What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandon Aiyuk, SF (4 Viewers)

Who else has a better situation? Could make a case for Reagor I suppose but it’s no better than Aiyuk- both have a TE as the #1 target and no real #2 (until Deebo comes back, and could be Jackson in PHI). 
Literally everyone

A passing averse offense with a bad QB and a coach who loves to pound the rock behind 2 targets who are both young and not going away any time soon (off chance he surpasses Deebo but I don't see it being particularly likely)

Combining long term and short term situations: give me (in no particular order) situations of Reagor (though not a big fan of the prospect), Higgins (more long term), Pittman (both short and long term), Mims (close but there is immediate opportunity and good chance of no Gase beyond), Jeudy (number 2 target immediately--Broncos also seem to me like a team ready to pass more), Lamb (high volume passing offense), Ruggs+Edwards (Raiders WR room sucks and I don't think Carr is there long)

Literally everyone

A passing averse offense with a bad QB and a coach who loves to pound the rock behind 2 targets who are both young and not going away any time soon (off chance he surpasses Deebo but I don't see it being particularly likely)

Combining long term and short term situations: give me (in no particular order) situations of Reagor (though not a big fan of the prospect), Higgins (more long term), Pittman (both short and long term), Mims (close but there is immediate opportunity and good chance of no Gase beyond), Jeudy (number 2 target immediately--Broncos also seem to me like a team ready to pass more), Lamb (high volume passing offense), Ruggs+Edwards (Raiders WR room sucks and I don't think Carr is there long)
I wasn’t talking long term

I-ROK said:
May be the highest scoring rookie wr this year 
He has a great opportunity to start the season with Deebo on the shelf 

Last edited by a moderator:
49ers HC Kyle Shanahan said rookie WR Brandon Aiyuk has impressed during training camp and has earned reps with the first-team offense. 

Every indication is that Aiyuk will get a lot of run in the Niners' offense this year, especially if Deebo Samuel misses the early part of the season. He could be the team's WR1 if Samuel is out Week 1. In an offense that ran the ball 51.4 percent of the time in 2019 (second highest rate in the league), Aiyuk doesn't profile as a high-volume option. Then again, he's available in the 12th round of 12-team leagues. 

SOURCE: Rob Lowder on Twitter 

Aug 20, 2020, 3:26 PM ET

Rotoworld:

49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk left practice early after suffering an apparent hamstring injury. 

The rookie, who has impressed throughout Niners camp, "pulled up on a deep route and grabbed back of his left leg," according to beat writer Matt Maiocco. A lengthy Aiyuk absence could leave Dante Pettis as the team's top wideout if Deebo Samuel misses Week 1. Adjust the ranks. 

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter 

Aug 23, 2020, 3:36 PM ET

The Athletic's Matt Barrows and David Lombardi report first-round WR Brandon Aiyuk has been "as good as advertised" through the first eight days of 49ers camp. 

Per Barrows, Aiyuk has already developed strong chemistry with Jimmy Garoppolo as he's "caught screens, he’s taken handoffs and perhaps most important, he’s gone deep." Lombardi reports he's played faster than his listed 4.5 speed. Currently battling a hamstring injury, Aiyuk is arguably in the driver's seat to open the season as the 49ers' No. 1 wideout if his health cooperates. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 24, 2020, 9:38 PM ET

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan has classified Brandon Aiyuk's hamstring strain as "mild." 

It's important news for the Niners' epically banged up receiver group. Of course, even a "mild" soft-tissue injury could linger into the regular season at this stage of the summer, but Aiyuk has over two weeks to heal up for Week 1. The Athletic raved on Monday that Aiyuk has been "as good as advertised." The first-rounder should not go undrafted in 12-team leagues. 

SOURCE: Can Inman on Twitter 

Aug 25, 2020, 3:40 PM ET

49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.

Deebo Samuel (foot) also was sidelined. All eyes will be on their statuses tomorrow and Friday, as both need to get in a limited practice to have a realistic chance of playing in the season opener. The 49ers are projected for 27 points as a team, setting up either player for a potential ceiling game if they can get healthy. Kendrick Bourne is the receiver to know if Aiyuk and Samuel remain sidelined in this week's practices.

SOURCE: Cam Inman on Twitter

Sep 9, 2020, 9:24 PM ET

Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) returned to 49ers practice on Thursday, getting in a "limited" session. 

Aiyuk is not out of the woods yet, but this is a major step in the right direction. His status is critical, as Deebo Samuel (foot) remained sidelined on Thursday. A fully healthy Aiyuk would be an intriguing WR4 against Arizona, but it is hard to consider him more than a WR5 at this juncture. 

Sep 10, 2020, 5:42 PM ET

49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) is listed as questionable for Week 1. 

Aiyuk returned to Niners practice on Thursday in a limited capacity, and got in another limited practice Friday. Aiyuk, who turned heads in training camp before his hamstring injury, could see solid opportunity with Deebo Samuel on the shelf for Week 1. Head coach Kyle Shanahan said the rookie earned first-team reps in practices before the injury. 

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter 

Sep 11, 2020, 5:01 PM ET

Aiyuk got dropped to the wire after week 1 waiver run. And I’m looking for near term/mid term WR help. (I have a few other WR with sore hamstrings so why not another?)

What are the chances he does something in redraft if he’s healthy these next few weeks?

Aiyuk got dropped to the wire after week 1 waiver run. And I’m looking for near term/mid term WR help. (I have a few other WR with sore hamstrings so why not another?)

What are the chances he does something in redraft if he’s healthy these next few weeks?
They just signed Sanu so I'd say not good. 

They probably picked up Sanu because it looks like Deebo could miss a lot more time with his foot injury and they don't want Pettis or Taylor to start. Now it should be Aiyuk and Sanu if Aiyuk is good to go. 

That said, I think Jimmy G is showing his true colors, aka he's not a top 16 QB in the league (imo), not sure how much he holds back Kittle and any WRs. 

they don't want Pettis or Taylor to start. Now it should be Aiyuk and Sanu if Aiyuk is good to go. 
This is the answer. There have been no reports suggesting Debo will miss any more time than the 3 weeks. 

This is the answer. There have been no reports suggesting Debo will miss any more time than the 3 weeks. 
Until he runs in 3 weeks and is still sore. I know you have more local 49er info, I’m just not optimistic about Deebo having a meaningful season

Until he runs in 3 weeks and is still sore. I know you have more local 49er info, I’m just not optimistic about Deebo having a meaningful season
Like I said - nothing to this point suggests that Debo will not be back when eligible. And literally nothing except his draft positions suggests that Ayiuk will be valuable at all. That's TBD. 

What we do know is that when Debo is on the field he's a dominant receiver - the end of last season + playoffs showed that pretty clearly. That's why I am optimistic that he'll have a meaningful season. He's the #1 target for an offense desperate for a #1 target.  A fluky bone break in camp didn't make him forget how to play football or reduce his size/speed. 

Like I said - nothing to this point suggests that Debo will not be back when eligible. And literally nothing except his draft positions suggests that Ayiuk will be valuable at all. That's TBD. 

What we do know is that when Debo is on the field he's a dominant receiver - the end of last season + playoffs showed that pretty clearly. That's why I am optimistic that he'll have a meaningful season. He's the #1 target for an offense desperate for a #1 target.  A fluky bone break in camp didn't make him forget how to play football or reduce his size/speed. 
What we also know is Deebo couldn’t return a week ago because he still had pain. We have to presume this is worse than originally thought, otherwise he would have suited up. What we don’t know is when Deebo will be back. No news yet on that, sure, but in this case no news isn’t good news. If he were running and we had news of that, great. The fact that we have no news means he likely hasn’t tried running yet, and probably won’t for another week at least

I would agree that the Niners were desperate for a #1 target.  Desperate enough, with Deebo in the fold, that they’d not only take Aiyuk in the first round, but trade up in order to do so.

What we also know is Deebo couldn’t return a week ago because he still had pain. We have to presume this is worse than originally thought, otherwise he would have suited up. What we don’t know is when Deebo will be back. No news yet on that, sure, but in this case no news isn’t good news. If he were running and we had news of that, great. The fact that we have no news means he likely hasn’t tried running yet, and probably won’t for another week at least
Except for the fact that it was never believed he’d be back in time for week 1 until some last minute optimism popped up prior to week 1. 

the reality is that wee 2 or 3 were considered his likely return date.

So glass half empty or half full? He’s returning about when he was supposed to, within the constraints of the 3 week IR. 

You can choose to be pessimistic about that - I won’t fault anyone for that. But let’s not act like it’s at all surprising that he was still in pain within the timeframe he was expected to miss. 

as a Niner fan I was enthusiastic that he might come back in time for week 1. It was shocking news at the time. As a realist I didn’t draft him, because I thought it was unrealistic. 

I would agree that the Niners were desperate for a #1 target.  Desperate enough, with Deebo in the fold, that they’d not only take Aiyuk in the first round, but trade up in order to do so.
I am still pissed that they let lamb & Jeudy slip by. More so now that I’ve seen them play at an NFL level. Lamb was the pick. He was who I was screaming for on draft day. 

Ah well. 

Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.

Aiyuk got in some limited reps last week but was ultimately inactive against the Cardinals. The Niners need some of their playmakers to get healthy, but they're now even more shorthanded after George Kittle sprained his knee. San Francisco will continue to lean on guys like Kendrick Bourne, Trent Taylor, and Dante Pettis while Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel (foot) are out. This offense should be able to run the ball all over the Jets this week.

Sep 16, 2020, 3:46 PM ET

49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) practiced Thursday. 

An excellent sign for his Week 2 availability. With Deebo Samuel (foot) out and George Kittle (knee) not practicing all week, Aiyuk could see target volume by default this week against the Jets, who were gashed by Buffalo receivers last week. Bills wideouts combined for 23 catches, 247 yards, and a touchdown against the Jets. Aiyuk shapes up as a reasonable fantasy start in 12-team leagues. 

Sep 17, 2020, 3:27 PM ET

49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) was officially listed as "full" in Thursday's practice. 

It means that, barring a Friday setback, Aiyuk will be ready to make his NFL debut against the Jets. It will come as George Kittle (knee) likely sits, giving Aiyuk opportunity-based upside as a fourth receiving option in leagues with multiple FLEX spots. The Jets provided zero Week 1 resistance to Buffalo's Stefon Diggs and John Brown. 

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter 

Sep 17, 2020, 5:57 PM ET

:bold: 

no idea what Aiyuk will do. Good luck! For my Niners sake I hope for big things. 
I like Reagor a lot. And he was a bad pass away from 100+ and a TD last week. 

But as my name states, I have Horned Frog colored glasses and watched him all through college.

I’d take Reagor over Aiyuk easy at this point in the season. Philly WR corps is in a similar situation as SF and it’s not like he’s fighting for playing time or targets.

I’d take Reagor over Aiyuk easy at this point in the season. Philly WR corps is in a similar situation as SF and it’s not like he’s fighting for playing time or targets.
I’m a Niners honk and I’d probably take Reagor too. Aiyuk is a complete mystery at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread