What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic VP candidates - Kamala Harris Is The Choice (1 Viewer)

Did not know the name (learning a lot in this thread ;)  ), but recognize the song. I guess the ad came to mind 1st because  likely heard a lot more

The chosen one has been chosen according to some news reports. No indication of when it will be announced.

ETA: Biden’s campaign is denying this.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thinking
Reactions: rct
Whitmer has really fallen out of the conversation lately, but the AP is now reporting that she had her first in-person meeting with Biden last week.  :tinfoilhat:

Also, Jim Clyburn recently began saying he cares more about getting a Black woman on the Supreme Court than on the presidential ticket. 

Whitmer has really fallen out of the conversation lately, but the AP is now reporting that she had her first in-person meeting with Biden last week.  :tinfoilhat:

Also, Jim Clyburn recently began saying he cares more about getting a Black woman on the Supreme Court than on the presidential ticket. 
Even better - there was Flight Tracking going on - verifying her trip to Delaware...

I also read an interesting theory - as it related to Whitmer - that Black support was fractured around the 2 (or 3) top Black female candidates, such that Biden would not be able to get Black voters to unify by picking any one of them, and so could go with a non-POC choice (and presumably rely on support from Obamas and Clyburn to help motivate Black voters.

:shrug:

I think the delays have painted him into an unwinnable position where no matter who he chooses, people are going to be angry.

Well, this isn't helpful. Maxine.

"We know that we're going to have a Black woman who is going to be the vice president," Waters told Essence in an interview. "Let me guarantee you this, based on everything that I know and understand, and the help that he has already gotten from the Black community with what [Rep.] Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) has done, Jim Clyburn, when he hears about this he's gonna laugh, he can't go home without a Black woman being VP." 

• Thinking

"We know that we're going to have a Black woman who is going to be the vice president," Waters told Essence in an interview. "Let me guarantee you this, based on everything that I know and understand, and the help that he has already gotten from the Black community with what [Rep.] Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) has done, Jim Clyburn, when he hears about this he's gonna laugh, he can't go home without a Black woman being VP." 
Well, to be fair, Maxine Waters is never helpful anytime she opens her mouth.  :)

• Laughing

Are there any non - black VP candidates ?  Please advise

Biden’s VP Pick is Said to be Imminent

WILMINGTON, Del. — Joseph R. Biden Jr.has told allies that he has interviewed every finalist in his vice-presidential search, and his advisers are planning an announcement for the middle of the week, people briefed on the selection process said on Monday.

In a sign that the choice is now in Mr. Biden’s hands alone, the four-member committee that screened his potential running mates is said to have effectively disbanded — its work is complete, Biden allies said, and there is little left to do except for Mr. Biden to make up his mind.

Mr. Biden’s political team has prepared rollout plans for several of the finalists, and he is expected to announce his decision as soon as Tuesday, though more Democrats expect it to come on Wednesday.

I fully acknowledge that this kind of speculation is stupid, but there’s apparently a chartered plane flying from South Bend, IN to Wilmington. “Mayor Pete” is trending on Twitter, but that’s obviously not what’s going on. Could be Duckworth flying from a nearby airport, or could be absolutely nothing. We don’t even know for sure that Biden and his VP will be appearing together

I fully acknowledge that this kind of speculation is stupid, but there’s apparently a chartered plane flying from South Bend, IN to Wilmington. “Mayor Pete” is trending on Twitter, but that’s obviously not what’s going on. Could be Duckworth flying from a nearby airport, or could be absolutely nothing. We don’t even know for sure that Biden and his VP will be appearing together
It’s been confirmed by multiple sources that Pete is not on that plane. 

It’s been confirmed by multiple sources that Pete is not on that plane. 
It was confirmed by me months ago that Pete wasn’t going to be VP, so yeah. 

As for the Duckworth theory, there is a long history of campaigns using less trafficked airports to throw reporters off the scent, but if you wanted to do that here, wouldn’t it make more sense to avoid Wilmington? Just stick Duckworth on a Chicago-Philly flight and no one is the wiser

he is expected to announce his decision as soon as Tuesday, though more Democrats expect it to come on Wednesday.
My guess has been Wednesday or even Thursday, with the possibility of  leak a day ahead.I assume he'd notify the "losers" 1st.
Andrea Mitchell and Robert Costa, talking about previous VP announcements, said they won't report without  2nd source.

Logically it seems like today would be the day.  The most important news shows are during the week and it would be good to get the vp on all the major shows before Thursday eod. 

it will probably be tomorrow

Sarah Ewall-Wice
@EwallWice·19m

Dems announce convention speakers including

Aug 17: 
@MichelleObama @SenSanders @amyklobuchar @NYGovCuomo

Aug 18: 
@DrBiden @BillClinton @AOC @JohnKerry

Aug 19: 
@SpeakerPelosi @HillaryClinton @ewarren @BarackObama

Aug 20: 
@JoeBiden @CoryBooker @PeteButtigieg @KamalaHarris

I am not sure what this says about Harris as the choice for VP

It says these schedules aren't set in stone and can be changed if necessary
Yeah - that is kind of my take.
I will add - that if Harris is not the choice, its asking a lot of her to be a featured speaker at the convention trying to unify the party.

And if its not her, and she ends up not speaking at the convention - that will not help unify the party either...

I will add - that if Harris is not the choice, its asking a lot of her to be a featured speaker at the convention trying to unify the party.

And if its not her, and she ends up not speaking at the convention - that will not help unify the party either...
Candidates who ran in the primary almost always speak at the convention, which is why Pete, Booker and Warren are all on that list (within reason, of course. Not sure we'll be seeing much of Marianne Williamson or Joe Sestak next week). If Harris didn't speak it would be shocking for reasons having nothing to do with her VP chances.

She could still be his choice for AG and have that big featured spot.

Candidates who ran in the primary almost always speak at the convention, which is why Pete, Booker and Warren are all on that list (within reason, of course. Not sure we'll be seeing much of Marianne Williamson or Joe Sestak next week). If Harris didn't speak it would be shocking for reasons having nothing to do with her VP chances.
Missed opportunity IMO.

Maybe I was not clear - If she is not the VP choice, and she chooses then not to speak - that would be a problem.  

Obviously she has been given a platform - not just because she was a candidate - because she did drop out long before the voting started - but because she is a strong voice within the party.  If this was "just give the candidates time to speak" - she would be speaking on D1 with Klobuchar.  She has been given a prime speaking part based on what she brings to the party today - not that she was a candidate in 2019.

We need to get college football fans chasing this down. They have extensive flight tracking skills.

Maybe I was not clear - If she is not the VP choice, and she chooses then not to speak - that would be a problem.  

Obviously she has been given a platform - not just because she was a candidate - because she did drop out long before the voting started - but because she is a strong voice within the party.  If this was "just give the candidates time to speak" - she would be speaking on D1 with Klobuchar.  She has been given a prime speaking part based on what she brings to the party today - not that she was a candidate in 2019.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it would be a big deal if any of the big names didn't speak. The whole point of a convention is to showcase party unity, so any cracks in that unity are going to present a problem. And yes, particularly if it seems like the leading VP candidate is angry about not being picked. But no way I see that happening. Whatever else she is, Harris is a loyal soldier. Even if she feels like Dodd, Rendell and the Old Boys Network submarined her chances, she's not going to blow things up on her way out the door.

We need to get college football fans chasing this down. They have extensive flight tracking skills.
As I recall, the John Edwards scoop in '04 was broken by a random employee at an airport who saw them stenciling "Kerry-Edwards" on the campaign plane and posted on an aviation message board.

Andrea Mitchell gets the credit...though she does mention a plane (in general terms):

Mitchell broke the story in 1988 that George H.W. Bush picked Dan Quayle as his running mate, and then in 2004 that John Kerry selected John Edwards.

In the latter case, Mitchell recalls that it was on a July 4 weekend, and “our team was working around the clock on it, from the president of NBC News down, we were all looking for strands, down to who had chartered planes and might be painting the side of a plane with a name…People were looking for who was printing posters. It was high tension, big pressure.”

She said that on Sunday night, she finally nailed that it would be Edwards, but they needed a second source. “On anything, we’re going to be right than first, and this, with the exposure it gets.”

They waited overnight for hours until they got the second source, “and I was really grateful we did.” 

FWIW,Mitchell gets the credit...though she does mention a plane:

Mitchell broke the story in 1988 that George H.W. Bush picked Dan Quayle as his running mate, and then in 2004 that John Kerry selected John Edwards.

In the latter case, Mitchell recalls that it was on a July 4 weekend, and “our team was working around the clock on it, from the president of NBC News down, we were all looking for strands, down to who had chartered planes and might be painting the side of a plane with a name…People were looking for who was printing posters. It was high tension, big pressure.”

She said that on Sunday night, she finally nailed that it would be Edwards, but they needed a second source. “On anything, we’re going to be right than first, and this, with the exposure it gets.”

They waited overnight for hours until they got the second source, “and I was really grateful we did.” 
Yeah, I was maybe being a little generous with the word "scoop". As I recall, the guy made his post before the pick had been announced, but it's not like that was definitive. These days speculation like that would be all over Twitter, but at the time it was probably only known by hard-core political junkies. Also, campaigns have been known to print up fake posters (eg, "Obama-Bayh") with the intent of throwing out disinformation and making people distrust any rumors they hear.

Worth recalling that 2004 was the year that the New York Post infamously got it wrong and reported that Kerry had picked Gephardt.

True. Different game with social media and cell phone cameras. Didn't know about the Obama-Bayh posters.

Supposedly Rice has taken the top spot on the betting markets because Harris was listed as a convention speaker and she wasn't. Which should really tell you more about the betting markets than about Biden's choice.

Supposedly Rice has taken the top spot on the betting markets because Harris was listed as a convention speaker and she wasn't. Which should really tell you more about the betting markets than about Biden's choice.
Interesting.  And take Trumps comments / warnings about her being selected as a good sign for the Dems.

Silly logic. Maybe why Demings is now (distant) third. Though Bass is down. Everyone else seems to be speaking: Grisham, Whitmer, Duckworth, Harris, Bottoms

Users who are viewing this thread