What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (13 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't wish anybody death. I don't talk about crying at funerals or not. It's gauche. But the implied argument behind this post is problematic and fallacious. This situation should not be framed this way, and it's an embarrassment to those arguing for their individual rights vis a vis the vaccine to imply a causation here.

Just bupkis.
What causation?  That he may have died from complications from the vaccine?

It's highly unlikely that he did so. And cherry-picking one case out of millions doesn't bolster any argument, even if this was caused by the vaccine, which is unlikely as heck.
Yeah you’re right.  I wasn’t in a good frame of mind when I posted that article.  I’ll delete it.  Apologies to the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you’re right.  I wasn’t in a good frame of mind when I posted that article.  I’ll delete it.  Apologies to the board.
I would never ask or imply that you do that. We have a disagreement. That's all, ekbeats. I like your contributions to the board and hope that you feel free to post things and that I may feel free to disagree vehemently with them. It's all good, man.

I would never ask or imply that you do that. We have a disagreement. That's all, ekbeats. I like your contributions to the board and hope that you feel free to post things and that I may feel free to disagree vehemently with them. It's all good, man.
Thanks rock.  You’re one of the people in here I respect the most and you were absolutely right on that one.  I’m big enough to admit when I f$&@ up. 👍

By the way - for the record I am not an anti-vaxer by any means.  I just wish some in the medical community would be a little more “scientific” and dispassionate about the subject, that’s all.

Thanks rock.  You’re one of the people in here I respect the most and you were absolutely right on that one.  I’m big enough to admit when I f$&@ up. 👍
Thanks, ekbeats. I always read your posts with interest when I'm in here. It's nice to have a conservative perspective on things.

Awful all around.  This certainly doesn't absolve the CDC from their incompetence.  We all remember the CDC complete screwing up the COVID test early on.  That was the first big brick that led to the US leading the world in infections for a while.
What is fairly ironic is the miscalculation the Trump team made.  If he had embraced the “war on Covid” and either taken it a little more serious or just stayed out of the way he would probably be President right now.

By the way - for the record I am not an anti-vaxer by any means.  I just wish some in the medical community would be a little more “scientific” and dispassionate about the subject, that’s all.
I suspect some of those healthcare workers are a bit peeved about risking their lives for a year taking care of people hoping for one of the greatest scientific achievements in history, only to have 30% of those people refuse it.

I think the science overwhelmingly shows the vaccine is safe and effective.  Me telling you to get the vaccine is being scientific about it.  It's fact driven.  I don't tell you to inject kool aid, because it perhaps it will work.  I don't have any data on Kool aid.  I have a metric crap ton of data on the vaccines.  People have this delusion that the vaccine represents some huge risk--while not taking the shot and hoping you don't get the virus represents less risk.  That's factually incorrect.  

If you don't want the dang thing, don't take it.  Just please, stay home when you're on death's door.  If you don't trust health care workers to prevent the disease, don't ask them to save you when you didn't listen to them the first time.  I'm sick of telling your husbands, wifes, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters etc. that you're going to die while that shot that "hasn't been studied long enough" would have prevented your death and their heart ache.  

A lot of protests over the vax mandates. Don't think they're all MAGA.
Some people just hate the idea of being told to do something. I’ve been surprised by the comments some people have made. From a nurse working at a free clinic helping my with give vaccines. She started off my complaining and not understanding why some healthcare workers won’t get the vaccine. Then she shifted to it being ridiculous to have a mandate for health care workers. Knowing that her hospital has a long-standing flu shot mandate, I asked her about it. She said that was different but couldn’t explain why. People are weird.

Some people just hate the idea of being told to do something. I’ve been surprised by the comments some people have made. From a nurse working at a free clinic helping my with give vaccines. She started off my complaining and not understanding why some healthcare workers won’t get the vaccine. Then she shifted to it being ridiculous to have a mandate for health care workers. Knowing that her hospital has a long-standing flu shot mandate, I asked her about it. She said that was different but couldn’t explain why. People are weird.
There is nothing wrong with this position.

I dont understand anti vaxxers at all. I dont think they should be mandated to get the shot at all either. It is not the same as being told to be on time to work. Or the speed limit, etc. 

In addition anything that could cause there to be less healthcare workers is obviously a debatable policy right now. (It could be a policy that leads to more available healthcare workers based on percentage sick or quarantined but that isnt settled yet).

I have a problem with that article

#1 a President should stop mass panicking

#2 when they say "But scientists at the CDC, well aware that the virus was transmitting at a high rate and could infect easily" ........... that's a flat out lie. Even at this point, today, we've only had what, 15% of this country with covid (45 million) ? That's not high rate and easily infected ... heck H1N1 had 62 million known sick and nobody tested for it !  So they need to stop spreading that lie

#3 they want to talk about changing the testing and counting? LOL - that's what Biden did !

geeeessh what a piece !

we won't know how safe or effective until years from now - 
We actually do.  Tons of safety data.  Tons of efficacy data.

We won't know how safe or effective the virus is until years from now, but ya'll willing to take your chances with that.

We actually do.  Tons of safety data.  Tons of efficacy data.

We won't know how safe or effective the virus is until years from now, but ya'll willing to take your chances with that.

what % of measles vaccines are breakthrough ? chickenpox  breakthrough ? 10%? 15% ?

covid ?

effective is a relative term - these shots are not equivalent in many ways to traditional vaccines 

the words safety and tons and data .... we had all those for other things like DDT, asbestos, roundup, fenfen and many other things that was only years later to be found harmful .... and because of that nobody can honestly say these covid shots are safe

yes, if my company hadn't pressured me, with my age/health I had a hundredths of a percent of a chance at a bad covid infection ... I'd have taken my chances with that yes, its my body, my choice

What would your guess be as to what % is MAGA?   How about if I asked what % is from the right
Good question. No idea but when I see huge protests in NY and CA I can't help but think there's at least some blue in there. Just odd when I see some of the comments in here directed at "trumpers" and then see blue cities in blue states out.

What would your guess be as to what % is MAGA?   How about if I asked what % is from the right
Good question. No idea but when I see huge protests in NY and CA I can't help but think there's at least some blue in there. Just odd when I see some of the comments in here directed at "trumpers" and then see blue cities in blue states out.
Also there are a lot of worldwide protests against mandates and passports. Probably very few people marching in Perth give 2 sh##s about MAGA.

I think the science overwhelmingly shows the vaccine is safe and effective.  Me telling you to get the vaccine is being scientific about it.  It's fact driven.  I don't tell you to inject kool aid, because it perhaps it will work.  I don't have any data on Kool aid.  I have a metric crap ton of data on the vaccines.  People have this delusion that the vaccine represents some huge risk--while not taking the shot and hoping you don't get the virus represents less risk.  That's factually incorrect.  

If you don't want the dang thing, don't take it.  Just please, stay home when you're on death's door.  If you don't trust health care workers to prevent the disease, don't ask them to save you when you didn't listen to them the first time.  I'm sick of telling your husbands, wifes, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters etc. that you're going to die while that shot that "hasn't been studied long enough" would have prevented your death and their heart ache.  
I don’t get it either.  The vaccine is a gift from God as far as I’m concerned.

Are you all ready to get your boosters to keep your jobs?
Are continual boosters a healthy thing?  Do we know if taking booster after booster will be tolerated by humans or if this will lead to increased pace of variants?

I ask out of ignorance.

Are continual boosters a healthy thing?  Do we know if taking booster after booster will be tolerated by humans or if this will lead to increased pace of variants?

I ask out of ignorance.
To mutate to the point of evading "mRNA trained" SARS-CoV-2 antibodies, a variant would have to produce a wholly different spike protein on its surface. This particular variant, so formed, would not longer be SARS-CoV-2 and -- having lost the "key" to the ACE2 receptor's "lock" -- would with almost 100% certainty no longer be an infectious pathogen.

Inviting input from @Terminalxylem, @gianmarco, and @growlers. And any other medical folks I'm forgetting.

I ask out of ignorance.
It's hard to say we "Know" anything for certain at this point.  Sometimes it seems like we pretend we do, only to be proven wrong over time. Everyone has a unique cost/benefit analysis, which is part of the reason people hate the mandates.  

IMHO blanket mandating a booster would be catastrophic. 

@Sand, this is a good layman's article about the structure of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, complete with images of the spike structure with the different sections mapped and named. The article also describes how a mutation in the spike protein can make the spike more robust so long as that mutation does not change the overall shape of the spike. Note that the article is from March 2021 and predates the spread of Delta -- though the same "spike-protein improvement" principles laid out in the article go for Delta as well.

I ask out of ignorance.
First two parts we don't know.  This last part we know isn't a thing.  Boosters would be necessary for as long as the virus rages on.  Vaccines get in big trouble if the spike protein changes in some meaningful way, but if that happens, it likely is the mutation that kills the virus off not produces a "new and improved" virus that is immune to vaccines.  Those are the odds anyway.....by a considerable margin.

Are continual boosters a healthy thing?  Do we know if taking booster after booster will be tolerated by humans ...
Something to consider here is that humans are constantly getting inadvertent "booster" infections of various rhinoviruses, adenoviruses, influenza, etc. that we've had in the past. Each time our bodies' immune systems respond, and 999 times out of a 1,000, we aren't even aware of these immune responses. They're background noise in our bodies' overall function.

Getting appropriately-dosed boosters of a vaccine is no different.

if Biden tells me to weak yellow to stop covid I'm doing it

jump in cold water every morning? eat moldy cheese? dance in a counterclockwise motion ?

whatever Biden says, I'm in !

no - I'm not getting a booster or another shot being forced on me ever again

Awful all around.  This certainly doesn't absolve the CDC from their incompetence.  We all remember the CDC complete screwing up the COVID test early on.  That was the first big brick that led to the US leading the world in infections for a while.
Yeah, this isn't about absolving the CDC, this is about a monkey who tried to hide valuable public health information from the people who elected him to protect them. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread