What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jordan Love, GB (2 Viewers)

It would be interesting to see the Panthers trade back (they wouldn't take him with Teddy would they?) 

Love in Jacksonville scares me a little. 
Eagles took Wentz with Bradford and Denver took Lock after signing Flacco. So have to think could be on the table. Now will they is a different matter.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports that some NFL teams see Utah State QB Jordan Love as "the best pure thrower in the draft" but others see "a Day 2 pick."

Especially with many teams set at quarterback after the free agency shuffle, Love's draft stock is hard to predict. He has flashes of high-end arm talent and mobility, but he also threw 17 interceptions as a junior against below-average competition. It's not a surprise to see teams split on his evaluation, and teams aren't done sorting things out. Fowler reports the Dolphins, Saints, Patriots, Chargers, Packers, Redskins, and "several others" have done "varying levels of homework on Love", which includes looking into his background. Seven NFL head coaches have called Love's former college coach Matt Wells in the past five days.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

, New Orleans Saints

, New England Patriots

, Los Angeles Chargers

, Green Bay Packers

, Washington Redskins

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 11, 2020, 3:42 PM ET

In poll of 17 NFL executives and scouts by The Athletic's Bob McGinn, one scout said Utah State's Jordan Love "has the most physical upside of any" quarterback in the draft.

“The great ones make things look easy," the scout continued. "He makes it look easy. He’s an effortless thrower. He played with nobody around him. This year he was just out there winging it trying to make plays to win games. Did he develop some bad habits? Yeah, of course he did. But you can rein that in. It’s (easier) to get guys that like to play it safe and check down and be chain-movers. It’s hard to get those guys that push the ball down the field. He’s the only quarterback I ever scouted who will throw into bigger windows as a pro than he did in college. Those guys did not get open for him. If he ends up outside the top 10 we could be saying, ‘How the heck did Jordan Love last that long?’ He’s just got that play-making ability.” Evaluations have been split on Love all draft season, and that continued in McGinn's poll, as another couple scouts said Love "didn’t look like he knew what he was doing" at Utah State and questioned his "poor decisions, focus, his vision, and accuracy against pressure."  Love will be a fascinating player to track at the NFL level.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 17, 2020, 10:13 AM ET

Speaking with The Athletic's Bob McGinn, one scout said, "You question the makeup (of Utah State QB Jordan Love)."

There are no questions about Love's athletic ability. But this scout -- and he's in the majority -- has real questions about Love's playing tendencies, noting that the quarterback consistently made poor decisions with the Aggies in 2019 and lacks for real vision. As another scout put it to McGinn, "There were numerous times he’s looking right at an open wideout or a tight end coming right in the middle and the two linebackers are on the hashes and there’s a receiver standing in the middle of the field and he doesn’t throw it to him." Love's backers believe that his worst habits can be ironed out and that he was done no favors by Utah State's collection of receivers. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller passed along one crazy theoretical scenario involving Love -- that the Dolphins could forego Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert at No. 5, select a lineman in that spot and then take Love later in Round 1. Miami holds pick Nos. 18 and 26 later in the first round.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 17, 2020, 6:15 PM ET

2020 NFL Draft: Don't pass on Isaiah Simmons or Derrick Brown!

Excerpt:

4) You can't spend a first-round pick on Jordan Love

I don't believe in Love -- as in Jordan. I wouldn't pick the Utah State quarterback in the first round. As one NFC executive recently told me, "There's just too much bad tape."

After an enticing 2018 campaign, in which Love threw 32 touchdown passes against just eight interceptions, this past season was ... rough. Love's TD passes plummeted to 20, while his picks skyrocketed to an FBS-high 17. Yes, he had to deal with significant roster and coaching turnover before this past season, but still: A true first-round pick shouldn't struggle so much in the Mountain West. Against AP Top 25 teams in his Aggies career, Love went 0-4 with a 4:7 TD-to-INT ratio. I just don't see it.

Mailbag: Overrated and Underrated Draft Prospects; Rob Gronkowski in Tampa

Excerpt:

MAIL TIME

From Rami Alkadri (@ramisvine): Is Jordan Love still going first round? I feel like he’s been dropping.

Rami, Love’s been a tough one to peg. Back at the end of the college season, I had one pretty successful exec say to me that the Utah State product was going to have a limited number of teams that would be head over heels for him—and those teams would make every effort to keep that affection under wraps, because he figured to be such a polarizing prospect. That made him sort of a less-accomplished version of what Patrick Mahomes was in 2017. And maybe it’s why it has been hard to ascertain who really likes him.

But there’s a pretty big difference in the two as they were coming out of college. While both were seen as difficult to evaluate because of the offenses they played in and free-wheeling style they employed, Mahomes’s production (41 TD, 10 INT in his final year) dwarfed Love’s (20 TD, 17 INT in 2019), and the former did a much better job carrying his team when it was overmatched than the latter did, something evidenced in games the two played against LSU (Love: 15-for-30, 130 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT; Mahomes: 28-for-56, 370 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs)

Still, the mystery in who can get past the quirks in the game tape, and in raw ability, can draw parallels between the two. So figuring where Love will go has been a little bit of a guessing game. The Chiefs, you’ll remember, guessed right three years ago—that the Saints were smitten—and jumped right in front of them at 10.

The one rumor that’s floated around out there, which I mentioned earlier in the week is that the Dolphins could take a tackle rather than a quarterback at No. 5, and circle back and grab Love later on. But Miami’s done a good job keeping everyone guessing. And if something like that doesn’t happen? It’s feasible Love’s draft weekend might wind up like that of another 2017 QB—DeShone Kizer, an assumed first-rounder at one point, who fell to the middle of the second round.

And if it seems like we’re all over the place here, it’s because the range for Love really does seem to be that wide.

Packers traded up with the Dolphins to select Utah State QB Jordan Love with the No. 26 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Now we've got a stew goin'. The Packers surrendered the Nos. 30 and 136 picks to move up four spots for Aaron Rodgers' heir apparent. Love (6’4/224) fits the prototypical build of a first round quarterback — large, heaves with velocity, can maneuver around the pocket — but was very inconsistent at Utah State despite eclipsing 9,000 yards of total offense. He had a 32:6 TD:INT ratio as a redshirt sophomore before regressing to 20:17 in 2019. While Love worked with a weak supporting cast, blame should be placed on his shoulders, as he ranked 101st-overall in PFF’s turnover-worthy play rate and 88th in Total QBR, finishing with a pedestrian 175 rushing yards from under center. Quarterback coaches and scouts are still unsurprisingly drawn to his ability to throw outside of structure and to all levels of the field. A polarizing prospect like Josh Allen or Daniel Jones, Love needs to rein in his wild side to be a franchise quarterback. He will benefit from holding Rodgers' clipboard for multiple seasons, but it remains to be seen how Rodgers reacts to the provocation. 

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

Apr 23, 2020, 11:25 PM ET

Aaron Rodgers on @PatMcAfeeShow: "We haven't picked a skill player in the first round in 15 years, so that would be kind of cool."

Rodgers says whoever the pick is, he'll track down his phone number and welcome him to the team tonight -- if the Packers don't trade out.

— Matt Schneidman 

Hilarious that after Rodgers mentioning GB not drafting a skill position player in 15 years, they draft a QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaron Rodgers on @PatMcAfeeShow: "We haven't picked a skill player in the first round in 15 years, so that would be kind of cool."

Rodgers says whoever the pick is, he'll track down his phone number and welcome him to the team tonight -- if the Packers don't trade out.

— Matt Schneidman 

Hilarious that after Rodgers mentioning GB not drafting a skill position player in 15 years, they draft a QB.
I remember what a dink favre was when they drafted Rodgers. Hope he is cooler to the new kid.

- There had been widespread speculation that the Colts, whose first selection was No. 34, were thinking of trading up for Love. The truth, according to an NFL source, is that the Colts wouldn’t have even entertained taking Love until their second selection (No. 44) of the second round.

- Public niceties aside, my sense is LaFleur, fresh from a terrific 13-3 baptismal season, simply had enough of Rodgers’ act and wanted to change the narrative.

- Gutekunst’s comment that this class of wide receivers was about 12 deep…

- This draft also was the result of Gutekunst making moves to make up for more of his mistakes…
https://theathletic.com/1780592/2020/04/28/mcginn-after-a-curious-draft-packers-didnt-improve-their-team-immediately/?source=shared-article

Set aside the "perceived" conflict between Lafleur and Rodgers, there are financial reasons that support the pick of Love.

The Pack will be tight against the cap next off season (Mar 2021) with a lot of non Rodgers contracts escalating to high amounts. The Smith brothers will count for $37M combined. Adams will be in the final year of his deal @ 13M and looking for a payday, Amos at an overpaid 10M, and several others between 6-10M. They currently have $175M counting against the 2021 cap already leaving around 23-30M in space only. And outside of the top 5 or 6 players they don't have a lot of talent to rely on.

If Rodgers is traded or released in March 2021, it would actually save the Pack almost $5M in cap space. 36M cap hit minus 31M in dead cap space if released or traded. 

Rodgers cap hit escalates to almost 40M in 2022

A lot can happen over the next year with renegotiations and any number of other moves, but purely from a cap and dollars perspective, there is a logical line of thinking here. Love carries the clip board in 2020 and then the Pack have some options to consider next March.

If Love was a 2nd round pick like Garropolo I'd think less of the potential and think he is high end trade bait. But Love is 21 years old so he can easily simmer for a couple of seasons and at 23 still have three left under his rookie deal. 

Reminds me of Jameis Winston

Not sure if that's good or bad

Loads and loads of arm talent: not just strength but touch and accuracy as well

But mechanics and more so decision making are a mess

GB has a good record of getting the best out of raw QB prospects, so I think he definitely has a chance to smooth out some of his flaws

I have him as relatively distant QB3 over Herbert (who looks like a total bust to me), but I hope we get to see him in a week 17 or preseason game before he is thrown in to game actions

Whether that is 2021 or 2022

Reminds me of Jameis Winston

Not sure if that's good or bad

Loads and loads of arm talent: not just strength but touch and accuracy as well

But mechanics and more so decision making are a mess

GB has a good record of getting the best out of raw QB prospects, so I think he definitely has a chance to smooth out some of his flaws

I have him as relatively distant QB3 over Herbert (who looks like a total bust to me), but I hope we get to see him in a week 17 or preseason game before he is thrown in to game actions

Whether that is 2021 or 2022
Kizer, Hundley, Brohm... Packers have struck out as much as anyone on raw QB prospects. 

Kizer, Hundley, Brohm... Packers have struck out as much as anyone on raw QB prospects. 
Those guys were day 3 shots in the dark or signed as backups. Very different from trading up for a player in the 1st to one day give him the keys to the franchise

Those guys were day 3 shots in the dark or signed as backups. Very different from trading up for a player in the 1st to one day give him the keys to the franchise
???

Brian Brohm was round 2 (52)

Deshone Kizer round 2 (52)

But sure, we can group them with Hundley to make the point.

Can you provide a RECENT example of GB getting the most out of a raw QB prospect not named Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers?

???

Brian Brohm was round 2 (52)

Deshone Kizer round 2 (52)

But sure, we can group them with Hundley to make the point.

Can you provide a RECENT example of GB getting the most out of a raw QB prospect not named Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers?
Kizer was picked by a different team, looked awful and was then traded for as a reclamation project at the cost of swapping picks in the 4th and 5th round. 

Brohm was a miss. Ill give you that, but he was pretty much drafted to be a backup and actally was a third stringer in his only season with the Packers. Pretty sure Love has more capital and will get more time

More relevant would be the significantly less talented and worse prospect Matt Flynn—who flashed enough in a limited role, including looking really good against an 11-5 Lions team in 2011, to earn a starting gig and big contract in Seattle (until some random 3rd round rookie took it from him)

EDIT: And you say to exclude Rodgers and Favre but those are the only times the Packers in the modern era have invested as much in a QB as they have in Love. That's not to say he will be as good; but for a team's track record, those are much more relevant examples

Kizer was picked by a different team, looked awful and was then traded for as a reclamation project at the cost of swapping picks in the 4th and 5th round. 

Brohm was a miss. Ill give you that, but he was pretty much drafted to be a backup and actally was a third stringer in his only season with the Packers. Pretty sure Love has more capital and will get more time

More relevant would be the significantly less talented and worse prospect Matt Flynn—who flashed enough in a limited role, including looking really good against an 11-5 Lions team in 2011, to earn a starting gig and big contract in Seattle (until some random 3rd round rookie took it from him)

EDIT: And you say to exclude Rodgers and Favre but those are the only times the Packers in the modern era have invested as much in a QB as they have in Love. That's not to say he will be as good; but for a team's track record, those are much more relevant examples
Yes, there isn’t  a precedent for the packers and a first round QB. I guess I just found it odd you’d say they have a history of getting the most out of raw QBs. That was the case in the Holmgren days, but those have been long gone.

Im not optimistic in Loves long term fantasy potential unless it’s SF/2QB

Yes, there isn’t  a precedent for the packers and a first round QB. I guess I just found it odd you’d say they have a history of getting the most out of raw QBs. That was the case in the Holmgren days, but those have been long gone.

Im not optimistic in Loves long term fantasy potential unless it’s SF/2QB
True I have him in SF but I wouldn’t wait two years on him in 1QB either.

And from what it seems the Packers want to move to a run heavy offense

But I really do love his upside to be a diet Big Ben type QB—if the Packers go run heavy though he might be a better real life than fantasy option though (if he pans out)

I don't see that as the primary issue.

Teams will miss on picks sometimes. The Packers struggled in the draft for many years and it reflects in some of their long term struggles.

This is a very stable organization. I don't like everything Thompson did as GM, but the team has had continuity at QB1, head coach and GM at a rate most other teams can't rival. Is it always a good thing? Not when Thompson's methodology was all draft and he didn't draft well enough to keep riding that. Gutekunst is a legacy hire to keep that continuity. LaFleur has good experience and comes from offensive pedigree and did well in his limited time.

Love is going to a stable organization that doesn't trend towards too much upheaval ( good and bad) and where the community might ease some of his clear temperament problems.

Would anyone think he'd be better off with the Browns?

This is a good landing spot for him. He's under no immediate pressure to start now. The lower profile of the city lends some benefits. The incumbent QB1 isn't seen as a long term stone cold lock to hold the job forever in front of him. He's got a coach who has experience and whose entire career is built around offense and working with QB1s. The current GM is entrenched by way of legacy, so this forestalls some of the risky gut check moves you'd see less tenured people make.

This is as good as it will get for a guy like Love.
Yep. Some franchises just find their way to relevancy (fantasy and real life) consistently and never stay down for long regardless of coach or QB:

Colts, Steelers, Packers, Ravens--might even put the 49ers, Cowboys, Eagles and Vikings here even though they haven't won championships recently (except the Eagles) or the Vikings ever or even the Giants though they are stretching it with how much they have been down lately (maybe forgetting some)

Every so often a Bellichick/Brady or Mahomes comes along to lift a redheaded stepchild franchise to the top--sometimes for a long time--and maybe Tua/Burrow can do that

But overall in dynasty I think there is definitely value to be had in a player going to a team like that--it's why unless I hate the prospect a ton like Herbert I'll probably make whomever the Steelers/Saints (if Payton is there)/Colts draft as their QB of the future a target in my Superflex drafts

If Love has the work ethic to improve, everything is there for him to be great

Their track record was really only good with Holmgren and then picking Rodgers. The coaches and front office are completely different. It’s probably a below average spot for him to get drafted. Especially if Rogers plays well and they don’t trade him, then he’s worthless.

Their track record was really only good with Holmgren and then picking Rodgers. The coaches and front office are completely different. It’s probably a below average spot for him to get drafted. Especially if Rogers plays well and they don’t trade him, then he’s worthless.
Rodgers's days on the Packers are numbered. There were grumblings of discontent on both ends for a while and this really tells me the Packers are ready to move on and frankly that Rodgers is too. 

They traded up to spend a 1st on him. They pretty much have to play him

It wasn't just Holmgren either. McCarthy too helped revive Favre in the early 2000s and develop Rodgers (a better prospect than Love but far from perfect coming out--considered similar arm talent as Love is right now but with far better decision making and similarly faulty mechanics)

Like I said: maybe it's not a winning formula but there are some teams I just trust more to find their way to relevance, come up with good QB play and the Packers are one of them

Obviously Lafleur and the current FO have to prove it, but their offseason signings did vault them to the NFC CG (they were overrated and not one of the 4 best teams or as good as their record but certainly better than 2018)

Packers signed No. 26 overall pick QB Jordan Love to a four-year contract. 

As is the case with all first-round contracts, the deal includes a fifth-year team option for 2024. The most controversial pick of this year's class, Love arrives in Green Bay as the backup to Packers legend Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers has barely concealed the fact that he's not a happy camper, responding to Love's selection by saying he would like to play into his 40s. This also does not seem to be a Jimmy Garoppolo/Tom Brady situation. The Packers are planting their flag for the future. For his part, Love physically looks like an NFL quarterback while boasting intriguing athletic traits, but he was extremely inconsistent for mid-major Utah State. The Packers have upset their franchise player and tethered their future to a prospect who is nothing close to a sure thing.  

Jul 1, 2020, 3:26 PM ET

Is anyone else seeing this stuff about the Packers making Love's contract fully guaranteed? Seems like a strange concession to make with a rookie who has no leverage, QB of the future or not. 

ConnSKINS26 said:
Is anyone else seeing this stuff about the Packers making Love's contract fully guaranteed? Seems like a strange concession to make with a rookie who has no leverage, QB of the future or not. 
This is rather common for 1st round picks and isn’t a real big deal 

It had never been done with that pick, which is why it seems weird to do it when rookies have essentially zero leverage. 
Maybe they intend to sit him for a while?

Hope not as a SF Love owner and it goes against my initial theory that relations between Rodgers and GB were strained enough that he had only a year or two left, but they might hesitate to guarantee under normal circumstances because they are hedging against the chance of injury. That's obviously less if he isn't playing games

Maybe they intend to sit him for a while?

Hope not as a SF Love owner and it goes against my initial theory that relations between Rodgers and GB were strained enough that he had only a year or two left, but they might hesitate to guarantee under normal circumstances because they are hedging against the chance of injury. That's obviously less if he isn't playing games

Love was drafted as a salary cap move and to a certain extent a gamble. Other teams are winning with young qb. Balancing the cap to spend on the squad overall. That's the blue print to win. The friction doesn't matter compared to being competitive now and making a run in 3 years.

The Athletic's Matt Schneidman wrote that Jordan Love "has yet to even provide a glimpse at why the Packers traded up to draft him in the first round."

Love was featured in the "Falling Stock" section of the Packers' training camp recap, largely because of his arm. Schneidman writes, "Nobody expected him to take the world by storm in his first nine practices, but every throw he makes seems like a touch pass and he’s had some accuracy issues early on." Love was a highly debated prospect coming out of Utah State for this exact reason. While he made unbelievable plays at times, Love had notable accuracy and interception issues on tape. The Packers likely have two seasons to groom Love with Aaron Rodgers' contract essentially preventing him from leaving before that, but it appears they have their work cut out with development. Love's raw tools are what made the Packers trade up for him in the later portion of the 2020 first round.
https://theathletic.com/2022343/2020/08/26/packers-stock-report-whos-rising-and-whos-falling-at-camp/?source=emp_shared_article

Users who are viewing this thread