What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe convince some of your anti-vax friends in here to get the shot
Said this a thousand times.  I do whats right for me.  I don't convince anyone of anything.  Everyone is a grown person, make your own choices.   It's not my job to convince people of squat.  You all should learn this.

Is there something that has not been done that you think they should be happening here?
Yup...Meet the goal.   Instead of false promises with literally NO way to support it, make goals and promises that have a base in facts, not just sound bytes that you guys suck up like water through a straw,

Yup...Meet the goal.   Instead of false promises with literally NO way to support it, make goals and promises that have a base in facts, not just sound bytes that you guys suck up like water through a straw,
Was this a promise or a goal that we collectively should be rooting for as it benefits us all? I am disappointed we aren't higher as well but this is an odd thing to be critical of.

You can lead a horse to water but...

Was this a promise or a goal that we collectively should be rooting for as it benefits us all? I am disappointed we aren't higher as well but this is an odd thing to be critical of.

You can lead a horse to water but...
Im not against the goal.   Never said that.  I would love a goal of zero carbon emissions.and an immediate end to climate change.  Should Biden set that goal too?  Is it all about setting goals with no data to support it?  Would you suck that one up too?

I'm old enough to remember when "a million doses a day" and "a million doses a month" was rationalized to be "on the same trajectory" when the goals weren't met in December.  It's funny....not all that concerned about holding these guys accountable with this sort of vigor then  :lol:  

Said this a thousand times.  I do whats right for me.  I don't convince anyone of anything.  Everyone is a grown person, make your own choices.   It's not my job to convince people of squat.  You all should learn this.
Trying to persuade others to be vaccinated is pretty much the definition of doing what is right for you at this moment.  (Well, right after getting vaccinated yourself.)  Maybe your powers of persuasion are poor and you'll fail, maybe you'll connect with one or two others in a way that they needed to get over the hump, maybe you'll connect with a lot more than one or two folks in a way that the rest of us never could.  But any way you slice it, it is in your best interest to at least try.  Especially for those you care about.  

Im not against the goal.   Never said that.  I would love a goal of zero carbon emissions.and an immediate end to climate change.  Should Biden set that goal too?  Is it all about setting goals with no data to support it?  Would you suck that one up too?
Biden set a goal of 70% by July 4 and current 67% of American adults have had at least one shot.  The US had the vaccines and infrastructure in place to meet that goal. 

The only reason why it was not met is because a large portion of the American people are skeptical of science and don't trust the government.   If Biden failed at anything it was underestimating the stupidity of a lot of American people

I like goals. In the case of this goal I believe it was good to give states a target, it helped educated people to the importance of reaching a number that helps aid the effectiveness of a vaccination as a whole. 

We fell like 3% short of this.

I would see being critical if they failed to have places for people to go, there were long lines, people couldn't get one, distribution problems, etc...

I don't understand framing this as people "sucking this up". 

Last edited by a moderator:
So you reject Elon Musk's management style?   Or does maybe setting impossible goals (like getting a StarShip  in orbit) on impossible timelines (this month) ultimately gets things thought impossible done?

So you reject Elon Musk's management style?   Or does maybe setting impossible goals (like getting a StarShip  in orbit) on impossible timelines (this month) ultimately gets things thought impossible done?
This conversation is about the President nd his failure to deliver on a promise that he had zero basis to make in the first place.  Please stay focused.

Thanks

By “you guys” I’m assuming you mean basically everyone.  Setting goals and not meeting them is politics 101 and done by pretty much every politician ever.  

This conversation is about the President nd his failure to deliver on a promise that he had zero basis to make in the first place.  Please stay focused.

Thanks
So the concept of setting difficult goals which are highly unlikely such as going to the moon before the end of the 1960s isn't the problem, it is about this President's attempt to shoot for the stars and make it a few days late.  

You think Biden set this goal with no data? We got to 67%. A goal of 70% seems to be a pretty good guess if that's all it was

We’ve done a remarkable job with the vaccine rollout - we are far ahead of most countries.  Hopefully we get more people willing to get vaccinated to protect those who can’t.  Thankfully most of the deaths right now are unvaccinated folks who willingly put themselves in greater danger.

I do wish Trump and Obama would do PSAs to their constituents to promote vaccination. (If they haven’t already)

The failure to reach 70% is not the Biden Admin's fault - the infrastructure is there and the vaccine is readily available to anyone who wants it.  We are so fortunate, and yet large segments of the population have turned the pandemic into a political issue and refuse to give Biden this "win" by getting vaccinated, even though it may cost them their lives. 

Trying to convince these folks to get vaccinated is pointless, as it just adds to their unfounded and entitled views that they are being oppressed.  I have no problem leaving them alone - it's their decision - even though it means that COVID will continue to spread and mutate.

Thanks
Again the vaccines and infrastructure have been in place that could have far surpassed 70% if a certain segment of the population were smart enough and patriotic enough to do their part. 

I can see a Biden critic faulting him for a lot of things but in this case the failing is on people that won't get vaccinated.

Trying to persuade others to be vaccinated is pretty much the definition of doing what is right for you at this moment.  (Well, right after getting vaccinated yourself.)  Maybe your powers of persuasion are poor and you'll fail, maybe you'll connect with one or two others in a way that they needed to get over the hump, maybe you'll connect with a lot more than one or two folks in a way that the rest of us never could.  But any way you slice it, it is in your best interest to at least try.  Especially for those you care about.  
No it isn't 

The failure to reach 70% is not the Biden Admin's fault - the infrastructure is there and the vaccine is readily available to anyone who wants it.  We are so fortunate, and yet large segments of the population have turned the pandemic into a political issue and refuse to give Biden this "win" by getting vaccinated, even though it may cost them their lives. 

Trying to convince these folks to get vaccinated is pointless, as it just adds to their unfounded and entitled views that they are being oppressed.  I have no problem leaving them alone - it's their decision - even though it means that COVID will continue to spread and mutate.
There it is

We have enough vaccines to vaccinate everyone.  70% is a very reasonable goal to set once it's clear that we have enough vaccines to get there.  I'm shocked and saddened that we have so many unreasonable people in this country that refuse to get vaccinated.  This really shouldn't be a political issue.

We have enough vaccines to vaccinate everyone.  70% is a very reasonable goal to set once it's clear that we have enough vaccines to get there.  I'm shocked and saddened that we have so many unreasonable people in this country that refuse to get vaccinated.  This really shouldn't be a political issue.
I Agree 100%....It isn't a political issue. 

Only 14% of Americans say they will definitely not get vaccinated. But this group is 69% white, compared with 7% Black and 12% Hispanic. Republicans make up 58% of this group, while Democrats account for 18%.
Sorry.  I meant to me it isn't political. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Godsbrother said:
The only reason why it was not met is because a large portion of the American people are skeptical of science and don't trust the government.   If Biden failed at anything it was underestimating the stupidity of a lot of American people
i would more so say skeptical of the motives and intentions of large power systems including medical/pharmaceutical, media, philanthropic, political, and yes, big time don't trust the government.

to be otherwise, would seem to be amazing.

Why are people talking about 67% as if Biden was soooooo close to hitting his goal?  His goal was 70% vaccinated.  He's at 67% having had at least one shot.  You aren't considered vaccinated until you've had the complete regimen of two shots.  How far we're really below 70% is unknown, but it's more than 3%, and probably a lot more since this administration is using the 67% as a talking point. 

Why are people talking about 67% as if Biden was soooooo close to hitting his goal?  His goal was 70% vaccinated.  He's at 67% having had at least one shot.  You aren't considered vaccinated until you've had the complete regimen of two shots.  How far we're really below 70% is unknown, but it's more than 3%, and probably a lot more since this administration is using the 67% as a talking point. 
His goal was 70% with at least one shot not fully vaccinated.

Yeah, I looked it up.  Cool.  Of course, he also missed his goal of 160 million people fully vaccinated, which isn't talked about much.
If Donald Trump had won and set a goal of 160 million and 10's of millions of liberals tried to own him by not getting the shot, what would you be saying here instead?

Mookie said:
The failure to reach 70% is not the Biden Admin's fault
Realistically we're at ~85% or so with folks that recovered from COVID.  This is why our cases have dropped off a cliff.  Good on Trump and Biden for getting this done.

It's also why places like Canada are still locked down - their vaccination percentages are pretty terrible.

Lovely people here

Candace Owens

@RealCandaceO

Not one person in my family will ever touch the Covid-19 vaccine. That is the decision that we have made, unabashedly, as a family. Medical freedom is an individual right that should NEVER be infringed upon and any person who thinks otherwise has no place in our government.

Lovely people here

Candace Owens

@RealCandaceO

Not one person in my family will ever touch the Covid-19 vaccine. That is the decision that we have made, unabashedly, as a family. Medical freedom is an individual right that should NEVER be infringed upon and any person who thinks otherwise has no place in our government.
I think I agree with her.  But, I also think she has not fully thought through this position.

I do think medical decisions should be left to individuals - but that does not mean that government/businesses/society cannot place their own rules which require things like vaccines to participate in certain activities - schools, for instance, or cruises.

But, where her argument falls down (or at least I think, based on what I assume is her base position), abortion is a medical treatment that, in her words: "is an individual right that should NEVER be infringed upon and any person who thinks otherwise has no place in our government."

Either she is for "medical freedom" or she is not.  I suspect she has no internal consistency on this policy.

I think I agree with her.  But, I also think she has not fully thought through this position.

I do think medical decisions should be left to individuals - but that does not mean that government/businesses/society cannot place their own rules which require things like vaccines to participate in certain activities - schools, for instance, or cruises.

But, where her argument falls down (or at least I think, based on what I assume is her base position), abortion is a medical treatment that, in her words: "is an individual right that should NEVER be infringed upon and any person who thinks otherwise has no place in our government."

Either she is for "medical freedom" or she is not.  I suspect she has no internal consistency on this policy.
She's absolutely consistent.  She says/does whatever it takes to get the attention.  This explains her history in politics and how she's gotten to where she's at.  

I have no problem with "medical freedom" and recognize the hypocrisy in her remarks. 

I just think she is damn fool for not getting vaccinated and if everyone felt the same way this country would still be in lockdown with many more people dead or seriously ill.   

I'm  at a point where I don't see the necessity of covering COVID anymore.  We've been months into "anyone who wants a vax can get it" phase.  The next thing I care about is when a vax will be ready for my youngest kids and that's only so we can tell them they are free of masks too.  The people I feel worst for are those who can't get the vax.  The selfishness of many has to be a major bummer for them.

I'm  at a point where I don't see the necessity of covering COVID anymore.  We've been months into "anyone who wants a vax can get it" phase.  The next thing I care about is when a vax will be ready for my youngest kids and that's only so we can tell them they are free of masks too.  The people I feel worst for are those who can't get the vax.  The selfishness of many has to be a major bummer for them.
Such a tired act

I'm  at a point where I don't see the necessity of covering COVID anymore.  We've been months into "anyone who wants a vax can get it" phase.  
Yep.  I still check in on these threads every few days out of boredom or just curiosity about what's going on in them, but I spend very little thinking about covid-19 any more.  When I do think it about it, it's more like an abstract problem affecting other countries, not the US.

Yep.  I still check in on these threads every few days out of boredom or just curiosity about what's going on in them, but I spend very little thinking about covid-19 any more.  When I do think it about it, it's more like an abstract problem affecting other countries, not the US.
I haven't gotten to  this point yet.  I recognize it's still a problem and very real, but at this point, "government response" part has sailed.  And I would probably be closer to your position if I didn't live where I did with a 9 year old and a 4 year old.  We are basically a petri dish of infection down here.  

I am starting to get a little "interested" in both the spread in foreign countries as they open back up (Tokyo Olympics, for instance going with No Spectators caught me a little by surprise), and also keeping an eye on the variants and mutations in the US - hoping that the vaccine proves effective.

I am starting to get a little "interested" in both the spread in foreign countries as they open back up (Tokyo Olympics, for instance going with No Spectators caught me a little by surprise), and also keeping an eye on the variants and mutations in the US - hoping that the vaccine proves effective.
I am shocked that the Olympics are still on.  It's unreal.  It's only a matter of time before the spike protein changes to render vaccines ineffective.  We keep giving it opportunity to adapt, it will.  All this could be avoided and I keep going back to those who can't get the vax...that has to be a helpless feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread