What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different people in different places making different decisions based on different motives. The NC school districts aren't taking cues from the Lollapalooza organizer, and vice versa.

Seeking lockstep consistency in human affairs leads only to confusion and disappointment. As often as possible, resist the urge to ask "But what about this?" It gets in the way of understanding.
I appreciate the feedback. Using the term motives over data explains a lot of it. It just makes it difficult to follow the science at times. 

Not sure if anybody has posted Osterholm's comments yet...

We know today that many of the face cloth coverings that people wear are not very effective in reducing any of the virus movement in or out.

We need to talk about better masking. We need to talk about N-95 respirators, which would do a lot for both people who are not yet vaccinated or not previously infected”

We've known this for over a year now and it hasn't gained any traction yet. Masks arent about safety. 
I supported masks and still support N95 masks and KN95 masks. 

But it is painfully obvious at this point that masks have become about signaling. This is exactly why the whole exhalation valve stupidity still exists. 

The valve is a visible cue. Nothing more, nothing less. Anybody advocating against them is just uninformed or doesnt care about the actual effectiveness and just wants to be on the team.

It is pitiful.

We mandate all kinds of things on businesses - you can't fire women because they get pregnant, you can't refuse service based on race, etc. etc.  If businesses believe those things are in their best interest that's ok by you?
How do protected class laws come into play here exactly?  I don't see it that way, but maybe I'm missing something.  In my view, masks are significantly closer to "no shoes, no shirt, no service" or not being allowed to walk around naked just because you want to, but again, maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if anybody has posted Osterholm's comments yet...
That with personal protection?  Correct?

Not two people wearing surgical or multi layer cloth and their effectiveness.  Which combined with a decent percentage of vaccinated still provides more protection than no masks and relying on the unvaccinated to wear N95s.

How do protected class laws come into play here exactly?  I don't see it that way, but maybe I'm missing something.  In my view, masks are significantly closer to "no shoes, no shirt, no service", but again, maybe I'm missing something.
The unvaccinated are literally an unprotected class

That with personal protection?  Correct?

Not two people wearing surgical or multi layer cloth and their effectiveness.  Which combined with a decent percentage of vaccinated still provides more protection than no masks and relying on the unvaccinated to wear N95s.
his comments were pretty clear. 

I'm guessing most people infatuated with everyone getting covid shots are also the same ones who are for all these illegally here people ?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/covid-cases-migrants-rio-grande-valley-sector-border-numbers

EXCLUSIVE: The number of detainees who tested positive for COVID-19 in the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) Sector alone has increased by 900%, according to information obtained by Fox News.

The Biden administration has been struggling to get a grip of the crisis at the southern border, which saw more than 188,000 migrants encountered in June alone -- including a 25% increase in the number of family units encountered.

his comments were pretty clear. 
His comments did not address what I said.  And focussed in those not vaccinated or who have not been infected thus having antibodies.

It was some of what we already know about masks as your own protection.  Little to nothing as far as what protection everyone masked plus some vaccinated has.    But thanks.

I'm guessing most people infatuated with everyone getting covid shots are also the same ones who are for all these illegally here people ?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/covid-cases-migrants-rio-grande-valley-sector-border-numbers

EXCLUSIVE: The number of detainees who tested positive for COVID-19 in the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) Sector alone has increased by 900%, according to information obtained by Fox News.

The Biden administration has been struggling to get a grip of the crisis at the southern border, which saw more than 188,000 migrants encountered in June alone -- including a 25% increase in the number of family units encountered.
This is clearly something that shouldnt be a partisan issue at this point. 

His comments did not address what I said.  And focussed in those not vaccinated or who have not been infected thus having antibodies.

It was some of what we already know about masks as your own protection.  Little to nothing as far as what protection everyone masked plus some vaccinated has.    But thanks.
Which part of this...

We know today that many of the face cloth coverings that people wear are not very effective in reducing any of the virus movement in or out
Didnt you understand?

Which part of this...

Didnt you understand?
Are not very…how much.  How much when both are wearing.  How much is it simple one layer cloth vs three layer and so on?

Its nit as cut and dry as you think despite then condescending attitude.

And realize I have read up on this from more than just him.  And that the idea of a new kn95 daily is not realistic for anyone. 

Are not very…how much.  How much when both are wearing.  How much is it simple one layer cloth vs three layer and so on?

