Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Government Response To The Coronavirus

James Daulton

1 hour ago, dawgtrails said:

The goal is to what?

Ensure that teachers get to skip another school year.  Paid, of course.

Let's not forget that the union there demanded that all students and teachers be vaccinated prior to in-person school.  The impossible mandate.  All of this to spring teachers loose.  With the advice to not publish their vacation spots during the school year on social media.

Edited by Sand

56 minutes ago, Sand said:

Ensure that teachers get to skip another school year.  Paid, of course.

Let's not forget that the union there demanded that all students and teachers be vaccinated prior to in-person school.  The impossible mandate.  All of this to spring teachers loose.  With the advice to not publish their vacation spots during the school year on social media.

I know many teachers. Was a teacher myself for 7 years. It is a ridiculous assertion that all they want is to "skip" another year. 1) nobody skipped a year last year, and 2) virtual learning was a complete #### show and I know very few teachers that want to repeat that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

I know many teachers. Was a teacher myself for 7 years. It is a ridiculous assertion that all they want is to "skip" another year. 1) nobody skipped a year last year, and 2) virtual learning was a complete #### show and I know very few teachers that want to repeat that

I didn't say teachers wanted it.  The union wants it (I've said this a few times in this thread consistently).  This is plainly obvious from their extensive, impossible to fulfill mandates.

Edited by Sand

1 hour ago, dawgtrails said:

Nobody wants it until they do. 

This is just like all the work-from-homers that whined nonstop about how hard the new normal was on slack channels all year that suddenly dont want to come back to work in the office. 

Politics and behavior. Strong correlations between voting for Trump and vaccination rate. At the state level, R-squared is 0.73, at the county level it's 0.44. Those numbers are very high, although the usual interpretation of explaining % of variance may not apply depending on the exact methodology. And there are confounding variables such as age and a measure of urban vs rural.

https://mobile.twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1421571066992939016

https://mobile.twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1421561819601248257

3 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Nobody wants it until they do. 

This is just like all the work-from-homers that whined nonstop about how hard the new normal was on slack channels all year that suddenly dont want to come back to work in the office. 

This is not what I've experienced. Many people want to continue working at home full time, and many people want to get back to the office. Either way the people that are vocal about it are also very consistent about it. I've not experienced this weird flip flop that you describe.

32 minutes ago, tymarsas said:

This is not what I've experienced. Many people want to continue working at home full time, and many people want to get back to the office. Either way the people that are vocal about it are also very consistent about it. I've not experienced this weird flip flop that you describe.

..and work isn't the same as school.  I have yet to meet a teacher or parent that would choose online crap again.  That was a miserable year +

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dawgtrails said:

Florida with its highest case total ever. Ugh

https://twitter.com/AmandiOnAir/status/1421563871983194123?s=20

BREAKING: The State of Florida reports record 21,683 NEW coronavirus cases — the largest one-day increase on record — 108 new deaths + over 10,000+ are currently hospitalized across the state.

I was told DeSantis was doing a fantastic job with Covid.

52 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I was told DeSantis was doing a fantastic job with Covid.

He done an amazing job for COVID. I think his goal is the have the next variant emerge from there. The Florida Man variant.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dawgtrails said:

I know many teachers who want the virtual to continue.  So in my state, virtual was 3 hours of on-line teaching vs 7 hours normally and no commute.   Which would you prefer?

4 hours ago, dawgtrails said:

BREAKING: The State of Florida reports record 21,683 NEW coronavirus cases — the largest one-day increase on record — 108 new deaths + over 10,000+ are currently hospitalized across the state.

Please refer to death rates by state.https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

Facts are important..

57 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

He done an amazing job for COVID. I think his goal is the have the next variant emerge from there. The Florida Man variant.

If you go by death rates that’s true.  New Jersey is the worst then ny, mass and Rhode Island.  Florida ranks 25th,  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tymarsas said:

I personally had a flip flop. Wfh in March thru June 2020 was brutal with my son remote learning every day and trying to navigate all that nonsense while working in my kitchen. Then in Sept he went back to school and I turned my spare bedroom into an office and now I love wfh.

