What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A story I'd rather not tell... (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I debated actually putting this story up here because it reveals more about me than I probably want known.  As a warning, this story probably won't be that funny.  So if you're looking for humor, be forewarned.  It is me being honest an vulnerable, so go a little easy.  Shtick is always welcome.

About two weeks ago, my idiot boss and I get into it again.  I know he's been trying to set traps for me and I'd been doing a great job of navigating through the mine filed.  But I slipped and replied in an email something I shouldn't have.  Nothing major, but still not good.  That was a Friday.  The following Monday, he doesn't talk to me all day.  And just as I'm about to leave, he asks me if I can come into a conference room with him.  When I go in, I see there's an HR lady in the room, too.  My first thought is, "Crap.  I'm being fired."  But then I remember that he sent me an invite to meet with him on Wednesday of that week.  So I'm confident I'm just getting in trouble.

The HR lady, who I do not know, pulls out papers and puts them in front of me like I'm in an interrogation room at a police station.  I can see they look like phone records.  He says that I was supposed to talk to people in the field and get some feedback from them.  But he can see from my cell phone records that I haven't called anyone.  The weird thing here, is I already have results from this and have moved this project along ahead of schedule.   I look at them confused and say, "I use my personal cell."  I have an iPhone and they gave me a Galaxy.  I'm an old man and I don't feel like learning a new OS.  So I just set everything up on my personal phone.  Again, it's important to point out that I have proven results that show I've called people and moved forward on the project, but he is concerned with how I'm doing it.  The HR lady than says angrily, "You used your personal cell?  You're supposed to use the cellphone we gave you.  That's insubordination."  

At this point, I can tell she is not impartial.  Also, I find it hard to believe you can get in trouble for not using a work phone.  I feel like you can get in trouble for using your work phone instead of your personal, but not the other way around.  But I don't know for sure so I just say, "OK."

He then begins to accuse me of several things that are not true, but because I messed up, he's basing everything around that one truth.  I plead my case back making sure I counter all of his lies, even saying I can show proof his claims aren't true.  But again, the HR lady seems to be arguing with me on points she doesn't know any facts about.  It's clearly a 2 on 1 situation.  Then, out of no where, she says, "Do you even like working for this company?"  It was such an odd question, it literally stopped me in my tracks.  As I began to speak, she cut me off and said it again.  "Do you even like working here?  Because I have to tell you, it doesn't seem that way to me.  I've walked by your desk and said hi to you and you don't even respond back.  I've never seen you walk over to our side of the building and say hi to anyone over there."  She then says, "Do you have some sort of problem where you can't seem to talk to people and be friendly with them?"

I was in shock.  This isn't why I was in here.  I wasn't in trouble for not being friendly.  There was no reason for this line of questioning.  I looked at her and I had to tell her something I'd never told any other employer.  Hell, I've only told about a dozen people in my life (up until this post):  I said, "I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was a young kid and I am on the spectrum of Autism.  Meeting people and talking with them is one of the hardest things in life for me."  As I said this, I heard my boss say, "Uh-oh" like he was genuinely shocked and didn't realize he made a noise.  Her face changed immediately, too, and she became much nicer.  

The meeting ended abruptly after that and I left to go home.  I was pissed, embarrassed, and sad.  I told my wife and she was just pissed.  I didn't sleep at all that night and I thought about calling in sick the next day.  But my wife said I needed to go in and notify the head of HR what just happened.  

I set up a meeting with the VP of HR the next day, who I am friendly with.  She was very nice to me and explained that it was all just a misunderstanding and that no one outside of those three people would ever know.  Thing is, it wasn't a misunderstanding.  The woman overplayed her hand and it came back on her.  The VP also apologized for what happened and said that my boss was willing to work with me to better our relationship.

So, in a way, things ended up working out in my favor.  He's been super nice to me, but he also treats me like I'm a special ed kid.  He sent me an email that said, "Don't ever be embarrassed for who you are."  I was like, #####, I'm not embarrassed of who I am.  I embarrassed I had to announce it to people who had no reason to question me about it.

My wife is still pissed.  She keeps saying I should maybe talk to a lawyer.  But I don't want to talk about it with other people.  I hate even talking about it here.  I've already deleted this post 5 times.  And I'll probably regret hitting send when I do.  But whatever.  I'm interested to hear what people think.

On one side, there's pretty much no way I ever get let go from this job.  All of my past indiscretions have essentially been wiped clean and my boss now treats me much better, even though I still don't like him.  

I also know they said they'd never tell anyone other than those three, but I almost feel like they have to tell some higher ups.  Because I'm sure right now they don't want any bigwigs to accidentally to discipline me for whatever reason.  Regardless, I feel like everyone I talk to knows, even if they don't.

It's been a rough past 10 days for me.

Shieky baby, you're alright with me pal.  Have many friends asbergers, and its just another station on the personality dial my man.  I know personality isn't the right term but for lack of a better one at the moment.  I also have a couple of cousins with autism so I'm aware of that too and I just try to engage on their playing field as much as I can, as opposed to mine.

It sucks you had that deal, as for your next steps, thats your call.  If you're a small company, and you like it and are comfortable, let it lie.  If you had a place where you'd actually get something out of suing, I'd consider it I guess as the whole pretext of the oppositional HR person is very spotty and crappy to me.   

I guess there's no harm in talking to a lawyer, I'm not sure how much they could do, I don't think Asbergers falls under any ADA protected statutes that I know of but keep your chin up man

:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shieky baby, you're alright with me pal.  Have many friends asbergers, and its just another station on the personality dial my man.  I know personality isn't the right term but for lack of a better one at the moment.  I also have a couple of cousins with autism so I'm aware of that too and I just try to engage on their playing field as much as I can, as opposed to mine.

It sucks you had that deal, as for your next steps, thats your call.  If you're a small company, and you like it and are comfortable, let it lie.  If you had a place where you'd actually get something out of suing, I'd consider it I guess as the whole pretext of the oppositional HR person is very spotty and crappy to me.   

I guess there's no harm in talking to a lawyer, I'm not sure how much they could do, I don't think Asbergers falls under any ADA protected statutes that I know of but keep your chin up man

:thumbup: the
Appreciate it.  Thing is, I found out at an early age and learned my own workarounds.  As I said, I don't tell people because I don't want them to act differently to me, and for the most part, I think I hide my shortcomings pretty well.  We all have tough things in life to deal with, this just happens to be mine.  

I honestly don't want to do the lawyer thing.  I'd imagine I'd have to leave this job to do anything to them.  And then that means I'd have to have another job.  It also risks getting that info out to more people.  At the same time, it bothers me that nothing happens to that lady for making me feel so horrible that day.  That's my biggest thing.  When I see her in the office now, it brings back a wave of anxiety.  All because she was upset I didn't say hi to her?  Ridiculous.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, GB. 

HIPA, if they do talk about it to higher ups then they are going to be up #### creek if that gets out.

shtick> it's Wednesday, I got none :shrug:

Appreciate it.  Thing is, I found out at an early age and learned my own workarounds.  As I said, I don't tell people because I don't want them to act differently to me, and for the most part, I think I hide my shortcomings pretty well.  We all have tough things in life to deal with, this just happens to be mine.  

I honestly don't want to do the lawyer thing.  I'd imagine I'd have to leave this job to do anything to them.  And then that means I'd have to have another job.  It also risks getting that info out to more people.  At the same time, it bothers me that nothing happens to that lady for making me feel so horrible that day.  That's my biggest thing.  When I see her in the office now, it brings back a wave of anxiety.  All because she was upset I didn't say hi to her?  Ridiculous.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, GB. 
I was just talking to some friends I went to school with about Asbergers and when I was young we just didn't have a name for it.  To be honest, it was a mix of, traditionally nerdy traits but a skill set you knew even in your youth, when you're less enlightened, would lead to undeniable success based on in most cases either a heightened or a more focused intellect.  

There are no accidents in this world, and I guess "normal" people for lack of a better term (who gets to define and decide normal anyway but thats a talk for another time) and on the spectrum folks need each other.  Or more simply, the introverts need the extroverts and vice versa, we all fit like a puzzle.  

So I don't even understand or relate to the least bit of self consciousness about your variable ( I don't even want to say condition).   But at the same time, I do get it and its ok.  But I don't think its much you have to worry about being out there.  I personally only think of people in the most positive light.  

Just keep doing what you do and it will move on in time, but I certainly get and understand it being a raw nerve at the moment.

That's a super strange conversation to have with IR regardless of the situation.  Bring you in to talk about performance problems that aren't real, and then pivot to you aren't friendly enough in the office?  That's cray-cray as the kids would say.

Being treated with kid gloves after making an admission like that has to be horrible as well, and a constant reminder of their perception of you.  I'm sorry for that.  Sounds like they need some education on your diagnosis.

I cant believe you now lied about having Autism!@#!@#!@#!

In all seriousness - we had a girl on my daughters team that I would assume be close to your situation.

If you didn't know you probably wouldn't be able to tell - just something was "a little different"....

But she would crack me up half the time because she has zero filter :lol:

Good luck gb...   around here if that meeting happens - they are already looking for a way to get rid of you....

And just as I'm about to leave, he asks me if I can come into a conference room with him.  When I go in, I see there's an HR lady in the room, too.  My first thought is, "Crap.  I'm being fired."  
I already have a plan in place for this sort of thing.  If I ever get pulled into a surprise meeting with my boss and somebody from HR, I'm going to blurt out "I'm an alcoholic and I need help" before anybody else gets a chance to say as much as hello.

"Do you even like working here?  Because I have to tell you, it doesn't seem that way to me.  I've walked by your desk and said hi to you and you don't even respond back.  I've never seen you walk over to our side of the building and say hi to anyone over there."  She then says, "Do you have some sort of problem where you can't seem to talk to people and be friendly with them?"I was in shock.  This isn't why I was in here. 
If my employer fired people for not being friendly, we would employ like half a dozen people tops. 

So, in a way, things ended up working out in my favor.  He's been super nice to me, but he also treats me like I'm a special ed kid.  He sent me an email that said, "Don't ever be embarrassed for who you are." 
I would have throat-punched this person, which ironically would probably fall under the category of "not friendly" or "insubordinate."

Seriously, though, I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through this.  Your boss sounds like a Richard.

Do not trust anyone.

They could still be trying to set up an excuse to fire you.

If possible, try to get some kind of confirmation that it was OK for you to use your personal cell phone. (Or, in the very least, get confirmation that such behavior is not considered to be "insubordination.")
Normally, I'd be suspicious as well.  But my boss has done a 180 and has been going out of his way to make sure we're working together better.  The HR VP also told me that the previous issues I've had would not be considered anymore and that they are wiping the slate clean.  I mean, I guess they could lie.  But I think they know they messed up.  

I have been semi looking for a new job, but have been trying to find a perfect fit.  My plan on that has not changed.  I don't want to be here anymore, but I also feel like he is no longer trying to push me out.

I was just talking to some friends I went to school with about Asbergers and when I was young we just didn't have a name for it.  To be honest, it was a mix of, traditionally nerdy traits but a skill set you knew even in your youth, when you're less enlightened, would lead to undeniable success based on in most cases either a heightened or a more focused intellect.  

There are no accidents in this world, and I guess "normal" people for lack of a better term (who gets to define and decide normal anyway but thats a talk for another time) and on the spectrum folks need each other.  Or more simply, the introverts need the extroverts and vice versa, we all fit like a puzzle.  

So I don't even understand or relate to the least bit of self consciousness about your variable ( I don't even want to say condition).   But at the same time, I do get it and its ok.  But I don't think its much you have to worry about being out there.  I personally only think of people in the most positive light.  

Just keep doing what you do and it will move on in time, but I certainly get and understand it being a raw nerve at the moment.
I wouldn't say I'm self conscious about it.  I just don't want people to treat me differently because of it.  

On a side note, can a company really tell you that you have to use the company phone they gave you?  I mean, I'm not trying to cause waves.  I just hate carrying around two cell phones in my pocket everywhere I go.

Sorry that happened man - though it sure sounds like your company is in a serious panic mode.  I am not a litigious person, but it may be helpful to visit an employment attorney find out what situation they are actually in.  

Man, this is gold.  I can tell just from your postings here your obvious wit and intelligence and I'd have you on my team in a nanosecond.

But it is time for you to find a new job.  Great the way you backed them off, but the fact that they acted that way in the first place tells me they are not a good employer.

And I have never been diagnosed but my wife is certain I am on the spectrum after watching Atypical. I can't say I disagree.

On a side note, can a company really tell you that you have to use the company phone they gave you?  I mean, I'm not trying to cause waves.  I just hate carrying around two cell phones in my pocket everywhere I go.
Yes. It's a huge deal in some industries, especially financial services where using your personal phone could give insider information to someone without a paper trail. 

I'd be looking for a new job and a good lawyer.
Same, minus the lawyer. It is clear they wanted to discipline you, going to great lengths to mention all sorts of petty stuff. And you already knew your boss was ‘setting traps.’ Why continue to work in that environment? 

Getting a lawyer will surely complicate things, and it will boil down to he said, they said in the end...but you’ve not been fired or even punished at this point. I suspect it would be pretty difficult to sue for embarrassment.

Good luck. 

That HR lady needs to get out of that dept.  Wish you had responded with "I didn't realize me walking around and being friendly to others out of the blue was in my job description"

Same, minus the lawyer. It is clear they wanted to discipline you, going to great lengths to mention all sorts of petty stuff. And you already knew your boss was ‘setting traps.’ Why continue to work in that environment? 

Getting a lawyer will surely complicate things, and it will boil down to he said, they said in the end...but you’ve not been fired or even punished at this point. I suspect it would be pretty difficult to sue for embarrassment.

Good luck. 
I tend to have a tough time finding new jobs but can usually keep them pretty easily.  If I could leave this place tomorrow for a better job, I would've done it already.  Everyday at this job is hell on earth. 

Yes. It's a huge deal in some industries, especially financial services where using your personal phone could give insider information to someone without a paper trail. 
Got it.  I'm not in any kind of industry where I could be giving inside information.  But that makes sense.

Depending on the nature of your work, they can require you use it for sensitive info. At least that is true in healthcare.

And eff the idea of carrying a couple phones, one of which is being scrutinized by your employer.

Normally, I'd be suspicious as well.  But my boss has done a 180 and has been going out of his way to make sure we're working together better.  The HR VP also told me that the previous issues I've had would not be considered anymore and that they are wiping the slate clean.  I mean, I guess they could lie.  But I think they know they messed up.  

I have been semi looking for a new job, but have been trying to find a perfect fit.  My plan on that has not changed.  I don't want to be here anymore, but I also feel like he is no longer trying to push me out.
:lol:  

Oh I bet they are. And they did. Bet that first HR ##### turned white as a ghost.

Did you disclose your medical info with HR VP.....or did he/she find out from the other HR ##### or your boss??

I haven't read any of the other responses so I'll just give you my unfiltered opinion. There's nothing wrong with you, you just process and react to the world a bit differently. Don't hide it. It's not something to be ashamed of nor proud of. It just is. Most people are not a******* but you have to give them the entire picture. If you do that you may find yourself with more ally's - you may even find that you are given opportunities that are better suited to you.

I hired a young guy a couple years back. He told me in the interview that he is on the spectrum. We hired him and everyone is aware. Nobody cares and nobody gets offended when he misses cues. Our industry is constantly evolving as is everyone's role on our team. We don't base everything on his Asperger's but we factor it in when we're game-planning and I think that benefits both him and the company.

You're one of my all-time favorite posters Sheik. It sounds like you're a fairly accomplished individual. Let it go - this may actually end up being a good thing.

:lol:  

Oh I bet they are. And they did. Bet that first HR ##### turned white as a ghost.

Did you disclose your medical info with HR VP.....or did he/she find out from the other HR ##### or your boss??
So her face when I said it was priceless.  Don't get me wrong, I took no pleasure in it and it was a horrible moment for me.  But I could almost hear Gob's signature line of, "I've made a huge mistake", echo from her expression.

I did tell the HR VP.  When I met with her the next day, I told her because it was important to the story.  Again, another person I had to tell it to because of the first HR lady.

I tend to have a tough time finding new jobs but can usually keep them pretty easily.  If I could leave this place tomorrow for a better job, I would've done it already.  Everyday at this job is hell on earth. 
Well, if it’s any consolation, I suspect your boss would give a glowing letter of reference under the current circumstances.

But what types of difficulty do you have finding new jobs? Do you have problems with interviews?

That HR lady needs to get out of that dept.  Wish you had responded with "I didn't realize me walking around and being friendly to others out of the blue was in my job description"
Yeah that's embarrassing.  While Sheik may have violated a company policy in most instances it's not a huge deal using a personal phone for calls.  But to call it insubordination is flat out wrong. 

Well, if it’s any consolation, I suspect your boss would give a glowing letter of reference under the current circumstances.

But what types of difficulty do you have finding new jobs? Do you have problems with interviews?
Not sure.  The work I've done I would think speaks for itself.  But lately I'm not even getting call backs.  Usually I can do all right in interviews because I've learned how to fake small talk enough to get through an interview.  9 out of 10 times I do well.  I honestly wish I knew why I wasn't getting call backs anymore.  

Yeah that's embarrassing.  While Sheik may have violated a company policy in most instances it's not a huge deal using a personal phone for calls.  But to call it insubordination is flat out wrong. 
Not only is calling it insubordination wrong, but to then open the whole line of questioning of "do you even want to work here".  To me, that is not something someone in HR should be initiating a conversation about.  Very inappropriate and unprofessional.

Look, Sheik, I like you. Like! I like you!
[shouts] Sheik! [calm voice] There's a lotta things about me you don't know anything about, Sheik. Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand.

ETA... I like you Sheik- genuinely. Just the way you are. Even if you're wrong about the joker. Thank you for sharing this bit about yourself...makes no difference to me and my like for you. You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Sheik. A rebel.

Interview questions are the best. "Have you ever felt extreme anger in a work situation?" .

Um no, not until right now.

One guy out of about 6  that predicted the housing crash in 2008 had Aspergers.  Doctor or something like that.  He made billions.  One of the few that actually read the paperwork on home loan stock funds.

One other key bit of information that is in other threads littered on this board:  My boss is not well liked by about 85% of the people in this company.  Turns out the HR lady he brought in was his friend.  The HR VP does not like him.

TheIronSheik said:

they are covering their #####.  lawyer up.  kick this up the chain, as high as possible.  as long as those 2 still work there, you're always going to be looking over your shoulder.

edited for joe.  interesting non censor

bryhamm said:
Especially in the me too era

actualy shiek sue her for sexual harassment for being too chummy

Users who are viewing this thread