And realize I have read up on this from more than just him.  And that the idea of a new kn95 daily is not realistic for anyone. 
KN95s are like $0.39 now. You can get 8hrs of use and then wash them and blow dry them to give them back static charge and get two more days out of them with minimal degredation (have to wash twice total to get 3 wears per mask, washing is done with just hot water).

So yes, it is very feasible.

We know today that many of the face cloth coverings that people wear are not very effective in reducing any of the virus movement in or out
Didnt you understand?
The hitch is the "many of" part. Osterholm is saying that some cloth masks are effective, then?

Otherwise, he's just reiterating the obvious:

a) Yes, flimsy and poorly-sealed bandanas and gaiters offer poor protection. Likely the same for cheapo cloth masks made for show.
b) Yes, N95s will outperform other types of masks.

I don't hear in his words "Wear an N95, or else don't waste your time." Osterholm makes assertions but doesn't mention any backing data or citations (to be fair, it was a quick-and-dirty interview on television). I'm not swayed by his "smelling smoke" analogy without more information, because I don't believe totally blocking molecule-sized particles (which is what you smell) is comparable to (say) ~80% blocking of exhaled droplets.

He may well be correct in a broad sense. Yet I want to unpack that "many of" section, and know more about the cloth masks he apparently feels like offer at least good-enough protection (if not at the N95 level). Is he just doing the "scientist's hedge" about cloth masks -- leaving open the prospect that some cloth mask somewhere offers decent protection -- or does he really mean "N95s or nothing"?

The hitch is the "many of" part. Osterholm is saying that some cloth masks are effective, then?

Otherwise, he's just reiterating the obvious:

a) Yes, flimsy and poorly-sealed bandanas and gaiters offer poor protection. Likely the same for cheapo cloth masks made for show.
b) Yes, N95s will outperform other types of masks.

I don't hear in his words "Wear an N95, or else don't waste your time." Osterholm makes assertions but doesn't mention any backing data or citations (to be fair, it was a quick-and-dirty interview on television). I'm not swayed by his "smelling smoke" analogy without more information, because I don't believe totally blocking molecule-sized particles (which is what you smell) is comparable to (say) ~80% blocking of exhaled droplets.

He may well be correct in a broad sense. Yet I want to unpack that "many of" section, and know more about the cloth masks he apparently feels like offer at least good-enough protection (if not at the N95 level). Is he just doing the "scientist's hedge" about cloth masks -- leaving open the prospect that some cloth mask somewhere offers decent protection -- or does he really mean "N95s or nothing"?
He has done more than one interview. His pbs one was like 15 minutes. His comments arent hard to find. But that snippet was a clear summation.

Is there any good epidemiological evidence about the effectiveness of masking in preventing influenza or COVID? I don't think engineering type studies of masks is the end all.

He has done more than one interview. His pbs one was like 15 minutes. His comments arent hard to find. But that snippet was a clear summation.
I will look for something in print or online. He's published some articles before.

If I saw Osterholm in person and had the opportunity to talk shop ... the first thing I would ask him about is unpacking his "many of the cloth masks" bit. Is it or is it not a blanket condemnation? He left the door open.

Does anyone have a good link to something that details the effectiveness of masks.  With data.  For sure as of today's understanding, but ideally with some sort of history on any changes in datapoints.  Thx
I ran across something today that might have what you're after.

It was a post in a thread on another message board. It's a topic titled "SARS-CoV-2 Variants and Mask Effectiveness (Factual)". The thirteenth post reads as follows:

If you want more reading material, these are links to articles regarding mask effectiveness that the head of my local county health department provided today when challenged by one of the judges about mask recommendations. The delta variant, which is on the increase locally, had prompted the interaction between the health department and the judge. I don’t know if any of the articles touch specifically on the issue of equal effectiveness for all COVID variants. I would wonder if newer variants have existed long enough for anyone to do studies of variant-specific mask effectiveness.

A rapid systematic review of the efficacy of face masks and respirators against coronaviruses and other respiratory transmissible viruses for the community, healthcare workers and sick patients (nih.gov) 

An evidence review of face masks against COVID-19 | PNAS

How effective is a mask in preventing COVID‐19 infection? (nih.gov)

Effectiveness of Mask Wearing to Control Community Spread of SARS-CoV-2 | Infectious Diseases | JAMA | JAMA Network

Making sense of the research on COVID-19 and masks (byu.edu)

Face masks effectively limit the probability of SARS-CoV-2 transmission | Science (sciencemag.org) 
Expand  
I have not gone through all that myself. It is plenty to wade through. With the questions you have, I would open each link and do some keyword searches (CTRL+F) to see if they address the specific points in which you are interested.

Beyond that post, that overall thread has lots of links to other articles in a similar vein. A lot to wade through, but a lot of well-sourced info for those seeking to dive deep.

Reposted for @SoBeDad

Republicans then: “ZOMG Obama told me I can keep my doctor and now my doctor isn’t on my plan!”

Republicans now: “LOL why should I trust anything doctors say when I have YouTubers giving me medical advice?”

In Germany, cloth masks are basically banned.  Customers in public business (grocery stores, restaurants, etc) are required to wear N95/KN95/FFP.  Other businesses can require the blue/white or the N95's for their employees.  Cloth has been banned since at least November IIRC.

Republicans then: “ZOMG Obama told me I can keep my doctor and now my doctor isn’t on my plan!”

Republicans now: “LOL why should I trust anything doctors say when I have YouTubers giving me medical advice?”
My first thought was that the whole HCQ thing was a coping mechanism. People stressed out from the pandemic grabbing onto any cure they believed would end the nightmare. But then the vaccine came out and gave an actual way to beat the pandemic and they want nothing to do with it. But sign me up for the malaria drug and high doses of an anti-parasitic.

I supported masks and still support N95 masks and KN95 masks. 

But it is painfully obvious at this point that masks have become about signaling. This is exactly why the whole exhalation valve stupidity still exists. 

The valve is a visible cue. Nothing more, nothing less. Anybody advocating against them is just uninformed or doesnt care about the actual effectiveness and just wants to be on the team.

It is pitiful.
To be fair, the information around specific types of masks has always been incredibly confusing. I did a fair amount of research around it last year, not out of idle curiosity but because I was being forced to go into the office and didn't want to endanger my health or that of my family. And I still found it difficult to figure out. I started with basic cloth masks, then shifted to multi-layer cloth with removable filters, and then ended up on KF94s. (Then I got vaxxed and mostly stopped worrying, so I went back to my basic cloth ones until this week, when I placed an order for more KF94s). I didn't order N95s because I read that proles like me should leave them for medical professionals, and I shied away from KN95s because I wasn't sure how to evaluate the quality. But even with the KF94s I ended up getting, they initially left lots of gaps and I had to separately order headband connectors to use on the back of my head and ensure a better fit.

It's really a shame that no entrepreneurs recognized the opportunity to launch a kind of "masks for dummies" brand, similar to those wine stores that cater to people who are clueless about wine. It's like, here's what you need, making use of the best (affordable) technology, sourced from China or Korea or wherever but we guarantee the quality, maybe a little bit of fashion sprinkled on top, and the margin is slightly higher because you're paying for trust.

Scott Alexander has thoughts on the FDA.  (This is just one snippet from a much-longer article).

Although the FDA did kill thousands of people by unnecessarily delaying COVID tests, at least it also killed thousands of people by unnecessarily delaying COVID vaccines. I’ll let you click on links for the details (1, 2, 3, 4, etc, etc, etc) except to remind you that they still have not officially granted full approval to a single COVID vaccine, and the only reason we can get these at all is through provisional approvals that they wouldn’t have granted without so much political pressure.

