Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Government Response To The Coronavirus

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Doug B said:

WalMart, Costco, and Publix are doing the same thing.

Same link:  

Several major chains, including CVS, Home Depot, Macy's and supermarket giant Kroger Co., said they are still requiring masks in stores for the time being, though some said they are reviewing their policies.

EDIT: Read on another board that Meijer groceries in the Midwest are also sticking with masking in their stores for the time being.

Edited by Doug B
  • Replies 29.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Australia has had months of little to no community spread and even then it was confined to one state. By and large Australians are running around doing the right thing, sport was and is still hap

This is going to be a one off post because I don't want to get trolled or banned but if I were American, the context of Canada would be the biggest damning fact of how things have been handled in the

I am confident we are going to hit >750K deaths.  I think it might be a million.  I don't post a ton but I'm an ER doc in a big city. This is by far the worse I've seen since the pandemic star

43 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

You sure roasted me.  Probably took you 7 hours to come up with that classic one.  Great work

You're right.  Yours is better and more original.  🤣

These last few pages are depressing. Can we just sideline the political discourse for a bit and celebrate this huge win? A win for our country. A win for the scientists who developed these vaccines. A win for everyone who have worked so hard to get us to this point. A win for everyone. The fight is far from over but now is the time for the choreographed TD dance and everyone should be joining in. Be happy and proud of what we’ve done.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, Doug B said:

WalMart, Costco, and Publix are doing the same thing.

Same link:  

Several major chains, including CVS, Home Depot, Macy's and supermarket giant Kroger Co., said they are still requiring masks in stores for the time being, though some said they are reviewing their policies.

EDIT: Read on another board that Meijer groceries in the Midwest are also sticking with masking in their stores for the time being.

I would be curious as to the reasoning behind keeping/dropping the mask for the different stores.   

I was excited by this news, but with our stores we hire such a high % of workers that are 14-16 that I am guessing we are stuck with the masks for a bit longer as WI just started to let them get in for their shots.  

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

exceptionally well worded explanation of what you did mean, I'll give you that :(

so if you don't expand on what you DID mean ..... ummm I'll guess to take it as its worded ???? 

you can read all my comments to wreck ...it's explained clearly there multiple times...though, I'm confident you'll ignore it just like he did...seems like the shtick is spreading.  You'll definitely be more comfortable in that world than the one with the rest of us.

Edited by The Commish
17 hours ago, The Commish said:

me too...have never been the focus of ANY of my comments no matter how much you insist they are.

There are MANY out there not taking this vaccine simply because the government told them it was a good idea to take it and THOSE PEOPLE are the ones I AM talking about.  To be fair...this has been their position from the get go and really has nothing to do with Trump, Biden, you or me.  Morons from the get go and if that is their reason (as I've now stated four different times) I have no problem with allowing Darwin to do his work on those people.  You have a higher opinion of those people and that's fine...we all draw the line somewhere.  They will be the ones we are reporting on in the fall that keep dying unnecessarily and taking away resources at hospitals and doctors offices all over the country from people who need them that don't have a solution starring them in the face.

Gold medal for the mental gymnastics on this one.  

• Laughing 1
5 hours ago, Biff84 said:

These last few pages are depressing. Can we just sideline the political discourse for a bit and celebrate this huge win? A win for our country. A win for the scientists who developed these vaccines. A win for everyone who have worked so hard to get us to this point. A win for everyone. The fight is far from over but now is the time for the choreographed TD dance and everyone should be joining in. Be happy and proud of what we’ve done.

This is a political thread. I agree with you. But we have had two Presidential administrations deal with this crisis. And my serious conclusion is: 

1. The Trump administration gets a D. The only reason they don’t get an F is Operation Warp Speed, in which they basically left Big Pharma alone, and that helped bring about a quick vaccine. But otherwise they were either completely incompetent or deliberately malfeasant, which led to thousands of deaths that could have been absolutely avoided. 

2. The Biden Administration gets an A+. They took over a situation in complete chaos and transformed it into a smooth, extraordinary example of good government- arguably the best example since the Apollo program. We are now reaping the results. 

• Laughing 3
2 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Hold on!  We have a late entry. 

59 minutes ago, timschochet said:

This is a political thread. I agree with you. But we have had two Presidential administrations deal with this crisis. And my serious conclusion is: 

1. The Trump administration gets a D. The only reason they don’t get an F is Operation Warp Speed, in which they basically left Big Pharma alone, and that helped bring about a quick vaccine. But otherwise they were either completely incompetent or deliberately malfeasant, which led to thousands of deaths that could have been absolutely avoided. 

2. The Biden Administration gets an A+. They took over a situation in complete chaos and transformed it into a smooth, extraordinary example of good government- arguably the best example since the Apollo program. We are now reaping the results. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Biff84 said:

What, you saying you’re not enjoying the Tony is smarter then the CDC, Fauci, Dr’s and Rocket Scientists discussion?  To quote Maximus Aurelius “Are you not entertained!?”

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, identikit said:

OMG...

Ok

Hey man it wasn’t Tom Brady who made the difference for Tampa Bay. All the real work had been done the year before. No matter who the QB was last season, they still would have won the SB. 

Just now, timschochet said:

Hey man it wasn’t Tom Brady who made the difference for Tampa Bay. All the real work had been done the year before. No matter who the QB was last season, they still would have won the SB. 

Negative.

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

The Biden administration has done pretty well on vaccines, but as usual you're lapsing into hyperbole here.  I don't know why you do this, but it's part of a broad pattern.  Nobody/nothing is ever just "good" or "above average" or even "really good" -- they're always the best thing to come along since Eisenhower (Hillary), Sam Rayburn (Pelosi) or the Apollo program (lol).  It's a weird tic.

Specifically, Biden should get dinged a bit for not surging vaccines into Michigan, allowing the CDC to pause the J&J vaccine, not exporting some of our vaccine stockpile to India, and advocating for patent waivers.  You can throw in the oddity of wearing a mask when masking is pointless too -- that's a minor symbolic issue, but messaging always matters when it comes from the president.

It should go without saying that Biden has handled the pandemic much better than Trump, but Trump isn't the bar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

The Biden administration has done pretty well on vaccines, but as usual you're lapsing into hyperbole here.  I don't know why you do this, but it's part of a broad pattern.  Nobody/nothing is ever just "good" or "above average" or even "really good" -- they're always the best thing to come along since Eisenhower (Hillary), Sam Rayburn (Pelosi) or the Apollo program (lol).  It's a weird tic.

Specifically, Biden should get dinged a bit for not surging vaccines into Michigan, allowing the CDC to pause the J&J vaccine, not exporting some of our vaccine stockpile to India, and advocating for patent waivers.  You can throw in the oddity of wearing a mask when masking is pointless too -- that's a minor symbolic issue, but messaging always matters when it comes from the president.

It should go without saying that Biden has handled the pandemic much better than Trump, but Trump isn't the bar.

He just can't help himself.

Obvious attempt at grabbing the spotlight.

'Look at me!  I said something outrageous!'

A real detriment to  any discussion here.

18 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Whether I agree with the CDC or not, I don't want to ever see a president interfere with CDC decisions. 

• Like 1
Just now, identikit said:

He just can't help himself.

Obvious attempt at grabbing the spotlight.

'Look at me!  I said something outrageous!'

A real detriment to  any discussion here.

Not at all. Ivan thinks it’s hyperbole; that’s his prerogative. I do not. I think conservatives are reluctant to give Biden credit because they distrust big government. And that’s generally a good distrust to have. But IMO it doesn’t apply here. Ivan’s criticisms are pretty minor IMO compared to the overall performance which has been superb. 
As for grabbing the spotlight, I’m offering a point of view. You’re the one trying to make it about me, rather than the point of view. 

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Not at all. Ivan thinks it’s hyperbole; that’s his prerogative. I do not. I think conservatives are reluctant to give Biden credit because they distrust big government. And that’s generally a good distrust to have. But IMO it doesn’t apply here. Ivan’s criticisms are pretty minor IMO compared to the overall performance which has been superb. 
As for grabbing the spotlight, I’m offering a point of view. You’re the one trying to make it about me, rather than the point of view. 

They're your words.

The opposite of helpful.

Ivan's right.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

Whether I agree with the CDC or not, I don't want to ever see a president interfere with CDC decisions. 

I disagree.  I view the CDC in much the same way that I view the military.  I don't want the president drawing up battle plans for his generals, but I do want our civilian leadership making the ultimate decisions about when we deploy our military and (broadly) how it gets deployed.

Similarly, CDC and FDA scientists are better-positioned than any president to talk about the scientific merits of a particular drug -- that expertise is helpful.  But these agencies have no business unilaterally deciding how much weight we should assign to Type I errors (approving a bad drug) vs. Type II errors (failing to approve a good drug).  That's a decision that should be made by elected officials.  The decision to pause the J&J vaccine was a direct result of an agency that is recklessly and dangerously conservative in its decision-making, and it killed an unknown number of people.  That's the sort of thing that needs to corrected, and elected leaders are the only people who can do it.   

Edit: To some extent, we do this now.  When the CDC was telling everybody to wear masks, nobody seriously suggested that Texas was somehow legally bound by that recommendation -- Texas dropped its mask mandate a little on the early side IMO, but the state was obviously within its legal rights to do so.  Likewise, states can keep mask mandates in place today if they judge that the CDC's advice doesn't fit the needs of their communities.  I would greatly prefer to see the FDA and CDC both operate in more of an advisory role and less of a gatekeeper role.

Edited by IvanKaramazov
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, timschochet said:

You can give somebody credit without it being the best ever.  

You can also acknowledge that we've got a situation at the border.  But, hey, best job ever. All rainbows and unicorns in the good ole USA

Republicans won't ever give him credit.  Just like Dems never gave Trump credit for anything he did well (in before LOL THAT'S CUZ HE DIDN'T DO NOTHIN WELL, ORANGE MAN BAD AMARITE?!). We've entered the golden age of partisanship.  Republicans are going to highlight the negatives.  And Democrats are going to completely ignore them.  

You claim to be a centrist that wants the GOP to exist, but you post BIDEN DOES THE BEST JOB EVER OMG NOTHING IS WRONG IN 3 MONTHS HOW CAN THIS BE?!

And then you start thread after thread about how bad/evil Mitch McConnel is.

None of that makes you a bad guy.  I enjoy debating with you.  But I feel like you tell me you're non-partisan to give yourself more credibility--and then you post as a partisan.

Edited by jm192
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, timschochet said:

Jameis Winston says hi

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, dkp993 said:

What, you saying you’re not enjoying the Tony is smarter then the CDC, Fauci, Dr’s and Rocket Scientists discussion?  To quote Maximus Aurelius “Are you not entertained!?”

Wouldn’t know, blocked him a long time ago.

5 hours ago, jm192 said:

Just like Dems never gave Trump credit for anything he did well

First president since Carter to not drag us into a foreign conflict.  What is funny is that if I called Trump "Carter II" the conservatives would take that as an insult while Carter has seemed to be doing really well lately that we are getting close to W's "it takes 50 years before historians can pass judgment" (or whatever he actually said.)  That's neither here nor there right now except that this should be considered high praise.  

7 hours ago, dkp993 said:

Technically his name was Maximus Decimus Meridius.

He was commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, and he was a loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. 

Normally I wouldnt correct people about something like that, but ever since his wife and kid were murdered the guy has become big on getting vengeance in either this life or the next, so I am just looking out for you. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 4
10 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Is this just your snarky way of saying you now understand what I said rather obviously initially?  It's in all those reply posts....every single one.  I get that you don't like the Darwin comment and I admitted it was harsh, but just a few posts after my comment you agreed with jm192 saying pretty much the exact same thing I said, sans bringing Darwin into it.  I don't do that sort of thing frequently and reserve it for special people like I described.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

Technically his name was Maximus Decimus Meridius.

He was commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, and he was a loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. 

Normally I wouldnt correct people about something like that, but ever since his wife and kid were murdered the guy has become big on getting vengeance in either this life or the next, so I am just looking out for you. 

Good lookin out!  Neither Maximus nor Russell are people I want coming after me.  

On 5/15/2021 at 9:48 AM, timschochet said:

how many people died since Biden won the election ?

got a number for me? 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, tonydead said:

360,130 out of 600,147 total.

and he rates Biden an A+ ?  "smooth, extraordinary example of good government"

wow

Edited by Stealthycat
On 5/13/2021 at 7:52 PM, Shula-holic said:

Scott Gottlieb has been way ahead of them in outlining what is likely to occur next and what phase we are in pretty much the whole way.  

“By June, nobody is going to be wearing masks,” Dr. Scott Gottlieb told CNBC on Monday.  The former FDA chief said he expects by next month the prevalence of Covid is going to be “sufficiently low in this country [and] we’re just not going to be concerned about it.”

Well we know a few that will, but, :thumbup:

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

Can you link where you got this number?

Link

Scroll down to the fourth chart below the state data table. Total deaths in orange.  240,017 on Nov 3rd, 600,147 yesterday.  Subtract the two. 

2 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

There have been a total of 586,000 deaths related to covid.

On January 19, 2021 the US surpassed 400,000.

Other than you preferring the New York Times over Worldometer I don't see anything different between the two links, other than yours is a bit out dated.   Perhaps it's a reading problem?

Since the CDC's recommendation only pertains to vaccinated people, it begs questions as to whether mask requirements should only apply to unvaccinated people, requiring proof of vaccination, whether vaccinations should be mandatory etc..    

To me, it makes sense to drop mask requirements entirely.  Given that our infection rates are plummeting and vaccines are readily available, the public health crisis is no longer as critical and the justification for having mask laws is waning.   Wear a mask if you want/need, but allow the unvaccinated to go mask free if they want.  Let them assume the risk of getting COVID and spreading it amongst their unvaccinated peers, who've also assumed that risk.  It is no longer the responsibility of the vaccinated to keep the unvaccinated safe by using the imperfect measure of wearing a mask when there is a far better option available. 

If infection rates blow up amongst the unvaccinated population and it becomes a public health crisis, that is when government should consider mandatory vaccination.  It could already be a requirement for schools and international travel, but I doubt we will ever get to needing that extreme of a solution.  

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

https://www.arlnow.com/2021/05/17/just-in-coronavirus-cases-hit-lowest-point-since-start-of-pandemic/

It's almost as if the coronavirus took one look at Smokin' Joe and beat a path out of town. Out of my town, anyway.

Nationally, as well. Using tonydead's Worldometers link, scroll down to the "Active Cases in the United States" graph. On Biden's 4th day in office, the active cases in the United States were at their highest point, 9.03 million. Today, that number is at 5.98 million and dropping.

The seven-day moving average of deaths/day was just over 4,000 on January 15th. Last two weeks, the peak averages have been 807 and 802 deaths/day and continuing to drop. See the 'Daily New Deaths in the United States' at the same link.

Just now, tonydead said:

Other than you preferring the New York Times over Worldometer I don't see anything different between the two links, other than yours is a bit out dated.   Perhaps it's a reading problem?

Your link shows over 400K on Jan 18, 2021

1 hour ago, Stealthycat said:

and he rates Biden an A+ ?  "smooth, extraordinary example of good government"

Can you express your point explicitly? Just make plain your thesis here.

3 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

:lmao: at measuring from election day. Respect.

To be fair...SC DID ask "since he won the election".  Can't really fault Tony here and have no real idea why that particular question has any sort of meaning whatsoever.  I really hope he was asking "since he took over"...otherwise, who knows why he thinks that's a meaningful question  :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

He's measuring from Election Day 2020 for an unexplained reason.

• Laughing 1
Just now, Amused to Death said:
1 minute ago, tonydead said:

See the interactive chart about 1/2 way down. 424,000 on Jan. 20. Now, factor in the Trump administration was blocking the incoming administration from covid data. Then how long do you give the new admin before they can act?

And yes, I see the current total of deaths sadly is just over 600K.

5 minutes ago, The Commish said:

To be fair...SC DID ask "since he won the election".  Can't really fault Tony here and have no real idea why that particular question has any sort of meaning whatsoever.  I really hope he was asking "since he took over"...otherwise, who knows why he thinks that's a meaningful question  :lol: 

That was definitely a team effort that elicited a genuine lol.