What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandon Aiyuk, SF (1 Viewer)

Is anyone downgrading Aiyuk with CJ Beathard under center?  Doesn't seem like much of a drop-off from Mullens, but I don't really know.

I could also see Kittle gobbling up the few pass attempts that may have previously gone to BA.

Is anyone downgrading Aiyuk with CJ Beathard under center?  Doesn't seem like much of a drop-off from Mullens, but I don't really know.

I could also see Kittle gobbling up the few pass attempts that may have previously gone to BA.
I think Beathard and Mullens are the same person...have they ever been seen in the same room together?  Kittle is interesting because he could take a few targets from him but he could also give him more breathing room...with Aiyuk's talent I would probably just keep him where you had him with Mullens and without Kittle...kid is legit...as a Pats fan i am convinced the film guy screwed up their pre-draft info and gave them Aiyuk highlights at ASU instead of Harry and the Pats drafted the wrong guy.

Absolutely love this guy long-term. Assuming the 49ers can solve QB issues in the next few years, I see him contending for top WR in the league.

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Brandon Aiyuk (ankle) won't play in Week 17 against the Seahawks.

The sixth and final wide receiver selected in the first round of the 2020 draft, Aiyuk's sterling rookie campaign comes to a close with 60 receptions, 748 receiving yards — both team-high marks — and seven all-purpose touchdowns including two on the ground. Aiyuk's 96 targets are also far and away a team-high mark. George Kittle's and Deebo Samuel's lengthy absences certainly increased Aiyuk's weekly opportunity, but the latter still delivered as a multifaceted threat with 4.8 YAC per reception whenever he touched the ball. It was enough for Aiyuk to warrant WR2 consideration even with all healthy around him in 2021 fantasy leagues.

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

Dec 28, 2020, 4:50 PM ET

I probably have more equity in Aiyuk than any other player. Really happy with how things are looking.
I would love to have equity in this guy. I didn't believe in him at all coming out of college. Consider me firmly in his camp now. He's dynamic.

I would love to have equity in this guy. I didn't believe in him at all coming out of college. Consider me firmly in his camp now. He's dynamic.
Agreed...I am all in on him on my two Dynasty teams...kid is just an athletic freak and has that "it" factor...if San Fran hits on this QB selection he could really be set-up for some long-term success.

I love him too, but I'm not necessarily loving this news. They went all-in to likely get the 3rd QB in this draft, and if he doesn't work out they have no ammo in the next few years to draft another one.

The Athletic's Matt Barrows said Brandon Aiyuk "has the makings of an excellent accomplice" for Trey Lance and his downfield passing ability. 

The rookie quarterback's arm "may not be quite the cannon Buffalo’s Josh Allen has, but long, play-action passes were a staple of his college offense and he should be able to go deep and throw outside the numbers more than [Jimmy] Garoppolo and [Nick] Mullens have in recent seasons," Barrows said. Aiyuk in 2020 led the Niners with 12 targets of more than 20 yards downfield. He caught five of them for 165 yards. Lance taking over for Garoppolo would severely impact targets volume for Aiyuk and George Kittle, with Aiyuk turning into a more volatile fantasy option than he was for much of his rookie campaign. Being drafted as the WR25, Aiyuk is being taken near his fantasy ceiling if Lance starts most of the 2021 season for the 49ers. 

RELATED: 

Trey Lance

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 5, 2021, 11:51 AM ET

10 crucial fantasy football developments from opening week of NFL training camps

Excerpt:

Brandon Aiyuk may be unstoppable

I love projections. I do my own every single year and they’ve helped me tremendously when preparing rankings and tiers heading into each season.

However, we can sometimes get lost in our spreadsheets when trying to dole out volume based on historical trends of an offense. What we fail to properly account for is a player can sometimes be so far superior to previous cohorts at his position that he changes the way volume is distributed.

Brandon Aiyuk might just be that good.

