What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Working From Home? (1 Viewer)

For those currently working from home

• I've recently started and like it

Votes: 35 17.5%
  • I've been doing it for a while and like it

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I've recently started and don't like it

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • I've been doing it for a while and don't like it

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • N/A

Votes: 69 34.5%

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
I dropped my son off at school, went for a jog, and have done about 1k pushups. I ate a healthy breakfast and lunch, and accomplished all of my work.

I could get used to social distancing and working from home. 

Positions below manager at my company can work from home.  I was offered a management job and turned it down because working from home is so awesome (and the pay jump didn't make up for that).  I worked from home 1 day a week for many years.  Then added a 2nd day about 8 years ago.  Then this year got them to add a 3rd day.  So I only go into the office 2 days a week.  Could easily work from home all 5 days if they were cool with it.   Been at company over 18 years.

I voted My company has not allowed us to work from home.

But per company leadership "some account employees can work from home but for most of our account employees (e.g. technicians, supervisors, project managers, etc.), it remains essential to be on site to perform your duties."

2 years and counting and i love it

Our company has 35 employees and we have a small co-working space in ATL, but roughly 25 employees all WFH spread out over 7 states. 

More companies need to get on board with this.  You'll hear "you need to be physically present" a lot but really you don't.  Not with skype/instant messaging/etc.  If your job involves you being in front of a computer and going to the occasional meeting, you can do that from home easily.  

But equally, employees who are allowed to work from home need to not take advantage of it and actually do work.  

Mandatory to work at home for the month of March and I’m enjoying it. Will try to turn this into at least 1-2 days/week working from home once the office reopens.

You need to add an option for #1:  Company is prepping for the possibility of everyone working from home but has not made that option/decision yet.
Right.  We have the ability to but our HR has not instructed us to yet.  Obviously if someone's feeling ill they are told to bug out.

I used to 2 days a week and loved it!#@

I can't do my current job fully from home but I could probably still do a 1 or 2 day a week.

Sadly we are not allowed

Many (probably most) people in most jobs do perfectly fine working from home. 

But I've seen several cases where others take advantage and then cry wolf about how they're "overwhelmed" when they do make it into the office. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the people who worked from home 3x a week (with basically no oversight, as my manager was a doofus) were always "too swamped" to back anyone up or take on some extra work at busy times.

In an ideal world, the manager would notice this and pull their work from home privileges, but that would almost certainly become an HR nightmare,so it's just allowed to go on. 

At my old gig, we had a person who pulled this move for like 2 years. And every time she did come into the office, the windows "boot up noise" from her computer would be so loud you could hear it from the parking lot. My theory, she turned it up so she could hear the computer beep from the other room (whenever she got an email or IM) and then just spent her WHF days on the living room couch watching soap operas.

But yeah, for most people, it's a great convenience and an asset to the company if they're responsible enough to handle it.

Many (probably most) people in most jobs do perfectly fine working from home. 

But I've seen several cases where others take advantage and then cry wolf about how they're "overwhelmed" when they do make it into the office. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the people who worked from home 3x a week (with basically no oversight, as my manager was a doofus) were always "too swamped" to back anyone up or take on some extra work at busy times.

In an ideal world, the manager would notice this and pull their work from home privileges, but that would almost certainly become an HR nightmare,so it's just allowed to go on. 

At my old gig, we had a person who pulled this move for like 2 years. And every time she did come into the office, the windows "boot up noise" from her computer would be so loud you could hear it from the parking lot. My theory, she turned it up so she could hear the computer beep from the other room (whenever she got an email or IM) and then just spent her WHF days on the living room couch watching soap operas.

But yeah, for most people, it's a great convenience and an asset to the company if they're responsible enough to handle it.
I feel like good workers work more better than bad workers wherever that is...

So crappy employees will still be crappy employees....   Its probably easier to monitor crappy employees in the office :shrug:

My company has not made a formal declaration regarding WFH. There are a lot of people that could and probably do at some frequency. I can work from home but couldn’t do it every day. There are too many aspects of my job that require me to be onsite but I could likely do it 1 day/week without too much difficulty. I also live close enough to work that I could come in if an emergency arose. 

My company has restricted all international and domestic travel for business purposes. 

technically we are allowed to work from home, and there are permanent remote employees in my department, but if you started employment working in the office... you are strongly discouraged when it comes to working from home.

we had a week straight of temps (with wind chill) hovering between -40 and -50. schools were canceled. i took one day to work from home because day care fell through. the next day i got a stern reminder that working remotely is really not to be abused   :mellow:

that said, i found working from home to be exhausting. wake up, shower/not shower, sit at a home office all day... maybe leave out for lunch... come home.  you never get a clean break from "work". you're at your office all day when you're home. 

i need the mental & physical separation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Only authorized 1 day per week, which I haven't taken advantage yet.

Probably will next school year, when our youngest is in kindergarten. 

I have been doing "ad hoc", once every few months. I definitely like it in limited dosage, just can't do it when the wife and a kid is home.

Use to work FullTime from home.. Was great in that I had no Rush hour to deal with, no coworker drama, and more time at home..

Where I work now, we can work from home whenever we need/want to.. I tend to do so once or twice a week.
But do like coming in to bounce ideas/thoughts off coworkers, rather then try to communicate over Teams.

Currently no "everybody work from home" ...yet..
But just yesterday they reported a Positive test for a child in our area who had been in a couple of different schools for sports over the last week... so.. might be told to "STAY HOME!" as a precaution...   :oldunsure:  

Smoo.  We were just told today one third of employees in my group will rotate working from home for 2 week periods.  Looking forward to not having to drive, and getting to work in my sweats.  Bummer is I requested to work from home a few years ago part time and was told no.  Thus I turned my office into a walk in closet, and now have no comfortable place to work (outside of sitting on my couch in front of the TV).

Been WFH a while and do at least 2 days a week now, sometimes 3. Most of my team does something similar.

I’m with a large global investment bank and we’ve all been moved to a “split operations” schedule. Half of us are allowed (but not required) to be in the office one week, while the other half is prohibited from being in the office. Next week it reverses and then repeats. 

Our company leaves it to manager discretion.  Some functions work from home more than others.  Marketing is WFH at least on Fridays, if not more.  I'm in Finance - where it is more frowned upon.  I WFH on Friday maybe 1/3 of the time.  I'd love to be able to WFH every Friday, and a few other days as needed.  I work hard at home.  Get more done, etc...but I do understand why they want us in.  There's information you absorb organically by being around people that you'd miss out on in a role like mine.  I could never WFH 100% of the time...it wouldn't work for me or the role I'm in.

that said, i found working from home to be exhausting. wake up, shower/not shower, sit at a home office all day... maybe leave out for lunch... come home.  you never get a clean break from "work". you're at your office all day when you're home. 

i need the mental & physical separation. 
I've worked remotely for almost 12 years now through three jobs, and this is the hardest part for me as well.  It's not the distractions but the lack of separation.  It's definitely better if you have a dedicated office (which I've had for the past 4-5 years), working at the kitchen table or the couch isn't ideal.  

When I didn't have an office in my home I actually rented a small space in the back of a realtor's office about 2 miles from my place to give me some place to go that was set up to work.  It was actually kind of the perfect scenario as if I didn't feel like going there I didn't have to, but when I did it had the benefits of being around a few people, walking across the street to grab lunch, and most importantly the closing of my laptop at the end of the day.

My current company has an office about 90 minutes (in traffic) from me and I go in maybe once a month, usually on a day we'll be dipping into the bar cart for happy hour.

Positions below manager at my company can work from home.  I was offered a management job and turned it down because working from home is so awesome (and the pay jump didn't make up for that).  I worked from home 1 day a week for many years.  Then added a 2nd day about 8 years ago.  Then this year got them to add a 3rd day.  So I only go into the office 2 days a week.  Could easily work from home all 5 days if they were cool with it.   Been at company over 18 years.
This is what I'm concerned about. I'm above Manager level but want to work from home. Can easily do it but if my company goes down that path, it would be the suck. 

I :heart: working from home. 

I've worked remotely for almost 12 years now through three jobs, and this is the hardest part for me as well.  It's not the distractions but the lack of separation.  It's definitely better if you have a dedicated office (which I've had for the past 4-5 years), working at the kitchen table or the couch isn't ideal.  

When I didn't have an office in my home I actually rented a small space in the back of a realtor's office about 2 miles from my place to give me some place to go that was set up to work.  It was actually kind of the perfect scenario as if I didn't feel like going there I didn't have to, but when I did it had the benefits of being around a few people, walking across the street to grab lunch, and most importantly the closing of my laptop at the end of the day.

My current company has an office about 90 minutes (in traffic) from me and I go in maybe once a month, usually on a day we'll be dipping into the bar cart for happy hour.
my house was a whirwind on the day i was home. with the kids not just playing, but wandering in and out, needing to eat.. the dog was antsy.. the cats were climbing all over everything. 

if i wasn't doing something my mind would wander to "i could throw a load in the dishwasher", or "man that door needs to be replaced". 

i'd not be able to turn that off, i don't think.

I only work from home occasionally, but i don't have a problem doing this.  I'm sure it depends on the jobs and after hour demands, but once the clock turns to closing time, I log off and move on just as if I was in the office and walked out the door.

More companies need to get on board with this.  You'll hear "you need to be physically present" a lot but really you don't.  Not with skype/instant messaging/etc.  If your job involves you being in front of a computer and going to the occasional meeting, you can do that from home easily.  

But equally, employees who are allowed to work from home need to not take advantage of it and actually do work.  
The beer places with patios yesterday were pretty full of Amazon and tech looking people in my hood. Amazon among other companies in Seattle all have work from home and social distancing policies this month.

Crazy coincidence. 

I’ve been working from home 1-1.5x a week on average for about a year.  With the Virus we are encouraged to work from home more.  I’m now working from home starting this week M-Th-Fri and really enjoy it.  If you have the set up and secluded area it’s great. 

Love being able to get stuff done on my lunch, mow lawn in summer etc, haircut, appointments, save gas and mileage, the commute etc. it’s wonderful.  I find I eat less being at home.  

we have three different messenger video applications on our laptops so can easily be connected with anyone.  

Company made the decision to shut down its offices in the Seattle and Bellevue areas and have everyone work form home (unless your job code requires you to be in the office -- and not many do).

I've never done it for a while before, and see a lot of pros and cons. I am definitely having trouble balancing taking breaks, stretching, getting up and around versus sitting in front of the screen all day. Need to set better boundaries for myself. 

That said, I can see the attraction -- nearly as productive using video conferencing as real live meetings, and was able to grab some equipment (docking station, extra monitor, keyboard, mouse, risers so my laptop screen can be aligned with the monitor screen, etc.) to make life easier.

That said, I kinda need to GO somewhere when I work. Have an office and a separate space to come to and leave. Maybe it's just decades of habit, but while I could absolutely make this work long term, would still prefer not to.

That said, I kinda need to GO somewhere when I work. Have an office and a separate space to come to and leave. Maybe it's just decades of habit, but while I could absolutely make this work long term, would still prefer not to.
I worked from home half the time about 20 years ago.  I never got much done.  I contemplated starting a routine where I'd shower, go out for a coffee and bagel and come back to my home office, but I ended up leaving that job.

I work on site with a state level client so it’s pretty likely they’ll start telling them to stay home and then us, the consultants, will follow their lead. 

I haven't had a desk at my work place in well over a year. My whole area is full time work at home. Wasn't a huge fan at first but learned to love it. Am able to get WAY more done at home. Eliminated the drive-bys. Honestly, it is not unusual for me to have 5 to 6 hours of meetings in a day.. Throw in the drive-by chats and I had no time to get anything done. I think my entire section gets way more accomplished being work at home. Not to mention we are spread across five or six states. We'd have missed out on some great talent if we said they had to move here to work.

This is what I'm concerned about. I'm above Manager level but want to work from home. Can easily do it but if my company goes down that path, it would be the suck. 

I :heart: working from home. 
In my case it didn't make sense.  The people who would have been reporting to me worked from home a couple days a week.  Didn't see any reason to not allow it.  They did sorta bend and said maybe I could do 1 day a week as meetings allowed.  I said okay, cool.  Then we started talking about vacation (we get a lot of time here) and I was like, FYI, I bank my vacation so I can take off every Friday in the summer.  New boss was like, ok, but you can't work from home in the summer then.  ???  um, working from home isn't being off.  Once I heard that I was like forget it.

Answered best I could...been working from home the better part of a decade or more.  I wouldn't change it for the world.

I a Mr. Mom, so I will answer this for my wife. She is a CPA here in the DC area with a ~1 hour commute. She started working from home a while ago, because I am unable to drive due to seizures, and this made it easier to deal with the kids and school and medical appointments and after school activities. Once she started doing this, we enclosed a rarely used living room into an office, so she could have a defined space with a door. 

She absolutely loves it. Her company is spread across the country, so everyone being in the same room is more of a non-issue. Her company set her up with a pair of screens to go with her laptop, and a phone that works over the internet that mimics the one in her office, it is much better dealing with staff/clients to have them just call one phone number, and the quality is great, so they don't even know (except when dog barks at mailman!). She finds she gets more done, since she can focus on working, rather than having people poking their heads in her door, chatting or even dealing with work.

Being a CPA, this time a year, she is working 60-70 hours a week and loves that she can work in her office or on the couch whenever she wants/needs to. During non-busy season (May-Dec) she is able to work 4 days a week (she will work on Friday if needed, but everyone thinks se is off) and can spread the hours she needs over the other 6 days (working mornings on Sat/Sun is not that big a deal).

I would be willing to bet that companies will take this event and move to a more work from home friendly world. They will realize that people will work if not crowded in an office, that meetings can be conducted online or over the phone. And then they will realize that they can save $$$ on real estate, by having shareable offices and conference rooms, rather than specific locations for people that are only in the office once or twice a week.

Telework 1 day a week.  Would love to work from home every day, or have that option.  Some days I do need to be in the office.

We can't possibly have the bandwidth and infrastructure in place for everyone to suddenly start working (and schooling) remotely. There are going to be massive crashes/slow downs. Whether its the internet itself, the hardware that it all runs on, or the applications that are designed to run on it. None of it was designed for it to suddenly handle this much traffic. 

I've always had the option to work from home but really only use it if my kid is home sick or for like a teacher planning day (my wife is a teacher and has to work those).  I don't enjoy it as much but that could be because I always have a kid whining about wanting to be fed or whatever you're supposed to do to keep kids alive.

My job is impossible to work from home in. That's part of being an electrician. However, I'm currently doing renovations at a retirement community here in FL, and one of the baseboard guys just got back from a cruise, they won't let him on the site for 2 weeks.

For about the last year our group has been a "only come in if you have a meeting you need to be physically present at". Essentially they told us it doesn't matter where you are working from as long as you are getting the work done. I go in on average about once a week, other than that just about all I do is done over email, Skype, etc. and with VOIP phones that I have set to dual ring on my cell phone, it really does not matter where I work from.

It's allowed my wife more flexibility in her job as now I am home most morning to get the kids off to school, pick them up, etc., and I'm not spending wasted hours sitting in traffic. I've made it a point to try and take a lunch and get to the gym or take a walk most days - this combo of working from home and better exercise has done wonders for me mental health and has definitely made me a more productive worker.

We can't possibly have the bandwidth and infrastructure in place for everyone to suddenly start working (and schooling) remotely. There are going to be massive crashes/slow downs. Whether its the internet itself, the hardware that it all runs on, or the applications that are designed to run on it. None of it was designed for it to suddenly handle this much traffic. 
This could be interesting, especially when you add in all of the students that will streaming Zoom/FaceTime/Webex classes.  

My kid is one of those, starting Monday her high school is closed for at least two weeks and it's eLearning only.  Yesterday I upgraded my Xfinity internet to their fastest speed and unlimited data, as with two of us on Zoom all day (and a step son who games all night) we would have blown through our previous plan.

I'm gonna pitch this on monday as a precautionary proactive measure at my company. 

Were in manufacturing Sonya, welders cant work from home but the office which has about 50 people...we can easily have half of them wfh.

I'll report back on Monday....as to whether or not I still have a job

looking like we might be teetering on the edge of a work from home policy for the next few weeks.

one department here has been told they're going to rotate 50/50 work from home, work from office.  half the department works from home next week, the other in the office, then they switch for the week after.

Users who are viewing this thread