What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Late Round / UDFA Targets (Dynasty) (1 Viewer)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
I know it's early, but let's be honest most of us are bored and counting down the days to the NFL draft so we can fire up more debates and finalize our rankings. 

At this point you may have an idea of the likely late round / UDFAs; who do you like? 

Around this time last year we were talking about Preston Williams. Combine snub and expected late pick/UDFA. 

Who is on your list this year? 

I don't know if I would qualify him as "late round" but a guy who isn't going in the first two rounds who I've got my eye on is Jalen Hurts.  He's got Lamar Jackson upside if he lands in the right situation.

Southern Illinois TE named Nigel Kilby worked out at Northwestern today with 25 NFL teams represented.

6'7 1/2/254

83" wingspan

10 4/8 hand

4.66 40

Broad 10'6

Just looking up his stats he had 34/437/4 his first season playing at Eastern Michigan. Transferred to Garden City CC and went 34/437/10. Then made his way to SIU were he did next to nothing really except catch 8 TD's on just 31 receptions in two years.

I've never heard of the guy. Will try and hunt video on him.

They aren't on my potential lists if they don't have 3000 career rushing or receiving yards except for TEs. You figure it out. :)

I'm assuming you mean in rookie drafts since you reference Preston Williams.  None this year that I like nearly as much either.

RB's

DeeJay Dallas is one who's interesting to me 

Same with Rico Dowdle except I like him more than Dallas

Darius Anderson was a personal favorite of mine before he fell to irrelevant stature after the combine

Is Darrynton Evans an under the radar type?  

I've heard some mention Reggie Corbin in a few places, personally I don't see it but he's a name

Patrick Taylor is a very poor mans Kerryon Johnson for those that like him

Antonio Gibson too but someone mentioned him already and he isn't late round's

WR's

Gabriel Davis is my favorite later round guy, he's flying under the radar for sure and with how good the draft class looks could be a nice 3rd round rookie option

DPJ and Lynn Bowden are probably my 2 later guys I want to grab (even later than Davis)

Quez Watkins because he's fast I guess

Super late maybe Isaiah Hodgins, Dezmon Patmon, or Joe Reed

Most of those are probably 4th round or later (Darrynton Evans, Gabriel Davis, DPJ and Bowden possibly 3rd round in rookie drafts)

Not sure what is a sleeper anymore so I will try and just mention someone I've not seen brought up.

Some people who are paid to know these things say Isiah Coulter of Rhode Island will be a third round pick in the real NFL draft which in a loaded WR class for a guy no one is talking about seems like sleeper.

Some thoughts on players mentioned and again I don't know how much these guys are sleepers:

Antonio Gibson- I don't know what he is but how do you ignore a 228 pound guy running a 4.39 40 who scored 12 TD's on 77 touches? And Patrick Taylor  who lost his season to injury.  Henderson and Pollard last year. How on earth did Memphis ever become pass catching RB U?

Darrynton Evans-knew his name but not his game before the combine. Never watched him. Did the night he ran. One of most entertaining players of the year I've watched. You do see the speed. The way he sets up his moves and operates in space both as runner and receiver are thrilling. Skinny lower body but he's kind of electric.

Quez Watkins-did not know his name or his game before the combine. Again you do see the speed on tape(which I don't with Claypool as example). After I watched him I thought he reminds me Emmanuel Sanders with his speed, reach and way he catches the ball. Checked Sanders combine. Yep.

If we say that guys in the top 30 on this list from @miqws are the ones who are "on the radar", along with all the TEs & QBs in the top 50, then here are some under-the-radar guys that I'm interested in:

RB: Darrynton Evans, Michael Warren
WR: Quez Watkins, Omar Bayless, Isaiah Hodgins, Antonio Gandy-Golden, Trishton Jackson, Geraud Sanders, Gabriel Davis, Darnell Mooney
TE: Jacob Breeland
??: Antonio Gibson, Lynn Bowden Jr.

I’ll check later but Kirk Merritt and Caleb Huntley will players that will either go late or undrafted that I will probably roster for preseason.

I don't know if I would qualify him as "late round" but a guy who isn't going in the first two rounds who I've got my eye on is Jalen Hurts.  He's got Lamar Jackson upside if he lands in the right situation.
It's not impossible and with his price tag he's surely a cheap upside grab, but Jackson was a pretty prolific passer in college and Hurts was not.

