Gov of WV certainly gets it. On CNBC talking about his vaccine bonds. Calling vaccines a patriotic duty and says the quickest way to get rid of masks is to get the shot :thumbup:  
And yet the stats show that WV is now lagging the vast majority of states in vaccination - despite being a leader right out of the gate - because a lot of people just don’t want to get a shot in WV. 

Kudos to the WV Governor for trying to change that dynamic.

There is a certain irony that many of the same people who were fighting for a herd immunity approach last year, are the same people who are making a herd immunity approach impossible this year.
There are 330+ million people in this country.  It's gonna be hard to get all of them to agree on anything, especially when the people offering the official "guidance" have shown that they're motivated as much by politics as the best interests of those they're offering "guidance" to.

There are 330+ million people in this country.  It's gonna be hard to get all of them to agree on anything, especially when the people offering the official "guidance" have shown that they're motivated as much by politics as the best interests of those they're offering "guidance" to.
Its not about agreeing on everything - last year many people wanted to pursue a herd immunity approach to the virus.  Now, many of those same people are actively opposing herd immunity by refusing to get vaccinated.

Its not about agreeing on everything - last year many people wanted to pursue a herd immunity approach to the virus.  Now, many of those same people are actively opposing herd immunity by refusing to get vaccinated.
Who are "those same people?"  How many is many?  I mean, in absolute terms most people would consider 50 to be many of almost anything.  If 50 people out of 330 million are "actively opposing herd immunity" I wouldn't consider that concerning.  It's easy to make broad generalizations. 

Peter Baker @peterbakernyt

Top five states in vaccines are all in New England (NH, Mass, Vt, Conn, Maine) while the five at the bottom are in the West and South (Idaho, Wyo, Ala, La and Miss), per this ⁦ @WSJ ⁩ chart.

And the 22 top states (including DC) are all blue states while the bottom 17 are all red states (if you include Georgia which has historically been red, though it flipped last year), reinforcing how covid has come to be just one more part of our national divide.

There is a certain irony that many of the same people who were fighting for a herd immunity approach last year, are the same people who are making a herd immunity approach impossible this year.
No truer words have been spoken in this thread.  It is also the same group of people who say "Why do you need the government to tell you what to do?" in one breath and then say "See, the government said we didn't need to wear masks (in Feb/March of 2020)" as the reason they aren't wearing masks today and/or use the "changing" message as reason not to listen to them at all.  It's absolutely comical the pretzels some people have twisted themselves into.

Peter Baker @peterbakernyt

Top five states in vaccines are all in New England (NH, Mass, Vt, Conn, Maine) while the five at the bottom are in the West and South (Idaho, Wyo, Ala, La and Miss), per this ⁦ @WSJ ⁩ chart.

And the 22 top states (including DC) are all blue states while the bottom 17 are all red states (if you include Georgia which has historically been red, though it flipped last year), reinforcing how covid has come to be just one more part of our national divide.
Should look at a county by county basis too.  I bet the R2 is like 0.75 between vaccination rates by county and % voting for a particular political party for POTUS.  Of course that correlation also holds for rural vs. urban too.  I wonder which one has the better correlation to vaccination rates?

To add to the irony, the same group that desperately wants to find a miracle cure (hydroxychloroquine, etc) to avoid having to take COVID seriously are the same people who won’t get the vaccine that allows them to reduce many of the precautions. It’s the easy way out.

To add to the irony, the same group that desperately wants to find a miracle cure (hydroxychloroquine, etc) to avoid having to take COVID seriously are the same people who won’t get the vaccine that allows them to reduce many of the precautions. It’s the easy way out.
It's like the anti climate change argument. Constantly shifting the reason...

Drinking or injecting bleach still on the table, obvs

we have about 200,000,000 people in the USA under 50 years old

around 25,000 under 50 years old have died of covid

94 percent of COVID-19 deaths in the United States also had contributing conditions.

According to the report, just six percent of coronavirus deaths have “COVID-19” as the only cause mentioned, revealing that 94 percent of patients who died from coronavirus also had other “health conditions and contributing causes.”

my trivia question for today is .... what are the chances a healthy person under the age of 50 gets covid and dies ? give me a percentage.

0.001 ? lower ?

Doug Mills@dougmillsnyt

.@POTUS answers questions from the media after making a statement about vaccines. "We're going to keep at it. At the end of the day, most people will be convinced by the fact that their failure to get a vaccine may cause other people to be sick and die."

They have?  How so?

we have about 200,000,000 people in the USA under 50 years old

around 25,000 under 50 years old have died of covid

94 percent of COVID-19 deaths in the United States also had contributing conditions.

According to the report, just six percent of coronavirus deaths have “COVID-19” as the only cause mentioned, revealing that 94 percent of patients who died from coronavirus also had other “health conditions and contributing causes.”

my trivia question for today is .... what are the chances a healthy person under the age of 50 gets covid and dies ? give me a percentage.

0.001 ? lower ?
Is this one of those SAT questions where we are supposed to choose "D - not enough information to determine the answer"?

Doug Mills@dougmillsnyt

.@POTUS answers questions from the media after making a statement about vaccines. "We're going to keep at it. At the end of the day, most people will be convinced by the fact that their failure to get a vaccine may cause other people to be sick and die."
They don't care

I wish we would try the approach of saying “if you don’t get a vaccine by the end of May, we’re going to ship your personal vaccine doses off to Mexico or India.”   Maybe that would piss people off enough that they would go get a vaccine.
If Biden, or better yet Harris with AOC standing at her side, held a press conference announcing that we're exporting all of our remaining vaccine doses to developing nations, we would get to 99% vaccine acceptance in 48 hours.

Is this one of those SAT questions where we are supposed to choose "D - not enough information to determine the answer"?
26000 is what % of 200000000 = 0.013%

https://www.percentagecal.com/

People are being killed twice as much with drug overdoses as they are of covid19 under 50 years old

Startling isn't it ? Such pressure and reactions to a virus that kills 1/2 what drugs do. Its amazing to me every day how people can be so misled in what they believe in.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/overdoses-are-leading-cause-of-death-americans-under-50/#:~:text=CLEVELAND%2C Ohio -- Overdoses are,more than the year before.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Overdoses are now the leading cause of death of Americans under the age of 50.

According to preliminary data compiled by The New York Times, deaths last year likely topped 59,000 -- 19 percent more than the year before.

If Biden, or better yet Harris with AOC standing at her side, held a press conference announcing that we're exporting all of our remaining vaccine doses to developing nations, we would get to 99% vaccine acceptance in 48 hours.
I'd really like to believe this.  I think the much more probable outcome is pissing and moaning about Biden/Harris/AOC loving other countries more than their own by the people who are refusing to get the vaccine in the first place.  I'd bet my life savings on it.

I'd really like to believe this.  I think the much more probable outcome is pissing and moaning about Biden/Harris/AOC loving other countries more than their own by the people who are refusing to get the vaccine in the first place.  I'd bet my life savings on it.
Or complaining how fiscally irresponsible the Biden administration is/was in purchasing too many vaccines

People are being killed twice as much with drug overdoses as they are of covid19 under 50 years old

Startling isn't it ? Such pressure and reactions to a virus that kills 1/2 what drugs do. Its amazing to me every day how people can be so misled in what they believe in.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/overdoses-are-leading-cause-of-death-americans-under-50/#:~:text=CLEVELAND%2C Ohio -- Overdoses are,more than the year before.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Overdoses are now the leading cause of death of Americans under the age of 50.

According to preliminary data compiled by The New York Times, deaths last year likely topped 59,000 -- 19 percent more than the year before.
I mean is called the opioid epidemic 

I mean is called the opioid epidemic 
And with covid it ignores the 15% fatality rate in people over 70, it ignores the 10% hospitalization rate for pretty much anyone over 40, it ignores the 10% or so that end up with long term health issues...

Your question was - "my trivia question for today is .... what are the chances a healthy person under the age of 50 gets covid and dies ? give me a percentage."

however, the 200M is not all healthy people under 50, that number is all people under 50.

I think I read that  around 2/3 of Americans have at least one comorbidity - high blood pressure, asthma, cancer, over weight, smoker, etc.  We aren't a healthy people.  

@Alex P Keatonwas correct - we don't know the number of healthy people under the age of 50, nor do we know the number of people under 50 who died of COVID who were healthy.

SC is an excellent example of why we can't get to necessary vaccination rates.   He has fully bought into the idea that the virus only kills people that would die anyway.  Under this misguided mindset, there is no reason for "healthy" people to be vaccinated.  There is a significant group of people that doesn't understand how transmission of the virus works, the danger of mutation, or the fact that even a small percentage of a large number of people unnecessarily dying is still a large number of people.   They just repeat the mantra of "99 percent survival rate" and try to claim it's a government conspiracy.   

The only way to reach that group is through incentives.  You want a third stimulus check?   Get vaccinated.   No vaccine?  No soup for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread