What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jalen Hurts, PHI (1 Viewer)

My take (no representation of its veracity) is that Hurts was more of a guy that could hit open guys, whereas Mayfield and Murray could throw guys open. When you're throwing to CeeDee Lamb against Big 12 defenses, that's usually gonna be enough for huge numbers.

I think Hurts is a pretty bright guy that put in the work and was there for spring ball, so my guess is that time in the system wasn't a huge consideration, but certainly just a guess.
Fair though throwing to Hollywood Brown and CeeDee Lamb was a nice set up for Kyler. I imagine those guys were open a lot. Baker had Hollywood, Lamb and Mark Andrews. Hurts probably had the worst cast of the three.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mister CIA said:
I can't get a bag of chips for Hurts in my start 1 qb dynasty league.  I own Wentz and Hurts and I approached 5 different owners trying to get a low-to-mid 3rd rounder for either and I got nothing but "thanks but no thanks."

Edit: one or two of my offers may have targeted very late 2nd rounders.
That doesn't make much sense to me. He showed enough to get a 2nd in a 1QB league (that's all I play in).

The Hurts owner was looking for a late 1st or early 2nd and then came to me with a Hurts for Drake. I'm waiting to make sure Philly doesn't do anything weird in the draft and then will probably make the deal.

NBC Sports Edge take:

Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni refused to name Jalen Hurts as the team's starter and said there would be a quarterback competition this summer. 

Sirianni's announcement of a QB competition in Philadelphia can be seen as a rebuke of owner Jeffrey Laurie's reported desire for Jalen Hurts to get the Week 1 starting job. Beleaguered Eagles general manager Howie Roseman has denied those reports. Right now, Hurts would have the seemingly easy job of beating out Joe Flacco for the starting job, assuming the team doesn't draft a quarterback in the first couple rounds of next week's NFL Draft. "To name a starter at this particular time... we've been working with these guys for two days," said Sirianni, who apparently doesn't have access to film of Hurts' four 2020 starts. Hurts averaged 21.3 fantasy points in those starts -- seventh highest among QBs over the season's final month. He should be the Eagles' starter come September. 

RELATED: 

Joe Flacco

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Apr 21, 2021, 11:43 AM ET

Dr. Octopus said:
It’s funny how Rotoworld gets so snarky about something so innocent and so common (especially for a new HC with a team that doesn’t really have an incumbent starter) and tries to spin it into come kind of incompetence.

Shame on them.
They really are tough to digest these days. Sad thing is, as the season wears on, you come to depend on sources like that to a degree when it comes down to something like knowing whether a team's fifth or sixth wide receiver will start because of injuries or something like that. I'm talking redraft here. They'd do better to keep the Twitter snark and narrative attitude out of their blurbs so they're readable and informative again.

You have to drive content and clicks. I like the NBC Edge/Rotoworld crew, you just have to realize that their job really is: drive traffic. 

Sorry if this has already been answered in this thread, but what is the approximate pick value of Hurts in this draft should someone want to trade for him?  My gut says to be careful because I don't get the warm and fuzzy feeling the coaches are sold on him.

Sorry if this has already been answered in this thread, but what is the approximate pick value of Hurts in this draft should someone want to trade for him?  My gut says to be careful because I don't get the warm and fuzzy feeling the coaches are sold on him.
The other 11 owners in my 1QB dynasty don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling either.   I was asking for anyone willing to offer up one of their picks in exchange for Hurts & my 2.4.   I thought I might get a token 2.2 or 2.3 offer.   Maybe even a late first that would give me something to think about, but I received zero response.

Straight up?  I probably would take the profit and sell for mid-late 2nd.  However, I would rather have the Hurts lottery ticket than a 3.1.   

Obviously it's a completely different equation in a 2QB / superflex, but in a 12-team 1QB, I think there's just too much hype on this draft's QB class.  Anyone in the market for a starting QB or upside backup is setting their sights on a rookie. 

I'm expecting Lance to go somewhere in the 2nd in my draft.   I think Hurts vs Lance is a fair question for dynasty value.   I feel like Lance might ultimately have the higher upside and a better chance to hit.  However, I personally assess a lot of value to the fact that I should know what I have in Hurts pretty early in the 2021 season.  I'm not expecting that to be the case with Lance, so the idea of keeping him around for the better part of a year before finding out makes Hurts > Lance in my value assessment, but it's close.   This is my probability tree for Jalen Hurts and his most likely range of fantasy outcomes:

10% -   homerun, the next La-Jax, Dak, Watson

30% -  useful fantasy asset, anywhere from a poor man's Dak / low end fantasy QB1 to high-end QB2

60% - QB2 of little consequence in 1QB league, marginal value above a streaming option, anywhere from a fantasy roster clogger to a complete bust for fantasy and NFL

But the possibility of seeing something that looks like the top 10-20% outcome after week 3 of the 2021 season is worth something. 

That doesn't make much sense to me. He showed enough to get a 2nd in a 1QB league (that's all I play in).

The Hurts owner was looking for a late 1st or early 2nd and then came to me with a Hurts for Drake. I'm waiting to make sure Philly doesn't do anything weird in the draft and then will probably make the deal.
Went through with this.

I gave: K.Drake, AJ Green, 2.5
He gave: J.Hurts, S.Watkins, 2.2, 2022 3rd

He owns Jacobs and is set up for a run, so he felt is was worth it (he also has Murray, Stafford, Tannehill).

Got him for Gurley and 2.8 in a single QB league right after the Wentz trade. 

If I were after a qb then I'd try to pick Lance then Fields. If unsuccessful I'd try to trade for Hurts, but would be comfortable with Wilson as plan b.

JALEN HURTS QB, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane said it "remains to be seen" whether Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni will install run-pass options in the team's offense. 

Sirianni, the Colts offensive coordinator from 2018-2020, has been reluctant in committing to Jalen Hurts as the team's Week 1 starter or their long-term answer at QB. McLane said when the excitable Sirianni "first started installing the offense with his coaches, there wasn’t much in terms of the quarterback read run game or run-pass option plays." He's emphasized that quarterbacks in his system must abide by certain principles. “All great players in their own right, all like to do things differently, though, right? And our job as coaches is to adapt to the players we have, and run the plays they like, but we also have a system.” Hurts -- who completed 52 percent of his passes in 2020 -- hardly fits the profile of signal callers Sirianni has coached, including Andrew Luck and the statuesque Philip Rivers. Hurts' mobility makes him an enticing fantasy producer, but a stubborn Sirianni could set up the second-year QB to fail in 2021. Joe Flacco, who signed with the Eagles this offseason, would presumably be Hurts' backup. 

RELATED: 

Joe Flacco

SOURCE:  Inquirer.com

May 17, 2021, 8:49 AM ET

As long as he’s the starter he will be valuable for fantasy because of his rushing.  Main reason why I like Lance over Fields, Wilson, and Jones.

I get the feeling that even with a good season where hurts shows promise, the eagles will address the quarterback position next offseason. He’ll pretty much have to take the league by storm to avoid being replaced, and given the eagles roster I just don’t see that happening. I would sell if I could get anything of value

I get the feeling that even with a good season where hurts shows promise, the eagles will address the quarterback position next offseason. He’ll pretty much have to take the league by storm to avoid being replaced, and given the eagles roster I just don’t see that happening. I would sell if I could get anything of value
They do have the easiest strength of schedule in the NFL this year on their side.

And they are going to be trailing all the time.  The secondary is trash 
Not sure that’s good for Hurts though. He’s probably best in a more run heavy offense. I know SOS doesn’t always carry over year to year but maybe they catch a break on that level. It’s just a strange situation how a team would spend a 2nd round pick on a player and then even if he ends up playing pretty well in year 2 consider just totally moving on. It’s a risk but just an odd risk to me. 

My counter to this if he plays well he'll be someones starting QB.

It’s just a strange situation how a team would spend a 2nd round pick on a player and then even if he ends up playing pretty well in year 2 consider just totally moving on. It’s a risk but just an odd risk to me. 
Spending a second on a QB when you had a fairly young Wentz locked up seemed odd to me but they almost dumb lucked into this situation with respect to I doubt they forecast Wentz not being part of the team but now in a likely rebuild year they get to take an extended look at Hurts. I feel like it worked out for them but no way was this the plan when they took him.

They also could not have planned on having potentially 3 #1 picks in 22 and that changes things. So to me nothing odd if they decide that Hurts is good but they can use that haul to do better, like Watson.

I will say I’m listening to the Underdog pod with Josh Norris. He interviewed the Athletic writer covering the Eagles and he said the teams plan has been to implement an offense that suits the players, not the other way around. Hopefully that’s a good sign.

Not sure that’s good for Hurts though. He’s probably best in a more run heavy offense. I know SOS doesn’t always carry over year to year but maybe they catch a break on that level. It’s just a strange situation how a team would spend a 2nd round pick on a player and then even if he ends up playing pretty well in year 2 consider just totally moving on. It’s a risk but just an odd risk to me. 
i think hurts will get a legit shot this year and if he shows improvement i think they stick with him.

all that said i do think the smoke around watson is for real and they could trade for him......

i think hurts will get a legit shot this year and if he shows improvement i think they stick with him.

all that said i do think the smoke around watson is for real and they could trade for him......
But if they traded for Watson I would have to assume that Houston would want Hurts going back the other way so he should still be a starter in that scenario as well.  

Gally said:
But if they traded for Watson I would have to assume that Houston would want Hurts going back the other way so he should still be a starter in that scenario as well.  
Right, I guess hopefully he plays well enough to be the starter somewhere next year 

Taking Stock

Excerpt:

JALEN HURTS

Hurts has been up and down so far. He’s gotten better each day, which is a good sign. Some people think Hurts should be shining since he’s in a practice setting, can’t get hit and has improved weapons. You have to remember that he’s only in Year 2 in the NFL and this is his first time running this offense. Very few QBs are going to thrive under those conditions.

The key is for him to show talent and continue to improve. As he gets a better feel for the offense and his teammates, Hurts should play better. He’ll know where his checkdown options are. He’ll know where to go with the ball against specific looks. Timing will get better. All of these things take time, especially for someone who is more of a gamer than a practice player.

A.J. Feeley almost got cut by Andy Reid early on because of his practice struggles. Once in a game, he came alive. Sam Bradford was a better practice player. That setting brought out the best in him.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be critical of Hurts. I have serious concerns about whether he can actually be the long term starter for the Eagles. I do think it is important to be patient with him and keep expectations realistic.

So down on this guy at his price. Bust potential all over him. 
He's also fits the mode of what we've seen from the most valuable fantasy QBs the last 2 years (Lamar, Allen, Kyler). Young player who had mixed play in their previous years but showed a lot of potential, especially rushing. Lots of doubters and some flaws limited them to mid round draft capital. Mahomes sort of fits that too. He wasn't a rusher but was coming in to year 2 with only a 1 game resume. 

He's also fits the mode of what we've seen from the most valuable fantasy QBs the last 2 years (Lamar, Allen, Kyler). Young player who had mixed play in their previous years but showed a lot of potential, especially rushing. Lots of doubters and some flaws limited them to mid round draft capital. Mahomes sort of fits that too. He wasn't a rusher but was coming in to year 2 with only a 1 game resume. 
couple of things:

- none cost a 6th round pick

- all had higher nfl draft capital

- none had deshaun rumors floating around them

- none had mixed reviews out of camp like this

just too rich for my blood in a very stacked qb year. Happy to take him as a 2, or double up with Tanehill immediately after, but that just increases his cost. 

note - I just looked at his ado which is falling, so perhaps his cost will be more in line come end of TC. 

couple of things:

- none cost a 6th round pick

- all had higher nfl draft capital

- none had deshaun rumors floating around them

- none had mixed reviews out of camp like this

just too rich for my blood in a very stacked qb year. Happy to take him as a 2, or double up with Tanehill immediately after, but that just increases his cost. 

note - I just looked at his ado which is falling, so perhaps his cost will be more in line come end of TC. 
Yeah, his cost is on Underdog right now is late 7th-early 8th. Even if Watson gets traded to Philly, it likely would include Hurts to Houston. Neither offense is particularly better than the other. I will say, the Philly organization has been really non-committal to him, but they also didn't draft Fields or Mac where they had the chance this year. Plus, the OC did come out today and say that they were building the offense to suit Hurts' strengths. Sure, he could be a bust but as long as he is playing, it's likely he is doing well for fantasy because of the rushing. It's worth the risk IMO. 

Speaking after Thursday's preseason season, Eagles coach Nick Sirianni revealed Jalen Hurts was evaluated at the hospital for abdominal pain. 

"He came back, everything is good and he’s going to be OK," Sirianni said after Hurts' last-minute scratch. "He had pain in his abdomen. ... For a guy like that to tell us, he’s a tough guy, so it must have been hurting pretty good for him to let us know about that.” It's good news that Hurts' situation has already seemed to resolve itself, but it was a missed opportunity under Philly's new coaching staff. The Eagles were utterly abysmal in Hurts' absence, getting blanked by the Patriots. Provided the Eagles decide to play their starters, dual-threat Hurts will get his final live reps of the summer next Friday against the Jets. 

SOURCE: Brandon Gowton on Twitter

Aug 19, 2021, 11:29 PM ET

Local Philly sports talk hinting that this whole thing was a fishy ploy just to hold Hurts out for the game. It's all a sham...

1/2 the teams out there aren't playing their starters, why would they feel the need to make something up to justify it? 
Because they are trying really hard to not let on that Hurts is their starter. It’s ridiculous because nobody in their right mind believes they would start Flacco but I really think they are trying to get some kind of competitive advantage by not showing their hand.

Users who are viewing this thread