What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How will CV affect the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Won't miss the game.  Just move it to another day or week.   Practice squads have been increased from 10 to 16.

MLB has been moving 900+ people one to two times a week.  I'm sure the NFL is pounding the players to not do anything stupid like those early MLB players did.

All these fear posts are getting quite tiresome.   The NFL did a great job during training camp. There are only 19 players on NFL Covid IR list at this moment.
Yeah, and MLB has postoponed 41 games so far. How many bye weeks do you think the NFL has built into its schedule? Even if it was only one game there is a very good chance the two teams that were supposed to play in week 4 don't have the same bye week anyway.

How many days do you think football players need to recover from one game to another? Should they play double-headers to make up for the missed games like they do in baseball?

Yeah, and MLB has postoponed 41 games so far. How many bye weeks do you think the NFL has built into its schedule? Even if it was only one game there is a very good chance the two teams that were supposed to play in week 4 don't have the same bye week anyway.

How many days do you think football players need to recover from one game to another? Should they play double-headers to make up for the missed games like they do in baseball?
MLB will make up every game if needed. So will the NFL.   MLB found a way.  NFL will find a way if needed.   It's really not that complicated.   I'm sure they have a plan for it all and I don't need to know what it is.  The NFL has dealt with missed games and weeks before.

At this point, they are doing way better than anyone expected.   Just 19 guys on Covid IR. Only a few new cases recently.    Number will keep going down.  

At this point, they are doing way better than anyone expected.  

They haven't started yet.

When one player has Covid on game day in baseball, it probably wont get spread around.  When an NFL player has it on game day?  Probable spread.  

Travel and NFL games are gonna be a problem.

They haven't started yet.

When one player has Covid on game day in baseball, it probably wont get spread around.  When an NFL player has it on game day?  Probable spread.  

Travel and NFL games are gonna be a problem.
MLB players travel 1-2 times every week.  They travel much more than 8 times per year.

With 1/3 as many people.

You forgot to comment on the NFL game part
like the other posts, I don't comment on the ridiculous and made up fears you guys have.

1/3?   MLB has 30 players, plus staff.  It's around 50.   You're saying NFL travels 150 people?

like the other posts, I don't comment on the ridiculous and made up fears you guys have.

1/3?   MLB has 30 players, plus staff.  It's around 50.   You're saying NFL travels 150 people?
MLB travels 20 staff?  They also dont have 30 on the active roster.

They also dont manhandle each other in groups 150 times per game.  

MLB travels 20 staff?  They also dont have 30 on the active roster.

They also dont manhandle each other in groups 150 times per game.  
MLB had 30 to start the season. Was reduced to 28 on the 15th day.   

Add: Three players from the Club Player Pool who aren’t on the active roster can travel on road trips with the MLB team as the taxi squad.

Travel rules

Teams have to arrange safe and clean travel for all Tier 1 and 2 individuals to and from all cities at home and on the road. They cannot travel in any manner outside those guidelines.

Clubs on the road have to try to travel in a controlled environment at all times. Only Tier 1 and 2 individuals can travel with the team on the road.

Teams can have up to 38 Tier 2 individuals at any single time

Tier 1: Players and other on-field personnel

Players in the club player pool -- 60 maximum

Field manager -- one maximum

Coaches, including MLB uniformed coaches -- 12 maximum

Bullpen catchers -- two maximum

Team physicians -- six maximum

Head and assistant athletic trainers -- two total maximum

Physical therapists -- two maximum

Strength and condition coaches -- two maximum

Umpires are also Tier 1 individuals, but they don’t count against a team’s limited number.

If a team has a player who doesn’t speak English or Spanish, one translator can be designated in Tier 1.

Tier 2 up to 38.  Tier 1 - I'm counting a min of 15 from that list just from a team. No players, umpires on that.

so 26-28 players, 3 taxi players, up to 38 Tier 2, around 15 Tier 1.      That's around  85 per game.  I was wrong on just 50.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/2020/06/24/here-are-all-the-rule-changes-roster-limits-safety-measures-more-in-mlbs-101-page-manual/

English Premier League finished their season with no issues.  Next Saturday, they start the NEXT season.  Those players are in constant contact with each other with no padding.

NFL has practiced in pads for the last two weeks.  Where are all the cases?

2 days from kickoff :towelwave:  
Cannot wait. If you'd told me 8 weeks ago, we'd be sitting right where we are today, I'd say this is the absolute best case scenario for where we'd be.

The challenge now will be to continue to maintain the vigilance and discipline the players and league have shown through August. 

And it'll be a challenge. But so was August and they crushed that. 

#hopeful.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help but ask. Do you think the fact that the NBA has missed a grand total of 0 games for Covid related reasons while playing in a bubble, and MLB has been forced to reschedule 41 games due to Covid concerns while traveling around the country not in a bubble is just a coincidence?

If the NFL is forced to cancel or reschedule 41 games it just seems to me like the schedule will be untenable unless the league is willing to throw any regard for player/health safety out the window and play 3 or 4 games in a 14 day span. Which I'll admit is certainly possible. Keep in mind these are the same group of owners that took a month of negotiations before they were willing to forego a handful of meaningless exhibition games. 
Baseball and Football do not travel the same way. Football is much more regimented and teams will travel in the day before, stay in a hotel together, and leave immediately after the game. There are not 4 day road trips in football where guys can go out at night and get in  trouble.

Only one NFL player produced a confirmed positive coronavirus test during the league's most recent testing period, another encouraging report as the league prepares this week to open its 2020 regular season.

According to data released Tuesday, the league tested 2,641 players and 5,708 other personnel between Aug. 30 and Sept. 5. In addition to the one player, seven other staff members also produced a positive result. Since the true start of training camp Aug. 12, a total of 24 people have produced confirmed positive tests.

Getzlaf15 said:
This is from a few years ago but the number has been trending up......

"Teams travel in parties of well over 100

What has changed the most over the years when it comes to team travel?

"The size of everything," Eller says. "There's just more players, more coaches, more staff. There are a lot more people who travel."

About 15 years ago, the Ravens would send 115-120 players, coaches and team employees on the road. But now, they average about 185 passengers per road trip. A broad breakdown, in approximate numbers:

65 players

30 coaches

35 members of the front office (player personnel, PR, digital media, operations)

15 equipment staff

12 sponsors

8 security agents

6 training staff

5 members of the radio crew

4 doctors"

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666013-planes-trains-and-automobiles-truths-about-traveling-in-the-nfl#:~:text=Teams travel in parties of well over 100&text="There's just more players%2C more,185 passengers per road trip.

What makes no sense to me, or maybe better stated there is a big disconnect, is the number of over the top contract extensions recently coupled with the expected salary cap drop off next year from $198 million to $175 million.

We are now starting to see DB, WR, OT, and DE getting into QB territory for pay and new QB contracts in the stratosphere. It should be very interesting next season when teams struggle to get under the cap and then figure out they have a handful of guys accounting for 3/4 of the salary cap.

What makes no sense to me, or maybe better stated there is a big disconnect, is the number of over the top contract extensions recently coupled with the expected salary cap drop off next year from $198 million to $175 million.
I'm just guessing but I would say that the owners are worried that because they will have so much less cap space in 2021 they won't be able to use the threat of the franchise tag as effectively in negotiations next season. If you sign a guy to a big deal now in 2020 you can structure it in such a way to make the smallest cap hit in 2021 and a much bigger cap hit in 2022/2023/etc. Besides, once a guy is under contract for multi-years it seems like most players don't mind shifting the money around to open up team cap space just as long as they don't lose any money in the deal.

If I were a young player in the league I'd be looking to make sure I was a FA in 2024. Most of the network deals end after the 2022 season(the ESPN deal expires after 2021) so the league revenues should make a HUGE jump in 2023.

I'm just guessing but I would say that the owners are worried that because they will have so much less cap space in 2021 they won't be able to use the threat of the franchise tag as effectively in negotiations next season. If you sign a guy to a big deal now in 2020 you can structure it in such a way to make the smallest cap hit in 2021 and a much bigger cap hit in 2022/2023/etc. Besides, once a guy is under contract for multi-years it seems like most players don't mind shifting the money around to open up team cap space just as long as they don't lose any money in the deal.

If I were a young player in the league I'd be looking to make sure I was a FA in 2024. Most of the network deals end after the 2022 season(the ESPN deal expires after 2021) so the league revenues should make a HUGE jump in 2023.
Good points all around.  

Just highlighted the one part because it assumes continued frenzied interest.  This year has been a wild one.  I think that next network deal will depend a bit on how this season gets played (if it makes it all the way and how much, if any, of the political stuff plays a part.  There was a NFL-Issued poll this week that said something like 87% of those polled said they are sick of the knee during the anthem, the undertones, etc.  A lot can change in 4 years but just something to be mindful of. 

I don’t remember the details, and the league likely can’t adequately calculate all the lost revenue yet. But it was estimated teams were projected to lose $70-100M. The league and the players union agreed that the most the salary cap would decrease next year was $23M and the remainder would be deducted from future seasons. The point being, there will be salary cap limitations for multiple years beyond next season. Maybe some of that will come out of the next TV deal. But there will still be salary cap reconfigurations for several more years. 

I don’t remember the details, and the league likely can’t adequately calculate all the lost revenue yet. But it was estimated teams were projected to lose $70-100M. The league and the players union agreed that the most the salary cap would decrease next year was $23M and the remainder would be deducted from future seasons. The point being, there will be salary cap limitations for multiple years beyond next season. Maybe some of that will come out of the next TV deal. But there will still be salary cap reconfigurations for several more years. 
Yeah, I agree with all that. I'm just saying the owners are used to dealing from a position of ultimate strength with franchise tags and the like and they fear losing star players.

I also think the term "lose" $70-100M might be hard to pin down. The NFL isn't very forthcoming when it comes to the actual profits of the teams but you can get a glimpse of the smallest market team(the Packers).....

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/2020/07/21/green-bay-packers-report-record-half-billion-dollars-revenue/5383385002/

.... I find it pretty tough to believe NFL teams on average will have much of a hardship even before the new TV deals. If that's the financial situation of Green Bay, WI I'd love to actually get a glimpse of the revenues of the New York Giants for instance. But we never will. 

BoltBacker said:
I also think the term "lose" $70-100M might be hard to pin down. The NFL isn't very forthcoming when it comes to the actual profits of the teams but you can get a glimpse of the smallest market team(the Packers).....

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/2020/07/21/green-bay-packers-report-record-half-billion-dollars-revenue/5383385002/
The Packers may be in a small market but they have one of the largest fanbases in the NFL, and typically are at the top in licensed sales outside Dallas...I'd bet they are top 10 in revenue.

There was a NFL-Issued poll this week that said something like 87% of those polled said they are sick of the knee during the anthem, the undertones, etc.
I was sick of it already last night. And to reiterate, it's not the players I have a problem with, it's the announcers commenting on it and lecturing us about our politics/experiences.

I was sick of it already last night. And to reiterate, it's not the players I have a problem with, its the announcers commenting on it and lecturing us about our politics/experiences.
Agreed.  Trying to watch a football game here.  The whole point of watching sports is to sort of detach from life/responsibilities for a little bit and enjoy a few hours of your time.   At least it is for most anyone I talk to.  

Frankly, I have no idea why they have to do the national anthem before games anyway.  Why not before movies?  Concerts?  Weddings?  Birthday parties?  Retirement parties? Purchase of a new car??

I was sick of it already last night. And to reiterate, it's not the players I have a problem with, its the announcers commenting on it and lecturing us about our politics/experiences.
i agree.  i’ve stopped watching only because i’m a jet fan, but can i have 3 hours without being lectured on the evils of this country?  i actually like the teams staying inside for the anthem.  this was my suggestion years ago.  play the stupid anthem 1 hour before game time and let’s move on.  

Sept 13-18

14.074 tests on 2,438 players.  Zero positive cases again.
So far so good. I hope that I was wrong. 

By week#4 of the NFL season I assume most NFL teams will have made two road trips. 

In a non-closed environment it's hard for me to believe that 14,074/14,074 have been negative no matter how safe people are trying to be. But I certainly hope it continues no matter how it's happening.

A little surprised this thread wasn't bumped for the Vikings and Titans news (below), though @beer 30 did bring it up in the general COVID thread:

Titans record eight new positive COVID-19 tests, forced to shut down club activities for the week, per report (CBS Sports, 9/29/2020)
The Titans and Vikings have been forced to shut down in-person activities for the foreseeable future

The NFL may be up against its most serious COVID-19-related challenge yet, as a potential outbreak has caused two teams to suspend in-person club activities for the week. According to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network, the Tennessee Titans had three new player positives and five new personnel positives for COVID-19. Since they played at the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, both teams will suspend all in-person club activities starting Tuesday. This puts the Titans' Week 4 matchup against the Pittsburgh Steelers in doubt as well as the Vikings' Sunday meeting with the Houston Texans. 

Following this report, the Titans released a statement confirming that they had received multiple positive tests.

A bunch of early 20 somethings doing the right thing?  Yeah, what could go wrong?

Week 4.  I am predicting "something" drastic by week 4.   Not sure what.  Maybe cancelled games, maybe a team forfeiting 3 weeks.  Maybe season cancelled.  Who knows.

The game of football, the mentality of the players who play football, and the larger numbers will make this 100x more difficult to pull off than MLB or the NBA
I hope I am wrong

Chances are the NFL is set to drastically overreact to any Covid situations that come up.  Hopefully that keeps anything drastic from actually happening.  

Chances are the NFL is set to drastically overreact to any Covid situations that come up.  Hopefully that keeps anything drastic from actually happening.  
So far the league has said the TEN / PIT game is still on, as is the MIN / HOU game (the Vikings also can't practice this week).

Sept 13-18

14.074 tests on 2,438 players.  Zero positive cases again.

The mysterious Week 3 virus up thread will be here soon though.  It was a run.
There was a discussion in the sharkpool about false positives and I was surprised the rate of false positives "should be close to zero". But in this context I'm not sure how reassured I am according to this Harvard Medical School website....

"False negatives — that is, a test that says you don’t have the virus when you actually do have the virus — may occur. The reported rate of false negatives is as low as 2% and as high as 37%. The false positive rate — that is, how often the test says you have the virus when you actually do not — should be close to zero."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

Given that Monday is typically a recovery day for NFL players, and TEN won't be able to even have a walk through until the day before the PIT game it will be interesting to see if they are at a competitive disadvantage this week. Seems to me simply moving this game to Monday night and letting TEN have a day of practice this week would be more fair than simply pushing forward as planned.

Good call on the "mysterious Week 3 virus". You pretty much nailed it.

There was a discussion in the sharkpool about false positives and I was surprised the rate of false positives "should be close to zero". But in this context I'm not sure how reassured I am according to this Harvard Medical School website....

"False negatives — that is, a test that says you don’t have the virus when you actually do have the virus — may occur. The reported rate of false negatives is as low as 2% and as high as 37%. The false positive rate — that is, how often the test says you have the virus when you actually do not — should be close to zero."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

Given that Monday is typically a recovery day for NFL players, and TEN won't be able to even have a walk through until the day before the PIT game it will be interesting to see if they are at a competitive disadvantage this week. Seems to me simply moving this game to Monday night and letting TEN have a day of practice this week would be more fair than simply pushing forward as planned.

Good call on the "mysterious Week 3 virus". You pretty much nailed it.
Wasn't my call on the Week 3 thing.    I could see them moving the game back to even Tuesday if limited to the initial three players.

The expanded practice squads this year probably offer a clue about the NFL's intention...try to play through it. They may have to adjust if a team has a ton of positive cases, but if the Titans only have 3 and that sticks, I'm expecting the game to be played at its originally scheduled time. Hope I'm wrong as that'll obviously suck for my Titans.

The expanded practice squads this year probably offer a clue about the NFL's intention...try to play through it. They may have to adjust if a team has a ton of positive cases, but if the Titans only have 3 and that sticks, I'm expecting the game to be played at its originally scheduled time. Hope I'm wrong as that'll obviously suck for my Titans.
I expect the league will have to evaluate each situation on a case by case basis. For example, if a team has 6 positive cases and they are all offensive lineman, that is different than one guy out from six different position groups. I can’t see the league forcing a team to play with one starting O lineman, 2 guys without any experience from the practice squad, and signing 2 street free agents and having guys play out of position. Or forcing a team to play if they don’t have a QB. Guess we will have to see what situations pop up in the upcoming weeks. 

I expect the league will have to evaluate each situation on a case by case basis. For example, if a team has 6 positive cases and they are all offensive lineman, that is different than one guy out from six different position groups. I can’t see the league forcing a team to play with one starting O lineman, 2 guys without any experience from the practice squad, and signing 2 street free agents and having guys play out of position. Or forcing a team to play if they don’t have a QB. Guess we will have to see what situations pop up in the upcoming weeks. 
jets are doing this already 

College Football has position roster requirements for both lines and QBs.

Here is where the problem lies.  Even if you have Covid and are contagious, you may still test negative for several days.  

At some point there will be a huge outbreak and a couple teams will be cancelled for 3-4 weeks.  I dont know what the NFL plan could be if that happens.  Any team missing 4 games cant make the playoffs unless they win basically all their games 

Here is where the problem lies.  Even if you have Covid and are contagious, you may still test negative for several days.  

At some point there will be a huge outbreak and a couple teams will be cancelled for 3-4 weeks.  I dont know what the NFL plan could be if that happens.  Any team missing 4 games cant make the playoffs unless they win basically all their games 
I give you credit for thinking something bigger would happen around Week 4.  But don't you get tired of being Chicken Little?  You're taking a HUGE leap from 4 players on a team to multiple teams missing a month of games.  

The league determines team outcomes based on winning percentage, not number of wins. So a team missing 4 games (which at this point seems unlikely) would not have to win all their games to make the playoffs. 9-3 would be a better winning percentage than 11-5 (and thus would rank higher in determining playoff seeding).

The league determines team outcomes based on winning percentage, not number of wins. So a team missing 4 games (which at this point seems unlikely) would not have to win all their games to make the playoffs. 9-3 would be a better winning percentage than 11-5 (and thus would rank higher in determining playoff seeding).
If a team wins their 1st game and then ties the next 15 games, do they make the playoffs?  Do they get a bye?

Serious question.

If a team wins their 1st game and then ties the next 15 games, do they make the playoffs?  Do they get a bye?

Serious question.
The team would get credit for 1 win plus 7.5 wins for the ties. Each tie counts as half a win. It would be the equivalent of going 8.5-7.5  (so a winning percentage of .531). That certainly would not be good enough to get a bye (given that only one team gets a bye these days). Who knows if that would be good enough to make the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread