What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buttigieg and Klobachur Exits - How Coordinated? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
With Buttigieg and Klobuchar now exiting the race, it made me wonder how much of this is coordinated?

I guess it caught my eye a little as the candidates have put in all the work up to this point and one would think the best thing for them would be to just go ahead and stay in through tomorrow and see how it goes.

And when someone does something that looks to not be in their best self interests, I often ask why they're doing it. 

Do you think either candidate was influenced by the leaders in the Democratic party to exit? 

Was Biden or Bloomberg or another candidate influential in them leaving? 

Do you think it was them acting independently for what they felt was their own best interests?

Do you think it was them acting independently for what they felt was the best interests of the party?

I'm not suggesting anything at all like a conspiracy theory or anything negative in the least. 

I'd have zero issue if Joe Biden promised one of them a VP spot or cabinet spot in exchange for their support. Or if the leaders of the Democratic party asked them to step aside to give clarity for voters.

I just have no idea if that kind of thing regularly happens of if people thought it was happening here. 

I think there is pressure whether explicit or not. It was reported yesterday that Buttigieg and Biden campaigns talked about consolidating, but don't know if that was before or after he left the race. If you want a future in the party, they are both smart enough to know there's more political capital i not helping Sanders to the nomination once you can tell there is no path for you. Which is what staying in for Super Tuesday would probably do. Too bad about all of the wasted mail in votes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted this in the main Pete thread but one of his political consultants is saying as much on his Facebook page

Maybe it's true, maybe it's sour grapes who knows
I wouldn't be surprised if Obama made that call nor the DNC cut some funding to Pete. Its doing what it sees as best for the party.

The guy on FB called it "unfair." I don't see how its unfair.

Posted this in the main Pete thread but one of his political consultants is saying as much on his Facebook page

Maybe it's true, maybe it's sour grapes who knows
Thanks. From the link:

Former President Obama called Pete and asked him to step aside to make way for Joe Biden and help stop Bernie Sanders. Pete said no and then went public with his defiance. The DNC then pulled his funding, forcing him out of the race. So many Bernie supporters seem happy about Pete's exit, but they should all be aware, there's a huge DNC funded machine acting to stop Bernie just like 2016. Even worse than 2016, they are actively spending against Bernie. It's not fair for any of the candidates. The DNC and Obama should butt out and Tom Perez needs to resign.
Do people believe this is factual? 

Did Buttigieg "go public with his defiance" as the post says? I didn't see that.

Although I could easily see this happening where the party asks people to step aside to clear the way for the candidate they prefer. 

Just didn't know if it really happened much. 

I think they saw the writing on the wall, and decided that it was a futile effort. I have no idea on whether or not they were pressured into it, but I do question the apparent decision to have only old white guys running. There seriously isn't anyone born after the Eisenhower administration that could run?

Neither of them had any remotely realistic path to the nomination.  Both had to be nearly out of cash.  Why bother death-marching this thing any further?

I don't think these were at all coordinated, just correlated.  Two weak candidates (unfortunately so IMO) ran out of money and dropped out around the time that this sort of candidate normally drops out.

I think they saw the writing on the wall, and decided that it was a futile effort. I have no idea on whether or not they were pressured into it, but I do question the apparent decision to have only old white guys running. There seriously isn't anyone born after the Eisenhower administration that could run?
A lot of them ran. They just didn't win.

Neither of them had any remotely realistic path to the nomination.  Both had to be nearly out of cash.  Why bother death-marching this thing any further?

I don't think these were at all coordinated, just correlated.  Two weak candidates (unfortunately so IMO) ran out of money and dropped out around the time that this sort of candidate normally drops out.
Agreed.  At least the next debate will be more focused. 

I look forward to seeing Super Tuesday's results!

How much more money would it have cost them to stay in the race one more day?  IMO, it's all moot anyway because none of these Democrats will beat Trump.  He will wipe the floor with them on the debate stage.  

I stand corrected, but I still would like to know why that's the case. Is it because old white guys look better on money, or something?
Yea I don't get it. I said from the beginning that I thought Cory Booker was a great candidate. No idea why he didn't gain traction, for example.

I guess it caught my eye a little as the candidates have put in all the work up to this point and one would think the best thing for them would be to just go ahead and stay in through tomorrow and see how it goes.

And when someone does something that looks to not be in their best self interests, I often ask why they're doing it. 

Do you think either candidate was influenced by the leaders in the Democratic party to exit?
This may be a questionable assumption. For one thing being honest with the voters is in their self interest. Staying in then dropping out right after and knowing you will be dropping out would not be fair to anyone, no matter how well you do. For another campaign finance is the problem - the guy who got the most delegates in IA and who is 3rd in the delegate race had to get out because he did not have enough money to go on. Klobuchar never had Buttigieg's success but she did pretty well in NH.  These candidates also have bright futures, they don't want to be known as having helped fracture the party.

And yes the party probably applied some pressure and maybe gave some incentives but then this field has over the course of time had something like 25 candidates in it. This was not a limited open field prearranged to protect one candidate like 2016.

I'm sure Trump loves and pushes this narrative btw because he wants to recreate that rubric from 2016 where he got to claim things were fixed, rigged.

I don't think coordinated.  They really had no path to the nomination.  Biden has not ruled out only serving one term.  They are both young relative to the remaining candidates, and VP is a viable path for them -- we're in the "suck up to Biden and try to get VP to position for 2024" stage of the campaign.

Thanks. From the link:

Did Buttigieg "go public with his defiance" as the post says? I didn't see that.

Although I could easily see this happening where the party asks people to step aside to clear the way for the candidate they prefer. 

Just FYI, that post from a “Buttigieg consultant” is almost certainly phony.

Of course it is. Neither had a shot at SC. Yet Amy will/would win her state tomorrow. She not only drops out but immediately endorses Biden. There is only one logical explanation. 

I don't think coordinated.  They really had no path to the nomination.  Biden has not ruled out only serving one term.  They are both young relative to the remaining candidates, and VP is a viable path for them -- we're in the "suck up to Biden and try to get VP to position for 2024" stage of the campaign.
Not going to happen for either one. That said,.if Biden gets the nomination and wants to guarantee a win over Trump, he'd shock everyone and pick Bernie as VP. Never happen either though.

Thanks. From the link:

Just FYI, that post from a “Buttigieg consultant” is almost certainly phony.
Without reading anything other than what's quoted in Joe's post, I have to agree.  It sounds like a Bernie supporter ranting more than anything.  Either that, or a "political consultant" who's decided to retire from anything related to politics forever.

It is possible they were both offered a role in a Biden White House for an endorsement. This is how primaries work. Neither had a path forward to win. Dropping out now was probably when they have the best leverage to ask for things.

I think Amy is going to be the VP.

Some things I'm very confident of:

Neither Pete nor Amy was going to win and they both knew it. Both were running for the future and accomplished their goals hanging in this long. 

Both see a better future for themselves in a Biden-led democratic party than any other option. 

There are absolutely conversations behind the scenes between DNC/campaigns 

Some things I'm less confident of but suspect:

Both were offered something to get out before Super Tuesday - cabinet, VP, whatever 

Whatever decision either campaign made had little to do with the other and more to do with similar circumstances leading to the same decision. 

I doubt it was coordinated, they shouldn't need the DNC or party leaders to tell them that, as it was obvious that it was pretty much over unless their goal was a contested convention.

They are both young enough to run again and dropping out at this juncture might be the only chance of stopping Bernie, who I see as being as absolute disaster for Democrats across the nation come November. I am sure neither of wanted to have the finger of blame pointed at them in a post mortem look at a Bernie loss.

Not coordinated. And I wouldn’t have wanted to be on Amy’s staff when she got word Mayor Pete was coming.

If you are inferring that the Dems are somehow coordinated enough to pull off something like this you haven't been paying attention the last few years.

How much more money would it have cost them to stay in the race one more day?  IMO, it's all moot anyway because none of these Democrats will beat Trump.  He will wipe the floor with them on the debate stage.  
As long as he doesn't win at the voting booth.

I'm sure Trump loves and pushes this narrative btw because he wants to recreate that rubric from 2016 where he got to claim things were fixed, rigged.
Yep.  

@realDonaldTrump

Pete Buttigieg is OUT. All of his SuperTuesday votes will go to Sleepy Joe Biden. Great timing. This is the REAL beginning of the Dems taking Bernie out of play - NO NOMINATION, AGAIN!
As a Bernie supporter I am okay with this.  If the party doesn't want him as the candidate I will support whoever we choose.

My first thought yesterday was that the DNC is trying to consolidate candidates ASAP.  Generally getting the also-runs out of the race early so that someone ends up with a majority.  If Bernie can't get to a majority as others drop out, that's on him. 

My second thought was "I wonder if Pete and Amy made a deal where they'd both get out at the same time."  It would make sense that they'd both be willing to drop if the other one did too.

If Warren really wants Bernie to advance, she should probably drop as well.

My first thought yesterday was that the DNC is trying to consolidate candidates ASAP.  Generally getting the also-runs out of the race early so that someone ends up with a majority.  If Bernie can't get to a majority as others drop out, that's on him. 

My second thought was "I wonder if Pete and Amy made a deal where they'd both get out at the same time."  It would make sense that they'd both be willing to drop if the other one did too.

If Warren really wants Bernie to advance, she should probably drop as well.
Warren was already polling as viable in California and close to it in Texas before two people dropped out. We're 5 percent of the way through delegates. I think she still wants to win, but if she wants to determine the winner if she loses isn't her best way forward to accumulate as many delegates to bargain with at convention? 

Seems pretty obviously coordinated, IMO. But that shouldn't be very shocking, that's how these things have always gone, right? Doesn't always happen at the same time or without any resistance, but this kind of backroom dealing is one of the few constants of our party system. Does anyone really think that everyone except Bernie and some token opposition in the Democratic party thought Hillary was obviously deserving of the shot at the Presidency in 2016? I'd bet a ton of money that there was back room pressure and coordination in the lead up to that election to consolidate the field, they just did it before things kicked off (and Hillary had a much stronger position within the party to make those 'requests' of others than Biden does this time around). 

The fact that it seems to bother Trump shows who he wants to run against. And it ain't sleepy joe.
There's also the possibility he's following the Russian playbook, knowingly or not, and trying to suppress Bernie supporters' enthusiasm to vote blue should he not be the nominee. That's going to be a huge part of their "support Bernie" strategy. 

Yea I don't get it. I said from the beginning that I thought Cory Booker was a great candidate. No idea why he didn't gain traction, for example.
Because he comes off as fake.  Especially when he tries to show any emotion.  I watched the documentary on him a few years ago and became a bit of a fan but he did nothing this cycle to make me want to back him.  

What's odd is how transparently the DNC betrays its own attempts at something less than transparency. They're leakier than a Republican presidential administration.

Everyone coming out to endorse Biden tonight. Just in time for anyone that hadn’t voted yet in early voting for Super Thursday. Mr. Obama, the phone is for you, sir.

Users who are viewing this thread