What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

School dance where you cant say no if asked to dance?? (1 Viewer)

Something that wouldn't make any kind of news 35 years ago :shrug:  Not every blessed thing is a teachable 'Me Too" moment.

The principal is a putz, sure ... but handle this locally. School board head can give him a talk, remind him that it's 2020 and things are different now, and everyone can be on their way.

Something that wouldn't make any kind of news 35 years ago :shrug:  Not every blessed thing is a teachable 'Me Too" moment.

The principal is a putz, sure ... but handle this locally. School board head can give him a talk, remind him that it's 2020 and things are different now, and everyone can be on their way.
yeah, the parents are the real weasels here ...unbelievable they felt the need to escalate this

I don’t see this as a “me too” thing. I would have thought this creepy when I was a kid too.

This is one of those discussions where is should be easy to see both sides.
Unless both sides are arguing that this is a stupid rule, no this isnt one of those things. 

If this was a scenario where the dancing was specifically a no touch line dance or something like that and the rule was in place to be the same as perhaps doubles tennis team captains, then sure. 

But that wasnt the case. They have dances that require male to female contact and that is a bad message and super creepy. 

Boy: i want to dance with you

Girl:i dont want that. You write me creepy notes every day. 

Principal: too bad. Get out there and dance with creepy frank. 

Unless both sides are arguing that this is a stupid rule, no this isnt one of those things. 

If this was a scenario where the dancing was specifically a no touch line dance or something like that and the rule was in place to be the same as perhaps doubles tennis team captains, then sure. 

But that wasnt the case. They have dances that require male to female contact and that is a bad message and super creepy. 

Boy: i want to dance with you

Girl:i dont want that. You write me creepy notes every day. 

Principal: too bad. Get out there and dance with creepy frank. 
Did you ever square dance in school?  

Was it clear before the dance that this was a rule? 

And how in the world do they enforce such a rule?

I feel like this exact same thing has been in the news before several years ago. Or maybe I just have deja vue 

We've definitely come across something similar in the last 5 years.
From the article. 

Motta said he and the superintendent were reviewing the policy this week. It’s an approach that other Utah schools have revisited in recent years. In 2018, Weber School District instructed all of its schools to eliminate requirements to accept dance partners after a parent complained when her daughter told her she was not allowed to decline a boy’s invitation to dance.

There is a line you can click on that takes you to this. An article from 2018.

Utah schools changing longtime policy that students can’t say no when asked to dance

Sixth-graders will no longer be required to say “yes” when asked to dance at a Utah elementary school Valentine’s Day party that came under fire after a parent learned her daughter wasn’t allowed to decline boys’ invitations.

“We are re-examining the procedures surrounding these dances,” Lane Findlay, spokesman for the Weber School District, said in a news release. “We have advised our schools to eliminate any sort of language in the instructions surrounding these dances that would suggest a student must dance with another student.”

A parent of a sixth-grader at Kanesville Elementary in West Haven complained last week after her daughter told her she wasn’t allowed to say “no” if a boy asked her to dance at the school’s Valentine’s Day dance

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2018/02/14/utah-elementary-school-students-no-longer-have-to-say-yes-when-asked-to-dance/

Last edited by a moderator:
I am ok with the parent complaining to the principle about a silly policy.

I am very not ok with the parent equating this to rape culture.  GTFO with that when talking about 6th graders.
Rape culture is maybe too strong of wording, but it is a terrible message to send. 

I don’t see this as a “me too” thing. I would have thought this creepy when I was a kid too.
This isn't necessarily creepy because as a parent I would have quickly understood this was a self-esteem boosting issue, but it's certainly not under the rubric of a "me too" aggression. It's just another poorly-conceived attempt at mitigating failure to launch by removing impediments to real rejection, this happening to be a raw example.

"Would you, um..."

"NO!"

"Okay..."

Also, this topic is a Honda. We had this one a couple of years ago. 

GROOT said:

Everyone gets a trophy...right?

What this story really illustrates is that political correctness and the whole "wussification of America" narrative is not limited to the liberal agenda.

Users who are viewing this thread