What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite Nirvana unplugged cover (1 Viewer)

Favorite Nirvana unplugged cover

• Jesus doesn't want me for a Sunbeam

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • The man who sold the world

Votes: 38 40.0%
  • Plateau

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Oh, me

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Lake of fire

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Where did you sleep last night

Votes: 35 36.8%

• Total voters
Close between Where did you Sleep Last Night and Man Who Sold the World.  Context and aftermath of his life puts the first one as my vote.  

Surprised this isn't a landslide.

https://youtu.be/hEMm7gxBYSc?t=240

From the 4:00 mark to the 5:25 is maybe my favorite piece of music video ever recorded. And the look on Cobain's face at the 4:50 mark may be my favorite few seconds ever for music. I know it sounds melodramatic but for a split second, it looks like he drops the mask and we can all see. So good. Miss that guy.

Leadbelly's original is just as haunting. https://youtu.be/a6yCEsDsGx4

much like the gm/shuke eat off I'm going to hold off my vote until I've re-listened to the album another twenty times. At that point I'll reserve the right to change my vote constantly.

And when I say Where Did You Sleep Last Night was a landslide for me, that's no disrespect to the other songs. I saw this live on MTV and it was a top 3 music moment in my life. 

The Album is all time great. It's just that last song is that awesome. 

One of the only decent Ringer articles ever is a great oral history of this show. 
Yeah, the interlude with him about Leadbelly's guitar and the "shut up" he gives the audience is awesome.

KURDT WHERE DID YOU GO?!

Mark Arm merely lived through heroin to become a packing man in Sub Pop's mail order dept. I love that story more, actually. Mudhoney always the better songwriters and more of their time, IMHO. Yeah, we survived our adolescent fears to grow up and become nobody like you...nobody like you...to deal with our adolescent and adult addictions as life survival demands.

You, on the other hand became something mystifying to some, something angering, something they could paint their own picture onto instead of the reminder that life is for naught but God, RIP...

I'm revisiting the album now, and have wanted to change my vote after nearly every track....

ETA: pretty sure I'm sticking with Where Did You Sleep Last Night 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I was not a big Nirvana fan when this came out.  I thought they were overrated and just a fad.  But when I watched this show, I was blown away at the incredible talent the band had.  It completely opened my eyes to just how great they really were.   I could listen to this album on a loop if I had to and never grow old of it.  

On a side note, the Alice and Chains Unplugged is also amazing.  I was always a fan of them, so there episode didn't "change my mind" like this one did, but still an amazing album.

I think an interesting part of this show was the tension between "Are we watching a super popular band go get too full of themselves and fall apart" vs "These guys really are that different and genius". 

One could make the argument by this time, they were heading into "Van Halen demanding giant bowls of M&Ms backstage with all the brown ones removed by hand". Or the wild stuff you heard about Elvis where power and fame seemed to go to their head. Cobain's cardigan and shirt and tennis shoes plus the black candles were just a little too much. The whole, "I care an insane amount how I look and how I want to look is like I actually don't care" is a danger spot for many. The whole wanting the million dollar guitar from Leadbelly's estate and such sort of played into the "these guys are too rich and famous for their own good".

On the other hand, you can make a pretty convincing case these guys were just who they were. It just so happened who they were completely resonated with a ton of people and they rode it for a short wild ride. That they were immensely talented in not so much a technical sense, but in a soulful way. That their music was less about rock and roll and grunge and more about feeling. 

I remember watching the show live and thinking at first it felt like the uncomfortable part of the movie where band gets off track. About half way through, I'd put all that aside and was all in on these guys were just that good and that's where I've been ever since. 

I think an interesting part of this show was the tension between "Are we watching a super popular band go get too full of themselves and fall apart" vs "These guys really are that different and genius". 

One could make the argument by this time, they were heading into "Van Halen demanding giant bowls of M&Ms backstage with all the brown ones removed by hand". Or the wild stuff you heard about Elvis where power and fame seemed to go to their head. Cobain's cardigan and shirt and tennis shoes plus the black candles were just a little too much. The whole, "I care an insane amount how I look and how I want to look is like I actually don't care" is a danger spot for many. The whole wanting the million dollar guitar from Leadbelly's estate and such sort of played into the "these guys are too rich and famous for their own good".

On the other hand, you can make a pretty convincing case these guys were just who they were. It just so happened who they were completely resonated with a ton of people and they rode it for a short wild ride. That they were immensely talented in not so much a technical sense, but in a soulful way. That their music was less about rock and roll and grunge and more about feeling. 

I remember watching the show live and thinking at first it felt like the uncomfortable part of the movie where band gets off track. About half way through, I'd put all that aside and was all in on these guys were just that good and that's where I've been ever since. 
So would you have considered yourself a big fan of them before this?  I'm just trying to gauge why you thought the way you did.  Because I came in not so much a fan, and I didn't really think any of that.  So I think it's really interesting how different it can be perceived at first..  

The whole wanting the million dollar guitar from Leadbelly's estate and such sort of played into the "these guys are too rich and famous for their own good".
Funny, my takeaway from that (given how much money they were making) is that David Geffen is cheap. 

So would you have considered yourself a big fan of them before this?  I'm just trying to gauge why you thought the way you did.  Because I came in not so much a fan, and I didn't really think any of that.  So I think it's really interesting how different it can be perceived at first..  
Yes. Huge fan before the show. 

And to be more clear, this is often the case fans have with bands having huge success.

You fall in love with a band when nobody knows who they are and everyone kind of makes fun of you for your "weird" music.

Then they become mega stars and the frat guys start to like them and act like they've been long time fans when they can't name 3 songs. 

That's where they were heading into this show. They were huge mega stars wanting million dollar antique guitars. Singing songs about teen angst and not being cool and being left out. That's a REALLY tough spot for a band. 

Last edited by a moderator:
TheIronSheik said:
I was not a big Nirvana fan when this came out.  I thought they were overrated and just a fad.  But when I watched this show, I was blown away at the incredible talent the band had.  It completely opened my eyes to just how great they really were.   I could listen to this album on a loop if I had to and never grow old of it.  

On a side note, the Alice and Chains Unplugged is also amazing.  I was always a fan of them, so there episode didn't "change my mind" like this one did, but still an amazing album.
I also was not a huge fan at the time.  I bought into the whole rivalry thing, and since my favorite band was PJ, I looked down at Nirvana.  When All Apologies was played on a constant loop on alt rock stations I did dig it, but never owned the album until about five years later.  When I gave it a sincere listen, I was instantly amazed.

Side note, a year or so ago I saw a cover show of the Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Alice In Chains Unplugged shows.  Three different bands covering each of them.  If it comes to your town, highly recommended.

I also was not a huge fan at the time.  I bought into the whole rivalry thing, and since my favorite band was PJ, I looked down at Nirvana.  When All Apologies was played on a constant loop on alt rock stations I did dig it, but never owned the album until about five years later.  When I gave it a sincere listen, I was instantly amazed.

Side note, a year or so ago I saw a cover show of the Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Alice In Chains Unplugged shows.  Three different bands covering each of them.  If it comes to your town, highly recommended.
Yeah.  I was a PJ guy, too.

And to be more clear, this is often the case fans have with bands having huge success.

You fall in love with a band when nobody knows who they are and everyone kind of makes fun of you for your "weird" music.

Then they become mega stars and the frat guys start to like them and act like they've been long time fans when they can't name 3 songs. 

That's where they were heading into this show. They were huge mega stars wanting million dollar antique guitars. Singing songs about teen angst and not being cool and being left out. That's a REALLY tough spot for a band. 
I find this odd.  So you get upset because the band you like becomes more popular?  Not trying to take a dig at you, but I'm kind of replying because it almost felt like a shot across the bow.  :lol:

I find this odd.  So you get upset because the band you like becomes more popular?  Not trying to take a dig at you, but I'm kind of replying because it almost felt like a shot across the bow.  :lol:
No. I'm saying lots of people do this. 

I think it's pretty easy to see. If you've ever been a huge fan of a band, you know the relationship. Imagined or not, people feel a connection with the band and in an odd way, that the band is "their"s in the sense of the relationship. You share them with other big fans that seem like you.

When all of a sudden, tons more people start joining the fanbase, that can be troublesome for the Original fans. Especially, when the new people seem to be the antithesis of what the band is all about. When Nirvana become the darling of the rich spoiled frat bro, that was an example. 

I don't necessarily buy into it. I think one should likely see success for the band as success and be happy for them. But I completely understand what the original fans are feeling. :shrug:  

No. I'm saying lots of people do this. 

I think it's pretty easy to see. If you've ever been a huge fan of a band, you know the relationship. Imagined or not, people feel a connection with the band and in an odd way, that the band is "their"s in the sense of the relationship. You share them with other big fans that seem like you.

When all of a sudden, tons more people start joining the fanbase, that can be troublesome for the Original fans. Especially, when the new people seem to be the antithesis of what the band is all about. When Nirvana become the darling of the rich spoiled frat bro, that was an example. 

I don't necessarily buy into it. I think one should likely see success for the band as success and be happy for them. But I completely understand what the original fans are feeling. :shrug:  
It was like this for me with Metallica. When I was listening to their first 3 albums people were like what's that noise?- turn that crap off! Once the Black album hit it was a whole new fanbase and suddenly everyone was the biggest Metallica fan.

It was like this for me with Metallica. When I was listening to their first 3 albums people were like what's that noise?- turn that crap off! Once the Black album hit it was a whole new fanbase and suddenly everyone was the biggest Metallica fan.
Exactly. Very similar. 

A big different here is that Metallica went for a more commercial sound with the Black album, wanting to draw in the MTV crowd.  I don't think Nirvana made such a sweeping change in creative direction to appeal to the masses like that.

comfortably numb said:
I have a feeling I know who will run away with this one but curious on 2/3

Feel free to rank your 1-6
I thought it would be the same. Kind of surprised Man Who Sold the World is also getting a ton of votes 

Where did you sleep last night...always been one of my favorites.  '

Lake of fire and the man who sold the world are also amazing.  

This album and Chris Cornell's live acoustic stuff is some of the best music out there in my opinion . 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread