What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jalen Hurts, PHI (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Eagles QB Jalen Hurts is expected to start for the remainder of the season, "barring injury or disastrous play."

Wentz has been erratic with his accuracy and questionable with his on-field decision making to an unprecedented degree this year. He leads the league with 15 interceptions and 50 sacks. Hurts has the mobility to avoid some of those drive-killing sacks and was monstrously efficient as a passer at Oklahoma. He averaged 12.2 adjusted yards per attempt in his senior season. Hurts threw 32 scores and just eight interceptions in that season. If Hurts looks good to close out the 2020 season, he should be expected to start the 2021 season under center for Philadelphia.

SOURCE: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Dec 13, 2020, 10:55 AM ET

Jalen Hurts will start in Week 15 against the Cardinals. 

Eagles head coach Doug Pederson on Sunday night pretended he hadn't made up his mind about which QB would start against Arizona. He had no choice but to roll with Hurts after he led the team to a stunning upset victory over the Saints. The rookie completed 17-of-30 passes for 167 yards and a touchdown against New Orleans, tacking on 18 carries for 106 yards. Hurts was the eighth highest scoring quarterback in fantasy on Sunday. Philadelphia pass catcher have a much lower floor with Hurts starting, but fantasy players who were patient with Miles Sanders could benefit from championship-winning upside in the coming weeks. Hurts is a borderline QB1 option against Arizona based on his rushing opportunity alone. 

RELATED: 

Carson Wentz

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Dec 14, 2020, 12:39 PM ET

2020 Week 14 QB Review: Jalen Hurts' Eagles debut, Drew Lock running out of time in Denver and more

Excerpt:

WHAT TO MAKE OF JALEN HURTS

The Philadelphia Eagles found the win column in Jalen Hurts’ first start, and they did so in impressive fashion against the top-seeded New Orleans Saints.

Hurts was not great as a passer and finished with a 40.9 PFF passing grade, the second-lowest of the season by an Eagles quarterback. He had a dangerous sideline interception dropped and missed a few more open throws, while 74% of his 167 passing yards came after the catch.

However, the difference Hurts brought to the table was in the run game, where he ran 18 times for 106 yards, including both designed runs and scrambles. That is a new normal in today’s NFL, as more run-pass threats get opportunities around the league.

Hurts was able to add value on the ground despite a poor game through the air, something that simply isn’t possible with every quarterback in the league. As I’ve said many times in this column and on the PFF NFL Podcast, a good running quarterback raises the floor of an offense and allows points to be scored even on days with an inefficient passing attack.

Hurts also may have made his presence felt on running back Miles Sanders’ 82-yard touchdown run when the Saints' linebackers were peeking in the backfield and ultimately helped to give Sanders a clean shot into the secondary where he only had to make one man miss on the way to the end zone.

The big question is if this style is sustainable, and the answer is that more 40.0 passing grades from Hurts will not lead to the same result for the Eagles, but his added value in the run game at least gives the offense a chance to function as the passing game continues to find its way after season-long struggles.

Wow no one did his relief or Week 14 performance?

In relief of Wentz Week 13:

Jalen Hurts completed 5-of-12 passes for 109 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the Eagles' Week 13 loss to the Packers, adding five carries for 29 additional yards. 

Hurts generated 138 yards of offense in 22 minutes compared to 97 for Carson Wentz in 38. The move simply had to be made. Wentz looked like he was playing in molasses, processing the offense amazingly slowly. Wentz completed one pass for eight yards to receivers. Egregious. Hurts is nothing like an instant savior, but he will go through his first few reads faster and is a much more natural scrambler. At this point, it is hard to see how the drain-circling Eagles go back to Wentz for Week 14 vs. the Saints, but it is a momentous moment in franchise history. These are the sorts of changes that reverberate. We wouldn't take it for granted that coach Doug Pederson will announce the switch. If he does, Hurts' dual-threat skill-set will offer QB2 wild card upside vs. the Saints

- Rotoworld
Starting Week 14:

Jalen Hurts completed 17-of-30 passes for 167 yards and a touchdown in the Eagles' 24-21, Week 14 win over the Saints, adding 18 carries for 106 additional yards. 

Hurts also lost a fumble in clock-killing mode, getting it punched out even though he had two hands on it. Thankfully, the Eagles were winning by 10 at the time. Hurts did not reinvent the wheel, but he played (much) faster than Carson Wentz and provided the Eagles their desperately-needed spark in a home upset over the NFC-leading Saints. Hurts' rushing threat also made life easier for his teammates, with Miles Sanders getting loose for an 82-yard touchdown and the first 100-yard day by a running back against the Saints in 55 games. The score came on a read option where the defense had to respect Hurts. Jalen Reagor also gained 19 yards on an end-around. It was Reagor who Hurts found for his biggest play as a passer, with a rub route helping to spring the wideout for a 39-yard gain. Although often pressured, Hurts did not take a sack. There is basically no chance the Eagles will turn back to Wentz for Week 15 against the Cardinals. It's not an overly appealing matchup, but there will be a QB1 path for dual-threat Hurts. He will be ranked somewhere in the QB12-18 range for the fantasy semifinals.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Yahoo! - Week 14 care/don't care: Elite WR Stefon Diggs is one of the best fantasy football values of 2020

Jalen Hurts brings life to the Eagles

No offense in the NFL needed life more than the Philadelphia Eagles. We’ve pretty much done enough dissecting of the Carson Wentz-led Eagles offense but if you had any questions that he was a part of the problem, you shouldn’t after watching Week 14.

It’s not as if Hurts was perfect as a passer or the wide receivers suddenly came to life. The offensive line didn’t out of nowhere become a fortress.

However, Hurts moved the offense and it didn’t look like an impossibly difficult task for him — which has been the staple of the Eagles in 2020. On several of his long first down scrambles, Hurts quickly decided to dart out of the pocket when a pass rusher bore down on him. My first thought on those plays was, “Wentz is taking a sack there 10 times out of 10.” A quarterback with Hurts’ skill set is just much more conducive to play in chaos.

Perhaps it was a coincidence but Hurts starting also lifted the running game. Miles Sanders had been almost completely absent with just 18 touches the last two weeks. Against the Saints No. 2 ranked run defense by DVOA, Sanders was the electric presence so many hoped he’d be. He stung New Orleans for an 82-yard touchdown run and found the end zone again in the fourth quarter.

This was such an impressive performance that I’m at least willing to say Miles Sanders is back to “set it and forget it” territory after foolishly dialing expectations way back coming into Week 14 on every platform.

Time will tell if Hurts will have the same elevating effect on the receivers. Either way, it’s clear he makes Philadelphia a much better team and about one-million times more watchable.

Week 15 Dynasty Risers and Fallers: Eagles' Jalen Hurts is the real deal

Excerpt:

RISER: QB JALEN HURTS, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Quarterback is largely a replaceable position in leagues that don’t allow you to start multiple of them or don’t change their scoring output. And even then, their importance is often overstated. However, that doesn’t mean there isn’t value in finding a long-term answer at quarterback in dynasty leagues. Hurts is that answer.

The Eagles' rookie signal-caller didn’t throw the ball particularly well in his first start but that hardly matters from a fantasy angle. What was most important was his rushing ability and volume, as he notched 18 carries for 104 yards. It was the fifth-most rushing attempts for a quarterback since 2000 and one of just 42 games that saw a passer top the century mark on the ground in that time span. 

He managed those feats in his first start. It’s a small sample, but his college data suggests he should be one of the best running quarterbacks in the league. Removing yards lost on sacks, Hurts ran for 1,444 yards in his final season at Oklahoma. That ranked first among quarterbacks after removing Lynn Bowden Jr., who did not exclusively play quarterback in his senior season. There was over a 250-yard gap between Hurts and the next highest rushing total from a passer. 

He affirmed his athletic prowess with a 4.59-second 40-yard dash at the combine. The only pitfall to lasting value from Hurts will be if he bottoms out as a passer. His passing grade was the second-worst among quarterbacks in Week 14. However, that was just one game, and his college tape showed a player who wasn’t prone to making back-breaking mistakes. 

He logged just one turnover-worthy play on 36 dropbacks last week. Hurts essentially needs to hold onto the starting job to be locked into QB1 numbers because of his rushing ability alone. Potential improvements as a passer give him a sky-high upside.

Who are some of the QBs you guys are going to bench in favor of Hurts? I've seen Watson named a couple of times. Seems kind of crazy to me to consider starting him in the semifinals, yet I'm learning that way.

I am struggling between him and Rivers. Davante Adams bombed for me last night and my opponent has Aaron Jones so I am down at the moment. Thinking of starting Hurts for his upside. But Rivers is so consistent. 280 yards and 2 TD's every week. So, not sure what I'll do lol

Who are some of the QBs you guys are going to bench in favor of Hurts? I've seen Watson named a couple of times. Seems kind of crazy to me to consider starting him in the semifinals, yet I'm learning that way.
I have this decision and I’m probably sticking with Watson. If Cooks were to be out, I’d be much more inclined to take a chance on Hurts. 

I am struggling between him and Rivers. Davante Adams bombed for me last night and my opponent has Aaron Jones so I am down at the moment. Thinking of starting Hurts for his upside. But Rivers is so consistent. 280 yards and 2 TD's every week. So, not sure what I'll do lol
This is the same decision I've got. I had to face Waller on Thursday so I'm already down as well. Rivers and Hurts are pretty evenly ranked all over the place. There are tons of pros and cons to each.

I started Hurts before it was cool (he he) but I don't have as difficult of a decision to make as some of you all. Cam and Lock are my only other options. Eww. 

I don't know if I could start him over Watson. I guess it would depend on the rest of my team. I have a "swing for the fences" mentality in the playoffs though that has typically worked in my favor in the past. I traded away ARod and rode Kaep to back to back Championships with this dynasty team. 

I traded away a 2021 3rd (which became the 3.04) to move up three spots to draft Hurts at 3.10 this year to back up my Wentz commitment.  No regrets.  

He looks good (as in B/B+) with room to improve.  

Hope I'm not throwing a jinx his way.

I don't even care about the results; his process eliminates so many of the things plaguing the Iggles. Bad O-Line? He goes through his reads quick and his internal clock is quicker to leave the pocket. RPOs slow the pass rush a bit and revive Sanders as a RB. His ability to push the ball to the open man (not WR/RB/TE, open MAN) downfield is night and day over Carson Wentz. He's making the the job easier for his offensive talent.

Made some mistakes that ultimately cost us though. Safety and the back to back sacks on the second to the last possession. If that was Carson we'd be killing him for that. 
Its his second start.   If carson had started today we would have lost by 2 scores or more

I don't even care about the results; his process eliminates so many of the things plaguing the Iggles. Bad O-Line? He goes through his reads quick and his internal clock is quicker to leave the pocket. RPOs slow the pass rush a bit and revive Sanders as a RB. His ability to push the ball to the open man (not WR/RB/TE, open MAN) downfield is night and day over Carson Wentz. He's making the the job easier for his offensive talent.
1. You’ll care about the results soon

2. He’s not being given multiple reads. These are are defined one-read throws. This should have been down around week 2

3. Being quick to leave the pocket is not a good thing 

4. It’s not the QB that’s making the job easier. It’s the coach dumbing the offense down and something he should have done around week 4

Enjoy the stats while you can. These second halves will start to move into the first half sooner than you think like it does with every QB under Doug

Its his second start.   If carson had started today we would have lost by 2 scores
So one more score than we lost by is a victory? 

Love or hate Hurts he hasn’t done a single thing Wentz hasn’t done. 

We gotta get off this “it’s only his _____ start” stuff as well. Wentz’s second SEASON was MVP like. We’re talking about 2 games and we have all watched enough football to know just how smalL of a sample size that is. 

So one more score than we lost by is a victory? 

Love or hate Hurts he hasn’t done a single thing Wentz hasn’t done. 

We gotta get off this “it’s only his _____ start” stuff as well. Wentz’s second SEASON was MVP like. We’re talking about 2 games and we have all watched enough football to know just how smalL of a sample size that is. 
There were many, many plays in today's game where I thought to myself carson cannot make that play today.   You need to move past wentzs second season.   That guy has been gone for years.

Leave it to Eagles fans to come in here spreading their brand of holiday cheer! 

Wentz has looked shell-shocked this year. You guys don't have a lot of all world talent surrounding Hurts out there. He's looked way better through 2 starts then I ever thought he could possibly look in the NFL. 

Give me one more week of the FF stats at least?

Probably starting Hurts over Herbert next week.

Will be an underdog and need massive ceiling. Hurts provides 40 pt upside with this Dallas matchup.

Made some mistakes that ultimately cost us though. Safety and the back to back sacks on the second to the last possession. If that was Carson we'd be killing him for that. 
If it were Carson today, you'd have lost by 30. Unreal some of the criticisms I've read of Hurts the last two years. Dude's been uber elite during that time at both the highest of D1 levels and now with the big boys. And he's still being written down. Weird, the way so many people see this dude.

FACT - barring some insane night by Big Bum tomorrow, Hurts will finish week 15 (yes, THAT week 15 - as in one of the two holy grail weeks of FF) as the #1 QB. Not a QB1, the QB1.

If it were Carson today, you'd have lost by 30. Unreal some of the criticisms I've read of Hurts the last two years. Dude's been uber elite during that time at both the highest of D1 levels and now with the big boys. And he's still being written down. Weird, the way so many people see this dude.

FACT - barring some insane night by Big Bum tomorrow, Hurts will finish week 15 (yes, THAT week 15 - as in one of the two holy grail weeks of FF) as the #1 QB. Not a QB1, the QB1.
Here we go.

There were many, many plays in today's game where I thought to myself carson cannot make that play today.   You need to move past wentzs second season.   That guy has been gone for years.
This is what I saw too. The guy is legit. I thought he out played Kyler. I guess the eagles brass had a better understanding of their quarterback situation than most of us did. They made the right move.

Probably starting Hurts over Herbert next week.

Will be an underdog and need massive ceiling. Hurts provides 40 pt upside with this Dallas matchup.
I guess you didn't see the pass D that Denver was employing this week.  Really can't go wrong either way.

It’s definitely way too early to canonize Hurts. He has to show it on a consistent basis and when teams have a full set of film on him.

Still, incredibly impressive how he’s been able to step right in and play at such a high level.

I guess you didn't see the pass D that Denver was employing this week.  Really can't go wrong either way.
Both are obviously good plays, but as of now, I'll be a serious underdog and I've got to think Hurts has more ceiling with his legs. Have plenty of time to flip flop and deliberate. 

I have not really developed a sense yet of what Hurts' dynasty value is, but it is undeniably ascending sharply.  Is Hurts a dynasty hold, or are you selling high?  Or if you need a dynasty QB, are you looking to acquire Hurts while there still remains some uncertainty surrounding his future role?

The Eagles have invested heavily in Wentz, and he is not long removed from a top ten 2019 season.  Other NFL teams will likely be unwilling to assume Wentz's hefty contract; so the Eagles may be unable to trade Wentz.  Still, Hurts is clearly out-playing Wentz and has seemingly put himself in the driver's seat for the 2021 starting gig in Philly.

What is Hurts fetching on the dynasty trading block?  What would you sell or buy Hurts for?

Would you rather . . . ?

Jalen Hurts or Dak Prescott?

Jalen Hurts or Phillip Lindsay?

Jalen Hurts or James Robinson?

Jalen Hurts or Jerry Jeudy?

Jalen Hurts or Kenny Golladay?

Jalen Hurts or T.J. Hockenson?

Jalen Hurts or Irv Smith Jr.?

Jalen Hurts or a 2021 2nd round rookie pick?  Late first?

Users who are viewing this thread