What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic VP candidates - Kamala Harris Is The Choice (1 Viewer)

What’s funny is when Trumpists try to say there is something wrong  mentally with Biden and their guy thinks the 1918 Spanish pandemic started in 1917 and ended 28 years later at the end of WWII. Or he he mumbles along saying Thighland and Yo Semites or can’t say the word  origins. 
The difference being that President Trump is in his 70s and talks like he's in his 80s

Biden is in his 70s and talks like he's in Pre-K

Kamala Harris blocked evidence that would free an innocent man from death row until the courts forced her to do so. She put 1500 people in jail over marijuana violations, then laughed about smoking marijuana herself. 

It'd be bad enough even if she were a pitch perfect politician, but she's not.  She ran a clunky campaign with that dumb t-shirt gag, floundered early on in the primary, and got clobbered in the debates when asked basic questions about her criminal justice record.  

How is she supposed to connect with people who have spent the past 75 days protesting against police abuse.  Or people that care about drug enforcement, or militarism, or apartheid in Israel.  Hold on, let me guess: at least she's not Trump.  I got to tell you, Trump is the greatest thing that ever happened to the Democratic Party.  They don't even have to try anymore.  They just point at Trump, prop up whatever candidate Wall Street wants, and then they walk away.  It's beautiful, what a nice gig for them.  

I know a lot of people don't care if the Dems throw up a literal turd in the air that says Goldman Sachs on it so long as it's not Donald Trump, but some people actually care about this stuff.  The DNC just flipped the bird at all of them.  Horrible.  

I wasn't sure, that's why I asked you. What is the reasoning for bringing her into this? Is there a comparison you're trying to make?
I read the below bolded and it made me think about it.  Simple as that. I didn’t quote Ghost because the thought wasn’t in response to his post. Was simply a thought about how bad these picks can be sometimes, as I expressed in my next post.  

Disappointing selection by Biden, but not a surprising one.  I suspect the extreme left is pitching major fits over this one.

I read the below bolded and it made me think about it.  Simple as that. I didn’t quote Ghost because the thought wasn’t in response to his post. Was simply a thought about how bad these picks can be sometimes, as I expressed in my next post.  
My fault. Sometimes I'll jump into a thread after being out for a few days and don't read everything above a post I pick out.

After sleeping on this I have an uneasy feeling that if Biden wins then about a year into it he steps down for whatever reason and they shoe horn Harris in.  Seems like a realistic possibility. 

• Laughing
Reactions: rct
Sorry you feel that way about the Republican party. I don't know how you think the Democrat party is even close to a fit for you though.
As a conservative white male from the Midwest who voted straight Republican tickets for nearly two decades, I think the Democratic party (while I don't agree with many of their policy positions and certainly don't think I would ever consider myself a member of the party) are a better fit for me than the current Republican party. Whether you believe it is genuine or not, Democrats at least continue to give the outward appearance of caring about things like the rule of law, checks and balances, free and fair democracy, and basic human decency. The current Republican party has given up all pretense of caring about such things.

Kamala Harris blocked evidence that would free an innocent man from death row until the courts forced her to do so. She put 1500 people in jail over marijuana violations, then laughed about smoking marijuana herself. 

It'd be bad enough even if she were a pitch perfect politician, but she's not.  She ran a clunky campaign with that dumb t-shirt gag, floundered early on in the primary, and got clobbered in the debates when asked basic questions about her criminal justice record.  

How is she supposed to connect with people who have spent the past 75 days protesting against police abuse.  Or people that care about drug enforcement, or militarism, or apartheid in Israel.  Hold on, let me guess: at least she's not Trump.  I got to tell you, Trump is the greatest thing that ever happened to the Democratic Party.  They don't even have to try anymore.  They just point at Trump, prop up whatever candidate Wall Street wants, and then they walk away.  It's beautiful, what a nice gig for them.  

I know a lot of people don't care if the Dems throw up a literal turd in the air that says Goldman Sachs on it so long as it's not Donald Trump, but some people actually care about this stuff.  The DNC just flipped the bird at all of them.  Horrible.  
Kamala Harris Did What She Had To In attacking her record on crime policy, her critics are ignoring how politics actually works

Cannabis leaders react to Biden’s choice of Kamala Harris: Will she help or hurt marijuana legalization?

>> I like Kamala Harris, and think this is seriously great for the cannabis industry. She may have been a former prosecutor, but she eventually got her head straight on the cannabis issue, and will help the old dude get it. She is up for the fight, and can help kick Trump to the curb. <<

After sleeping on this I have an uneasy feeling that if Biden wins then about a year into it he steps down for whatever reason and they shoe horn Harris in.  Seems like a realistic possibility. 
Assuming that is true - what is your concern?

ETA - I don't see Biden or Harris following in Trump's footsteps and trying to turn the US into their own private kingdom.  I see both as being constrained by traditional checks and balances - that do not seem to hinder President Trump.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Assuming that is true - what is your concern?

ETA - I don't see Biden or Harris following in Trump's footsteps and trying to turn the US into their own private kingdom.  I see both as being constrained by traditional checks and balances - that do not seem to hinder President Trump.
Seriously?

Yes.

What is your concern if Harris were to be President?
Because she isnt running for President.  Biden is.  It would be a weak sauce move to shoe horn a black female into the position just on general principle.  Its cheap.  She should win on her own merit.  She got trounced out of the primaries with ease but yet the we are going to hand her the Presidency.  You really dont have a problem if that were to occur?

Because she isnt running for President.  Biden is.  It would be a weak sauce move to shoe horn a black female into the position just on general principle.  Its cheap.  She should win on her own merit.  She got trounced out of the primaries with ease but yet the we are going to hand her the Presidency.  You really dont have a problem if that were to occur?
The consensus has always been this VP pick will be the presumptive candidate in 2024. He wisely hasn't explicitly said that he's a 1-termer, but there were early indications and he'll be 82 then.

I think he'll make it through his first term, but I have no issues with her fitness to serve if necessary. 

I have zero problems if Biden has to step down for any reason, and Harris steps into the role of President.

And - :tinfoilhat:  - this is a really convoluted play by the dems, to force Harris to drop out in December, shoe horn Biden into the nomination, only to bring Harris back to the picture via a VP nod, that many people thought was going to Klobuchar before the George Floyd incident.  At no point have I ever considered Harris to be the "favorite" of the Democratic Establishment.

Harris and Biden seem to have similar policy views so not really.  I guess I could imagine a scenario where it was a more problematic bait-and-switch but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

Would you have a problem if Trump stepped down, say if he loses, in order to receive a pardon from Pence?

• Thinking
“i need black voters and female voters so I’ll nominate a black woman as VP” is insulting. 
“I have tears in my eyes but joy in my soul,” Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tex.) said. “I am so overwhelmed, as I know that women around the nation, women of color, and yes Black women can see their equal status in this nation finally.” ⁦

There's a very real chance that Biden won't make it through his first term, so yes I agree with you that his VP selection is more important than most.  I have a pretty low opinion of Kamala Harris as a person, but at least she has real experience with government, and I have little doubt that she'll be able to govern competently if called upon to do so.  I would have been much less comfortable with an ideologue like Elizabeth Warren or a novice like Stacey Abrams.  Harris falls inside the parameters of what's normal, so she's fine as far as I'm concerned.  

The vice presidency isn't and never has been an easy stepping stone to the presidency.  Harris is probably better positioned than most VPs to assume office just because of Biden's advanced age, but I don't see her being handed anything that she hasn't earned. 

We will agree to disagree then.  
Thats fine - but again, even assuming what you say is true - what do you see as the problem with Harris as President?  Is there something about her specifically - policy positions you think she would pursue differently than Biden - that causes this concern?

Hell, Gerald Ford was never even elected as Vice-President and he became President.

I don’t think this reads very well for you - and maybe it’s very telling.  Why is your concern limited to a black female?  Is there no concern if this were a white male?

Kamala Harris Did What She Had To In attacking her record on crime policy, her critics are ignoring how politics actually works

Cannabis leaders react to Biden’s choice of Kamala Harris: Will she help or hurt marijuana legalization?

>> I like Kamala Harris, and think this is seriously great for the cannabis industry. She may have been a former prosecutor, but she eventually got her head straight on the cannabis issue, and will help the old dude get it. She is up for the fight, and can help kick Trump to the curb. <<
I believe the DNC already killed the amendment to make legalizing federally part of their platform.  And this is before they take power, when they can say whatever they want.  

• Laughing
Funny, you didn't seem to have a problem with "shoe horning" an old white Christian male into that role for the past few hundred years.

Why all the outrage now?

“I have tears in my eyes but joy in my soul,” Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tex.) said. “I am so overwhelmed, as I know that women around the nation, women of color, and yes Black women can see their equal status in this nation finally.” ⁦
Well if Sheila Jackson Lee feels that way I stand corrected !

Nia-Malika Henderson made a good point that given electoral history picking a women of color is hard to consider a safe pick. However given that Joe had committed to picking a woman she is likely the safest pick. She has been considered the favorite the whole time. Picking her rocks the boat the least. Given he is currently in a very strong position, that seems smart.  
Sure, historically. But in 2020, this feels like by far the safe pick. 

Harris`s mom is from India, dad is from Jamaica, she is married to a white Jewish man.   Checks the boxes needed.

Users who are viewing this thread