What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandon Aiyuk, SF (1 Viewer)

FYI does not seem to be a lot of love for Aiyuk. Just took him 2.8 in 14 team .5ppr just after Mims and Shenault and just before Claypool. 

Not a big college guy but learned to heavily weight draft stock so was no brainer selection. Add in the trade up plus the immediate Sanders void and there is lots to like with him in the second. 

That said I'd rather have had a RB at that spot. :)

Yeah, I got him at 2.06 and he's gone around that range in all 4 of my PPR drafts. Not a huge fan, but I like the value there for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI does not seem to be a lot of love for Aiyuk. Just took him 2.8 in 14 team .5ppr just after Mims and Shenault and just before Claypool. 

Not a big college guy but learned to heavily weight draft stock so was no brainer selection. Add in the trade up plus the immediate Sanders void and there is lots to like with him in the second. 

Falling outside the top 10 in basically all my PPR leagues, often as deep as 15-16.

I get it because this is a deep rookie class with 7 total WR/RB picked in the first round. Someone has to fall by default, but still I think he's shaping up to be great value. Looks pretty good to me in his clips, has a physical profile that translates well to the NFL, and the Niners traded up to get him at #25.

I'll be pulling the trigger all day at his ADP if I have picks in the right range.

I'm with you. A first rounder at 2.08, hard to pass up a deal like that. He's my target in the middle 2nd. 

I'm with you. A first rounder at 2.08, hard to pass up a deal like that. He's my target in the middle 2nd. 
I'm currently sitting at 2.08, I wondering if I can move up to pick 2.04 and take him there OR just be safe an pull the trigger at 2.01. I need to take a closer look at these guys that I have clustered together.

Tex

I'm currently sitting at 2.08, I wondering if I can move up to pick 2.04 and take him there OR just be safe an pull the trigger at 2.01. I need to take a closer look at these guys that I have clustered together.

Tex
He just went 2.8 in my 12team 1ppr. After Higgins and before Shenault. But all three qbs went in run before him. 

If you slide to 2.4-5 you should be safe. Just a ton of great wr value in the second so even if he's gone you'll get someone solid the. 

He just went 2.8 in my 12team 1ppr. After Higgins and before Shenault. But all three qbs went in run before him. 

If you slide to 2.4-5 you should be safe. Just a ton of great wr value in the second so even if he's gone you'll get someone solid the. 
2.4 you get your choice of those guys, 2.08 you get who falls. You have to hope some of those t2/3 rbs get scooped up. 

Tex
I have the 2.02 and 2.04 in one, I'm holding off til 2.04. That's what I'm doing, getting greedy. Having my cake and eating it too. I bet there's somebody you really like at 2.01 too, this draft is great. I'm hoping to come away with Pittman and Eye-yook.

I have the 2.02 and 2.04 in one, I'm holding off til 2.04. That's what I'm doing, getting greedy. Having my cake and eating it too. I bet there's somebody you really like at 2.01 too, this draft is great. I'm hoping to come away with Pittman and Eye-yook.
Pittman has gone earlier than expected in both my drafts. 2.1 in 12-team (I was ready to take him at 1.12 but Reagor fell) and then he went 1.10 in 14-teamer. 

Out of curiosity, where you got that tier ranked?

Pittman 
Higgins
Ruggs
Aiyuk
Mims
Shenault

Pittman 
Higgins
Ruggs
Aiyuk
Mims
Shenault

Not to speak for the poster you quoted, but I would rank those players as:

I rank Pittman and Aiyuk 1/2, or 2/1 in that list, take your pick, followed by either Ruggs or Mims, or Mims or Ruggs, then either Higgins or Shenault or Shenault or Higgins.

Not to speak for the poster you quoted, but I would rank those players as:

I rank Pittman and Aiyuk 1/2, or 2/1 in that list, take your pick, followed by either Ruggs or Mims, or Mims or Ruggs, then either Higgins or Shenault or Shenault or Higgins.
Thanks!

I am sitting at 1.12, and worst case for me is deciding between Aiyuk/Mims/Vaughn, I really need someone to take one of them in front of me. 

I have issues with Aiyuk's profile, and path to relevance in SF. I don't think Jimmy G can support two WRs and a TE.

Thanks!

I am sitting at 1.12, and worst case for me is deciding between Aiyuk/Mims/Vaughn, I really need someone to take one of them in front of me. 

I have issues with Aiyuk's profile, and path to relevance in SF. I don't think Jimmy G can support two WRs and a TE.
What's wrong with Aiyuk's profile?  I like Mims but I do have that mental block with Jets WRs.  I believe Vaughn is being drafted too high in dynasty drafts.  He belongs in the middle of the 2nd round, not middle / late 1st.

Pittman 
Higgins
Ruggs
Aiyuk
Mims
Shenault

Ruggs, Pittman, Eye-yook, Shenault, Higgins, then Mims.

I wouldn't put Ruggs so high if I didn't adhere to draft capital. I might just take Pittman instead tbh.

What's wrong with Aiyuk's profile? 
Quite a bit, really.

"The dynamism is great but there are some red flags in Aiyuk’s profile, none more glaring than his 21.5 (26th-percentile) Breakout Age. Because he began his career at the JUCO level, Aiyuk was a late-bloomer and is one of those terrifying one-year-wonder prospects. When we look at NFL wide receivers using the Data Analysis Tool, the average Breakout Age among the top-24 scorers of 2019 in terms of PPR points per game was 19.5. The NFL average was 20.3. Basically, the odds are stacked against Aiyuk’s profile. On the field, he underwhelmed in contested catch situations. He caught only three-of-14 contested targets, a 25-percent rate. That is well below average among the wide receivers in this class."

1/3 of his targets were screens, ASU manufactured touches for him. That's cool, but SF has that guy already. I actually think  he has pretty high bust potential. I'm not gonna LOL when  someone takes him,  I'm not so strongly negative on Aiyuk, but you gotta take a stand on some guys you want and don't want in rookie drafts, I can't just go down the ADP list, taking the next guy. I'm out on Vaughn, Aiyuk, Shenault, Akers, Claypool, few other guys.  

I like Mims but I do have that mental block with Jets WRs.  I believe Vaughn is being drafted too high in dynasty drafts.  He belongs in the middle of the 2nd round, not middle / late 1st.
Agree on Vaughn. Mims is a guy I will take happily, if I am cornered. In this draft, not a 1st rounder, but man, he makes a pretty nice 2nd rounder.

Quite a bit, really.

"The dynamism is great but there are some red flags in Aiyuk’s profile, none more glaring than his 21.5 (26th-percentile) Breakout Age. Because he began his career at the JUCO level, Aiyuk was a late-bloomer and is one of those terrifying one-year-wonder prospects. When we look at NFL wide receivers using the Data Analysis Tool, the average Breakout Age among the top-24 scorers of 2019 in terms of PPR points per game was 19.5. The NFL average was 20.3. Basically, the odds are stacked against Aiyuk’s profile. On the field, he underwhelmed in contested catch situations. He caught only three-of-14 contested targets, a 25-percent rate. That is well below average among the wide receivers in this class."
I believe he was 6th in the nation in YAC.  He's fast enough, has the size, has big play ability, and is tough.  Could he bust?  Sure, plenty of these WRs have warts.  I like his situation in SF actually.  I prefer Pittman over him, but I believe they are close.  I like both more than Ruggs and Higgins.  I admit I'm not sure about Mims, so I won't comment on him one way or the other.

Falling outside the top 10 in basically all my PPR leagues, often as deep as 15-16.

I get it because this is a deep rookie class with 7 total WR/RB picked in the first round. Someone has to fall by default, but still I think he's shaping up to be great value. Looks pretty good to me in his clips, has a physical profile that translates well to the NFL, and the Niners traded up to get him at #25.

I'll be pulling the trigger all day at his ADP if I have picks in the right range.
I’m tempted but I own Deebo already and the 49ers don’t throw a ton. I hate people worrying about owning 2 guys from the same team but this is the one time it makes me think. Things change of course but I’m just entering a win now window and not sure when he’ll help.

Ruggs is gone before the Aiyuk choice has to be made from what I can see.

It's really, Mims, Pittman, Higgins and Aiyuk in that 14-18 range.  And everyone has a different order for those four.

Sometimes mixed in with a RB (Moss or Dillon).  Superflex you get Burrow, Tua and Herbert going ahead of them too.

voiceofunreason said:
I’m tempted but I own Deebo already and the 49ers don’t throw a ton. I hate people worrying about owning 2 guys from the same team but this is the one time it makes me think. Things change of course but I’m just entering a win now window and not sure when he’ll help.
If you're in "win now" mode then I'm not sure any rookie WR is really a safe pick.

Bottom line to me is that he presents the highest draft slot and most impressive tape of his ADP peers (Higgins, Pittman, Mims, Shenault, Claypool).

Is there talent in that cluster? Yes, but almost all of those guys have issues of their own.

The comps to deebo surprise me with him as one of deebo's strengths was his ability to catch the ball while it's one of Aiyuk's liabilities.  That scares me about him more than anything - if he can't be schemed touches then he won't be able to fight through coverage for them.

Sounds like Shanahan won't mind manufacturing touches for him.  I wonder if he truly thought he was a top 2 WR or if that's just garbage post draft, coach speak.

Could be BS, but it's not just Shanahan. Lynch has said they talked about being happy with him at 13 if things fell crazy.

49ers first-round WR Brandon Aiyuk is "fully recovered" from his core operation. 

The No. 25 overall pick has been participating in informal throwing sessions with Jimmy Garoppolo. A YAC monster for Arizona State in the PAC-12, Aiyuk will be fed targets in an offense where they are there for the taking. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jun 12, 2020, 5:07 PM ET

49ers signed first-round WR Brandon Aiyuk to a four-year contract.

Like all first-round picks, Aiyuk's rookie contract comes with a fifth-year team option. Aiyuk was always projected for a near full-time role in 2020, but Deebo Samuel's broken foot suddenly vaults Aiyuk into the fantasy spotlight. The 49ers passing offense doesn't exactly scream fantasy production outside of George Kittle, but Aiyuk is a worthwhile flier in the last rounds of fantasy drafts with Samuel possibly headed for the PUP list to start the season. At Arizona State, Aiyuk showed impressive yards after the catch ability, something coach Kyle Shanahan certainly will highlight as he schemes open his first-round rookie.

SOURCE: 49ers on Twitter

Jun 26, 2020, 3:36 PM ET

If Shanahan is scheming him the ball we will see some nice production.  He will probably be ahead of anticipated schedule with Deebo out and his similarity with Deebo. 

I wonder if in hindsight the Niners don’t regret passing on any of the big 3 WRs in this draft. 

i likes Aiyuk a lot more when he was expected to be the WR2 (3rd option behind Kittle) 

I wonder if in hindsight the Niners don’t regret passing on any of the big 3 WRs in this draft. 

i likes Aiyuk a lot more when he was expected to be the WR2 (3rd option behind Kittle) 
I was disappointed that they did not grab Lamb at the time, but if either Kinlaw or Aiyuk are good then I guess it worked out. 

The Athletic's Matt Barrows expects No. 25 overall pick Brandon Aiyuk to be the 49ers' "best outside-the-hashes target."

Connecting dots, Barrows expects Aiyuk to "essentially (take) over for Emmanuel Sanders." Like most of the 49ers' pass catchers, Aiyuk is a YAC threat, but he also has the speed and catch radius to do damage on the outside. He was excellent on go routes in the PAC-12. The 49ers' passing-game distribution is a bit of a black box in the COVID year, but Aiyuk is well worth a late-round flier in 12-team leagues.  

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 11, 2020, 8:56 PM ET

I believe he will start and is a great early sleeper in 2020.
Don't forget about Hurd if he's healthy. Last preseason the 9ers seemed to be moving him around a lot and focusing on him in the redzone. Then he got hurt and he was gone. 

The Good and Not So Good from Day 1 of 49ers Training Camp

Excerpt:

1. Wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk.

Took reps at split end with the first-team offense and beat starting cornerback Emmanuel Moseley with a quick slant route. Aiyuk also took reps with the second-team offense, and beat backup cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon with a deep comeback route near the left sideline. Aiyuk already seems like one of the most athletic and dynamic wide receivers on the team. He got open and hardly broke a sweat.

Sounds like there is an Aiyuk drumbeat starting up. 
Deebo being hurt puts him in a similar position as Deebo was last year. He has an amazing opportunity, and the talent to follow through. May be the highest scoring rookie wr this year 

So many moving parts...Hurd & Taylor coming back, McKinnon possibly healthy requiring targets, Deebo timeline, ......I like a lot of the pieces but too many options in a low pass volume offense.

NFL training camp 2020: Good news for Alex Smith, Gardner Minshew

Excerpt:

The 49ers have high hopes for rookie receiver Brandon Aiyuk and although they are not yet in pads, the early returns have been quite promising. Aiyuk is already getting opportunities with the starting offense and making the most of them. In Sunday's practice, Aiyuk got a deep ball from Jimmy Garoppolo that would have gone for a 50-plus yard gain and then added other would-be big gains on a deep crosser and a dig route. Aiyuk has already earned praise from coach Kyle Shanahan for his attention to detail and work ethic.

"You can tell he knows how to practice like a pro," Shanahan said. "You can tell he comes prepared every day. He's not a guy you've had to teach how to act or teach how important it is to learn this stuff. You can tell he understood that before he got here and since we've been around him, you can tell he's been working and that's why he's further ahead, I think, than a lot of rookies would be at this time."

A quick Aiyuk emergence would be a big development for the Niners after losing Emmanuel Sanders to free agency and as they wait for Deebo Samuel to return from a fracture in his foot. -- Nick Wagoner

hispeedthinmint said:
Not in that offense IMO
Who else has a better situation? Could make a case for Reagor I suppose but it’s no better than Aiyuk- both have a TE as the #1 target and no real #2 (until Deebo comes back, and could be Jackson in PHI). 

Users who are viewing this thread