49ers Webzone @49erswebzone

From yesterday: #49ers receiver feels Brandon Aiyuk is on the cusp of being 'unguardable'

https://twitter.com/49erswebzone/status/1421100775166685196?s=21

Aiyuk has drawn rave reviews as a true chore to cover in camp. Jason Verrett, the man charged with this task, compared him to Julio Jones after a practice ... another player who altered the volume distribution for a Kyle Shanahan offense.

Aiyuk is already coming off a season where he led the team with 96 targets and instantly showed to be a beast route-runner with explosive traits. Don’t get lost in the weeds of the small sample of games where George Kittle, Deebo Samuel, and Aiyuk played together. 

Brandon Aiyuk is the next star receiver in the NFL.

Brandon Aiyuk may be unstoppable

I love projections. I do my own every single year and they’ve helped me tremendously when preparing rankings and tiers heading into each season.

However, we can sometimes get lost in our spreadsheets when trying to dole out volume based on historical trends of an offense. What we fail to properly account for is a player can sometimes be so far superior to previous cohorts at his position that he changes the way volume is distributed.

Brandon Aiyuk might just be that good.

49ers Webzone @49erswebzone

From yesterday: #49ers receiver feels Brandon Aiyuk is on the cusp of being 'unguardable'

https://twitter.com/49erswebzone/status/1421100775166685196?s=21

Aiyuk has drawn rave reviews as a true chore to cover in camp. Jason Verrett, the man charged with this task, compared him to Julio Jones after a practice ... another player who altered the volume distribution for a Kyle Shanahan offense.

Aiyuk is already coming off a season where he led the team with 96 targets and instantly showed to be a beast route-runner with explosive traits. Don’t get lost in the weeds of the small sample of games where George Kittle, Deebo Samuel, and Aiyuk played together. 

Brandon Aiyuk is the next star receiver in the NFL

100% this. Targets are earned. Brandon Aiyuk is going to earn a lot of targets, his success rate versus man and versus press is elite. Full route tree.

Green means go. This guy should be targeted in all formats. 

Rankings are always so conservative, anyone who thinks this a WR25 guy hasn’t watched him play. You should start thinking about taking him right after the Rams receivers bubble up on your cheat sheet/DD.

Jimmy G to Aiyuk, you've got me with you. This other guy, Lance, not so much, I see nothing from him that's even remotely better than Jimmy G. nothing. it's all about Jimmy G's salary. isn't it $24 mil?? means the boy blunder , Kyle Shanahan, who blew the SB against NE with a 28 pt lead, will have to coach this kid up to make him a starter. Y'alls have too much faith in this bozo.

I haven't seen anything in this kid to even think he's trade-up candidate in the NFL draft. I think John Lynch has clearly taken one too many shots to the head in his NFL career, and his boy-toy Shanahan might be one of the most overrated coaches in the history of overrated coaches. not buying it. I'm cool on the SF offense, especially with Lance at QB. starting him makes them a sub .500 team,plain and simple. they're probably 11 wins with JG, 6-7 with Lance, missing the playoffs..Rookie QBs struggle. they have a team that can compete now , this kid isn't seeing the light of day until Jimmy G falters big time.

Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) remained sidelined on Thursday. 

Aiyuk was proclaimed to have a "slight" hamstring issue six days ago. It is smart of the 49ers not to force the issue with opening day still 10 days away, though it would obviously be preferable for Aiyuk to be out there. As long as he is ready by next Wednesday, his Week 1 status is not in doubt. 

Sep 2, 2021, 3:26 PM ET

49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) returned to practice Monday.

He was used as a punt return option on Monday, his first practice in 10 days' time. Meanwhile Jalen Hurd was unavailable while he continues to be eased back into the offense as a full-time player. Assuming his participation continues throughout the week, Aiyuk should be considered a full go as a low-end WR2 for Sunday's season opener against Detroit.

Sep 6, 2021, 2:09 PM ET

Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) is practicing in full for Week 1 against the Lions.

Aiyuk was full on both Wednesday and Thursday following his late-camp hamstring scare. It could be a quieter week for the Niners' passing attack as they seem likely to impose their will on the Lions on the ground, while we aren't entirely sure how the targets might shake out with Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel and George Kittle all healthy at the same time, something that was a rarity in 2020. Aiyuk is an upside WR3. 

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter 

Sep 9, 2021, 5:46 PM ET

Matt Maiocco @MaioccoNBCS

Trent Sherfield is the first WR to pair with Deebo Samuel. He simply out-performed Brandon Aiyuk in camp to earn the spot.
https://twitter.com/maiocconbcs/status/1437103964756058112?s=21

Matt Maiocco @MaioccoNBCS

After a hot start to training camp, Brandon Aiyuk tailed off dramatically. He is still learning how to be a pro. Kyle Shanahan, clearly, favors some of the other WRs right now. Message sent.
https://twitter.com/maiocconbcs/status/1437117185344909312?s=21

The tweets in response are pretty funny.

Brandon Aiyuk wasn't targeted in the 49ers' Week 1 win over the Lions.

Trent Sherfield started opposite Deebo Samuel and caught a five-yard touchdown from Trey Lance in the first quarter. Coach Kyle Shanahan said Sherfield's impressive camp coupled with Aiyuk's missed time with a hamstring issue contributed to Aiyuk playing a backup role. There's no way we can trust Aiyuk for fantasy purposes next week against the Eagles.

Aiyuk 0 really hurt today. Especially when combined with Fitzpatrick or Rodgers. So brutal. I still have a bunch of matchups I can win tomorrow but I can't imagine getting off to a worse start than this. It's just one week. Dang.

Aiyuk 0 really hurt today. Especially when combined with Fitzpatrick or Rodgers. So brutal. I still have a bunch of matchups I can win tomorrow but I can't imagine getting off to a worse start than this. It's just one week. Dang.
What's going on here.

He came off the questionable tag on Friday, I assume, and now back to questionable per my yahoo league

was he hurt the whole time?

possibly - Waldman Tweeted after the game Shanny didn’t think he was healthy enough t be the starter.

that differs from other reports who quoted Shanahan said Trent Sheford outplayed Aiyuk all summer...maybe those are both parsed quotes IDK. I do remember Dante Pettis (2nd rounde) had a promising rookie year then Kyle froze him out. I’d like to think that can’t happen again but I don’t think they care about draft capital (Aiyuk was a late 1st.)

also, Mitchell plays ST & Sermon does not, was probably a factor in the healthy scratch. again, just repeating a Waldman observation,  i haven’t watched the presser yet.

At what point does the SF training staff or practice style get held accountable for the injuries and Shanny doesn't just doesn't get to write guys off as "not tough enough"?  I'm starting to get weary of teams that just mount up countless injuries over the years.  I wish there were analyst that tracked which training staffs were with which franchises year-to-year, cuz this stuff isn't a coincidence.  There are ways to train to help prevent injury and it sure seems like certain teams ignore it.

the 49ers screwed a lot of people yesterday between this and sermon

my understanding from what i read was that he had been outplayed and had not shown enough

Aiyuk and Pittman Jr floored out. RIP this week's matchup. 

Watching any developments re Aiyuk but wary with him not being used at all while the team scored 41. 😬

https://twitter.com/nflrums/status/1437439726924046345?s=10

“NBC Sports' Matt Maiocco said #49ers Brandon Aiyuk "tailed off dramatically" during training camp and is "still learning how to be a pro." #NFL”

That’s my WR1. 
that information might have been useful BEFORE THE GAME

Matt is a 49ers beat writer. His take on the backfield a few days ago:

—Second-year running back JaMycal Hasty made the 53-man roster. But, right now, he is an insurance policy for the team. There is not a specific role for him, so he is a candidate to be inactive on game days. Raheem Mostert and Trey Sermon are the team's top running backs. Rookie Elijah Mitchell could handle kick returns and mix into the action as a third-down back.

#nailedit

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread