What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What’s the farthest you’d drive to work each day? (1 Viewer)

fruity pebbles

Footballguy
Right now I’m about ten minutes away each way. Obviously nothing. Looking to buy a new house. Fallen in love with one that’s on an island, ocean view, with a bridge that connects to the mainland so no boats or anything. Problem is it’s 50 minutes each way. Beautiful house, would be double the price if it were closer.  How old does a 50 minute drive get each way 5 days a week? 

Right now I’m about ten minutes away each way. Obviously nothing. Looking to buy a new house. Fallen in love with one that’s on an island, ocean view, with a bridge that connects to the mainland so no boats or anything. Problem is it’s 50 minutes each way. Beautiful house, would be double the price if it were closer.  How old does a 50 minute drive get each way 5 days a week? 
I manage a store that is 8 miles away from me—but because of traffic—it takes me approximately 30 mins each way  to work and back.  I find that to be very tolerable—and being that I love where I live—it’s totally worth it.  We also have offices in LA where I have to work one day out of every 10. Takes me 2 hours each way—and I absolutely dread it.   50 minutes to an hour each way would probably be the maximum drive time each way that I’d tolerate on a regular basis.  Keep in mind that you’re basically adding around 1.5-2 hours to your work day once you factor in the commute.  Any more than that can become fairly exhausting based on how grueling your job is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to say 30 min is my max, but if you love the house, 50 is doable, depending on traffic, of course.  50 min in traffic is much worse than a nice 50 min drive in the country.

Also, see if you can WFH at least part time.

I’m a nurse in the OR, can’t work from home. It is a leisurely drive. First 20 minutes through the islands, last 30 mainly highway.

I used to drive out to Long Island from Queens against traffic on the LIE. About 35 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes coming home. Never really bothered me so I think 50 would be ok too. Especially, as others have said, if it's a more leisurely drive. The LIE is anything but.

I’m a nurse in the OR, can’t work from home. It is a leisurely drive. First 20 minutes through the islands, last 30 mainly highway.
Kids?  family?  other hobbies on a regular basis?

I wouldn't mind if it was a mostly easy drive.  Would enjoy the "alone" time and enjoy driving.  The downside for me would be my kid's activities as I help coach their teams or watch them compete.

Kids?  family?  other hobbies on a regular basis?

I wouldn't mind if it was a mostly easy drive.  Would enjoy the "alone" time and enjoy driving.  The downside for me would be my kid's activities as I help coach their teams or watch them compete.
That’s an issue as well. Kids school would be 40 minutes away. That was included in the five days a week. I work three 12s, other two days I have the kids and every other weekend. Right now I drop them off at school in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon but it’s 15 minutes away. This house would be 40 from their school which is in the district my ex lives. When I have the kids there is plenty to do out on the islands. 

Biggest question i have is how often is there a traffic problem on that bridge?

My currenr commute is 20ish miles in roughly 40 minutes. But I have to cross a bridge on a heavily traveled interstate. If there's an issue on that bridge, and it happens way too often, I'm hosed. My alternative routes basically double my time.

50 minutes is not bad. Schedule work calls during it and it just becomes an extension of your work day.

50 minutes is my max, but it has to be a consistent 50 minutes. At my old job, if I left work on time, then I got home within 45-50 minutes. But if I was just a few minutes late getting out of the office, then I'd get stuck in rush hour traffic and my commute would end up being at least 90 minutes. Ugh.

My commute varies(the nature of being an electrician) and I've had a commute as short as 3 minutes. Currently we're looking at doing a new building that's well over an hour away from where I live.

14-17 years ago I drove just over an hour to law school. Back then gas was 99¢, I drove a Civic and this was Kansas. traffic was hardly ever an issue even through Topeka at rush hour. I didn't mind, I'd listen to audiobooks or sports radio or bar prep books.  After my first year I was able to just go 3 days a week most semesters. I did miss out on a lot of local activities but with two kids under 5 at home, I probably wasn't going to participate as much as I'd like anyway.

Now,  I'd only want to travel more than 45 minutes by bike, walking, or train. Maybe if it meant my kids were in a great school district I'd go up to an hour with the right conditions. 

In your scenario the bridge would give me pause. The risk of delay there might make it not worth while. 

I drive 2 hours one way. I live in the sticks. All of my extended family live nearby. My wife and kids don’t want to move. I have 13 acres with a stocked pond and a 4,000 sq ft house that would be way out of my price range closer to the DC metro area. I have been doing this commute for 4 years. 

I have recently begun job hunting. For 14 years my commute was 50 minutes and was no big deal.

I drive ~ 60 minutes one way everyday.   But its a super easy drive 99% of the time.

The things that suck is dr appointments or events at my kids school - I have to take more than 1 hour to do it.  Where in the past I could take time in the day then go back to work.

This is about my limit.  But its a super easy drive.   My drive into Philly was only 30-45 minutes but it was way worse because of traffic.   

60 is about my limit.   Its easier to commute since my wife works close to home and my kid is older now also, we live where we live for the schools

I live 23 miles from where I work, it ends up being about an hour each way on average.  I live on the south side of town, work on the north side, sometimes I can do the trip in 35 minutes, other days it's 75 minutes, it just depends.  I'm going to be honest, I enjoy driving, I listen to sports talk or music on the drive in and I kind of enjoy the time to prepare myself (mentally) for work.  Conversely, I enjoy mentally unwinding on the way home b/c usually I'm so pissed off about some moron that cut me off or almost ran into me that I've completely forgotten about whatever it was I was pissed off about that happened at work. . . win-win!

Max for me would be 1 hour.  If I drive into the office right now, it takes an average of 55 minutes and that's in traffic the entire way.  Public trans most times and the commute is the same though with walking and driving to the station.  Luckily I work from home 2-3 days a week now.

I worked at a place with a 30 minute commute for almost 20 years.  I changed job and now my commute is 10 minutes.  I actually kind of miss the 30 minute commute to decompress/get ready for the day.  I think the 30 minute commute is ideal so adding 20 minutes wouldn't be great but it is probably ok as long as it wasn't just stuck in traffic. 

As other's have said, the worst part is probably all of the other errands that get tied to normal work days.....

I can’t imagine driving more than 30 minutes one way to work 5 days a week. Then again, I’m spoiled since I’ve never had more than a 20-minute drive to work (10 minutes currently). And I love a long drive since it gives me a chance to crank up some tunes, but not every damn day. 

I'm 52 miles (within NJ)  but believe it or not its an easy 52 miles.

I do it in 55-60 min 

Going against traffic and get out of the house by 6 helps.

I dont mind driving at all. The only issue is I cant run into the office/shop to check in on something real quick. Its either I decide if I'm making a day of it or not. 

I’m a Regional Manger so I have 10 different work locations, all driving distance.  My commutes range from 30mins each way to 2 and a half hours each way.  On average I’m probably around an hour and a half each way.   Put 30k miles a year on my car.  So yeah I’m in it a lot.  Lol.  

I used to have a 45-55 minute commute (depending on traffic) and was fine with it.  Got a lot of books on tape and that made the drive fly by.  The only drawback was seeing my wife/kid a couple hours less a day but it sounds like that wouldn't really be the case with you as they're with your ex on your workdays.  I'd say go for it.

Out of college I use to drive a half hour to an hour for work everyday.  I did landscaping and it depended on whether I was driving to the job site or to the boss' place.  Now I work about a block away from home and can walk in just a few minutes.

I worked in residential/commercial construction during the housing crash of 2007. I lived in Bozeman, Montana and the longest daily commute I had was for 6 months to Montana City at 97 miles one way.

Those were some awful times.

Depends is it 50 minutes in traffic or a leisurely 50 minutes?

I don’t mind a long drive if there is little to no traffic, gives you time to decompress.  But long commute plus heavy traffic sucks
Exactly. 

I interviewed years ago for a job in Ontario, which was about an hour drive each way, but against traffic. I would have taken the job if offered. I couldn't handle 50-60 minutes in gridlock, probably 40-45 would be my limit. 

i could drive 100 miles of open road to work if that's what gave my life the most peace 'n plenty. i could not drive 10 miles of traffic without cancelling those benefits.

When I worked OR, and had to work 5 days a week, plus call, I lived various distances from work. 10 minutes; 45 long and scenic minutes; 55 rural, then bad city traffic. The worst was the city traffic.

I don't mind a country drive with the occasional slowpoke. I hate congested city traffic. 45 minutes wasn't bad on country roads.

What are your call requirements? How many days per week avg are you on-call. And what's your response time? That would weigh into the decision. The job I had with a 45 minute commute was heavy OC (1 weekday per week and 1 weekend day, every 2 weeks) with a 20 minute response time for emergency C-sections. Meant I had to rent a fleabag hotel room the nights I was OC. That suxxored.

When I worked OR, and had to work 5 days a week, plus call, I lived various distances from work. 10 minutes; 45 long and scenic minutes; 55 rural, then bad city traffic. The worst was the city traffic.

I don't mind a country drive with the occasional slowpoke. I hate congested city traffic. 45 minutes wasn't bad on country roads.

What are your call requirements? How many days per week avg are you on-call. And what's your response time? That would weigh into the decision. The job I had with a 45 minute commute was heavy OC (1 weekday per week and 1 weekend day, every 2 weeks) with a 20 minute response time for emergency C-sections. Meant I had to rent a fleabag hotel room the nights I was OC. That suxxored.
No call. Work 11 am- 11 pm, Wed-Fri. 

Drive? 30-40 minutes, max.  Couldn't see choosing a lifestyle where a commute is, on average, much more than a half hour.

If it's transit? That goes up to an hour, door do door (and POSSIBLY 1:15, with an hour of that on one train line). Much more relaxing. Can get work done. Can stay in the "city" assuming that's the commute, and grab dinner and drinks and not have to drive.

We moved last summer.  I used to live 15 minutes from work, now I'm almost an hour.  When looking for houses, my wife and I agreed that an hour would be max (she worked in same area, has since gotten another job just a bit closer).  Well, we found a house we both liked about an hour away.  Most of it is highway, with a couple small towns in between that has lights.  I don't mind it.  It's my alone time.  Living with two teenage girls and my brother in law with his 3 year old girl (not permanent), it helps keep my sanity. Listen to sports radio and I'm fine.  Good scenery too.  I actually enjoy the drive.

Actually, I change my answer. The FARthest Id live is whatever distance would ensure that the FURthest away from I would live is 30-40 min driving and 1:15 via transit

I had a 6 year stretch where my commute was 70 miles (about 90 minutes), each way. It was an opportunity to join a start-up and build/shape things from the ground up that came around about a year after we just had a new house built. I did it 5 days/week for the first 6 months, then 4, with 1 remote day for a couple years, then 3 with 2 remote days the last few years. 

At another point I had a 50 mile commute, each way, for 3.5 years where the actual drive time was closer to 2 hours in each directions because of traffic. For more than half of it I was able to do 2 days/week remote. My wife's job was in the opposite direction (and 40 minutes each way, itself) so I just sucked it up 3 days a week. 

But for the past year, I am LOVING my 10 mile, 15-minute commute! 

ETA: When we had our "dream" house built the builder had an identical development another 30 miles (40 minutes) south and the price would have been about $50,000 less. Debated for a while before landing on paying more for the "closer to civilization" location. Can't imagine I would have taken either of those above jobs if I had to add another 40 minutes each way onto those commutes. 

Off topic, this house on the island, does it have propane or Natural Gas? Whole-house generator? Well or city water?

I am jealous. I'd love to live on an island.

thats your normal weekly schedule?  

No brainer imo
Yeah. In addition to a Saturday overnight once every four weeks. Monday’s and Tuesday’s I’m not off the hook completely though as I drive my kids to school in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon, which is a little closer but still 40 minutes away. 

I currently drive about 25 minutes each way.  I think I could probably go 35-45 minutes each way.  I used to work at a company that was about that distance and it wasn't bad.  I like listening to sports talk radio.

As long as it's not bumper-to-bumper, 45 minutes to an hour would probably be tolerable.

Yeah. In addition to a Saturday overnight once every four weeks. Monday’s and Tuesday’s I’m not off the hook completely though as I drive my kids to school in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon, which is a little closer but still 40 minutes away. 
huh?  Why are your kids school 40 minutes away?   Or is that just until this year finishes

ETA: Oh missed your other post....

I'd still probably do it... But I do it now :P

Yes it is. Your 8 hour day becomes a 10 hour day. Really cuts down on morning or afternoon leisure
True and what I’m worried about. Although anywhere I’d be at least 10-15 minutes away, so essentially adding a little over an hour to my day. 
I am also the wrong person to ask this though. I rarely work more than 35 hours a week and my commute is 15 minutes. Leisure is my game

Users who are viewing this thread