What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Justin Jefferson, MIN (1 Viewer)

Deamon said:
uhhh... what? 

You think he's a top 30 fantasy WR at minimum right away?!
I see a QB who is going to throw for at least 3600 yards and 25 TDs +.  I see one stud receiver.  But it seems likely to me that after Theilein and Cook, Jefferson is the third most targeted receiver. Unless he is a bust, it is hard to see him not getting at least 70/800/5. Who else is going to catch the ball for MN?  

Well, I'm now an owner. The top five RBs and Lamb went off the board in  front of me so was faced with a tough choice of the rest. Went with Jefferson due to his all round game and the situation he has landed in where he has a direct route to get on the field immediately

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm now an owner. The top five RBs and Lamb went off the board in  front of me so was faced with a tough choice of the rest. Went with Jefferson due to his all round game and the situation he has landed in where he has a direct route to get on the field immediately
I'd have done the same. I'm high on Jefferson. He seems pro-ready and landed in a steady offense. There's an immediate opportunity for targets with an established WR1 to keep the heat off. Thielen is at the tail end of his prime so Jefferson should be able to ease into the WR1 role there.

It does. I'm really excited I was able to get him at 1.12 twice.
I'm praying that he falls that far but I don't think the guys in my league are going to allow that to happen as I sit 1.10 waiting getting my hopes up only to see it crushed by my arch enemy who's picking one spot ahead of me.

Tex

I think this time next year, Jefferson is the most valuable WR from this class.  Keep seeing jack of all trades, master of none in a bunch of places...I just see a versatile receiver ready to produce from the jump.  

Landing spot is sneaky good.  Cousins LOVES throwing intermediate between the hashmarks.  The perception is they are too run heavy to support Thielan and Jefferson, but i see a funnel offense that has three main weapons.  IMO Vikings are one of the most straight forward blueprints to fantasy points in the league.  

I made a pretty crazy trade in one league to snag him.  Very happy to have landed him in two others at a more palatable cost.

I think this time next year, Jefferson is the most valuable WR from this class.  Keep seeing jack of all trades, master of none in a bunch of places...I just see a versatile receiver ready to produce from the jump.  

Landing spot is sneaky good.  Cousins LOVES throwing intermediate between the hashmarks.  The perception is they are too run heavy to support Thielan and Jefferson, but i see a funnel offense that has three main weapons.  IMO Vikings are one of the most straight forward blueprints to fantasy points in the league.  

I made a pretty crazy trade in one league to snag him.  Very happy to have landed him in two others at a more palatable cost.
I don’t disagree and think he is a great value in the back half of the first round in rookie drafts. The only curiosity I have is how much time will he man the slot as that is where he did his damage in college.

I don’t disagree and think he is a great value in the back half of the first round in rookie drafts. The only curiosity I have is how much time will he man the slot as that is where he did his damage in college.
I'd like to hear from someone that has watched more of him and of LSU in general, but I thought I had heard that he played successfully out wide earlier in his college career and *then* started dominating the slot. The argument being that he can play anywhere and that they moved him to slot to accommodate other WRs coming up who needed to go outside. I've seen other blurbs that talked about how he is being mislabeled as just a slot guy. 

I wouldn't know one way or the other, but when I hear about how elite of a route runner he is, and that he played all positions, and then he outperformed expectations at the combine, and then goes 1st round to a team with an immediate need, I gotta say he is my number 1 WR in this class. I said it already but now that I actually drafted him I am doubling down on that. Minnesota may not pass a lot, but I don't see Thielen as a barrier to Jefferson ascending to the number 1 *this year*, unless he busts in this abridged coronavirus season, which is my biggest hesitation (in redraft). Otherwise I really think this is a 1a/1b situation from week 1 and either one of the two of them will be the 1A on a given gameday (in front of empty stadiums). 

I absolutely hate the landing spot for Lamb and Jeudy, from a fantasy standpoint. In best ball the Broncos and Cowboys are probably great stacks to have. I'm not going to wait for them to move Cooper or Gallup or whatever scenario it is people think makes him worth waiting on. I really like what the Broncos offense might be turning into, obviously it hinges on Lock, but I can see it. I think Fant and Sutton will eat a lot more than Jeudy believers realize, and they're not going anywhere most likely. 

I'd like to hear from someone that has watched more of him and of LSU in general, but I thought I had heard that he played successfully out wide earlier in his college career and *then* started dominating the slot. The argument being that he can play anywhere and that they moved him to slot to accommodate other WRs coming up who needed to go outside. I've seen other blurbs that talked about how he is being mislabeled as just a slot guy. 
I'm an LSU fan so happy to chime in on this part. Jefferson led the team in receiving in 2018 (54-875-6) and then was moved to the slot for 2019. Terrance Marshall (a 5-star recruit in 2017) took the outside spot opposite Chase. It looks like SI did an article just last week that includes some analysis on Jefferson as capable of being an outside receiver. That would jibe with him leading the team in receiving in 2018. I wrote about this in more detail in the Burrow thread, but the context for LSU's dramatic offensive improvement is important. Les Miles was fired because he refused to modernize the offense. In 2018 Steve Ensminger was promoted to OC and ran a similarly conservative/antiquated offense (Ensminger was the TEs coach under Miles). After we scored zero points agains Alabama, Orgeron made the move to get Brady and then we saw the fireworks. Long way of saying that going 54-875-6 from the outside in that 2018 offense is better than it looks on paper. Getting replaced outside by a 5-star player also isn't anything to ding him over. It seems clear that Brady saw Jefferson as especially dangerous out of the slot, and it worked, but I think he has a pretty well rounded game.

I'm praying that he falls that far but I don't think the guys in my league are going to allow that to happen as I sit 1.10 waiting getting my hopes up only to see it crushed by my arch enemy who's picking one spot ahead of me.

Tex
Yeah looking for him or Reagor at 1.10. If they’re both gone, might have to settle for Ruggs. 

Adam Thielen missed basically 8 games last year and the number of passing attempts was lower than I think it otherwise would be with him healthy.

It has already been covered by DAGs post about Jefferson earlier on in the thread. Jefferson is NOT exclusively a slot WR. He can play in all downs and formations.He will be the Vikings WR two in 2020 and I would expect him to play on 70% or more of their offensive snaps regardless of how infrequently they may play 3 WR.

As far as that goes Adam Thielen has been more effective from the slot than he has playing outside. Does this really matter when the guy is catching 100 balls?

The slot WR has more field to work with than a guy who lines up outside. Look at the Saints Michael Thomas, mostly a slot receiver. No small coincidence that the LSU coach came from the Saints and utilized Jefferson as their primary WR even though almost all of his snaps he played the slot. The slot is the number one WR in this offense.

Even though the Vikings will play more 2 TE formations, that does not mean that Irv Smith or Kyle Rudolph won't line up outside allowing Thielen or Jefferson to operate from the slot.

Are people still using slot responsibilities as some sort of negative against a receiver for fantasy purposes?  I WANT my guy to get some slot duties.  You get a nickle corner and the whole field is open.  

If I had to bet on who the most valuable rookie WR is this time next year, I'd put 85% of my money on Jefferson.  Cousins is going to latch like a newborn baby.

Vandelay said:
Are people still using slot responsibilities as some sort of negative against a receiver for fantasy purposes?  I WANT my guy to get some slot duties.  You get a nickle corner and the whole field is open.  

If I had to bet on who the most valuable rookie WR is this time next year, I'd put 85% of my money on Jefferson.  Cousins is going to latch like a newborn baby.
I find myself disagreeing with you often and this is no exception. I’d 100% take the field in this scenario

Speaking Wednesday, Vikings OC Gary Kubiak said first-round WR Justin Jefferson will "move inside [to the slot] quite a bit."

Bisi Johnson was the Vikings' lightly-used slot wideout last season, kicking inside 38.2% of the time, but Adam Thielen was also inside quite a bit at a 32% clip. Jefferson was LSU's full-time slot man in 2019, running 78% of his routes inside, showing incredible route-running ability and reliable hands while winning on crossers, ins, and outs. With Jefferson in the fold, it likely means Thielen will be playing outside more with Stefon Diggs now out of town. The Vikings still figure to primarily use two-wide, two-TE, and two-RB sets as their base offense.

SOURCE: Chad Graff on Twitter

Jun 17, 2020, 12:55 PM ET

Vikings signed first-round WR Justin Jefferson to a four-year $13.122 million contract.

Jefferson was selected with the first-round pick the Vikings received from the Bills in the Stefon Diggs trade. With 110 available targets heading into the season, there is plenty of opportunity for Jefferson to emerge as the best pass catcher opposite Adam Thielen on the roster, since his main competition features Tajae Sharpe and Bisi Johnson. Jefferson dominated out of the slot last season at LSU, where 90 percent of his snaps and receptions originated from. Yet the Vikings ran 11 personnel, three reciever sets, at the lowest rate in the NFL last season, just 25 percent of the time. Therefore, Jefferson might be asked to win as an outside pass catcher during his rookie season, unless Gary Kubiak shifts the Vikings' style.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Jul 22, 2020, 11:20 AM ET

Good.  Now, he won’t miss any games during the season for a virus that is zero threat to young professional athletes who are in top physical condition. 👍

Vikings offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak said Justin Jefferson is "exactly what we drafted."

Andrew Krammer added that Jefferson was "running with the 2's for now" but Kubiak's comments indicate Jefferson should have no problem becoming a starter. The Vikings drafted Jefferson with the No. 22 overall pick they acquired by trading Stefon Diggs to the Bills. Jefferson is expected to see a lot of work from the slot in his rookie season. He played in the slot for 90 percent of his snaps at LSU last year and set the school record for receptions (111). Jefferson's biggest competition for the job could be Olabisi Johnson, who played a third of his snaps from the slot in Minnesota last year. He recorded 294 yards over 13 games.

SOURCE: Andrew Krammer on Twitter

Aug 16, 2020, 2:48 PM ET

The Athletic's Chad Graff reports Vikings rookie WR Justin Jefferson is "the clear No. 3 option" behind Adam Thielen and Bisi Johnson at practice.

Initial expectations were Jefferson would open the year across from Thielen as the team's No. 2 receiver, but the No. 22 overall pick reportedly "hasn’t shined against the second-team defense quite as much as you’d expect." That's obviously notable since the Vikings utilized the second-highest rate of 12 personnel (one running back, two tight ends) as their base offense last year and are fully expected to continue that approach with Gary Kubiak engineering play-calling duties. Jefferson is clearly being overvalued at his current ADP as the WR53 if he opens the year as Minnesota's third receiver.

SOURCE: Chad Graff on Twitter

Aug 21, 2020, 9:51 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread