What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stuck At Home? - Let's Talk (2 Viewers)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I asked in this thread for people to please stay home if they can. Healthy people have a BIG role in this as they stay home when possible and help slow the spread of the virus. 

Many people today are fortunate and the biggest challenge is the inconvenience of being stuck at home. 

That can cause a couple of problems.

1. Boredom

2. Feeling helpless

Both of these can be helped by simply "Doing Something". 

Chris Brogan is a guy I follow some. He sent these ideas out:

If you’re not yet fluent in Skype and Zoom, get on it. Remote communication is the norm for a little while. And your company might use something else, but your customers, prospects, and whoever else might be Skype or Zoom people. Get used to more than one.

Create a workspace for yourself, even if it’s a corner of the kitchen table. Make it off limits for people to move things. We all need a “spot.”

Tidy up your LinkedIn profile. Who knows all the ramifications of this pandemic? Some companies are closing suddenly. Others won’t be recovering from the financial burden for a while. When was the last time you made sure your LinkedIn profile clearly told the story of who you are right now and how you can help?

Watch Some YouTube. This is the #2 search engine in the world, and it’s a channel where you can share a voice (my channel is here). Look for fun shows like Hot Ones or Threadbanger or Binging with Babish. Learning what you CAN do helps you practice.

Contact everyone on your contact list, 5 or 10 a day. Send a small check-in message and ask what you might be able to do to help, or just ask how the person is managing.

Cook something from scratch. Even if you’re not sure how. Do it anyway. Maybe use some of the gadgets you haven’t lately, like your juicer or Instant Pot.

Go for a hike. The sun is a disinfectant and also delivers anti-depressant help.

What are some others for you? Let's make a list and be a community here and help each other. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Books on the bookshelf you've been meaning to read?

Gym equipment at home? If not,  there a million ways to view or stream workout videos that don't require equipment. Why not leave this quarantine period healthier then you entered it?

My kids are 11, 14, 16 and 18.  We are constantly on the move and it’s rare that all 6 of us are at home together except at night to sleep.  We’ve already watched a couple of movies and played video games together - it’s been nice even under the circumstances.  My son leaves for college (theoretically) in 4 months.  This may be the last chance to have us all together in this type of setting - I plan to try and make the most of it until we are all ready to kill each other.

Also, network TV has a golden opportunity here. If they can create "event TV" they can capture an incredible market share they haven't done in awhile. Even just tapping into their vaults could excite viewers longing for the comfort of nostalgia. Though I am not sure why any company would be paying for commercials right now, lol. 

All housework projects. 

Need to paint a room...or 9?

Retile project?

May not be wise to take on a full kitchen remodel...would such to be at the part where you need sheetrock and something is closed for the time being. 

For how long?  Until a vaccine is widely available?  That could easily be a year.  

Not arguing, just asking questions.

Gamble.

As long as you are responsible for what few events are going on in the world there are some you can gamble on. Provides some entertainment that isn't necessarily dependent on other people and is available at all times of the day/night.

Those in your circle that do also gamble, it offers some bantering and fun discussions. 

I have a 13 day vacation coming up in a couple days.  Well, gonna be a staycation since my vacation is cancelled.

What the heck am I gonna do?  Got a lot of netflix to catch up on I guess

Gamble.

As long as you are responsible for what few events are going on in the world there are some you can gamble on. Provides some entertainment that isn't necessarily dependent on other people and is available at all times of the day/night.

Those in your circle that do also gamble, it offers some bantering and fun discussions. 
There is about to be a whole swarm of betting apps trying to find the niche that hits.

My friend group is big into board games. We were scheduled for a game day yesterday and moved it virtual- Skype and Board Game Arena. It actually worked amazingly well. In the post COVID19 world we'll definitely continue to get together in person. But this is a great option for including our friends that have moved out of state. I don't know why we didn't do it before.

For now, let's just say until your school system allows kids back in school. If your district hasnt shut schools down yet, they will.
Right.

But for those of you on board with basically being a shut in, how do you think you will feel about it say 5 months from now if things are still the same?

I have a 13 day vacation coming up in a couple days.  Well, gonna be a staycation since my vacation is cancelled.

What the heck am I gonna do?
Have a spa day with the SO. Dim lights, soft music,candles, warm bath, sleep a bunch, use some of her fancy face masks, give each other massage. '

IDK

Make it a point to joke around and find humor.

I dont mean gather your household and stand on the couch doing standup but in difficult times humor offers a release and sort of comfort in people of all ages, especially helpful to put kids and people who may be overly anxious at ease.

Humor is a big part of the human spirit that will keep us thriving.

Create a garden.

If this lasts 2 weeks or 2 months, hopefully as we come out of it you have some fresh food.
If you don't have room for produce, a herb garden should suffice. It'll get you into the fresh air, you can save a bit of money, and they take up less space.

Right.

But for those of you on board with basically being a shut in, how do you think you will feel about it say 5 months from now if things are still the same?
Weird for sure but I am going to be in incredible shape. I am currently working out for 90 in the AM and 90 in the PM. I am pretending I am a movie star training for a role in a new Avengers movie. 

Right.

1 day at time. 

Worry about what to do in august at the end of july. Let's get through today...and then next week.

People biggest problems aren't tackled by looking at what they will do with the 19th obstacle...it's by taking the 1st and simplest step.

ghostguy123 said:
For how long?  Until a vaccine is widely available?  That could easily be a year.  

Not arguing, just asking questions.
For the next week. Start there. 

ghostguy123 said:
Right.

Thanks. That's a different question. Start a new thread on that if you like.

For this thread, please let's try to keep this on track with productive / good / fun things they can do at home. Please don't derail this. Thanks. 

For the next week. Start there. 
So you want me to be a shut in, and also shut down any talk about how to go about things any further than a week from now?

"Hey guys, stay at home with nothing to do, and while you are at it, try not to think any further than a few days down the road.  Thanks."

This is all fine and dandy talk right NOW.  It probably wont be in a few weeks, and certainly wont be in a month or more.

Again, I am not saying I will personally be out there going wild and reckless, but the vast majority of the population isnt going to be able to hole up and ride it out for months.  Just wont happen.

Have a coin jar at home and kids?

Start a project. 

Seperate all the coins into denominations.  Sort by year. Create a list of what years you "need" have kids look around house for any coins. If when you go out try to pay cash and bring home  (after you sanitized) and let the kids sort for their collection. 

comfortably numb said:
Make it a point to joke around and find humor.

I dont mean gather your household and stand on the couch doing standup but in difficult times humor offers a release and sort of comfort in people of all ages, especially helpful to put kids and people who may be overly anxious. 

Humor is a big part of the human spirit that will keep us thriving.
Good one. Having a sense of humor always helps. A couple other things:

- Use the steam room and sauna you had built when you remodeled the basement

- Go out for a long drive in one of the classic cars you haven't driven in awhile

- Sort through your private art collection. Do you have a Degas or Kandinsky that has just been sitting in storage and could be displayed in your parlor or cloakroom? 

Read a good book. Amazon frequently has ebooks for free by self-published authors, yes, some are dreck, but you my find something you like. Others are pretty cheap.

Give your elderly neighbors a call and see if they have everything they need and they're doing all right.

Webcam.

Exercise vigorously every day and compare coins per hour from the you today that lived on pork rinds and craft beers to the you of the future that subsists on beans and rainwater.

So you want me to be a shut in, and also shut down any talk about how to go about things any further than a week from now?

"Hey guys, stay at home with nothing to do, and while you are at it, try not to think any further than a few days down the road.  Thanks."

This is all fine and dandy talk right NOW.  It probably wont be in a few weeks, and certainly wont be in a month or more.

Again, I am not saying I will personally be out there going wild and reckless, but the vast majority of the population isnt going to be able to hole up and ride it out for months.  Just wont happen.
He is looking for positive and productive thoughts/ideas in this thread. 

Discussion on how you will feel about this potentially inn5 months, while not usually out of context., he would probably prefer this not to be a thread of how you may feel about it 5 months from now. How stupid it may be for people to be doing this or should people be doing any isolating.

I think anyway

Probably not the right thread for this, but it's mostly about flattening the curve (not eliminating the virus completely), so hospitals don't get overwhelmed all at once. The goal right now is just to slow the exponential growth.  If someone can't make it more than a week, they do what they have to do.  But if enough people stay in as long as possible, it slows the spread considerably.

Still doing a fair amount of remote work on weekdays.

We're lucky to live next to a park and 700 acres of woods with paths throughout, so walked the kids and dog down to the tennis courts and played some tennis smacked the ball all over the place yesterday.

Busting out the D&D campaign.

Put some rules around when things happen/don't to keep some structure in the day.  Including 60-90 minutes of quiet time alone after lunch.

Wife's got a laundry list of gardening stuff to get to.  Kids are going to help with that.

The hardest part so far is that we're totally isolating for 10 days so we don't have to worry about things when someone we know says they were exposed.  Not very many people are doing that so there's FOMO for the kids and wife.

We are all leaving each other alone for the first hour of every day. 

We are then all doing whatever assigned work we have that day.

We are addressing one room in the house per day.

We are all doing some form of sustained exercise every day, outdoors. Regardless of weather but preferably under sun. 

Contact someone outside of our 4 walls. Multiple someone's are okay, but one is required.

We will cook something every day.

There will be a one hour reading break most days. If we get to dinner time and it hasn't happened then we won't force it, but it's already part of the night routine anyway. So even if it's just 20 minutes instead of an hour it's still part of the old normal. 

Also, take breaks from the virus talk.

Whether it's in here or irl the constant barrage of information leads to irrational fear.

I'm cleaning out my garage and organizing.  I'm throwing things away. A 14" piece of steel...I tossed it and then looked at it in the bin...I went and picked it out thinking i may be able to turn this into a weapon if needed.

So, yea...get out and take breaks from all the talks

Ilov80s said:
Books on the bookshelf you've been meaning to read?

Gym equipment at home? If not,  there a million ways to view or stream workout videos that don't require equipment. Why not leave this quarantine period healthier then you entered it?
I built a home gym 12 years ago.  Best thing I ever did.

Knew a guy that owned 4 PowerHouse Gyms and he was closing 2.  He let me pick out anything I wanted for pennies on the dollar and delivered it to my driveway.

I built a home gym 12 years ago.  Best thing I ever did.

Knew a guy that owned 4 PowerHouse Gyms and he was closing 2.  He let me pick out anything I wanted for pennies on the dollar and delivered it to my driveway.
Very nice. I have a bench, free weights, treadmill and rowing machine. Very thankful about that right now. 

Those of you who are going to be stuck at home, if you see your public servants out and about, let them know that they are appreciated. Even if it’s just a “Hi, how’s it going” from an open window. It means the world to us. 

Very nice. I have a bench, free weights, treadmill and rowing machine. Very thankful about that right now. 
Yeah.  We have a bunch of stuff we have around that we haven't used in a long time- weights, yoga DVDs, jump ropes, etc.  I already talked with my son about thinking hard about this if there is a self quarantine b/c of positive test needed.  This would be on the agenda for me too.  

Other thoughts for us: 

- dust off the guitar

- tackle the pile of books

- start spring cleaning early 

- I ordered a couple new board games and puzzles. 

- the 5 year old has more time to learn sight words and stuff.  

Mostly just using the time to try to get organized and start so healthy routines.  

Yeah.  We have a bunch of stuff we have around that we haven't used in a long time- weights, yoga DVDs, jump ropes, etc.  I already talked with my son about thinking hard about this if there is a self quarantine b/c of positive test needed.  This would be on the agenda for me too.  

Other thoughts for us: 

- dust off the guitar

- tackle the pile of books

- start spring cleaning early 

- I ordered a couple new board games and puzzles. 

- the 5 year old has more time to learn sight words and stuff.  

Mostly just using the time to try to get organized and start so healthy routines.  
Does your kid play basketball or am I totally confusing that detail with another member?

Ilov80s said:
Have a spa day with the SO. Dim lights, soft music,candles, warm bath, sleep a bunch, use some of her fancy face masks, give each other massage. '

IDK
Related.  Will we see a quarantine induced baby boom 9 months from now?

Board games, card games, dice games, dominoes.  We lead such busy lives now.  Always moving in different directions.  Take advantage of the time you get to spend together, but it could be a shock at first.  Make space for private time also.

Related.  Will we see a quarantine induced baby boom 9 months from now?

Board games, card games, dice games, dominoes.  We lead such busy lives now.  Always moving in different directions.  Take advantage of the time you get to spend together, but it could be a shock at first.  Make space for private time also.
Maybe but I would really try hard not to have a kid now- seems like the worst possible timing

Does your kid play basketball or am I totally confusing that detail with another member?
He does.  Obviously they mixed the season so he wont have games/tournaments until June now (if that) 

About a month ago he bookmarked a workout that supposedly helps with vertical. - lateral jumps, jump rope, squats, etc.  It wont be hard to push him to do that starting now.  He also badly needs to work on endurance, and that will be a bigger challenge. Wife and I talked about ordering a stationary bike to help out with that for all of us.  

He does.  Obviously they mixed the season so he wont have games/tournaments until June now (if that) 

About a month ago he bookmarked a workout that supposedly helps with vertical. - lateral jumps, jump rope, squats, etc.  It wont be hard to push him to do that starting now.  He also badly needs to work on endurance, and that will be a bigger challenge. Wife and I talked about ordering a stationary bike to help out with that for all of us.  
Nice, great time to get in all those workouts he didn't get to. You guys have a hoop outside?

Nice, great time to get in all those workouts he didn't get to. You guys have a hoop outside?
Yes/no.  Its across the street at a neighbor with no kids, but it's also not quite 10' so he doesn't use it much.  We also talked about ordering of of those for him too, but we also have to face the possibility of not having income for a stretch, and we cant blow 1000s prepping for something like this.  

I've been an empty nester for a few years now.  I would cut off my right pinkie for a couple uninterrupted weeks with my kids.  Yes we would get on each other's nerves, and yes there would be times when we would each be doing our own thing in separate areas of the house/yard, but I would love to spend that kind of time with them again.

Just a random thought from and older guy for you younger guys with kids to think about when you're climbing up the walls.

Yes/no.  Its across the street at a neighbor with no kids, but it's also not quite 10' so he doesn't use it much.  We also talked about ordering of of those for him too, but we also have to face the possibility of not having income for a stretch, and we cant blow 1000s prepping for something like this.  
There's always public parks with nets. As long as he is just playing by himself, there shouldn't be any worry.

Users who are viewing this thread