What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Mulaney Joke About Assassinating Trump - How OK? (1 Viewer)

Mulaney Joke About Assassinating Trump? How OK?

• Completely OK

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • Mostly OK

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Mostly Not OK

Votes: 15 15.5%
  • Completely Not OK

Votes: 38 39.2%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
John Mulaney with his opening monologue on SNL. 

https://youtu.be/jRLH8E_CpP0

At about 3:25

Leap Year began in 45 B.C. under Julius Caesar. This is true, he started the leapyear in order to correct the calendar and we still do it today.

Another thing that happened under Julius Caesar, he was such a powerful maniac that all the senators grabbed knives and they stabbed him to death. That would be an interesting thing if we brought that back now.
How OK is this in your opinion?

Not whether it was funny or not. How OK do you think it is to make a joke like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it’s generally been acceptable in the public discourse for decades for private citizens to joke about how the President should die various types of horrible death. So I guess it’s OK in the sense of our country’s general viewpoint that people do that.  

I don’t think it’s very good for the country that people make those jokes, which makes it not OK in that sense. 

I voted on the fence, but after watching it I'm A) OK with the joke and B) a little bit of a fan of Mulany now. Never heard of him before. He seems like a little bit of a classic stand up that I didn't think was done any more. I didn't laugh but a couple times I thought "that's funny".

Groucho Marx once joked in an interview that “the only hope” for the country was if Nixon gets assassinated. Early 70s. It’s been a pretty regular thing. 

I voted on the fence, but after watching it I'm A) OK with the joke and B) a little bit of a fan of Mulany now. Never heard of him before. He seems like a little bit of a classic stand up that I didn't think was done any more. I didn't laugh but a couple times I thought "that's funny".
Mulaney’s fantastic. Netflix has several of his specials. 

Joke email that was going around during the ‘08 election:

September 19, 2008

To: John Hinckley

My wife and I wanted to drop you a short note to tell you how pleased we are with the great strides you are making in your recovery. In our fine country’s new spirit of understanding and forgiveness, we want you to know there is a bilateral consensus of compassion and forgiveness throughout.

My wife Cindy and I want you to know that no grudge is borne against you for shooting President Reagan. We, above all, are aware of how the mental stress and pain could have driven you to such an act of desperation. We are confident that you will soon make a complete recovery and return to your family to join the world again as a healthy and productive young man.

Best Wishes,

John and Cindy McCain

PS: Barack Obama has been humping Jodie Foster.

I thought you should know.

In very poor taste but not surprising given the extreme reactions of the Left to absolutely anything Trump. 
There is, for good or ill, nothing really extreme about people joking about the death of the President. Hasn’t been extreme for a long time. 

I went mostly not ok.  Had the joke been funny, I would have gone with ok.  A funny dark humor joke directed at Trump is fine. Wanting to write an anti-trump joke and forcing the punchline comes off as hackish.

Mulaney is better than that. 

There is, for good or ill, nothing really extreme about people joking about the death of the President. Hasn’t been extreme for a long time. 
I disagree.

I'd hope that in the cases you mentioned, most people thought it was not ok. Same as it's not ok to make jokes about murdering any person.

I disagree.

I'd hope that in the cases you mentioned, most people thought it was not ok. Same as it's not ok to make jokes about murdering any person.
Is it not okay to make jokes about murder? Maybe it shouldn’t be. I think there are thousands upon thousands of jokes about murder.  People jokingly talk about killing people all the time. It seems to me to be a perfectly acceptable discussion point in our culture. I wouldn’t say that’s a good thing, but it’s a thing.  

Ever heard of the very popular game “Marry/F***/Kill”?

Can you elaborate?
Joe I’m so serious about some stuff I know it’s funny, I can laugh at myself, believe me. - Given that, considering the comp above, celebrities joking about the killing of Presidents is unfunny. Electing a celebrity who joked about the killing of Presidents as president is unforgivable. 

I don’t know what else to say, except that we should be supporting our democratic institutions to the absolute max these days. For people who oppose Trump I think this is counterproductive.

This included?
I didn’t see this, just read it. The line is pretty dumb reading it. Maybe as part of his whole bit it was better.

The opening with Pence, all the Dems candidates was funny although not as good as the debate one from a week or so ago. That was really, really great I thought.

SNL has been consistently good making fun of politicians and the weekend update thing which covers political issues, current event is always best part of the show for me.

To the issue you are highlighting here - joking about “killing the Pres” (or anyone) is mostly ok with me. Needs to be well crafted, have a point to rise above being stupid or hacky. 

The whole monologue was not that tight honestly.  Seemed like some stuff he had been workshopping for future use and he just decided to roll it out.  Last time he hosted, he used a bunch of honed stuff from his prior special.

Joe I’m so serious about some stuff I know it’s funny, I can laugh at myself, believe me. - Given that, considering the comp above, celebrities joking about the killing of Presidents is unfunny. Electing a celebrity who joked about the killing of Presidents as president is unforgivable. 

I don’t know what else to say, except that we should be supporting our democratic institutions to the absolute max these days. For people who oppose Trump I think this is counterproductive.
Thanks GB.

:confused:  Hosting Saturday Night Live is a pretty big deal. 
I'm sure it's me being out of the pop culture loop, but I've literally never heard that name before.

All schtick aside, given what comes out of the President and his Admin's mouth day after day -- and the POWER those guys have -- what's your angle on bringing this kind of thing up over and over when it's said by people who have so little (at least relatively)?

I had more thoughts here, but don't want to assume I know the answer.

That’s your opinion, and one many disagree with although probably not in here as extreme reactions are the norm. 

if SNL joked about Obama dying in the same manner please share as I would be interested in comparing. 

That’s your opinion, and one many disagree with although probably not in here as extreme reactions are the norm. 

if SNL joked about Obama dying in the same manner please share as I would be interested in comparing. 
There’s 2 instances brought up in here of Trump “joking” or condoning people talking about Obama’s death. 

I'm sure it's me being out of the pop culture loop, but I've literally never heard that name before.

All schtick aside, given what comes out of the President and his Admin's mouth day after day -- and the POWER those guys have -- what's your angle on bringing this kind of thing up over and over when it's said by people who have so little (at least relatively)?

I had more thoughts here, but don't want to assume I know the answer.
My thought was trying to see what you guys thought about it. I try my best to say what I really mean when I post.  :shrug:

You're welcome to share your thoughts on it. It's why I asked. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s 2 instances brought up in here of Trump “joking” or condoning people talking about Obama’s death. 
Not interested in the gymnastics gone through to create that conclusion, please provide SNL or something similarly popular on mainstream TV?

Users who are viewing this thread