1 hour ago, stlrams said:

I know many teachers who want the virtual to continue.  So in my state, virtual was 3 hours of on-line teaching vs 7 hours normally and no commute.   Which would you prefer?

This isn't true for the entirety of your state.  In fact, the state left it up to individual towns entirely.

56 minutes ago, jobarules said:

I personally had a flip flop. Wfh in March thru June 2020 was brutal with my son remote learning every day and trying to navigate all that nonsense while working in my kitchen. Then in Sept he went back to school and I turned my spare bedroom into an office and now I love wfh.

Fair enough. My point is not that it doesn't happen, but that it is pretty rare and certainly isn't worth basing an argument on.

10 hours ago, stlrams said:

Please refer to death rates by state.https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

Facts are important..

He didn't say anything about the percentage of deaths, or where Florida ranked in any category. 

He said Florida had their highest increase yet. 

Can you explain how the death rate in Florida matters in this context? 

9 hours ago, Rich Conway said:

This isn't true for the entirety of your state.  In fact, the state left it up to individual towns entirely.

That’s true.  The cites were entirely virtual, wonder why?  And every where else was gave the parents the option of in class or virtual.

24 minutes ago, massraider said:

He didn't say anything about the percentage of deaths, or where Florida ranked in any category. 

He said Florida had their highest increase yet. 

Can you explain how the death rate in Florida matters in this context? 

Because that’s the most important stat imho.  Government can’t control whether people get the vaccine or not   Can you explain why Florida has the highest increase?

I like that the ellusive death rate stat is now important. Reality is, this particular stat isnt going to be all that accurate for another 2-3 years and its definitely, at best, a guess for the year 2020. The denominator is pretty fluid for the first 10ish months given our inability to test and contact trace. 

All that said, none of this has much to do with DeSantis himself.  His "decision" in all this was to primarily punt to local municipalities and fortunately that worked for a while. I dont even blame him for the fiasco we are now enduring. This is on the unvaccinated at this point. Yeah, he could have said things differently. He could have been a role model by showing people the vaccine was safe when he got his etc, but thats not going to make many change their minds. Thats on the individual and we have a bunch of Florida Mans here. We're going to have problems for a while. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

If all these teachers want to be in school and never do virtual again thats awesome.

I was worried virtual schooling would be coming back in a lot of places. Obviously that is not a valid concern at all then. 

Prior to Covid I thought we would eventually get to a point where remote school was common - I don't think I (and many others) really thought throw the social impact to remote learning.  Maybe we can make it work down the road but I'm not sure we are anywhere close to it working well for most.  I'm not sure whether that's a factor or our broken school systems, human nature or a mix of the two plus other things - I'm just glad that all my kids will be done with HS in the next 5 years.

17 hours ago, dawgtrails said:

I keep seeing this "highest case total ever"  this article says it and gives a link to cdc data. But that CDC data linked in the article shows days that were higher. What am i missing? One day in january had over 30k reported. 

28 minutes ago, massraider said:

In determining what, exactly?  

Florida started the month with 2,432 new covid cases and yesterday reported 38,776.  

Would you rather be dead or sick?

On 7/31/2021 at 8:55 AM, Alex P Keaton said:

Does that impact hospitalizations and deaths?

I'm not sure if there is incentive anywhere to suppress the numbers at a hospital level - so the vaccinated who are covid positive are only being counted if they're hospitalized or die.

in the coming months, we'll see what the real numbers are or people dying who have been vaccinated. Maybe they stay lower than unvaccinated maybe not. time will tell

A local Dr posted this on facebook yesterday "13 of the 35 patients I saw last Saturday were unvaccinated covid patients."

that means 22 were vaccinated, but why didn't he just say that ? odd

another article says

"WASHINGTON — At least 125,000 fully vaccinated Americans have tested positive for Covid and 1,400 of those have died, according to data collected by NBC Newss"

that's not very very low and the numbers are increasing everyday, not decreasing, and again, the "tested positive" is a joke considering nobody is testing vaccinated for covid !

https://www.google.com/search?q=vaccinated+and+covid+positive&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS831US834&sxsrf=ALeKk02zXUFTRqri70_8OSXGXQ6v_fk5Ww:1627830307535&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMnPC5jJDyAhWF9Z4KHRNkCUgQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=1183&bih=527

more and more everyday as people start to realize that dang, vaccinated don't mean as much as Biden and this administration said it did

Edited by Stealthycat

On 7/31/2021 at 9:37 AM, dawgtrails said:

This is patently false. 

Unvaccinated workers will also need to be regularly tested for the virus. Each federal agency will come up with a plan for testing its unvaccinated work force, Karine Jean-Pierre, the deputy White House press secretary.2 days ago

why not test vaccinated people ? so you see - you're wrong

21 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

I'm not sure if there is incentive anywhere to suppress the numbers at a hospital level - so the vaccinated who are covid positive are only being counted if they're hospitalized or die.

in the coming months, we'll see what the real numbers are or people dying who have been vaccinated. Maybe they stay lower than unvaccinated maybe not. time will tell

A local Dr posted this on facebook yesterday "13 of the 35 patients I saw last Saturday were unvaccinated covid patients."

another article says

"WASHINGTON — At least 125,000 fully vaccinated Americans have tested positive for Covid and 1,400 of those have died, according to data collected by NBC Newss"

that's not very very low and the numbers are increasing everyday, not decreasing, and again, the "tested positive" is a joke considering nobody is testing vaccinated for covid !

https://www.google.com/search?q=vaccinated+and+covid+positive&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS831US834&sxsrf=ALeKk02zXUFTRqri70_8OSXGXQ6v_fk5Ww:1627830307535&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMnPC5jJDyAhWF9Z4KHRNkCUgQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=1183&bih=527

more and more everyday as people start to realize that dang, vaccinated don't mean as much as Biden and this administration said it did

Out of 164m vaccinated that's not very very low?

Jackson Hospital in Miami reported today's number of hospitalized with COVID. After an exponential increase in early July, the numbers have leveled off, probably due to the large number of vaccinated people, in the county, over 74% with at least 1 dose. County officials from both parties have publicly supported the vacvine, including photo-ops.

The numbers:

66 COVID-positive inpatients on July 1 to 139 today, July 19 — a 111 percent increase. Then 

143, 146, 155, 171, 174, 195, 205, 207, 209, 217, 232, 229, 228.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JacksonHealth?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

52 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

another article says

Does this mean that Operation Warp Speed was a failure?

“another article says

Stealthycat, please post a link to the article this came from. You posted a link to a Google News search, but I couldn’t find the article that contained this paragraph. There was an NBC News article, but it didn’t have this paragraph.

I could’ve overlooked it. Mind helping out?

EDIT:  Never mind, found it:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/breakthrough-covid-cases-least-125-000-fully-vaccinated-americans-have-n1275500

Edited by Doug B

14 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Does this mean that Operation Warp Speed was a failure?

the delivery of so much vaccine wasn't a failure no - I think it was exceptionally costly but the goal was to get everyone the ability to get the shot if they wanted it - in that regards no, it was success

the actually success of the vaccine itself is still unknown 

5 minutes ago, Doug B said:

“another article says

Stealthycat, please post a link to the article this came from. You posted a link to a Google News search, but I couldn’t find the article that contained this paragraph. There was an NBC News article, but it didn’t have this paragraph.

I could’ve overlooked it. Mind helping out?

I think it was this one

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/breakthrough-covid-cases-least-125-000-fully-vaccinated-americans-have-n1275500

9 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

the delivery of so much vaccine wasn't a failure no - I think it was exceptionally costly but the goal was to get everyone the ability to get the shot if they wanted it - in that regards no, it was success

the actually success of the vaccine itself is still unknown 

But wasn’t part of the goal to get an effective vaccine quickly, in large quantities?  It wasn’t just to quickly get out a junk vaccine, which is what you are implying we got.

2 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

Unless there is other info provided that is not in that sentence, you cannot know why the other 22 people were at the doctor, let alone definitively say the are vaccinated covid patients 

13 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

This implies that all 35 patients had covid. Is that what he said? Or did he see 35 patients and 13 of them had covid, all of those were unvaccinated?

Edited by Amused to Death

2 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

Jackson Hospital in Miami reported today's number of hospitalized with COVID. After an exponential increase in early July, the numbers have leveled off, probably due to the large number of vaccinated people, in the county, over 74% with at least 1 dose. County officials from both parties have publicly supported the vacvine, including photo-ops.

The numbers:

66 COVID-positive inpatients on July 1 to 139 today, July 19 — a 111 percent increase. Then 

143, 146, 155, 171, 174, 195, 205, 207, 209, 217, 232, 229, 228.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JacksonHealth?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

But in the entire state of Florida, hospitalizations have reached an all-time high and deaths are on the upswing, now averaging over 50 per day. Some of this may be due to regions with low vaccination rates, such as the Jacksonville area counties. Luckily, the vaccination rate is increasing again as people look at the numbers and some families of those who died make public pleas for vaccinations.

Florida breaks record for COVID-19 hospitalizations

https://covidactnow.org/us/florida-fl/?s=21291052

COVID-19 devastated family of Duval Schools employees. Now, daughter is urging vaccine

1 hour ago, Cheese and Crackers said:

Unless there is other info provided that is not in that sentence, you cannot know why the other 22 people were at the doctor, let alone definitively say the are vaccinated covid patients 

the entire article was on covid - he wasn't seeing people for tonsils I don't think

Wed night ate dinner with 8 company people ... Fri met with one of them for an hour or so close quarters .... today get a text from that guy he's covid positive, said Friday was the symptoms

once again I've been around covid positive, symptomatic person .... will I get covid this time? time will tell - I am almost certain will be told to go get nasal swab and isolate for a week

am I worried? nope - not one bit 

21 hours ago, dawgtrails said:

so back when nobody was vaccinated, there was never a one day increase that bad but now, with 48.59% of Florida's population vaccinated, covid cases  are soaring ?

more vaccinations and more covid positives ... hmmmmmm

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

so back when nobody was vaccinated, there was never a one day increase that bad but now, with 48.59% of Florida's population vaccinated, covid cases  are soaring ?

Seriously?  97% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated....  hmmmmm

• Thinking 1

22 minutes ago, Prinefan said:

Seriously?  97% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated....  hmmmmm

good news is 50% of Floridians are vaccinated and don't have to worry about anything 

46 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

Why do you think this is?

8 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

good news is 50% of Floridians are vaccinated and don't have to worry about anything 

Or they worry about their friends and family members who are not vaccinated and may die.

It is really tiresome to hear you repeatedly take such a selfish stance on this topic. It is not just about your health, or your family's health. Like it or not, we are in this #### show together

• Thanks 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

What conclusion do you draw from this?

2 hours ago, The General said:

Why do you think this is?

more vaccinations = more covid it appears ?

maybe vaccinated not wearing masks and going everywhere is spreading it like wildfire to those not vaccinated? 

maybe 100,000 walking across the border every month is brining in new variants ?

maybe unvaccinated are going to get covid at a 10% rate while  vaccinated clips along at 2% ?

we don't know yet .... if I get covid, I aint going to blame everyone else for it though, I chose my choices

• Love 1

2 hours ago, dawgtrails said:

Or they worry about their friends and family members who are not vaccinated and may die.

It is really tiresome to hear you repeatedly take such a selfish stance on this topic. It is not just about your health, or your family's health. Like it or not, we are in this #### show together

the above is really tiresome

if you've been vaccinated you got NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT - Biden has said that over and over

don't worry about unvaccinated - most of us probably don't want you to worry

vaccinated people are capable of spreading covid all over the place - doesn't that bother you too ? don't you see it as selfish to walk around without a mask, go to parties and get togethers etc knowing you can be spreading covid ?

• Love 1