What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 IDP Offseason Thread (1 week to gametime!) (1 Viewer)

Good point on cap room in Philly- never think about that. Loved Taylors tape at Colorado. 

No concerns about Vigil or Tranquil eating into Murray’s  production?

Thoughts on Barton and Brooks in Sea- Wagner takes a licking but keeps on ticking(under contract til ‘23) and Wright is 31 and in contract year(I believe)

Yeah, it's the Chargers, so there's always concern.

It seems like Barton and Burr-Kirven had a year to prove they were the future in Seattle, and the result was taking Brooks in the first. I'm relying on others who are skeptical about whether he can play passing downs and putting him relatively low among this year's rookies.

Tick said:
Opinions seem to be all over the place.  Murray is in the best situation and is a first rounder.  I'd rank him first.  Wilson has a good situation, since Pratt hasn't really proven himself and everyone else is a worse rookie.  Taylor has all the skills, particularly cover skills, but has no short-term opportunity.  He's all but guaranteed to be their main LB next season, though - Philly is way over the cap before Covid, and the cap might be 40M less now.  They'll need as many on rookie contracts as possible.
T.J. Edwards apparently impressed, though, and is a UDFA. I think he's cost-controlled for sure. There's another rookie from Philly that is apparently impressing in coverage. He went in the fifth or sixth round this year. Shaun Bradley. So they've got options on low-cost contracts and the coachspeak on Davion Taylor seems to be that he's not ready and needs to grow into the offense. 

Between Davion Taylor's background and the covid off-season I think this was always going to be treated as a redshirt year. 

All offseason there's been buzz about Edwards. Unless something crazy happens, it looks like he's going to start. The question is, what value does that have? If Gerry is the only full time LB, then it won't matter. I'm interested to see what they do - this is where missing preseason has an impact on fantasy. We just don't know.

I love Taylor too - agree that he's a 2021 proposition. 

Darnit, I can't find the source right now, but I read an article just before a site went pay this offseason, and it was looking at some teams' contract situations to see where there were some possible stashes for next season.  It looked like there were more to come behind the paywall for the rest of the teams, but I can't remember where I ran into the article.  I try to keep a list of guys to pick up late in the season if they're on waiver wires.  I took these notes:

• Justin Strnad DEN LB.  AJ Johnson and Todd Davis expiring contracts.
  • Ashtyn Davis NYJ S
  • Brandon Jones MIA S
  • Terrell Burgess LAR S (JJohnson final year)
  • Uchenna Nwosu KCC DE
Looks like it was Fantasy Points.  I'm not a subscriber, but Adam Caplan did a series of articles.

https://www.fantasypoints.com/nfl/articles/season/2020/contract-points-nfc-north

Strnad out for the year, so he might be easier to pick up on your last waiver run of the season.

Willie Gay Jr. is running as the SAM in offseason drills, meaning his value in IDP is not cemented for his rookie season. He's playing in coverage, too, because of his abilities, so I don't know what that means overall for him if he's playing on the strong side but also in coverage. 

Strnad out for the year, so he might be easier to pick up on your last waiver run of the season.
:(

Looks like he'll go back to the wire on my squad. Others might have more patience, but my linebacker room is full and I'll need to get to 51 right after camp decisions are made. 

Willie Gay Jr. is running as the SAM in offseason drills, meaning his value in IDP is not cemented for his rookie season. He's playing in coverage, too, because of his abilities, so I don't know what that means overall for him if he's playing on the strong side but also in coverage. 
They're breaking him into the system there. He'll play over the tight end and have more straightforward assignments to get started with. Several teams that use three stack LBs (rather than spin the SAM down to the edge) do this. Think Nate Gerry in 2018 and Davion Taylor this year in Philly. Does that mean Gay is a year away? Maybe, but Anthony Hitchens and Damien WIlson... 😬. My guess (for whatever it's worth) is that Gay and Wilson will flip at some point in the season. I think KC sees Gay as an impact player that can help them push to repeat.

I don't have any inside info here, but beat writers over at The Athletic have made comments that:

• Kamal Martin looks like the 2nd LB in GB to own (Mac mentioned in another thread)
  • Marcus Maye looks to be the NYJ S taking Jamal Adams responsibilities
  • Drue Tranquill looks like a 3-down WILL in LAC with Murray working solely at MIKE with Perryman.  
Not sure how much I put on any of those, but have picked up some cheap in a few places

I don't have any inside info here, but beat writers over at The Athletic have made comments that:

• Kamal Martin looks like the 2nd LB in GB to own (Mac mentioned in another thread)
  • Marcus Maye looks to be the NYJ S taking Jamal Adams responsibilities
  • Drue Tranquill looks like a 3-down WILL in LAC with Murray working solely at MIKE with Perryman.  
Not sure how much I put on any of those, but have picked up some cheap in a few places
Reading the same on Kamal Martin anywhere I look. Tranquill as 3DLB would be awesome news. 

Who takes over for Ngakoue? Does Chaisson get handed the the job or does the lack of a normal offseason/preseason hurt him? Looks like the other candidate is Smoot.

Unless something happens to Hunter, this trade is a huge blow to one of the hot offseason names, Ifeadi Odenigbo.

Chaisson Listed as a LB on MFL but hopefully gets changed on the next update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who takes over for Ngakoue? Does Chaisson get handed the the job or does the lack of a normal offseason/preseason hurt him? Looks like the other candidate is Smoot.

Unless something happens to Hunter, this trade is a huge blow to one of the hot offseason names, Ifeadi Odenigbo.

Chaisson Listed as a LB on MFL but hopefully gets changed on the next update.
Everything I've read is that Josh Allen plays LEO and Chaisson plays SAM, spinning down to the edge in subpackages like Bruce Irvin in Seattle. Gunter was going to play big end. Now Dawuane Smoot has the inside track. If Smoot falls on his face in camp, they'll go Gotsis, but what I read is positive, so I'm not worried about Gotsis. I reckon Smoot will play enough snaps in run defense to be worth something in deep, tackle-heavy leagues. I wouldn't count on a position designation change for Chaisson. I think the Jags knew Ngakoue wasn't going to report from the moment camp opened.

In other news DErwin James hurt again. Who takes his snaps?

They look pretty shallow here. Possible FA signing?
I wouldn't bet on it, not this close to the season. SS Rayshawn Jenkins and FS Nasir Adderley backed up by Alohi Gilman and Desmond King. Could bring back Roderic Teamer too.

I wouldn't bet on it, not this close to the season. SS Rayshawn Jenkins and FS Nasir Adderley backed up by Alohi Gilman and Desmond King. Could bring back Roderic Teamer too.
Teamer was good when James was out last year...…..until he got injured.

Didn't they release Teamer?

Seems like the replacement would be Adderley (with Jenkins shifting to SS) or Desmond King with Jenkins staying at FS. Adderley is a bit of an unknown quantity - I've read some good reports out of camp and the usual 'lining him up everywhere' stuff (LOL) but Lynn mentioned King and Jenkins this morning when asked about it. I'm not sure they fully trust Adderley yet. 

For now, I'm picking up King - at least he's shown he can produce for IDP and if he does get some SS snaps, he'd be gold there. It might be Jenkins-Adderley starting with King as a backup, but I'm ok missing out on Adderley since I don't get the feeling his upside is very high for fantasy (more of a strictly FS type who would rely in INTs for scoring). Ultimately I'm not sure the position will return much value.

James hurt... man that one will kill me (again) in a contract league.
Losing Derwin James is a bit of an issue but now who to replace him with.  I have narrowed down to the following:

• Karl Joseph (Cle)
  • Khari Willis (Ind)
  • Justin Reid (Hou)
  • Bradley McDougled (NYJ)
  • Anthony Harris (Min)

I think I am leaning toward Reid at this point.  Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations?

Any insight if there is any Ram LB worth having/starting outside of Kiser?

Last edited by a moderator:
obxlegends said:
My league has deep benches so I took a long shot on Reeder. Not really sure how they LB Corp will shake out, though 

obxlegends said:
Traven Howard was starting before he was injured. Young took his place in the scrimmage.

Traven Howard was starting before he was injured. Young took his place in the scrimmage.
Howard now missing the year with a torn meniscus. Back to Reeder/Young in a race to take over beside Kiser. https://theramswire.usatoday.com/lists/rams-travin-howard-linebacker-free-agent/

Kamal Martin (GB) also a meniscus surgery, noted as out at least 6 weeks but not season ending. With Burks returning from injury it's him and some names I don't even recognize to fill in beside Kirksey. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/02/packers-rookie-lb-kamal-martin-needs-knee-surgery-to-miss-several-weeks/

Howard now missing the year with a torn meniscus. Back to Reeder/Young in a race to take over beside Kiser. https://theramswire.usatoday.com/lists/rams-travin-howard-linebacker-free-agent/

Kamal Martin (GB) also a meniscus surgery, noted as out at least 6 weeks but not season ending. With Burks returning from injury it's him and some names I don't even recognize to fill in beside Kirksey. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/02/packers-rookie-lb-kamal-martin-needs-knee-surgery-to-miss-several-weeks/
I've always been a bit interested in Ty Summers since he's a bit of a tackle hog, but I haven't read anything to suggest they really trust him (there was a lot of good and bad last preseason). Burks might get first shot, but he's not very exciting IMO. Ultimately, I don't think it matters much - they use one LB and a bunch of DBs on the field a fair bit - more likely to see Raven Greene play heavy snaps as a hybrid LB, than for Burks or Summers to have consistent value. 

Browns just trading for Ronnie Harrison with that rag tag bunch of LB's in front of him is an attention grabber. 

Daniel Thomas getting the SS job in Jax?

Browns just trading for Ronnie Harrison with that rag tag bunch of LB's in front of him is an attention grabber. 

Daniel Thomas getting the SS job in Jax?
I hope so but it's so hard to know - I saw Wingard and Josh Jones mentioned, but not Thomas. I think he was injured recently in camp though so maybe that's hurt his chances. I think he has the most upside though and they drafted him potentially to replace Harrison. 

Does that make Karl Joseph irrelevant again?
It definitely clouds his status. Harrison's a box type whereas Joseph is more versatile. The Browns are gonna run a base nickel, but will it be more 3 cb sets? or big nickel with 3 safeties? Then when they go 2 safeties who comes off? Complicating matters is the week 1 matchup. Most teams aren't built like the Ravens, so just because the Browns do X week 1 doesn't mean they will week 2.

I'd prepare as if you can't start any of them until week 3. How you manage your bench depends on the league. In some formats I think you want to stash asap, but in others I'm tempted to just wait.

It definitely clouds his status. Harrison's a box type whereas Joseph is more versatile. The Browns are gonna run a base nickel, but will it be more 3 cb sets? or big nickel with 3 safeties? Then when they go 2 safeties who comes off? Complicating matters is the week 1 matchup. Most teams aren't built like the Ravens, so just because the Browns do X week 1 doesn't mean they will week 2.

I'd prepare as if you can't start any of them until week 3. How you manage your bench depends on the league. In some formats I think you want to stash asap, but in others I'm tempted to just wait.
I needed someone due to Derwin's injury.  I picked up Justin Reid and am waiting on Joseph.

Haven't really followed what Denver D was doing in camp but Davis has always seemed like the posterboy for JAG. 

Jewell as the other ILB? Didn't they recently sign Barron? Will he factor in?

ETA: Answering my own question? lol. Jewell was getting the 1st team reps according to this: https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/broncos-release-starting-lb-todd-davis
Seems like too much of a mess to really care about. Jewell will start but he’s shown he can’t cover and play in space. Barron will take coverage snaps (although he was horrible last year so who knows how long that will last). The upside with Jewell is he’s a pretty high tackle per snap guy so in deeper leagues he may be useful even on limited snaps.

They also have Calitro, who has now produced with a few different opportunities and I’d say is better than Barron at this point. But he was just signed so can’t expect much. Justin Hollins has been shifted inside and for me has the most upside here but is more of a patience play if you can stash - very raw at the position and will likely not be trusted with heavy snaps.

The takeaway for me is AJ Johnson is the only full time guy there most likely. 

Users who are viewing this thread