What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chase Claypool, MIA (2 Viewers)

The only reason to hesitate on redraft is he was apparently covered by a linebacker often yesterday.  Pls I don’t think it was even a starting LB for philly.  

not a reason to hesitate adding him - just on how aggressively
Claypool was only covered a few times by an LB,  one being the game winning TD.  

He did plenty of damage against Philly's corners, including Slay. His big day should NOT be dismissed as "oh, he was covered by LBs."  Claypool has looked incredible all season, he was just finally included into the game plan.  It will be fun to watch him going forward.  

You just don't see guys as tall & heavy as him be so sudden. He also plays close to his track speed. Claypool is developing rapidly. He beat Slay with both technique & athletic ability (several times).

It'll be interesting to see what kind of production Claypool has this season, but you can't even see his ceiling it's so high.

Where would he go in a PPR dynasty rookie drafts today? I’d still take CEH, Taylor and Lamb over him. Maybe Swift and Dobbins. 

He did plenty of damage against Philly's corners, including Slay. His big day should NOT be dismissed as "oh, he was covered by LBs."  Claypool has looked incredible all season, he was just finally included into the game plan.  It will be fun to watch him going forward.  
That first catch of the year was really spectacular. And his college highlights were full of body control plays like that. Really like him, wish I had him in more leagues.

His 85 yard TD catch was also against a Denver CB (not a good one, to be fair).

I imagine late 1st or early 2nd. I got him at 3.01 pre-season
Maybe I’m too bullish, but I couldn't imagine him lasting until the 2nd round today. He’s the highest scoring flex eligible rookie per game in PPR leagues. Most of it is from one game, but he was also robbed of an additional 10 points or so. 

I think it's somewhat safe to say most WRs may never have a game like this again for fantasy purposes
No doubt! I was just inspired to re-watch Joe Horn's 4 TD game. I remember that coming 1 week too late... I was knocked out of the playoffs the week before.

Maybe I’m too bullish, but I couldn't imagine him lasting until the 2nd round today. He’s the highest scoring flex eligible rookie per game in PPR leagues. Most of it is from one game, but he was also robbed of an additional 10 points or so. 
CEH, Taylor, Lamb

Jeudy, Jefferson

Dobbins, Swift, Akers, Gibson, Robinson

Ruggs, Higgins, Shenault, Claypool

Late 1st/Early 2nd feels right. These tiers are in my preferred order, but there’s not much difference inside each one. 

Maybe the Steelers know what they are doing here. I'm not sure if I could be more wrong than I was about this guy.

He couldn't beat out Miles Boykin man.

Looks extremely explosive on those pitches and screens inside the ten yard line. Obviously defenses will adjust, but so far they have had no answers for this guy on his limited touches. Kudos to the Steelers for scheming him well so far.

tangfoot said:
CEH, Taylor, Lamb

Jeudy, Jefferson

Dobbins, Swift, Akers, Gibson, Robinson

Ruggs, Higgins, Shenault, Claypool

Late 1st/Early 2nd feels right. These tiers are in my preferred order, but there’s not much difference inside each one. 
I dunno, I'd definitely have him ahead of Swift, Akers, Gibson and Robinson. Possibly not Dobbins but maybe. I'd absolutely take him over Jeudy and Jefferson who I just see as a career WR2 types. So I'd put him as a top 5 rookie pick if we drafted today. 

with a pending waivers move and both Claypool and Marvin Jones both available, which one would you all prefer to have and why?  

Fantasy Football Believe It or Not: Chase Claypool's stealing JuJu Smith-Schuster's spotlight?

Chase Claypool is the top waiver wire add and a Fantasy starter in Week 6.

Claypool was the star of Week 5 with seven catches for 110 yards and three touchdowns on 11 targets. He also ran the ball three times for 6 yards and another score. It was an historic outing from the second-round rookie, and his roster rate (38%) all but assures he'll be the most added player when waivers run this week. But you shouldn't just add him, you should immediately get him in your lineup for Week 6. 

Verdict: Believe it.

The first part is a cinch. Forget about the touchdowns for a second. He's been building towards something. In Week 2 he caught all three of his targets, including an 84-yard touchdown. Last week the numbers weren't there, but he did play 76% of the snaps. Then in Week 5 it came all together. You just can't leave that type of profile on the waiver wire, especially when it's a high-profile rookie in his fourth career game. 

The starting part is more complicated. We do have the Saints, Seahawks, and Raiders on a bye. And there are still a ton of high-profile receivers whose health is in doubt. Claypool won't have the projection of a Fantasy starter unless Diontae Johnson misses Week 6, but he's now shown enormous upside in two of his four games. It would be very difficult to bench him unless you have great options at receiver.

with a pending waivers move and both Claypool and Marvin Jones both available, which one would you all prefer to have and why?  
jesus man.  One is the waiver pickup of the week and one is being dropped everywhere.

Claypool is good, but I'm worried about him when the defenses plan for him. Even DK Metcalf failed to get 1000 yards last year in his rookie season, and had only 7 TDs. Expectations are too high, the Steelers have lots of other good weapons.

I'm a longtime Jones truther, but he isn't going to win your league for you. Claypool might not either, probably not really. But he has a strong chance to and they aren't going to start ignoring him all of a sudden. 

jesus man.  One is the waiver pickup of the week and one is being dropped everywhere.
seriously though i've seen this and must have missed the news. is stafford messed up? seems an odd drop to me in many leagues. guess i need to read up.

It seems like the Steelers have had a different RB and WR step up just about each week, great thing for the team but ugly for fantasy owners. The great plus on Claypool is he doesn't need much volume to be a WR3 with upside for WR1/2 any week. In four games he's already shown he's going to be a huge factor in the red zone and will also break off big chunks of yardage on short and deep routes. Also encouraging to see Matt Canada adding his skills on jet-sweeps, etc. Claypool made a comment before the bye week that he was ready for more, he knows all the plays and can line up anywhere so he shouldn't have limitations that many rookies do. Seems like a great WR3 moving forward this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like the Steelers have had a different RB and WR step up just about each week, great thing for the team but ugly for fantasy owners. The great plus on Claypool is he doesn't need much volume to be a WR3 with upside for WR1/2 any week. In four games he's already shown he's going to be a huge factor in the red zone and will also break off big chunks of yardage on short and deep routes. Also encouraging to see Matt Canada adding his skills on jet-sweeps, etc. Claypool made a comment before the bye week that he was ready for more, he knows all the plays and can line up anywhere so he shouldn't have limitations that many rookies do. Seems like a great WR3 moving forward this year.
Ben will take advantage of matchups and playmakers like Mapletron will have some plays designed to get the ball in his hands.  Notice how Pittsburgh moved him around outside inside and in motion. He’s a matchup problem.

When defenses over commit resources to take him out, there are plenty of weapons like Ebron, Washington and JJSS who can exploit the coverage shifts.

Diontae is phenomenal at creating separation on his own and will be a highly targeted option. He might benefit the most as teams are more likely to double team Claypool.

For those who want a source, this is my personal opinion. Feel free to dismiss and move on.

Claypool and I don’t think it’s close. Good body control, 6’4” 238 super freak, great combine numbers. Had another TD called back for OPI. The last TD was the only one I saw where a LB was across from him.

Who knows about his usage going forward. Probably be up and down like any other non-elite WR but every so often it pans out.

Something is not right about MJJ. He’s dead last in separation but that’s kind of a non-story, he never gets space. He makes contested catches - when he was younger he was mostly 9 routes but he evolved after coming to the D. I don’t have any confidence Bevell will make it a priority to integrate him. That offense is going to be centered around Golladay, Hock, and wheel routes to Swift, with slants to old man Amendola sprinkled in.

Here were his targets to receptions differentials with Golladay out: 8/4, 6/4. With Golladay in: 3/3, 2/1. Hasn’t topped 55 yards. Historically he’s been boom/bust and his booms were epic - 200 yard game, couple 4TD games - but IMO he’s cuttable in redraft.

I'm a longtime Jones truther, but he isn't going to win your league for you. Claypool might not either, probably not really. But he has a strong chance to and they aren't going to start ignoring him all of a sudden. 

seriously though i've seen this and must have missed the news. is stafford messed up? seems an odd drop to me in many leagues. guess i need to read up.
4 for 55 was his biggest game of the year.  All this was with Golladay out who should be back soon.  I don't see any way I'd start Marvin this year but definitely would start Claypool, especially with an injury to EITHER juju or dionte.

4 for 55 was his biggest game of the year.  All this was with Golladay out who should be back soon.  I don't see any way I'd start Marvin this year but definitely would start Claypool, especially with an injury to EITHER juju or dionte.
Golladay has been back for two weeks before being on bye this week.

With his athletic profile and early production, Claypool is just behind Lamb for me. Which puts him in the conversation for top 10 dynasty WR

With his athletic profile and early production, Claypool is just behind Lamb for me. Which puts him in the conversation for top 10 dynasty WR
Depends how far down the line you're looking. What are juju and dionte contracts like?  And how long will be be there?

It looks like WR inconsistency for the Pittsburgh group. In my 16-team league, I'm #3 on the waiver list, and both Claypool and Dalton are likely to be claimed before my chance. If I had Claypool, he wouldn't start over Parker or AJ, so he'd be competing with my #3, Boyd. Better to be #1 on the waiver wire and wait for the possibility of a #1a/b running back. Even DK Metcalf as a rookie only had 900 yards and 7 TDs.

Even DK Metcalf as a rookie only had 900 yards and 7 TDs.
This is the 2nd time I've read this in this thread. 

Who knows anything this year, but I feel pretty confidently that Claypool will best both these stats by season-end; particularly the TDs, since he already has 5 in five games, and was a within a hair of two more, despite only getting legit playing time in the last two games, and legit looks in just the last one... You know, the one where he scored four times.  :lmao:

This offense has too many other weapons, which will keep defenses honest and allow CC to continue feasting. I see a fantasy WR2+ ROS, with WR1 upside. I don't mean a fantasy WR1; I mean the fantasy WR1. Odds are against that in dude's rookie year, but not as much as you should rationally think, in this particular case, IMHO.

#CreamRises #MapletronProblems #EarToTheGround #HandOnTheWire #100FAAB

This is the 2nd time I've read this in this thread. 

Who knows anything this year, but I feel pretty confidently that Claypool will best both these stats by season-end; particularly the TDs, since he already has 5 in five games, and was a within a hair of two more, despite only getting legit playing time in the last two games, and legit looks in just the last one... You know, the one where he scored four times.  :lmao:

This offense has too many other weapons, which will keep defenses honest and allow CC to continue feasting. I see a fantasy WR2+ ROS, with WR1 upside. I don't mean a fantasy WR1; I mean the fantasy WR1. Odds are against that in dude's rookie year, but not as much as you should rationally think, in this particular case, IMHO.

#CreamRises #MapletronProblems #EarToTheGround #HandOnTheWire #100FAAB
It's possible, but Metcalf did have Russell Wilson throwing to him. Ben has made speed receivers relevant, but Claypools size makes him more than just a speed guy.

How was Claypool during camp? Was he wowing the Steelers?

How was Claypool during camp? Was he wowing the Steelers?
Beyond wowing. Googles it. Dude has been absolutely dominating the NFL field, pretty much every day he's been on it. How this guy slipped to day 2 and WR pick 11 is beyond me. But he wears #11 and I don't think that's only b/c 11 looks fast. :)

I’ve got a massive bid in on him and hope to land him. If i do I’ll most likely start him over Singletary in my flex. 0.5 ppr

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t need a WR but I’m using my #1 waiver on him because I think I can get a better RB trading him or my other WR than waiting for a back up RB on waivers. Cream of the crop use of waiver. 
At least I hope

Users who are viewing this thread