What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decreased CDC funding, gutted CDC staff and displayed ignorance of virus and downplayed severity of its effect and a nonbelief in science. Trump is so in over his head.

Bullying and intimidation doesn't work on a virus just Republican Senators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drink lots of water, stay in the AC if you can and if outside frequently reapply sunscreen. 

GoBirds said:
Yeah you regular complainers clearly have a handle on this....some things never change. 
The U.S. State Department overruled the advice of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), choosing to bring 14 Americans who were infected with the new coronavirus back from Japan, according to the Washington Post. The new report raises serious questions about the U.S. government’s decisions at a time when the coronavirus, which causes an illness called Covid-19, threatens to become a global pandemic.

The American evacuees were passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise, which has been quarantined in Yokohama, Japan since February 5. Over 600 of the 3,700 passengers from the Diamond Princess have tested positive for the virus, and it was announced yesterday that two Japanese passengers in their 80s recently died. The U.S. chartered two Boeing 747 planes to bring Americans from the cruise ship to military bases in California and Texas where they’re being quarantined for 14 days.

One of the U.S. State Department’s evacuation planes was loaded with 328 Americans on Monday when new lab results came back showing that 14 of the passengers had tested positive for the coronavirus. The CDC’s principal deputy director, Anne Schuchat, recommended that the 14 passengers be taken off the plane and receive medical attention in Japan. But Trump officials like Robert Kadlec, assistant secretary for preparedness and response at HHS, disagreed with the CDC, according to the Washington Post.

Kadlec, who previously worked as a special assistant to President George W. Bush and serves as a member of the Trump regime’s coronavirus task force, reportedly argued that the planes that had been chartered by the government contained seats which could be cordoned off for any infected passengers. This news wasn’t shared with the other healthy passengers on the flight, many of whom only learned about flying with infected passengers after they landed in the U.S. and saw news reports.

==

I imagine if you were one of the healthy passengers you wouldn't have complained at all.  Maybe if the people making decisions listened to experts in the field of the topic they are dealing with instead of overriding them consistently we wouldn't need to complain so much.

LOL, I read the first sentence of the first link and its all I needed.

The fear is not from legal immigrants about being deported, it's a fear that their information will be used to have illegal immigrants deported.

The number of legal immigrants from Latin American nations who access public health services and enroll in federally subsidized insurance plans has dipped substantially since President Donald Trump took office, many of them fearing their information could be used to identify and deport relatives living in the U.S. illegally,

LOL, I read the first sentence of the first link and its all I needed.

The fear is not from legal immigrants about being deported, it's a fear that their information will be used to have illegal immigrants deported.

The number of legal immigrants from Latin American nations who access public health services and enroll in federally subsidized insurance plans has dipped substantially since President Donald Trump took office, many of them fearing their information could be used to identify and deport relatives living in the U.S. illegally,
I recommend reading them all, including the study.  Taking a single sentence from one of literally hundreds of options seems a tad short sighted (if not flat out disingenuous) if one is looking to educate themselves on the topic :shrug:  

I recommend reading them all, including the study.  Taking a single sentence from one of literally hundreds of options seems a tad short sighted (if not flat out disingenuous) if one is looking to educate themselves on the topic :shrug:  
I'm well informed on the subject your questionable links not withstanding.

Nothing you linked shows that legal immigrants are avoiding health care for fear of being deported

Amused to Death said:
The whistleblower is seeking federal protection because she alleges she was unfairly and improperly reassigned after raising concerns about the safety of these workers to HHS officials, including those within the office of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar. She was told Feb. 19 that if she does not accept the new position in 15 days, which is March 5, she would be terminated.

The whistleblower has decades of experience in the field, received two HHS department awards from Azar last year, and has received the highest performance evaluations, her lawyers said.
The problem is the administration is constantly suppressing public information. That's what whistleblower statutes and process are created for. 

Nothing you linked shows that legal immigrants are avoiding health care for fear of being deported
I think you’re still missing the point. 

If illegal immigrants are scared to be tested because they fear deportation, then that presents us with a public health risk. That is one of the main problems with President Trump’s draconian policies against illegal immigrants. And it’s yet another reason why the wisest thing we can do as a society is give most of these people legal status and a path to citizenship. 

as I said, not just legal immigrants
Right and that was the original point, perceptions of legal and illegal immigrants were similar. That’s what that study looks at.
So we've chased this far enough down the rabbit hole to determine I was correct in using "immigrants" instead of "undocumented immigrants". Seems all immigrants mistrust this administration.

So we've chased this far enough down the rabbit hole to determine I was correct in using "immigrants" instead of "undocumented immigrants". Seems all immigrants mistrust this administration.
LOL, not even close
No one should trust this administration!
Exhibit A is what they're reportedly doing to an expert with decades of experience. No one goes against the Party without consequence.

F politics, it's time to solve this thing by getting vaccines developed, tested and get the news out on that front. Trump and Pence aren't going to have anything to do with that, ultimately, so F what they're doing anyway.

Kaitlan Collins @kaitlancollins

Mulvaney is saying that the press is now covering Coronavirus because "they think this will bring down the president. That’s what it’s all about."

Mick Mulvaney sent a government-wide email yesterday saying all coronavirus-related comms must go through Pence’s press secretary Katie Miller, according to two people familiar with the email.

F politics, it's time to solve this thing by getting vaccines developed, tested and get the news out on that front. Trump and Pence aren't going to have anything to do with that, ultimately, so F what they're doing anyway.
If only it were that simple.

Getting the actual news out to the public might be almost as important as a vaccine.

We need leadership to guide us until a vaccine is made.

For posterity:

Trumps approval +/- polling average had improved to (-7.5%) on February 20th.  That was the best it had been in three years.

It's slightly worse now, basically back at the very bottom of the range it's been for the last couple years, (-9.1%).

It sure will speed up the response to send all info out through one person! Guaranteed!
This should be really simple.  Tell the truth and give the people who know what needs to happen the support they need and ask for.  Work with them on any public statements that get made.

It's good policy and you won't lose a single vote if you do it like that.  The only people who are going to blame you wouldn't have voted for you anyway.

But this?  It's terrible policy and terrible politics.

Kaitlan Collins @kaitlancollins

Mulvaney is saying that the press is now covering Coronavirus because "they think this will bring down the president. That’s what it’s all about."

Mick Mulvaney sent a government-wide email yesterday saying all coronavirus-related comms must go through Pence’s press secretary Katie Miller, according to two people familiar with the email.
The press cover things that are happening all the time Mick.  Get over it.  There's going to be actual reporting when things happen.

If only it were that simple.

Getting the actual news out to the public might be almost as important as a vaccine.

We need leadership to guide us until a vaccine is made.
Great post.   The administration certainly does have a role in keeping us safe.  

Skoo said:
“It looks like the coronavirus is being weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump. Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus. … Yeah, I’m dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.

-Rush Limbaugh

...and people expect me to have sympathy for this guy. Just can't do it.
Deplorable is as deplorable does. And I include Don Jr. in this statement as well.

I think you’re still missing the point. 

If illegal immigrants are scared to be tested because they fear deportation, then that presents us with a public health risk. That is one of the main problems with President Trump’s draconian policies against illegal immigrants. And it’s yet another reason why the wisest thing we can do as a society is give most of these people legal status and a path to citizenship. 
If illegal immigrants are a public health risk, the problem is with the illegal immigrants, not the President.

If illegal immigrants are a public health risk, the problem is with the illegal immigrants, not the President.
There are 10-14 million illegal immigrants in this country. You want to blame them for being a public health risk go ahead. You want to try and deport them all? Be my guest and try. 

When you’re ready to move on from rhetoric and try to come up with practical solutions then we can talk. 

Yes, its always important to assign proper blame just before the pandemic outbreak. Well done.
At some point maybe we can even assign blame to the poor and the uninsured for not seeking proper medical attention. Or are we going to use SOCIALIZED MEDICINE to help everyone?

Yes, its always important to assign proper blame just before the pandemic outbreak. Well done.
At some point maybe we can even assign blame to the poor and the uninsured for not seeking proper medical attention. Or are we going to use SOCIALIZED MEDICINE to help everyone?
Problem is, even if they do seek medical attention, there will not be an accurate test available to check if they have Covid-19.  So, they'll get treated for symptoms and sent on their way.  If no one knows who has it, I guess we can still claim there are only 60 cases in the US, all of which are accounted for.

Decreased CDC funding, gutted CDC staff and displayed ignorance of virus and downplayed severity of its effect and a nonbelief in science. Trump is so in over his head.

Bullying and intimidation doesn't work on a virus just Republican Senators.
Trump’s proposed CDC cuts never went into effect.  There have been no CDC cuts.

I think a lot of you are getting your information from the same bad source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread