Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Government Response To The Coronavirus

James Daulton

54 minutes ago, Battersbox said:

According to the article, she was absolutely wrong. And I've not seen a single reputable source siding with her. If you have some, I'd love to see them.

I didn't read the article given the source.  I fail to see the point.  All I can tell you is that we've had incident after incident here reported by providers (doctors, hospitals, vaccine sites etc) saying the numbers they were giving the state weren't recorded correctly on the state dashboard.  It was a regular segment on CBS News Channel 6 here in Central Florida for months.  Here's just one article from when it was starting to get recognized/reported:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/florida/2020/05/21/trust-index-news-6-discovers-discrepancy-in-covid-19-deaths-reported-in-florida/

5 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I didn't read the article given the source.  I fail to see the point.  All I can tell you is that we've had incident after incident here reported by providers (doctors, hospitals, vaccine sites etc) saying the numbers they were giving the state weren't recorded correctly on the state dashboard.  It was a regular segment on CBS News Channel 6 here in Central Florida for months.  Here's just one article from when it was starting to get recognized/reported:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/florida/2020/05/21/trust-index-news-6-discovers-discrepancy-in-covid-19-deaths-reported-in-florida/

The article you posted doesn't suggest anything funny going on.  It specifically states the reason for a discrepancy in numbers.  It also specifically states there is nothing nefarious going on.  This really doesn't support your argument very well.

The CDC says that those of us with vaccinations can stop wearing masks both inside and outside. This is what I needed to hear. Forgive me for not trusting people on the internet; I don’t. But when the CDC says it now I feel it’s safe. 

• Laughing 3

Just now, timschochet said:

The CDC says that those of us with vaccinations can stop wearing masks both inside and outside. This is what I needed to hear. Forgive me for not trusting people on the internet; I don’t. But when the CDC says it now I feel it’s safe. 

You should have done your own research on this, read the relevant published peer-reviewed articles on the topic, created your own epidemic modeling for your exact situation, and then come to this conclusion at least 2.5 weeks ago.

Sheeple

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Apology accepted.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

10 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I support this for you.

:yes:

• Laughing 1

35 minutes ago, timschochet said:

We know.  You do everything the government tells you to do

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

You should read the article, it's informative.

I read yours, and it doesn't appear to say a whole lot supporting some big conspiracy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, timschochet said:

The CDC says that those of us with vaccinations can stop wearing masks both inside and outside.

Now I'm curious about how long it will take for big-box retailers, local groceries, government buildings, etc. to follow suit. I guess since vaccinated people can't be distinguished at a glance, it will be some time yet, and not soon.

EDIT: Link to a news article about the revised CDC guidance to come (NBC News, 5/13/2021)

Edited by Doug B
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Now I'm curious about how long it will take for big-box retailers, local groceries, government buildings, etc. to follow suit. I guess since vaccinated people can't be distinguished at a glance, it will be some time yet, and not soon.

EDIT: Link to a news article about the revised CDC guidance to come (NBC News, 5/13/2021)

My personal prediction is that businesses will drop mask requirements pretty quickly.  I'm basing that prediction on the hypothesis that firms don't like having to invest time and energy to enforce such policies, and the CDC's new guidelines give them good cover to ditch them.  

That's just a prediction.  If a firm wants to continue to require or encourage masks, I support their right to do so and I'll comply with their wishes if I'm shopping there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Doug B said:

How will they know who has been vaccinated and who hasn't?  I propose a small tattoo on the forehead of everyone after receiving their second shot.  Maybe you can choose between a little American flag or UN tat.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Battersbox said:

You should read the article, it's informative.

I read yours, and it doesn't appear to say a whole lot supporting some big conspiracy.

I didnt say there was a big conspiracy. I said there were many discrepencies reported for months by providers when they saw information incorrect on the dashboard. And that was one article at the beginning of the whole thing. Most interesting part of the whole thing is that the misreporting was NEVER once a case where the number was an exageration. 

Edited by The Commish

21 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

My personal prediction is that businesses will drop mask requirements pretty quickly.  I'm basing that prediction on the hypothesis that firms don't like having to invest time and energy to enforce such policies, and the CDC's new guidelines give them good cover to ditch them.  

That's just a prediction.  If a firm wants to continue to require or encourage masks, I support their right to do so and I'll comply with their wishes if I'm shopping there.

At the most, signs will say "You're required to wear a mask unless you have been vaccinated or have a medical condition."  But there's a good chance they just ditch the requirement all together as you stated.

People who don't want the vaccine probably also don't want to wear masks and will jump at the chance to ditch them.  

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Which is weird since they keep changing course and the contradictory stance of "If you're exposed and vaccinated, you don't have to quarantine--but ALSO--wear a mask because who knows?!"

I think people have had a legit gripe with the notion of masks post-vaccination.  This kind of confirms it.  But "LOL, only the CDC can be right"

2 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I didnt say there was a big conspiracy. I said there were many discrepencies reported for months by providers when they saw information incorrect on the dashboard. And that was one article at the beginning of the whole thing. Most interesting part of the whole thing is that the misreporting was NEVER once a case where the number was an exageration. 

Well you said she was correct, and she's making hundreds of thousands of dollars off of people who think like you peddling a conspiracy theory, so my reasonable conclusion is that you believe there is a conspiracy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

How will they know who has been vaccinated and who hasn't?  I propose a small tattoo on the forehead of everyone after receiving their second shot.  Maybe you can choose between a little American flag or UN tat.

They’ll just scan for the chip in the vaccine. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, jm192 said:

Which is weird since they keep changing course and the contradictory stance of "If you're exposed and vaccinated, you don't have to quarantine--but ALSO--wear a mask because who knows?!"

I think people have had a legit gripe with the notion of masks post-vaccination.  This kind of confirms it.  But "LOL, only the CDC can be right"

Honestly I think the mask wearing was more about being unable to distinguish between vaccinated and un-vaccinated individuals and knowing that un-vaccinated people would lie and not wear masks. So until the vaccination rate increased and infection/hospitalization rates decreased, it made it easier to just tell everyone that they still needed to wears masks.

1 minute ago, GroveDiesel said:

Honestly I think the mask wearing was more about being unable to distinguish between vaccinated and un-vaccinated individuals and knowing that un-vaccinated people would lie and not wear masks. So until the vaccination rate increased and infection/hospitalization rates decreased, it made it easier to just tell everyone that they still needed to wears masks.

Oh, man!  I agree 1000%.  I've typed that on here and had that discussion in person with people.  You're absolutely right in that.  

That being said, just tell me that.  Don't give me some BS reason.  When you BS, you create doubt, which is what they've done.  If you just told the citizens "there's no way to enforce it or know, so we have to continue for now," reasonable people would understand.  Some people are going to be mad no matter what.

But the CDC has done a great job in undermining confidence in their own organization throughout this.

I don’t know if this is the case, but I could see the CDC making a judgment call on whether this will incentivize people to get vaccinated to achieve herd immunity vs. the risks.  Likely would be driven by statistical models.  It’s a bit of a gamble either way I’m sure...

21 minutes ago, jm192 said:

Oh, man!  I agree 1000%.  I've typed that on here and had that discussion in person with people.  You're absolutely right in that.  

That being said, just tell me that.  Don't give me some BS reason.  When you BS, you create doubt, which is what they've done.  If you just told the citizens "there's no way to enforce it or know, so we have to continue for now," reasonable people would understand.  Some people are going to be mad no matter what.

But the CDC has done a great job in undermining confidence in their own organization throughout this.

Totally agree with you and IK. Started from the beginning when they told everyone they didn’t need to wear masks and then later admitted that was driven in large part by trying to preserve masks for healthcare workers. That move did an incredible amount of damage and likely cost an untold number of lives. They have been incredibly slow in following the science and often were acting more as a political body or psychologists manipulating the public than scientists. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Are you going to require your  “day workers “ to wear masks in the back of your pickup truck?

• Laughing 4
  • Thinking 1

25 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

The fact that everybody is speculating about why the CDC changed their guidance as if we were reading Pravda is a good indicator of how much this organization has set its credibility on fire during the pandemic.

The CDC has been exposed as a very typical bureaucracy, which means that its #1 focus isn't public health......but rather the #1 focus is serving the needs/interests of the bureaucracy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IvanKaramazov said:

The fact that everybody is speculating about why the CDC changed their guidance as if we were reading Pravda is a good indicator of how much this organization has set its credibility on fire during the pandemic.

Or we are super polarized and don’t trust anything that anyone says unless “our guy” says it. Or a combination of both. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Battersbox said:

Well you said she was correct, and she's making hundreds of thousands of dollars off of people who think like you peddling a conspiracy theory, so my reasonable conclusion is that you believe there is a conspiracy.

Again..don't think there is a conspiracy theory.  Her fear has been documented actually and shown as a legit concern as providers continually questioned why the numbers they were giving the state weren't making it to the site.  That's how this whole thing started and was the primary reason she was fired.  She alleged that she was fired because she wouldn't cook the numbers.  After that I didn't follow all the mud slinging that went on.  I knew it was verified that she was pretty crazy, but that doesn't mean her concern wasn't legit. 

I personally don't think that cooking numbers is worthy of the "conspiracy theory" label and the numbers are all I care about.  The rest of the drama, which was probably the focus of your article, is something I know little about. When I said she was right, I meant in terms of the numbers not matching.  The rest I couldn't give two ####s about and have no idea whether she's right about any of that or not.  Frankly, none of that matters, but it does make for good fodder for those wanting the clicks and those wanting to ignore that the number were constantly questioned for months.

Posted (edited)

Just curious, what changed from yesterday to make mask wearing no longer necessary for vaccinated people?  A new study?  The answer is no.  Nothing changed.  The CDC finally came to the same conclusion many of us did, based on readily available data and studies that have been cited in here for the last week.  Kudos to those of you l who saw what was blatantly obvious.  Critical thinking is a cool thing.

Edited by ekbeats
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I honestly think the tipping point was Susan  Collins grilling the CDC Director on Tuesday.  Collins is a fair and reasonable person and she did an effective job calling out the CDC’s credibility.

• Like 1

It's a Shark move by the government.  By telling people that they don't need to wear masks.....people will grow suspicious and put them on.  Bidens Administration....playing 6D Chess against people who can't win at Tic-Tac-Toe!!!!!!

2 hours ago, whoknew said:

Or we are super polarized and don’t trust anything that anyone says unless “our guy” says it. Or a combination of both. 

Or whatever thin veil of presumed governmental or media benevolence that previously existed has been shredded over the past 10 years and no sane person accepts anything they are told without interrogation...regardless of sides.

1 hour ago, ekbeats said:

Just curious, what changed from yesterday to make mask wearing no longer necessary for vaccinated people?  A new study?  The answer is no.  Nothing changed.  The CDC finally came to the same conclusion many of us did, based on readily available data and studies that have been cited in here for the last week.  Kudos to those of you l who saw what was blatantly obvious.  Critical thinking is a cool thing.

They won the news cycle.

46 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Yep.

:lmao:  Awesome. Hopefully they publish info on why and squash all the misinformation people believe as posted in here. 

Vaccinated people are protected from the virus. Vaccinated people don’t carry the virus. Vaccinated people don’t transmit the virus. Vaccinated people don’t have to be afraid of the variant boogeyman. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jm192 said:

I dont think the CDC should be making these kinds of determinations. They should present the relevant data and info. It is up to states, cities, businesses, etc to make decisions about what to do with that kind of info. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ekbeats said:

The science, of course. Shifty that pandemic science. Wait til tomorrow. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I dont think the CDC should be making these kinds of determinations. They should present the relevant data and info. It is up to states, cities, businesses, etc to make decisions about what to do with that kind of info. 

This is one of the biggest issues that needs to be addressed going forward.  Scientists should be inputs into public policy, they should not be setting it.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, djmich said:

This is one of the biggest issues that needs to be addressed going forward.  Scientists should be inputs into public policy, they should not be setting it.

Agree 100%.  

6 hours ago, timschochet said:

While this is great news, since there is no way to prove it, I think that basically just puts an end to masks for most people.  I think the group purposely not vaccinating and who were against masks to begin with is fairly close to being an overlapping circle.  

• Like 2

Meanwhile the ACC OUTDOOR Track and Field Championships are taking place TODAY in Raleigh.  NO SPECTATORS ALLOWED.  It just goes to show what I’ve always said - supposed smart people can be some of the dumbest people on the planet.

• Like 1

Fauci on NBC news.  

Fully on board with CDC decision. 

Says he would NOT be afraid to be around an unvaccinated person without a mask, even if they are infected.   

This is a 180 degree reversal from just 7 days ago, the last time he talked to Lester Holt he said the EXACT OPPOSITE. 

What a freaking clown.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Fauci on NBC news.  

Fully on board with CDC decision. 

Says he would NOT be afraid to be around an unvaccinated person without a mask, even if they are infected.   

This is a 180 degree reversal from just 7 days ago, the last time he talked to Lester Holt he said the EXACT OPPOSITE. 

What a freaking clown.  

I’ll do one better.  Fauci was on MTP only 4 days ago.  When asked about how we will handle indoor settings “for the next year” while we still have the virus, he said, “It also brings out the possibility that you’re going to have to make sure that indoors, when you have unvaccinated people, that people wear a mask, but that is already a CDC recommendation anyway.”

The guy’s all over the place.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

I’ll do one better.  Fauci was on MTP only 4 days ago.  When asked about how we will handle indoor settings “for the next year” while we still have the virus, he said, “It also brings out the possibility that you’re going to have to make sure that indoors, when you have unvaccinated people, that people wear a mask, but that is already a CDC recommendation anyway.”

The guy’s all over the place.

The possibly...with unvaccinated people.   And he was stating the CDC recommendation at the time as the public face.  None of that is all over the place

Edited by sho nuff

7 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I hope a lot of people wake up to this BS and remember it next time.  

Props to all the outlets that provided the data, not disinformation from clowns like Fuaci, that let us figure it out for ourselves.  Weeks ahead of this moron getting his talking points.  

He handled this crisis terribly from start to finish.  The guy prepared for this pandemic his whole life, and when it came he completely screwed the pooch by telling people not to wear masks.  How many people did that kill?  It was obvious to anyone with a brain that this was highly contagious just based on China’s reaction and all the people dying in Italy.  He blew it.  Bigtime.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

The possibly...with unvaccinated people.   And he was stating the CDC recommendation at the time as the public face.  Nome that is all over the place

No, he was saying that ALL people would have to wear a mask to protect unvaccinated people.  

1 minute ago, ekbeats said:

No, he was saying that ALL people would have to wear a mask to protect unvaccinated people.  

Thats not quite what you quoted said though.

But yeah.  Keep arm chair infectious disease experting...you two obviously know better.

• Laughing 1

Just now, sho nuff said:

But yeah.  Keep arm chair infectious disease experting...you two obviously know better.

Read the last 3 pages where we outlined all the reasons why vaccinated people didnt have to wear masks. Not coincidence we figured it out a bit quicker than the CDC.

Fauci is an actor playing a role. He flopped a 180 mask recommendation live on TV in a matter of days. If you cant see that now you're brainwashed and blind. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:
3 hours ago, tonydead said:

Been real busy today.  What happened, CDC come out and agree with me that vaccinated people don't have to wear masks?

Yep.

What do they say about a broken clock?*

*I kid I kid.  Just a friendly joke. Please mods don’t suspend me. 😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

You arm chaired a President for 4 years.  You know better?  Doubtful.  So no need to start these silly exchanges that avoid discussion and try to score a gotcha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

:lmao:

And he did it for all the same reasons posters in here spouted off about. I guess we can give them a pass, they just got duped. 

ASYMPTOMATIC CARRIERS

VARRIENTS

BREAKTHROUGH CASES

• Like 1