A lot ofmy guys have been mentioned here, but QB James Morgan is a player I'm watching for landing spot and looking at grabbing post rookie draft waivers 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Octopus said:
Putting up passing stats - Hurts did much better in the Oklahoma system and like I said has upside but Jackson was considered the better passer as a prospect (although he had his detractors as well).
Lamar never once had a 60% completion percentage. He was hardly “prolific”. In fact, I would go as far as to say that a huge portion of NFL scouts, fans and media never thought Lamar would do what he did this past season. Especially the way he finished against the Chargers last year. If I could find Lamar’s comparison to Hurts in that chart I would, but I don’t need to. It’s up against an all time historic season of Burrow and an all time collegiate player in Tua. Hurts has been a way more efficient thrower, has tested at a high rate of velocity and excelled as a passer and as a leader in two top programs. 

Lamar never once had a 60% completion percentage. He was hardly “prolific”. In fact, I would go as far as to say that a huge portion of NFL scouts, fans and media never thought Lamar would do what he did this past season. Especially the way he finished against the Chargers last year. If I could find Lamar’s comparison to Hurts in that chart I would, but I don’t need to. It’s up against an all time historic season of Burrow and an all time collegiate player in Tua. Hurts has been a way more efficient thrower, has tested at a high rate of velocity and excelled as a passer and as a leader in two top programs. 
I can admit one of my "plant your flag" moments from last year is I said the Jackson experiment would be a failure  :bag:

The NFL is a copy cat league, and I'd argue that Hurts is a better passer today than Jackson was at this stage of his process. 

I am intrigued by Hurts, but Baltimore went all in on designing their offense around Jackson. It was either going to be a massive success or a huge failure. Arizona is doing the same thing. It would be neccessary for whomever drafts Hurts to commit to the same thing, which seems like common sense, but weve seen coaches and GMs trying to fit a square peg in a round hole before. 

I would take Hurts late 3rd round or as an UDFA/4th round pick if my league went past the 3rd. Hes a long shot but has big upside for sure. 

What if Dallas went for him? 

What if Dallas went for him? 
Be an ideal backup/possible longterm replacement to Dak, especially if they don't agree on a long term deal. I would however actually be surprised if he's still on the board if Dallas sits in their spot in round 2.  Thought admittedly that's hard to say before FA and how round one goes but I think if teams like Chargers, Colts and Raiders don't address QB in round one or FA their interest in him will be very high.

I will add one, and it's the only time I will share....

Kendrick Rogers, Texas A&M.    Dude almost single handedly beat LSU in that multiple OT game 2 seasons ago.

This year, had a hurt ankle in August, and I don't think he was ever healthy this past year.     Need to look at his metrics from the combine, but I will adding him as a cheap 4th rounder on all my teams.

Interestingly enough, Van Jefferson went undrafted in my league

Gabriel Davis as well

Deejay Dallas may be a target of mine. Last I read he was a possibility for 3rd down work

Interestingly enough, Van Jefferson went undrafted in my league

Gabriel Davis as well

Deejay Dallas may be a target of mine. Last I read he was a possibility for 3rd down work
Love DeeJay Dallas. Both Carson and Penny are/will get hurt. Carroll plays late round guys if they produce. Has legit top 15 upside if given the shot.

For the first time in a long time I hate most of the UDFA RB’s. Names I like that are UDFA, going undrafted in rookie leagues or too late:

QB: James Morgan

RB: Tavien Feaster, Raymond Calais, Jason Huntley, James Robinson, Art Pierce, Adrian Killins, Michael Warren, Salvon Ahmed, JaMychal Hasty

WR: Gabriel Davis, Isaiah Hodgins, Darnell Mooney, Quez Watkins, Aaron Parker, Mason Kinsey, Quintez Cephus, Jauan Jennings, Marquez Calloway

TE: Albert O., Dalton Keene, Josiah Deguara, Hunter Bryant, Thad Moss

James Robinson behind a volatile Fournette and a JAG'y Armstead is interesting.
It’s not. I said the same thing about Damarea Crockett and Karan Higdon last year. I mean, it’s cool when you unearth a Arian Foster or Fast Willie Parker but let’s be honest there are thousands and thousands of UDFA’s that fail out of the league. Robinson’s comp’s weren’t even great if he had made it into the third round. I think he was most comparable to Roy Helu. His 40 time isn’t great and Devine Ozigbo and him may as well be twins. Honestly, I like Feaster more despite his lack of production. He’s a big back, former 5 star who had blazing speeds in track. Just my two cents.

“100m results:
Tavien Feaster(Jr Year): 10.42
CJ Spiller(Sr): 10.42
Sammy Watkins(Sr): 10.45
Chris Johnson(Sr): 10.5
Todd Gurley(Sr): 10.7”

Quintez Chephus is mine;  all he has to do is beat out an old ### Amendola and Allison and he  also could get more work after Marvin or Golladay leaves

It’s not. I said the same thing about Damarea Crockett and Karan Higdon last year. I mean, it’s cool when you unearth a Arian Foster or Fast Willie Parker but let’s be honest there are thousands and thousands of UDFA’s that fail out of the league. Robinson’s comp’s weren’t even great if he had made it into the third round. I think he was most comparable to Roy Helu. His 40 time isn’t great and Devine Ozigbo and him may as well be twins. Honestly, I like Feaster more despite his lack of production. He’s a big back, former 5 star who had blazing speeds in track. Just my two cents.
He was on your "names I like" list. :confused:

(Many of which I agree with, BTW)

What I mean by 'interesting' - he wasn't drafted in any of my leagues. They're IDP and the drafts varied in length but they're between 72 and 90-some picks with roster sizes of 40-63. I haven't added him yet, but he's near the top of my list should information change with respect to his situation or players currently on my roster. 

UDFA's are inherently long shots. Anyone expecting any of them to be anything more than that is kidding themselves. The most important component to them connecting is opportunity. Talent is of course also necessary, but there may not be a worse measure of 'talent' than the 40. His 87.8 SPARQ - a 125" broad, 40" vertical, and 4.19 shuttle at 5'9 219. That has my attention. I don't put much stock in film from small school prospects, but I think that unknown makes him more interesting. So you have a plus athlete with wildcard tape in arguably the best RB situation a UDFA could find in the league.

Sounds good to me. Relatively speaking anyway.

Quintez Chephus is mine;  all he has to do is beat out an old ### Amendola and Allison and he  also could get more work after Marvin or Golladay leaves
He is the only Lion under contract beyond this year. I think he's one of those types that's better with pads on than off, so I think there is a path through his lack of athleticism. Him, Tyler Johnson, and Isaiah Coulter are my favorite wide receiver fliers outside pick 150.

He was on your "names I like" list. :confused:

(Many of which I agree with, BTW)
Mostly due to Jacksonville being open if Fournette is out the door. He’s ok. I had him ranked higher precombine. He had massive production at a small school as a pure runner. I just wanted to emphasize that gun to my head if I had to bet on a Jacksonville UDFA it would be neither Robinson or Ozigbo it would be Feaster. If you’re in a deep enough league I wouldn’t fault you for stacking all three. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jonathan Ward only needs to beat out a 7th rounder to make the Cardinals. Caught ton of balls in college, and has no testing data. Eno Benjamin going in 3rd-4th round, this guy is free. 

Tavien Feaster and James Robinson has nice highlight clips, he's a big boy, and JAX backfield could be in flux.  Also has no testing data. More likely than making the Jags, I could see him making another teams' PS based on preseason performance. 

Malcolm Perry moving to WR for MIA. He's interesting. 

Jonathan Ward only needs to beat out a 7th rounder to make the Cardinals. Caught ton of balls in college, and has no testing data. Eno Benjamin going in 3rd-4th round, this guy is free. 

Tavien Feaster and James Robinson has nice highlight clips, he's a big boy, and JAX backfield could be in flux.  Also has no testing data. More likely than making the Jags, I could see him making another teams' PS based on preseason performance. 

Malcolm Perry moving to WR for MIA. He's interesting. 
I forgot about Ward. He measured out really well from a production standpoint. Great receiver out of college. Cardinals know their type.

Here are players 34-60 in my rookie rankings:

34 RB DeeJay Dallas
35 WR Tyler Johnson
36 WR Antonio Gandy-Golden
37 WR Gabriel Davis
38 TE Devin Asiasi
39 TE Adam Trautman
40 WR Collin Johnson
41 WR Isaiah Coulter
42 TE Dalton Keene
43 TE Albert Okwuegbunam
44 RB Jason Huntley
45 WR Quintez Cephus
46 RB Eno Benjamin
47 RB Raymond Calais
48 RB Malcolm Perry
49 QB Jordan Love
50 QB Jalen Hurts
51 TE Josiah Deguara
52 TE Harrison Bryant
53 WR Joe Reed
54 WR Donovan Peoples-Jones
55 WR John Hightower
56 TE Colby Parkinson
57 WR Darnell Mooney
58 WR Quez Watkins
59 WR Isaiah Hodgins
60 WR KJ Hill

I’ll check later but Kirk Merritt and Caleb Huntley will players that will either go late or undrafted that I will probably roster for preseason.
Looking up a guy I had never heard of in Kirk Merritt sure was interesting. 

Let me tell you about the peculiar case of Kirk Merritt. The prospect hidden in the shadows may just be the most athletic WR in this entire draft class. Merritt wasn’t invited to the combine. At Arkansas State’s pro-day Merritt was able to participate, where he destroyed expectations. These were his results:

4.33 in the 40-yard dash (2nd among combine WRs)

4.02 in the 20-yard shuttle (1st among combine WRs)

45.5-inch vertical jump (1st among combine WRs)

23 bench press reps (1st among combine WRs)

11’3” broad jump (3rd among combine WRs)

All of that at 6’0” 215-pounds, and all results were verified by former NFL scout, Josh Cox. The athleticism is nothing new as he won the Nike SPARQ National Championship in high school (2014) and was a track and field star in Louisiana. In his Senior year of high school, he ran a 10.45 100m.

The Long and Winding Road

Coverage for Kirk Merritt appears to have been sparse in the Dynasty community. That could be due to his peculiar college road. Merritt began his college career at Oregon in 2015. He played some of his Freshman season, before leaving due to “family situations”. He then joined Texas A&M but was dismissed from the team due to indecent exposure on campus. That led him to go the JUCO route. Any Last Chance U fans out there will recognize his Alma Matter, as he played for East Mississippi Community College. He was part of the 2017 team that won the NJCAA championship before finally joining up with Arkansas State in 2018.
Apparently he exposed himself to a tutor, and was kicked off A&M. That alone is enough to go undrafted.

He has returner experience, impressed at the NFLPA game, and has the UDFA profile I am looking for, athletic guy who may have been overlooked for various reasons. 

Behind Devante and Preston, and a bunch of JAGs.  His ST ability might help him make the team, short term. 

His name isn't in the MFL database yet, no reason to draft him, unless you roll with huge rosters and deep drafts (I do actually, so I may throw a late round pick at him). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeG0WSCEIh8

Kid is an athlete.

Looking up a guy I had never heard of in Kirk Merritt sure was interesting. 

Apparently he exposed himself to a tutor, and was kicked off A&M. That alone is enough to go undrafted.

He has returner experience, impressed at the NFLPA game, and has the UDFA profile I am looking for, athletic guy who may have been overlooked for various reasons. 

Behind Devante and Preston, and a bunch of JAGs.  His ST ability might help him make the team, short term. 

His name isn't in the MFL database yet, no reason to draft him, unless you roll with huge rosters and deep drafts (I do actually, so I may throw a late round pick at him). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeG0WSCEIh8

Kid is an athlete.
Also for anyone following along I meant Jason Huntley. Caleb is still in school for Ball State.

Tried to see if Pete Guerriero has been signed, he hasn’t. Surprising given his athletic profile.

ETA: Merritt entered college as a RB as well.

Also for anyone following along I meant Jason Huntley.
ADP is non-existent. UDFA getting taken over him.  

Fantasy owner all smarter than NFL, I guess. 

This is a tough year to take UDFA over drafted players. No minicamp, who knows how much TC.  

@EBF was a Merritt guy for deep devy back when he was a heralded athlete committing to Oregon, I remember clearly and filed that named away. Because I did the same when EBF put a little known track freak named Tyreek Hill on my radar before he blew up too. Hell, before he ever got drafted or even got in trouble in college.

Not to say Merritt is a Tyreek type sleeper. Just saying that EBF was the first person on any fantasy site I'd seen utter Tyreek's name as a guy to watch, years early if I remember correctly and before he transferred, purely due to his athleticism. And Merritt too, who is also a hell of an athlete. 

I have roster spots, and want some RB depth, so I am going to snag a few of these guys, and hope one or two sticks on 53 man roster:

Jonathan Ward
Artavis Pierce
Tavien Feaster
Salvon Ahmed
Scottie Phillips
Patrick Taylor

There's one nice thing about rookie RBs: If they don't make the 53 man, you can cut right away. WRs gets hazier, a UDFA can make a team, and still be useless.  

Users who are viewing this thread