Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty & Redraft : WR Michael Pittman Jr, Indianapolis Colts (Jeff George wore #11 and was traded for what became Marvin Harrison - they had no comment on this developing crisis)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ecstatic to get Pittman at 2.07 in my draft. Low chance at outright busting, imo, with a moderate/high upside.

Mentioned this in a previous thread on combine night: Tale of the tape: Mike Evans, 6'5"/231, 4.53 40, 37 vert, 7.08 3 cone, 4.26 20 yard shuttle Pittman Jr., 6'4"/223, 4.52 40, 36.5 ve

I've been looking at Pittman in this regard for some time now. I'm a big believer in the early declaration/early breakout rule even compared to Draft position it comes out on top more times than not.

Michael Pittman hauled in 3-of-4 targets for 26 yards in Indianapolis' Week 3 win over the Jets.

Pittman left for an extended period following an ankle injury in the second half. Fortunately his availability was unnecessary since Philip Rivers and Jacoby Brissett dropped back to throw just 25 times as Indianapolis' defense suffocated Sam Darnold for three picks, two defensive touchdowns, and a safety. Zach Pascal remains the team's starting slot receiver and should garner interest on waiver wires if Pittman misses any time. The rookie himself is merely a stash until his role is further unveiled in a competitive game script.

Sep 27, 2020, 7:46 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Colts WR Michael Pittman (calf) underwent surgery to repair compartment leg syndrome in his calf.

Rapoport adds that Pittman will "likely" be back in time for Indy's Week 8 game against the Lions. Pittman had been soaking up mop-up catches in blowouts the past two weeks, which was expected to eventually become a larger role with Parris Campbell (knee, IR) sidelined for the foreseeable future. That opportunity will now fall to Zach Pascal, who ran 67% of his routes from the slot in Week 3 against the Jets. Pascal is a viable addition off waiver wires in deeper leagues.

RELATED: 

Zach Pascal

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 28, 2020, 4:06 PM ET

2 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

What is compartment leg syndrome? (Yes I know I can google it)

Had a family member with this. It’s a pretty serious issue. My brother had this in his calf as well and they literally opened him up to cut the sheath holding his muscles together. My understanding is imagine your calf muscle is a balloon and it fills with too much inflammation. Only way to fix it is to cut the sheath keeping the balloon together 

edit: the doctor said some patients they leave them cut open until the inflammation settles. If it’s not corrected/operated on you can lose your leg 

Edited by I-ROK
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, I-ROK said:

Had a family member with this. It’s a pretty serious issue. My brother had this in his calf as well and they literally opened him up to cut the sheath holding his muscles together. My understanding is imagine your calf muscle is a balloon and it fills with too much inflammation. Only way to fix it is to cut the sheath keeping the balloon together 

edit: the doctor said some patients they leave them cut open until the inflammation settles. If it’s not corrected/operated on you can lose your leg 

God bless him.

Colts placed WR Michael Pittman (calf) on injured reserve.

Pittman had surgery last week and is expected to miss four games.  He's targeting a Week 8 return. The Colts activated TE Trey Burton from IR and promoted WR Marcus Johnson from the practice squad to take Pittman's spot.

Oct 3, 2020, 11:36 AM ET

• 4 weeks later...

Colts designated WR Michael Pittman (calf) to return from injured reserve.

It opens Pittman's 21-day practice window to return from I.R. following his compartment syndrome. Pittman has a meager nine catches for 73 scoreless yards in three games of action. He's well off the redraft radar.

Oct 28, 2020, 1:56 PM ET

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Faust said:

Colts designated WR Michael Pittman (calf) to return from injured reserve.

It opens Pittman's 21-day practice window to return from I.R. following his compartment syndrome. Pittman has a meager nine catches for 73 scoreless yards in three games of action. He's well off the redraft radar.

Oct 28, 2020, 1:56 PM ET

Glad to hear. Compartment syndrome can be bad news. Hope to see him on the field and contributing by the end of the year.

Edited by lardonastick
  • Like 1

Colts activated WR Michael Pittman (calf) from injured reserve.

Pittman is expected to play Sunday after returning to practice this week. He's missed the last four games recovering from surgery to repair compartment leg syndrome. Pittman's snaps may be limited against Detroit, but his presence should help in the redzone.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Oct 31, 2020, 11:18 AM ET

Colts WR Michael Pittman has been identified as a "close contact" of the Colts staff member to test positive for coronavirus, though he is not considered "high risk."

The same is true for DT Sheldon Day, DT Tyquan Lewis and Quenton Nelson. All four could return to practice as early as Friday. With Marcus Johnson (knee) popping up on Thursday's injury report with T.Y. Hilton still sidelined, Pittman should be much more involved in the Colts' Week 9 offense after drawing just one target in his Week 8 return. That is, of course, provided there are no corona complications. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Nov 5, 2020, 6:25 PM ET

Michael Pittman caught 7-of-8 targets for 101 yards in the Colts' Week 10 win over the Titans.

After playing 87% of the snaps last week and going 4-56 on seven targets in his best game of the first half of the season, Pittman bettered himself Thursday night. His targets, catches, and yards were all new season highs, as Pittman has established himself as an every-down wideout moving forward. Pittman's long gain of 40 yards was on a fourth-quarter catch-and-run. He also rushed one time for 21 yards. Pittman has seen 15 targets over the last two weeks and looks like someone who needs to be added in 12-team leagues for the stretch run. Pittman will be an upside WR3/4 next week against the Packers.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

I’ll preface by saying I’m invested in him in my dynasty. Great size and catches everything but he’s not a sudden or explosive athlete. Seems scheme dependent to get open, my biggest fear is that once he starts getting attention there will be an inordinate amount of duds mixed into his numbers.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JetMaxx said:

I’ll preface by saying I’m invested in him in my dynasty. Great size and catches everything but he’s not a sudden or explosive athlete. Seems scheme dependent to get open, my biggest fear is that once he starts getting attention there will be an inordinate amount of duds mixed into his numbers.

Maybe right but he sure looked like it last night.

4 hours ago, JetMaxx said:

To be fair, you can probably say that about any WR not named Adams, Hopkins or Thomas (Metcalf maybe getting there).

8 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My first impression was that he looks like a little bigger Adam Thielen. 

Not a bad comp. Kind of cumbersome when running. Hopefully he becomes a technician with his route running like Theilen. 

Pittman had a 6.96 3-cone & 4.14 shuttle. Good jumps & 40 (4.52), as well. He's extremely athletic for his size. 

Pittman may not look like he's moving fast at 6-4, but I noticed he can beat pursuit angles & has good running instincts.

I called him one of the safer players in the draft as far as having a nice, long career, but he's got a lot of upside, too.

Edited by Football Jones
12 hours ago, Football Jones said:

Pittman had a 6.96 3-cone & 4.14 shuttle. Good jumps & 40 (4.52), as well. He's extremely athletic for his size. 

Pittman may not look like he's moving fast at 6-4, but I noticed he can beat pursuit angles & has good running instincts.

I called him one of the safer players in the draft as far as having a nice, long career, but he's got a lot of upside, too.

This kind of sums up what I thought he looked like. He didn't look like he had much pop making his breaks, his moves were telegraphed a bit (but I think it's because he's so lanky), yet he also seemed to have an instinct to find that extra foot of space one way or the other at the end of the route. In the end I think it's because his arms are so damn long and he has a good knack for keeping his hands out in front of him. I wish I'd tried harder to get him in dynasty now. Like the way he looks comfortable in his own skin and is doing those things that veteran receivers seem to learn to create space.

• Like 1

He regularly beat the Titans 8th CB, not even on the roster on cut down day. Kudos to him for getting it done as he doesn't choose a matchup, but beyond that you guys are laying it on too thick. 

He's gotta take Pascal's spot (tell me he starts over Pascal and I'll tell ya Pascal is the one in on key third downs) and make the tough catches to move the chains.

He looks like a typical rookie to me and I'm not impressed yet. He is nothing like Jeudy or Lamb. They already work hard and have insane bursts out of breaks. Pittman looks good, fine, whatever but I've watched a bunch of Colts on gamepass and he is so not there yet. He is coverable an has to learn to work like Lamb or DeAndre Hopkins. He's gonna become a pro and nitpick his own routes and make them smoother. He pulls up wrong on sideline routes and doesn't box out well. He's gotta slow up, get the arms out, then go for the ball. Give a basketball coach a weekend with him and he'd be fixed up. He's gotta pick different sneaks/cleats because he wipes out too much and idk why but someone with the Colts does. The kid has typical rookie probs and he's fine probably with a bright future. Colts fans should be happy. Elite? Like the best in this class? No way, not close

Frank Reich On Going Up-Tempo, Michael Pittman Jr.'s Rise, Parris Campbell Update

Excerpt:

» Reich was ecstatic to see Michael Pittman Jr. show off his athleticism on Thursday: While some might have labeled Pittman Jr. as more of a "possession"-type receiver coming out of USC this year — and there's nothing wrong with being a possession receiver — the Colts knew Pittman Jr. had the athletic ability to turn in some big performances.

Reich said he had a feeling Thursday night's game against the Titans would be an opportunity for Pittman Jr. to show off those talents, and he ended up being right: the 2020 second-round (34th-overall) pick had his best game to date, with seven receptions for 101 yards (14.4 avg.), and also adding a 21-yard run on a reverse play late in the third quarter.

"There was a conscious effort to get the ball to him in the way that we did," Reich said of Pittman Jr. "We saw this in his college days. I remember Chris (Ballard) and I talking a lot about this, but this guy is fearless, now. He's fearless in every way, but when the ball is in his hands, he wants to hurt somebody. He runs very aggressively. That one shallow route he caught, he turned the corner on 24 and showed speed."

Among Pittman Jr.'s big plays on Thursday night, other than the reverse running play, were receptions of 40 and 30 yards, respectively. The Colts are hoping to see this trend continue for the rest of the season.

"That wasn't possession-type stuff, that was big-play receiver stuff," Reich said. "And we need to see more of that."

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bri said:

He regularly beat the Titans 8th CB, not even on the roster on cut down day. Kudos to him for getting it done as he doesn't choose a matchup, but beyond that you guys are laying it on too thick. 

He's gotta take Pascal's spot (tell me he starts over Pascal and I'll tell ya Pascal is the one in on key third downs) and make the tough catches to move the chains.

He looks like a typical rookie to me and I'm not impressed yet. He is nothing like Jeudy or Lamb. They already work hard and have insane bursts out of breaks. Pittman looks good, fine, whatever but I've watched a bunch of Colts on gamepass and he is so not there yet. He is coverable an has to learn to work like Lamb or DeAndre Hopkins. He's gonna become a pro and nitpick his own routes and make them smoother. He pulls up wrong on sideline routes and doesn't box out well. He's gotta slow up, get the arms out, then go for the ball. Give a basketball coach a weekend with him and he'd be fixed up. He's gotta pick different sneaks/cleats because he wipes out too much and idk why but someone with the Colts does. The kid has typical rookie probs and he's fine probably with a bright future. Colts fans should be happy. Elite? Like the best in this class? No way, not close

What an oddly negative post.  Who said anything of the sort?  

And yeah, if he can’t ultimately beat out Pascal then there are long term concerns.  But halfway through an injury riddled rookie season with no preseason?  He’s just fine.  Also, one could likewise make the same argument as to why Jeudy was getting outsnapped/outproduced by Tim Patrick before Patrick was injured.  

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

This wide receiver class is endlessly insane.

Yep, the next rookie WR that was ranked beyond the main tier of WR's and has been injured but looking to break out is Bryan Edwards. Raiders have more WR options compared to the Colts but I can see Edwards starting to rise like Pittman as the year goes on.

Some knucklehead dropped Edwards in our dynasty, swooped him up right away.

Jacob Gibbs

⁦‪@jagibbs_23⁩

Week 10 Player Highlight: Michael Pittman

Past two weeks:
(led the Colts WRs in all)
- 84% snap share
- 20% target share
- 27% red zone target share
- 35% air yard share

Indy desperately need a playmaker, and they drafted him to be one. Beautiful upcoming schedule. pic.twitter.com/AeMJsRkoes

I think there's some real redraft value here down the stretch. 

Just one correction here: The Colts play a good amount of 11 personnel so technically he's a starter. And when you're leading the team in snaps with a 20%+ target share starting takes on less importance.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1
On 11/14/2020 at 11:03 AM, dmac37 said:

Yep, the next rookie WR that was ranked beyond the main tier of WR's and has been injured but looking to break out is Bryan Edwards. Raiders have more WR options compared to the Colts but I can see Edwards starting to rise like Pittman as the year goes on.

Some knucklehead dropped Edwards in our dynasty, swooped him up right away.

This Raider fan has been waiting all season for Edwards to break out.  I don’t see it happening this season.  The lack of preseason and injuries has really put him behind.   He may have value next season.  

Michael Pittman Jr. Worthy Of Starting Consideration

Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. has put together solid performances in back-to-back weeks and will look to build on that this week against the Packers. Pittman has started in each of the last two games and has also played over 80 percent of the team's offensive snaps in each. He has shown that he is sure-handed, not dropping a pass on 28 targets so far this season. The Packers Defense ranks sixth against opposing receivers, but Pittman should see some favorable matchups being No. 3 on the Colts depth chart. He was plagued by injury early in the season, but his stock is definitely rising after going for over 100 yards last week against the Titans. He should almost certainly have solid flex value this week.--Connor Wege

• barackdhouse changed the title to Dynasty & Redraft : WR Michael Pittman Jr, Indianapolis Colts (Jeff George wore #11 and was traded for what became Marvin Harrison - they had no comment on this developing crisis)