What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jalen Hurts, PHI (1 Viewer)

elguapo07

Footballguy
I think he's gonna be a good pro, perhaps real good. He had an excellent combine and he could go as early as mid/late 2nd now with some buzz.

After Burrows and Tua who would you really take over him?  Herbert with a top 10 pick vs Hurts at say 2.20?  Love or Hurts  25 to 40 picks later? 

I'm thinking Hurts comp can be where  a slightly smaller version of Dak meets a larger Kyler Murray.

Don't think Hurts is getting much love and if drafted where he can develop for a year or two (NO?) he could end up being one of the better QBs in this class at a non 1st round price 

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook: Is Washington Really in on Tua Tagovailoa?

Excerpt:

Riser of the Week                

Jalen Hurts arrived in Indianapolis with a third-round grade on my board. He left in the discussion to be a top-50 pick.

Hurts handled himself well in interviews with the media and with NFL teams, but most importantly he continued to show improved mechanics and fluidity in his passing motion. Hurts isn't being judged on who he was at Alabama or Oklahoma, but on what he can become with NFL coaching and time to develop. And that is a pretty fun idea.

Oklahoma QB Jalen Hurts completed 6-of-13 passes for 58 yards with a touchdown and an interception on Saturday for the South All-Stars in the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Hurts (6'2/218) looked like his day was done after the second quarter, but he came back in the fourth period. He was able to throw his touchdown pass in that quarter; a pretty 18-yard connection with Jauan Jennings. He really struggled in the first half, however, in large part due to the fact that the South lineman just couldn't block Bradlee Anae. Hurts had a solid week of practices in Mobile, and that's what's going to matter the most for scouts.

Jan 25, 2020, 5:48 PM ET

Jim Nagy states that Oklahoma QB Jalen Hurts was named as one of the South Squad Offensive Practice Players of the Week at the Reese's Senior Bowl practices.

One player was singled out by Nagy at each position group with the voting being conducted from a pool of the North's defensive players. There had been reports earlier in the week about Hurts' ball placement being sub-par, but apparently he rebounded to earn the respect of his opponents and be named as the best quarterback the South team had to offer. It will be interesting to see if Hurts can carry over the strong practice showings to the Senior Bowl itself.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Jan 24, 2020, 2:20 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Oklahoma senior QB Jalen Hurts leads the FBS with 15.0 yards per attempt when throwing from a clean pocket.

Passing from a clean pocket is far more repeatable than passing under pressure because the conditions are more stable. Hurts, who gets plenty of clean pockets at Oklahoma, has been a step above anyone else in college football in those conditions. While Hurts (6'2/218) sits at 15.0 yards per attempt from clean pockets, Tua Tagovailoa ranks second all the way down at 11.6. What Hurts is doing in HC Lincoln Riley's offense is historic.

SOURCE: Anthony Treash on Twitter

Oct 24, 2019, 9:33 AM ET

According to Pro Football Focus, Oklahoma senior QB Jalen Hurts is averaging a nation's-best 21.3 yards per pass attempt on deep balls this season.

Hurts (6'2/218) has been outstanding thus far for Oklahoma, which faces bitter rival Texas Saturday afternoon in Dallas. Per PFF the senior quarterback also boasts an adjusted completion percentage of 78.7%, and he has also yet to have a pass dropped this season. For those more into traditional statistics, Hurts has completed 75.2% of his passes and thrown for 1,523 yards and 14 touchdowns with just two interceptions. He has also been a threat on the ground, rushing for an average of 8.8 yards per carry with 499 rushing yards and seven touchdowns.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Oct 11, 2019, 7:24 PM ET

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Oklahoma QB Jalen Hurts to former Denver Bronco Tim Tebow.

Hurts (6'1/222) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds while recording a vertical jump of 35 inches and a broad jump of 125 inches at the combine. The former national champion and third-team AP All-American is a more accurate passer than his comp Tebow but he still needs to improve his decision making. Hurts' leadership qualities are evident, he extends plays with his athleticism and can throw on the move. He prefers to run from the pocket rather than step into it and projects as a quality backup in the NFL with room to improve into a potential starter. Hurts is projected as a potential Day 2 prospect if things break right.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 10, 2020, 2:29 PM ET

He’s a player I’m interested in if he’s  still available late in rookie drafts. The potential return for the outlay could be enormous 

He’s a player I’m interested in if he’s  still available late in rookie drafts. The potential return for the outlay could be enormous 
Sure. Late, he's worth taking a flier. 

I have him about equal with Fromm. Well below the big 4 QBs. 

Dane Brugler of The Athletic reports that the Las Vegas Raiders reportedly "love" Oklahoma QB Jalen Hurts.

Interesting. The Raiders were rumored to be in the Tom Brady mix, and while they still have Derek Carr still under quarterback, they brought in former Titans signal-caller Marcus Mariota to compete for the starting gig. Brugler doesn't believe that the Raiders will draft a quarterback in the first-round, but he believes that if Hurts (6'1/222) is still around on Day 2, the Raiders' love of the former Alabama and Oklahoma quarterback could see him drafted by Las Vegas in April -- or whenever the draft takes place.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 22, 2020, 6:01 PM ET

I think he's gonna be pretty good.  Not top 5.  But a serviceable top 20 starting QB.   Seems to be a good leader.  I could see the Patriots snagging him.

Hurts has been planning this day for quite awhile.   I heard an OK radio show that said he got rid of the dreads and man buns to look the part..kinda like looking sharp and tight for a job interview.   Hurts went from a 4th rd pick to maybe an early second.  Teams like Indy, Detroit, GB, Chicago, should be taking a long look. GB is my sleeper. 

Summer Wheat said:
Hurts has been planning this day for quite awhile.   I heard an OK radio show that said he got rid of the dreads and man buns to look the part..kinda like looking sharp and tight for a job interview.   Hurts went from a 4th rd pick to maybe an early second.  Teams like Indy, Detroit, GB, Chicago, should be taking a long look. GB is my sleeper. 
I don't think it happens but Cincy taking Young in the first and Hurts 2nd would be smart. 

I don't know anything about team needs on the Raiders, but CeeDee Lamb and Jalen Hurts in the first two rounds ought to get the fan base excited.  If I'm a coach like Gruden, I'd be pretty pumped up about fanning the flames of competition on Carr, Mariota, and Hurts.

Putting my Stidham man crush aside, I just dont see this as a logical landing spot. Brady was a prototypical QB, whereas one of the first lines in this article is, "Hurts (6-1, 222, 4.59 40) is far from the prototypical NFL QB prospect."

So... why does this make sense? Because he "is a leader and competitive"???

In my opinion, Dallas makes way more sense. He seems to resemble Dak in his strengths and weaknesses. He would be able to be an insurance policy if Dak walks, or he could be plan A. I'm not sure Dallas can afford to pay their 3 big weapons top dollar. Hurts would give them some cap flexibility with a rookie contract. 

Of course, I wouldn't put anything past Belichick. He could certainly see Hurts as a project to take the step in the direction of the potential future of the NFL like Baltimore, Kansas City, Arizona... 
BB has always placed a high value on leadership (specifically team captain) and production (especially for big programs). He's also the type of coach who adapts to change and the trend towards less prototypical QBs makes it seem less far-fetched that BB would like a player like Hurts.

BB has always placed a high value on leadership (specifically team captain) and production (especially for big programs). He's also the type of coach who adapts to change and the trend towards less prototypical QBs makes it seem less far-fetched that BB would like a player like Hurts.
i think it's less about BB adapting and more about McDaniels here. He's going to have to create a scheme that supports Stidham or whomever. As McDaniel is regarded as the heir apparent to BB then it's *really* important to have a plan. The question I'd ask myself if I wanted to go down the rabbit hole: what did the Denver offense look like under McDaniel when he had Tebow? This is what might be a ur-version of what a forward thinking OC and future head coach is planning.

He could certainly see Hurts as a project to take the step in the direction of the potential future of the NFL like Kansas City
Mahomes will no longer run as much as he did his first year. Not even close to Jackson, and Murray didn't run a whole lot last year, either. Further, after his kneecap, I can't remember Mahomes's usage as anything but a pocket passer unless it was totally urgent. Even when it was urgent, he didn't even look that great during that supposedly great run against the Titans in the AFC Championship. That was obscenely poor tackling.

Now, can he move around in the pocket? Sure. Mahomes, an MVP,  has pocket presence way beyond his years. I'd bet he slides around in it more now than runs out of it. And you can hang your hat on very few designed runs for him. He's too valuable with his arm.  

Oklahoma QB Jalen Hurts met virtually with the Dallas Cowboys.

Hurts (6'1/222) took a Zoom meeting with the Cowboys, fielding questions from owner Jerry Jones, among others. Dallas still houses starting QB Dak Prescott, but Hurts would make for a logical backup target in the draft given the similarities between his and Prescott's games. The Raiders, Colts and Steelers are among the other teams which have been linked to Hurts during the predraft process.

SOURCE: Dallas Cowboys on Instagram

Apr 5, 2020, 12:39 PM ET

Oklahoma HC Lincoln Riley said the Dallas Cowboys' interest in QB Jalen Hurts "makes sense."

Who better to pinpoint Hurts' best NFL landing spot other than his most recent HC? Riley said, "Looking at the Cowboys in what they have right now in Dak (Prescott), you can see a lot of similarities at the college level, a lot of similarities in their skillsets, so for them to be interested, I think makes a lot of sense." Prescott is a more accurate passer and has proven himself a pre-snap savant, but the mobility and general baseline of competent, safe play certainly checks out. If the Cowboys are indeed in the market for a new backup, Hurts would be perfect. 

SOURCE: The Oklahoman

Apr 6, 2020, 3:52 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Packers and Chargers have been "in touch" with Oklahoma QB Jalen Hurts.

Both teams have also done their due diligence in meeting with Utah State’s Jordan Love. With veteran Tyrod Taylor considered nothing more than a bridge to the Chargers' next successor, and Green Bay still searching for an eventual replacement to learn behind 36-year-old Aaron Rodgers, both teams are fully expected to walk away with rookie competition under center in next week's draft. Hurts in particular is ranked as Hayden Winks' QB3 among this year's class, trailing only LSU's Joe Burrow and Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa.

RELATED: 

Green Bay Packers

, Los Angeles Chargers

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 14, 2020, 9:37 AM ET

Eagles selected Oklahoma QB Jalen Hurts with the No. 53 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Despite only losing two games as a true freshman and sophomore, Hurts (6’1/222) was unseated by Tua Tagovailoa as Alabama’s starting quarterback, which ultimately led to a transfer to Oklahoma. Under head coach Lincoln Riley, Hurts’ passing motion, comfortability, and efficiency took a massive leap in 2019. He led the nation in YPA (11.5) on non-play action passes, finished with PFF’s No. 4 overall grade, and was the Heisman runner-up to Joe Burrow. On tape, his accuracy is arguably underrated (yet still average), but he must continue to improve his processing and willingness to stay inside the pocket. Luckily, he’s only 21 years old and is by all accounts very coachable. Even if those traits remain weaknesses, Hurts is a valuable runner. He led college football, including running backs, in red zone rushing touchdowns (17) last season and can have a short-yardage role as a backup quarterback. That may be selling him short, however. Hurts has starting-level upside with some development and will slide in as Carson Wentz's backup in Philly. It's a great landing spot for Hurts to learn alongside coach Doug Pederson.

Apr 24, 2020, 8:41 PM ET

Eagles surprisingly take Sooners QB Jalen Hurts in 2nd round of NFL draft

Excerpts:

Philadelphia values having a "second quarterback." The organization doesn't like using the term "backup," a philosophy that was validated when Nick Foles stepped in for an injured Wentz in 2017 and completed the Eagles' Super Bowl run. However, that run led to a complicated dynamic in the locker room, with a Super Bowl MVP sharing space with a young, alpha-male quarterback trying to establish command.

Roseman, though, didn't sound concerned about a potential quarterback controversy, particularly because of Hurts' team-first mentality.

"We think Carson is a phenomenal player, and nobody is going to be looking at a rookie quarterback as somebody who is going to be taking over for a Pro Bowl quarterback, a guy who has been on the cusp of winning an MVP," Roseman said.

Hurts indicated that he has not been told what his role will be initially, but coach Doug Pederson will certainly have the ability to get creative on offense. Hurts not only threw for 32 touchdowns last season but also ran for 20 touchdowns while racking up nearly 1,300 yards on the ground.

"He has a unique skill set," Pederson said. "You see what Taysom Hill has done in New Orleans and how he and Drew Brees have a connection there and a bond there. And you look at [Joe] Flacco and Lamar [Jackson] in Baltimore for the short period of time, how they jelled together. It's just something we're going to explore."

The weird thing about this is that it seems like a QB is worth more to many other teams than to the Eagles. If Hurts turns out to be good, then that would make a bigger difference to say the Bears or the Steelers than it would to the Eagles. So it seems like someone made a mistake with Hurts going to the Eagles, but it's not immediately obvious if it was Philly or the 8ish teams with much bigger QB needs.

It mainly comes down to how good he is as a prospect. If he can play, then he'll give the Eagles a strong backup like Foles was in Philly and probably a subpackage weapon like Taysom Hill is in NO. In a few years he can be a trade chip like Garoppolo was for NE. And there is some chance that he turns into Philly's next starting quarterback, if he turns out to be surprisingly good or if Wentz runs into trouble - I'd say that chance isn't large but it also isn't tiny. Given the importance of the QB position, if you like him as a prospect that seems worth a mid to late 2nd rounder.

Of course, if you like him as a prospect and you don't have a settled starter like Wentz then that makes him worth even more than a mid to late 2nd rounder.

Perhaps the Eagles are valuing the quarterback position and their draft position correctly, unlike others. Considering they had Foles lead them to a Super Bowl and given Wentz's injury history, the move makes some sense. To wit: When the Jets had Sam Darnold go down last year, they had nobody even close to a suitable backup to him to play quarterback. They went 7-9, with Sam missing three games, all losses. With a competent backup and their schedule, they might have sniffed playoffs, though not likely. But they were done out of the gate with Sam missing and an 0-4 record.

Just...I'm not sure how you can overvalue the QB position in football other than those massive, cap-eating contracts that most competent ones sign off of their rookie deals. (A trend being corrected, it seems.)

Perhaps the Eagles are valuing the quarterback position and their draft position correctly, unlike others. Considering they had Foles lead them to a Super Bowl and given Wentz's injury history, the move makes some sense. To wit: When the Jets had Sam Darnold go down last year, they had nobody even close to a suitable backup to him to play quarterback. They went 7-9, with Sam missing three games, all losses. With a competent backup and their schedule, they might have sniffed playoffs, though not likely. But they were done out of the gate with Sam missing and an 0-4 record.

Just...I'm not sure how you can overvalue the QB position in football other than those massive, cap-eating contracts that most competent ones sign off of their rookie deals. (A trend being corrected, it seems.)
If the eagles had a good backup last year they would have beaten the Seahawks.   And yes wentz has been hurt 3 out of 4 years.   Its totally the right move.  I would much rather have an upside cheap qb like hurts than some other dart throw draft pick if you need a qb.  Eagles fans are mad at where we picked hurts and say we could have gotten a backup qb later.   Eason, fromm and everyone else is far behind hurts imo.   Hes a great player, leader, person and has shown the ability to get better.   Lead 2 high powered teams to great records.  Who knows if wentz gets hurt again they may have found their next qb in round 2.

Users who are viewing this thread