I worry that people are going to come away from this with some conclusion like “wow, the FDA seemed really unprepared to handle COVID.” No. It’s not that specific. Every single thing the FDA does is like this. Every single hour of every single day the FDA does things exactly this stupid and destructive, and the only reason you never hear about the others is because they’re about some disease with a name like Schmoe’s Syndrome and a few hundred cases nationwide instead of something big and media-worthy like coronavirus. I am a doctor and sometimes I have to deal with the Schmoe’s Syndromes of the world and every f@$king time there is some story about the FDA doing something exactly this awful and counterproductive. A while back I learned about Infant Short Bowel Syndrome, a rare condition with only a few hundred cases nationwide. Babies cannot digest food effectively, but you can save their lives by using an IV line to direct nutrients directly into their veins. But you need to use the right nutrient fluid. The FDA approved an early draft of the nutrient fluid, but it didn’t have enough fish oil, which is necessary for development, so a lot of the babies still died or ended up with permanent neurological damage. Around the late 90s/early 00s, researchers figured out what was going on and recommended adding fish oil to the IV fluid. The FDA responded that they had only approved the non-fish-oil version, it would take them a while to approve the new version, and until they did that adding fish oil was illegal. A bunch of babies kept dying and getting permanent neurological damage, and everyone knew exactly how to stop it, but if anyone did the FDA would take away their licenses and shut them down. Around 2010, Boston Children’s Hospital found some loophole that let them add fish oil to their nutrient fluid on site, and infants with short bowel syndrome at that one hospital stopped dying or ending up permanently disabled, and the FDA grudgingly agreed to permit it but banned them from distributing their formulation or letting it cross state lines - so for a while if you wanted your baby not to die you had to have them spend their infancy in one specific hospital in Massachusetts. Around 2015 the FDA said that if your doctor applied for a special exemption, they would let you import the correct nutritional fluid from Europe (where, lacking the FDA, they had just added fish oil to the fluid as soon as researchers discovered it was necessary), but you were only able to apply after your baby had already sustained serious damage, and the FDA might just say no. Finally in 2018 the FDA got around to approving the corrected nutritional fluid and now babies with short bowel syndrome do fine, after twenty years of easily preventable state-mandated deaths. And it’s not just this and coronavirus, I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW TYPICAL THIS IS OF EVERYTHING THE FDA DOES ALL THE TIME.

…anyway, The Atlantic says the FDA needs to be stricter and wait longer to approve things, and I am against this.

https://astralcodexten.substack.com/p/adumbrations-of-aducanumab

Why would you guess that?

things I've read makes me think that

the oddest thing is that when Trump was in office, Democrats/left/liberals were like hell no, aint getting no shots if Trump says to, even Kamala said no no no, no way

the same people now have got their shots and are wanting everyone else to

I wonder ... if Trump had won, would all the anti-Trumpers been pro-vaccine or not?   

the oddest thing is that when Trump was in office, Democrats/left/liberals were like hell no, aint getting no shots if Trump says to, even Kamala said no no no, no way

I wonder ... if Trump had won, would all the anti-Trumpers been pro-vaccine or not?   
Sold anti-Trumper that would have gotten the vaccination as soon as it was approved by the FDA no matter who was president.

That's not what she said.  I watched it live.  I've gone back and read the transcripts.  You should do the same.

not everyone is hyper-partisan.

That's not what she said.  I watched it live.  I've gone back and read the transcripts.  You should do the same.
Can you at least acknowledge some of the campaign rhetoric by the dems during the run up to election has contributed to the hesitancy? It was open season on questioning the vaccine. 

I don't recall any of this happening. Anyone I know was going to get the vaccine ASAP regardless of who was president, myself included. I'm not sure where you're getting your information. 

Can you at least acknowledge some of the campaign rhetoric by the dems during the run up to election has contributed to the hesitancy? It was open season on questioning the vaccine. 
How so? I'm not denying this was happening,  but I don't remember it.

I don't recall any of this happening. Anyone I know was going to get the vaccine ASAP regardless of who was president, myself included. I'm not sure where you're getting your information. 
I recall people saying they wouldn't take the Trump's administration's word that a new vaccine was safe and effective until the FDA approved it.   The concern was that something would get rushed so it was available before the election

I was certainly no fan of Trump, but after spending a year losing family members to this virus and waking up every day in fear of my long-term health, there was no ####ing way I was going to refuse the vaccine just to spite him. (Related: When my dad was in the ICU very early on during the pandemic, I asked multiple doctors about the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine. If they had recommended it, I wouldn't have cared whether it was endorsed by Satan himself; I just wanted whatever would give him the best chance of surviving. As it happened, none of them said it was an effective treatment.)

Can you find some of that rhetoric for me?  Specifically, can you find the actual rhetoric, not what Fox News (et.al.) said it was?  Because I tend to find that it's similar to this situation, where what Kamala Harris actually said is wildly different than what those on the right say she said.

I recall people saying they wouldn't take the Trump's administration's word that a new vaccine was safe and effective until the FDA approved it.   The concern was that something would get rushed so it was available before the election
Incidentally, the person most responsible for pushing the conspiracy theory that Trump was pressuring the FDA to approve the vaccine before the election was ... Donald Trump.

How so? I'm not denying this was happening,  but I don't remember it.
Couple videos here...

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/07/18/im-not-taking-it-joe-biden-kamala-harris-led-covid-vaccine-skepticism-parade-before-election-1105376/

Aug. 2020 Yahoo News Interview

In a Yahoo News interview that August, Biden predicted, “If and when the vaccine comes, it’s not likely to go through all the tests … and trials that are needed to be done.”

Sept. 2020 Orlando Station WKMG Interview

In this interview in September of 2020, Biden outright suggested it would be unsafe to take a coronavirus vaccine shot because then-President Donald Trump “continues to mislead and lie.’

“An enormous pressure put on the CDC not to put out the detailed guidelines. Enormous pressure being put on the FDA to say the following protocol will have a giant impact on COVID. All these things turn out not to be true, and when a president continues to mislead and lie,” he said.

“When we finally do, God willing, get a vaccine, who’s going to take the shot? Who’s going to take the shot? Are you going to be the first one to say sign me up?”

July 2020 Delaware Campaign Event

At a campaign event in summer 2020, Biden questioned whether a vaccine produced by the Trump administration would even be “real.”

“The question of whether it’s real, when it’s there, that requires enormous transparency. You got to make all of it available to other experts across the nation, so they can look and see. So there’s consensus, this is a safe vaccine,” he said.

“Because already you have, what percent is American people saying if the vaccine were there tomorrow, they wouldn’t take it? And it’s not the usual anti-vaccine crowd it’s beyond that because people are losing faith in what the president says. Think about it.”

Sept. 2020 AFL-CIO Virtual Event

During a virtual union event in September of 2020, Biden was asked if he’d take the vaccine if it were announced the day after. He replied that he would, but only if certain stipulations were met.

“Only if it was completely transparent, that other experts in the country could look at it. Only if we knew all of what went into it, because so far nothing he’s told us has been true,” he said, referencing to then-President Trump.

Can you find some of that rhetoric for me?  Specifically, can you find the actual rhetoric, not what Fox News (et.al.) said it was?  Because I tend to find that it's similar to this situation, where what Kamala Harris actually said is wildly different than what those on the right say she said.
I linked some video clips and left Kamala out. 

But your point ties back in to the distrust of the MSM.  They air those clips in a way that portrays the angle they want it to.  Both sides do it.  MSM isn't guilt-free either when it comes to vaccine hesitancy.  Heck they might be the lead culprit.

Is any of that untrue, though?  To me, all of that boiled down to "the administration, federal government, and all agencies involved need to be transparent and release all the available data".  That seems like a good thing.
Are you saying the vaccines didn't go through all the testing that needs to be done?  Was that testing not needed anyway?

Are you saying the vaccines didn't go through all the testing that needs to be done?  Was that testing not needed anyway?
No, I'm not saying that.  I'm saying that Biden was being quite clear that the federal government would need to be open and transparent about the process of vaccine approvals before people should trust it.  Again, that seems like a good thing.

I think I posted in the FFA thread back when Trump was president that I’d be first in line to get the vaccine as soon as it’s available. Not everyone sees every issue as a political one, nor do they base their personal health decisions on who is president at the time. 

I think I posted in the FFA thread back when Trump was president that I’d be first in line to get the vaccine as soon as it’s available. Not everyone sees every issue as a political one, nor do they base their personal health decisions on who is president at the time. 
This is the most baffling part IMO. 

No, I'm not saying that.  I'm saying that Biden was being quite clear that the federal government would need to be open and transparent about the process of vaccine approvals before people should trust it.  Again, that seems like a good thing.

Quoting..

“If and when the vaccine comes, it’s not likely to go through all the tests … and trials that are needed to be done.”

You said nothing Biden said was untrue.  So I'm asking for clarification. The vaccines did go through all the normal tests and trials they needed to for approval?

Quoting..

“If and when the vaccine comes, it’s not likely to go through all the tests … and trials that are needed to be done.”

You said nothing Biden said was untrue.  So I'm asking for clarification. The vaccines did go through all the normal tests and trials they needed to for approval?
I notice you've now latched on to that one and ignored the other three you originally posted.  Yes, that one statement from Biden appears problematic on its face, although I notice that what is quoted is incomplete.  It would be nice to see what was sniped by the ...

“Because already you have, what percent is American people saying if the vaccine were there tomorrow, they wouldn’t take it? And it’s not the usual anti-vaccine crowd it’s beyond that because people are losing faith in what the president says. Think about it.”

I have zero faith in Biden and this administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread