What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chase Claypool, MIA (1 Viewer)

Sanders?  Maybe a little less?
Really? Wow. That seems high and I’m all in on him. I’m thinking More like Montgomery or DJ. 

I offered chase to the bell owner today who is a major Pittsburgh homer and he declined. 0.5 ppr 

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Wow. That seems high and I’m all in on him. I’m thinking More like Montgomery or DJ. 

I offered chase to the bell owner today who is a major Pittsburgh homer and he declined. 0.5 ppr 
Right now the best I’m getting is Gibson. Forgot to mention it’s redraft.  Good?

Could be. I probably wouldn’t trade him for Montgomery but would for Sanders. So the answer is somewhere in between for me. 

Ain’t in the biz to buy high and sell low.
While I agree this is a bad practice I think you still want to get the best player in the deal and in this case I think Claypool has a brighter future than Akers does. The Rams seem to be serious about RBBC and I don't think Akers is better than Henderson.

I was very wrong about Claypool and I ranked him really low compared to the rest of the rookie class (towards the end of tier two). I still have some concerns about how long Big Ben can play and what happens if he can't anymore, but Claypool is showing himself to be a star WR that could be very productive even without Ben. The way Claypool is scoring seems sustainable and some of it like the jet sweeps and WR screens do not take great QB play to execute. The deep ball accuracy is important but Claypool is scoring in other ways as well.

I think the biggest flaw in my pre NFL draft analysis of Claypool was that he didn't really produce until his last season in college and the guy ahead of him Myles Boykin is athletic but not a very good WR. So my logic was he coudnt earn playing time over Boykin, that means he must not be very good at football, because Boykin isn't good. Then when watching Claypool with ND I did not see anything exceptional in his play. He looked slow and more similar to a TE prospect to me than a WR.

BUT college teams have different agendas about who gets playing time unlike the NFL. At some point I think the goal is about winning and to win you play your best players. The college coaches do start players because of seniority and other things besides who is the best on the football field, and the way college coaches use these players very different than how they will be used in the NFL.

I expected Claypool to take longer to develop and start producing than it has. I thought he might start putting up numbers in 2021 maybe 2022. He is obviously way ahead of schedule on that front and so my low ranking of him needs to change because of that. Before the season began I was thinking Claypool wouldn't do much and you could buy him at a discount later if you wanted him. Nope. 

I am reluctant to change my rankings that were meant for these players first 3 seasons after only 5 games. However I think Claypool has top 12 WR upside now, where as I only considered him a tier two upside player in my previous ranking.

I think he is worth more than Akers now though and if I do rank these players again Claypool would be right there with Justin Jefferson and ahead of Akers.

Fleecing, in my opinion.
Its a 12 team standard scoring (redraft). Our league as a whole hordes RB, so depth is hard to get. I think Swift will be more relevant as the season goes on. Still think I got the better end, but not as bad as it seems for our particular league settings. 

He is going to get a lot of attention from the Browns defense this week. If he can handle being game planned for, I will be all in. 
Denzel Ward has reportedly been playing great. But he is giving up 5 inches and almost 50 pounds to Claypool. Throw it up there Ben!

They were moving Claypool around a bit in formation last week. Is Ward a shadow corner? 

I expect a lot of safety help. Should free up Juju
I’m not really sure if he follows guys all over on the outside. I think he did against AJG in their game. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t follow into the slot but read somewhere that CC didn’t play much slot last week. Maybe a Browns fan can chime in. Greedy is bigger but he’s not as good as Ward. I’d prefer him on Claypool.

He is going to get a lot of attention from the Browns defense this week. If he can handle being game planned for, I will be all in. 
This is where I am right now.  I’ve got JJefferson, Hardman, and shenault to pick between for that 3rd WR slot, and I’m heavily favored in this weeks matchup.  I’ll play it safe this time.

Otherwise, very optimistic on long term prospects.

Just acquired him in a 12 team ppr dynasty:
Gave Andrews, Ruggs, Gaskin
Got Lamb, Claypool, McFarland

Assuming Ruggs/Clay and Gaskin/McF basically cancel out - Gasking obviously more current value - then Andrews is pretty much worth Lamb i.e. mid first. I guess that's even?

That said, I'd much rather have the Lamb/Clay side. Full disclosure: might be biased Raven hate though.

Assuming Ruggs/Clay and Gaskin/McF basically cancel out - Gasking obviously more current value - then Andrews is pretty much worth Lamb i.e. mid first. I guess that's even?

That said, I'd much rather have the Lamb/Clay side. Full disclosure: might be biased Raven hate though.
Think it balanced out pretty fair - something I like to do with trade offers.  

Already owned Kittle, but had bought Andrews cheap (P. Campbell + the pick that turned into Mac) from same owner in the offseason.  Liked the idea of moving him back to get what I believe will be my future WR1 as (if?) Hopkins ages out in Lamb.  Claypool has that nice AB upshot ceiling, and it was a way to hedge the Dionte share I have in my other dynasty league.  Might be a slight buy high on both these rooks as Andrews looks like a rock solid top 3 dynasty TE and Ruggs might turn into what we all hoped Desean Jackson was going to - but Lamb and Claypool more than pass the eye + situation test to me this early on.

I’m not really sure if he follows guys all over on the outside. I think he did against AJG in their game. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t follow into the slot but read somewhere that CC didn’t play much slot last week. Maybe a Browns fan can chime in. Greedy is bigger but he’s not as good as Ward. I’d prefer him on Claypool.
Greedy is on IR.  Bro-in-law lives in Cleveland. Said they do a pretty good job outside the numbers but are terrible over the middle with poor safety play and slow LBs

Just acquired him in a 12 team ppr dynasty:
Gave Andrews, Ruggs, Gaskin
Got Lamb, Claypool, McFarland

Total win for you.  I like Andrews but Lamb is a top 2 WR in dynasty and Claypool is worth more imo than Ruggs or Gaskins 

Greedy is on IR.  Bro-in-law lives in Cleveland. Said they do a pretty good job outside the numbers but are terrible over the middle with poor safety play and slow LBs
Ooooh you’re right, I thought I saw him as questionable. I did read somewhere they are very bad against the slot.

We all know the saying in fantasy football, ya can't chase points. But in this case, I'm chasing Chase Claypool for points. Start 3 WR's and Claypool looking good in a Flex position. I am thoroughly impressed. Yes, a natural regression must occur, right...

Even 5 catches for 76 yards and no score is not a bad floor. Upside tremendous. He's crashed through the ceiling.

Drunken Cowboy said:
Browns have the 30th ranked pass defense and the Steelers have other weapons. 

I am starting him over Moore, Chark, Boyd, and Slayton
Tough calls. Boyd has produced well in 3 of the last 4 game - Baltimore shut down the team. CBSSports has them about equal - 10.2 for Boyd, 9.8 for Chasepool.

There is a chance the Steelers completely shutdown the Browns and don't need to throw very much.

Users who are viewing this thread