What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coronavirus Isolation - How far are you taking it? (1 Viewer)

I plan on picking up a few things then be totally contact free with anything anyone else has touched. Except the mail. It'll be nice to walk around the neighborhood and even take some drives without having to wash up each time afterwards. Hopefully do it for 2 weeks so we know we dont have it. 

Curious about something: For those who live in warmer climates such as Florida or California, are you going to the beach? We're in Miami, and went both days this weekend. I was actually thinking it was the perfect activity for right now: We could be outside and let the kids run around, but we didn't have to come particularly close to anyone else or touch common items (the way we would at say, playgrounds). 

Of course, the beaches we went to were also not particularly crowded. Today I'm seeing reports of large crowds and Clearwater Beach and lots of people saying, "Why don't they close the beaches?"

I guarantee you if we had arrived to see things as packed as they were in those videos, we would have turned around and gone home. But were we wrong to go in the first place?

Taking this very very seriously. We stocked up slowly over the last month or so but we've got enough food to last two months minimum. Keeping the one year old home from daycare indefinitely, wife works from home permanently, and my company essentially banned everyone from the office so I'm at home too. I don't plan on leaving the house other than going out to the backyard or walks around the neighborhood until May. There is a grocery store within walking distance, if we have to we can go there during odd hours and disinfect when we get home but I hope it isn't necessary.

edit: wife and I are 35 and healthy. We're just not messing around with this one. I don't want to get it and require hospitalization and be the reason some 65 year old doesn't get ventilation. 
Do either of you have parents nearby? Our scenario is very similar and my parents are like "we can still hang out with the kids, right" and I'm struggling with how to respond. 

Curious about something: For those who live in warmer climates such as Florida or California, are you going to the beach? We're in Miami, and went both days this weekend. I was actually thinking it was the perfect activity for right now: We could be outside and let the kids run around, but we didn't have to come particularly close to anyone else or touch common items (the way we would at say, playgrounds). 

Of course, the beaches we went to were also not particularly crowded. Today I'm seeing reports of large crowds and Clearwater Beach and lots of people saying, "Why don't they close the beaches?"

I guarantee you if we had arrived to see things as packed as they were in those videos, we would have turned around and gone home. But were we wrong to go in the first place?
Seems like a good day out. I would think the beach is a very virus free place to be. 

Do either of you have parents nearby? Our scenario is very similar and my parents are like "we can still hang out with the kids, right" and I'm struggling with how to respond. 
My mom is 83 been having a lot of knee pain and back pain. She's been down lately. We normally see her a few times a month or she'll come over for a night or 2.

I will be stopping in to check in on her and just hang with her. Thought about the risk of taking kids. I'll talk to her, I'm sure she will not think it's a big deal or will assume risk.

Edit: she's about 45m away

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a good day out. I would think the beach is a very virus free place to be. 
In theory yes. But these images make me feel almost as ill as those shots of O'Hare over the weekend.

By the way, I see mentioned in that article that both Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale have closed their beaches for now. It sounds like there's a particular emphasis on the stretches most used by spring breakers, and that they coordinated their move to ensure that one did not shut down and send a rush of people to the other. The two beaches we went to this weekend were nowhere near either location. So maybe that's the solution: Go, but make sure wherever you are you're avoiding crowds.

By the way, the place we went yesterday was Crandon Beach on Key Biscayne. The beach was fine, but on the way in we lots of group gatherings in the park for kids' birthday parties and the like. One party we walked by had the grandparents celebrating with the kid. Oy.

My mom is 83 been having a lot of knee pain and back pain. She's been down lately. We normally see her a few times a month or she'll come over for a night or 2.

I will be stopping in to check in on her and just hang with her. Thought about the risk of taking kids. I'll talk to her, I'm sure she will not think it's a big deal or will assume risk.

Edit: she's about 45m away
Look, all of us have to make our own decisions about our tolerance for risk, but we decided on Friday to cancel our plans to drive over to my parents and celebrate Dad's 79th birthday. He didn't understand at first at said, "We can't stop living." I said, "You literally can, and that's why we're not coming."

It has been my observation that many older people don't truly appreciate the stakes here, so I don't think you can just leave the decision up to them. What it came down to for me was that kids are horrible disease vectors, and if Mom and Dad later got sick, even if I didn't know for sure that I or my kids had caused it, I would never be able to forgive myself. And was that really worth it for what would have been an anxiety-ridden weekend anyway?

Obviously, I know that a lot of people need to go check in on their elderly parents, but even there, I would suggest limiting it to one adult and no children.

In the meantime, use lots of FaceTime and explain that you're doing this out of love for them, and that once this is over they will be able to hug and kiss their grandkids all they want. 

In theory yes. But these images make me feel almost as ill as those shots of O'Hare over the weekend.

By the way, I see mentioned in that article that both Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale have closed their beaches for now. It sounds like there's a particular emphasis on the stretches most used by spring breakers, and that they coordinated their move to ensure that one did not shut down and send a rush of people to the other. The two beaches we went to this weekend were nowhere near either location. So maybe that's the solution: Go, but make sure wherever you are you're avoiding crowds.

By the way, the place we went yesterday was Crandon Beach on Key Biscayne. The beach was fine, but on the way in we lots of group gatherings in the park for kids' birthday parties and the like. One party we walked by had the grandparents celebrating with the kid. Oy.
I wouldn't go to a packed Spring Break beach. It really just depends on the density of people there. 

No, IMO you weren’t wrong

I wouldn't go to a packed Spring Break beach. It really just depends on the density of people there. 
I mean, that's also the case for me when there's no pandemic. Also, someone who's stupid enough to be at a packed beach right now is also probably someone stupid enough to be doing other things that might spread the virus

My in laws stopped by two days ago. FIL sticks out his hand to shake mine. MIL tries to give me a hug. Immediately gives my toddler a hug and kiss. 

I'm 60 and Mrs. Eephus is a bit younger but has a history of respiratory issues.  She's been totally hunkered down for the past week while I've only ventured out to stock up on supplies.  There's not going to be much of a change with the SF shelter in place order coming at midnight.  I went to Safeway today for one last grocery run, hit the weed dispensary and rode my bike to the beach.  After that, we're in for the duration.

Our daughter lives in the flat downstairs and she's working reduced hours from home.  Our son is in the USAF and in a stroke of bad timing, had planned his first extended leave in a year for this month.  He drove here from New Mexico yesterday and is going to take care of his grandparents on the other side of town.

They are letting the bulk of us work from home starting today and I am doing so.

I have to take my car for repair tomorrow unfortunately, but want to have it in case of emergency (particularly if mass transit is shut down).

Once I get back from the mechanic tomorrow I plan to basically hunker down in the apartment as much as possible.  I've stocked up decently on food and other essentials but knowing my own nature I'm going to sort of self-ration.  I know I'm going to lose weight during this.

Hope all you footballguys and gals are staying safe - this is nothing to mess with.

I live in a small beach town on FL's east coast.  Ever since the amusement parks and schools got closed and with no sports, we have been inundated with people from Orlando coming to the beach. Lines on the road to the beach backed up for miles. At least the bikers seem to be starting to go home.  No bueno.

I'm struggling with getting food from sandwich shops and other takeout joints.

Guy at the counter is exposed to hundreds a day.  We are not quite a hot spot in North County SD but we aren't a cold spot either.  Confirmed cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm struggling with getting food from sandwich shops and other takeout joints.

Guy at the counter is exposed to hundreds a day.  We are not quite a hot spot in North County SD but we aren't a cold spot either.  Confirmed cases.
On the one hand, I've heard that brief interactions are less likely to result in transmission. If you have to interact with a clerk, wash your hands immediately before and after, try to keep distance, put money down on table and ask him to do the same with change, etc. (or use ApplePay if they're set up for it.)

All that being said, probably a better idea to just bring your own food from home. Nothing's binary; it's all about degrees of risk. Default to the lower-risk option.

I have to go into the office tomorrow (long story) and, although I almost always go out and get something from a local joint, I'll be bringing leftovers this time.

Far. Put mail in the over at 220 for 10 minutes today to disinfect. Every package gets left outside for an hour, then given thorough wipe down with Clorox wipes. Got fresh produce and washed with soap before it went in the fridge. 

Even in walks, won’t go with 15 feet of anyone. 

Taking it very seriously.
That seems to be taking it too far with the mail. We’re just opening it and then immediately washing hands afterwards. 

California has been far from warm this month.  Noah’s Ark type rain. Never out of the 50’s
Corona or not, I wouldn't go to the beach if it was cold and raining. However, I am sure the beach is very safe as the virus goes. A windy beach with a full on downpour isn't exactly hospitable for a virus. 

Corona or not, I wouldn't go to the beach if it was cold and raining. However, I am sure the beach is very safe as the virus goes. A windy beach with a full on downpour isn't exactly hospitable for a virus. 
We've been taking our dog to the beach during not busy times...easy to socially distance.   Still surprised to see old people out there though...some people just wont give up their routine

We've been taking our dog to the beach during not busy times...easy to socially distance.   Still surprised to see old people out there though...some people just wont give up their routine
I pretty much cant take any of these declarations from mayors and governors seriously when they dont include serious restrictions for the elderly and detailed plans to make sure they stay fed while they are restricted. 

We haven't seen anyone outside the household up close in like four days so far?  Just getting warmed up here.  We gonna lockdown like Gandalf on Children of Men.

I don’t get to practice it because of my job (retail pharmacist) but my wife and two girls are, so I’m trying to as much as possible when not at work. I’ve been isolated to the guest room and have to shower as soon as I get home. Testing has been horrible here in AZ, so the cases are still low but that’s likely to change soon. Bars and restaurants are still open, so I decided to make one last stop to support the bars/breweries my friends own by getting some to-go beer and gift cards. Off the next two days and will be essentially be isolated while watching the kids (wife is normally WFH).

For the parents with kids in daycare/preschool, how is that setup? We have our kids in a preschool normally but decided to pull them out now. They are still open, so we are getting charged whether they go or not. Is that typical for everyone else too? I get staying open for the children of health care workers but why continue to charge everyone regardless of attendance?

I am 61, my wife will be 60 in April.  At this time we still plan to continue to see our grandkids (8,6,and 4).  Are we being reckless?
Probably. My family is a pretty reasonable bunch. We’re all avoiding, and keeping our kids away from, our parents in their 70s. And my parents are staying in. They have workers finishing a job at their house and are allowing that to complete, but otherwise they’re on lockdown. My dad got stir crazy the other day and came by to sit out back and have a smoke with me, but the kids and we stayed 6-10 feet away at all times. Better safe than sorry. 

Beach and outdoor locations that are not crowded seem reasonable to me. 

Wife and I both are in healthcare. We work in the hospital, and are following CDC recommendations regarding PPE. Encouraged my elderly in-laws to stay home, and offered to bring them groceries/sundries as needed.

I will be off for a week starting tomorrow. Had to cancel a ski trip to UT, but plan on going hiking/climbing outside with a friend or two with social distancing in effect. Will avoid public places and the beach, though I dislike crowds and sand/water even in normal circumstances.

I haven't read the other responses yet but I am full time WFH and my wife is retired. We lock down pretty much because, well, that was life before. Homebodies. But of course dinners out, movies, all that has stopped. More grocery store runs then I care for trying to find the things we need like meat (heading to the store when it opens at 6 a.m. for instance). Are watching the grandkids some to give the parents a chance to work. That's where we are.

Posted this in another thread, but probably applies here.

I believe the social distancing will only be effective if enforced by the government e.g what they're doing in San Francisco.

However, I'd prefer it be coordinated nationally and make it a month. Otherwise I think it will be like whack-a-mole.

We are doing FaceTime with kids/grandparents.

Posted this in another thread, but probably applies here.

I believe the social distancing will only be effective if enforced by the government e.g what they're doing in San Francisco.

However, I'd prefer it be coordinated nationally and make it a month. Otherwise I think it will be like whack-a-mole.
This thing hasn’t even really hit in the US.   Ohio has closed schools for 3 weeks but I don’t think the schools open again for this school year.   This new, strange world with social distancing as a way of life is probably going to last until June.  

Pretty sure all gyms in Michigan closed today.

I have an additive personality.  I work out 6 days a week.  I am worried with too much down time I will start drinking more out of boredom.  I can only binge watch TV for 2-3 hours tops.  
Same here.  I've been on Garmin Connect and Strava forever, but recently discovered Endomondo.  Endomondo tracks everything and has a calendar that, to me, is an incredible motivator (as gaps in the calendar #### me off).  My current goal is to see just how many activities and I can "plot".  We are lucky to have a treadmill, spin bike, bike trainer and multiple TRX set ups.  Along with all of this, YouTube has Yoga, among other things.  I'm in MI too and hoping they keep the state parks and metroparks open.  If they do, when things warm up I hope to bike and run Belle Isle, MetroBeach and the like (all while maintaining social distancing).  

gf insists on still seeing her clients ... she does behavioral therapy with kids (mostly between 4-8 yrs old) on the spectrum. 

great majority of this is usually done at their respective schools, but all are closed now - so the parents have asked for her to keep seeing their children because they rely on her so much - home visits were shot down, so the compromise was two hr seassions at the office. 

her dedication to these kids is something i deeply love and admire about her, but i did request at least a two week break here so we, as a family, could lock the #### down - we're fully stocked for the apocalypse, or the next two months, whichever comes first. 

i don't fully expect to keep myself bunkered any longer than April 1st, lest it's government mandated ... and this is what i asked of her - JUST GIVE IT TWO FULL WEEKS and let's see how we come outta it on the other side. 

but, nope ... she's prepping to leave, has a 10 - 12 client this morning ... TWO hours, but she assures me those two hours are so crucial to these kids. 

so, off she goes ... and i gotta swallow it for now - sending her to and fro using Uber, but that still doesn't ease my agita enough. 

i feel kinda selfish and cold telling her to put this #### on the back burner for a bit, and i may have to get harder core in slapping the kibosh on this. 

🇮🇪 Happy St. Patrick's Day 🇮🇪

Look, all of us have to make our own decisions about our tolerance for risk, but we decided on Friday to cancel our plans to drive over to my parents and celebrate Dad's 79th birthday. He didn't understand at first at said, "We can't stop living." I said, "You literally can, and that's why we're not coming."

It has been my observation that many older people don't truly appreciate the stakes here, so I don't think you can just leave the decision up to them. What it came down to for me was that kids are horrible disease vectors, and if Mom and Dad later got sick, even if I didn't know for sure that I or my kids had caused it, I would never be able to forgive myself. And was that really worth it for what would have been an anxiety-ridden weekend anyway?

Obviously, I know that a lot of people need to go check in on their elderly parents, but even there, I would suggest limiting it to one adult and no children.

In the meantime, use lots of FaceTime and explain that you're doing this out of love for them, and that once this is over they will be able to hug and kiss their grandkids all they want. 
What’s weird to me is you would think the older people would actually know to take this serious and know how to handle it. 

Wife and I are in our upper 40's and taking it very seriously. 

I'm mandatory WFH since last week and I don't see it ending soon.  Friday I finished stocking up on supplies and I haven't left the house since except to walk the dog a few times.  

My wife had a mandatory work meeting yesterday, other than that she's been home for close to a week and will be home for at least the rest of the month.  

Our frustration right now is our 21yo that lives nearby and works in a cafe with delivery and drive thru, who thinks it is 'overblown' but also worried and still is working all the time.  She came over last night for dinner, because that's what she does when she can.  I made her wash her hands as soon as she came in, but I'm not sure it is enough.  She also took some of our TP, which is fine normally.

Our main concern is my parents and my in-laws.  My parents are pushing 70 but still relatively healthy.  My in-laws are mid 70's, local and both have significant health issues.  I will probably have to do some grocery shopping for the in-laws later this week.  I am not happy about that, but better me doing it than them because my in-laws will not survive this.  We are trying to stay healthy in case they need our help.  We have also told our daughter she is to stay away from her grandparents.  

Oh, I'm also worried that our 21yo will get 'flu-like' symptoms of some kind and end up staying here for us to take care of her and in turn making both of us sick.  Fun!

My wife's freaking out.  The kids (9 and 7) have friends down the street and she is basically nixing them getting together.   I guess that's fine and dandy.
We did the same yesterday.  We wobbled on it this weekend and let our kids have a friend over, felt like we shouldn't have though.  

Yesterday we told them don't go to anyone house and no kids in our house.  We told them both if they had a friend over they had to stay outside, which quickly turned into a football game of about 8 kids.  We panicked and took our kids back inside....I think we're doing a for real lock down now.  

None of the other parents in our neighborhood seemed to care.  I'll have a front porch beer with a friend from a safe distance, but thats about the max for me.  

Kids are about to go nuts.  

We did the same yesterday.  We wobbled on it this weekend and let our kids have a friend over, felt like we shouldn't have though.  

Yesterday we told them don't go to anyone house and no kids in our house.  We told them both if they had a friend over they had to stay outside, which quickly turned into a football game of about 8 kids.  We panicked and took our kids back inside....I think we're doing a for real lock down now.  

None of the other parents in our neighborhood seemed to care.  I'll have a front porch beer with a friend from a safe distance, but thats about the max for me.  

Kids are about to go nuts.  
Yeah, it's tough. Everyone has to draw their own line, but I think it's better to err on the side of caution. But as I mentioned in a previous post, there is no binary decision where this is definitely OK and this will definitely get you infected. Everything is about risk mitigation. In theory, it would probably be best if we all separated ourselves completely from other people, including our family, but that's simply not realistic. So we all make our various concessions and try not to be stupid about it. If you can get by without in-person playdates, that's better. If you think your kids will go all "Shining" on you, then try to limit it to one-on-one, outdoor playdates that don't involve close contact (I know, it may be hard to check all those boxes.)

IMO the important points are a) be smart, and b) if you're not sure whether you should do something, ask yourself the hard questions about whether it's really necessary. We weren't sure whether to visit my parents to celebrate my dad's birthday, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized it wasn't worth the risk. Better to wait until they can fully interact with their grandkids and enjoy the time together rather than spending the whole time worrying and trying to limit contact.

What’s weird to me is you would think the older people would actually know to take this serious and know how to handle it. 
There's just this weird thing where they're in denial or want to downplay it. I'm sure there's some psychological explanation, but I'm seeing this everywhere among the elderly.

The nurse I am working with right now has another job.  Two of his coworkers have tested positive.

At least the guy I had to wrestle yesterday tested negative.

Yeah, it's tough. Everyone has to draw their own line, but I think it's better to err on the side of caution. But as I mentioned in a previous post, there is no binary decision where this is definitely OK and this will definitely get you infected. Everything is about risk mitigation. In theory, it would probably be best if we all separated ourselves completely from other people, including our family, but that's simply not realistic. So we all make our various concessions and try not to be stupid about it. If you can get by without in-person playdates, that's better. If you think your kids will go all "Shining" on you, then try to limit it to one-on-one, outdoor playdates that don't involve close contact (I know, it may be hard to check all those boxes.)

IMO the important points are a) be smart, and b) if you're not sure whether you should do something, ask yourself the hard questions about whether it's really necessary. We weren't sure whether to visit my parents to celebrate my dad's birthday, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized it wasn't worth the risk. Better to wait until they can fully interact with their grandkids and enjoy the time together rather than spending the whole time worrying and trying to limit contact.
We have a kid turning 5 this weekend and we axed her party.  Grand parents aren't too happy, but hopefully they understand.   My parents are just in their 70's but not great health.  I've urged them to take this seriously, but they really haven't.  They still interact with my sisters kids every afternoon.  

gf insists on still seeing her clients ... she does behavioral therapy with kids (mostly between 4-8 yrs old) on the spectrum. 

great majority of this is usually done at their respective schools, but all are closed now - so the parents have asked for her to keep seeing their children because they rely on her so much - home visits were shot down, so the compromise was two hr seassions at the office. 

her dedication to these kids is something i deeply love and admire about her, but i did request at least a two week break here so we, as a family, could lock the #### down - we're fully stocked for the apocalypse, or the next two months, whichever comes first. 

i don't fully expect to keep myself bunkered any longer than April 1st, lest it's government mandated ... and this is what i asked of her - JUST GIVE IT TWO FULL WEEKS and let's see how we come outta it on the other side. 

but, nope ... she's prepping to leave, has a 10 - 12 client this morning ... TWO hours, but she assures me those two hours are so crucial to these kids. 

so, off she goes ... and i gotta swallow it for now - sending her to and fro using Uber, but that still doesn't ease my agita enough. 

i feel kinda selfish and cold telling her to put this #### on the back burner for a bit, and i may have to get harder core in slapping the kibosh on this. 

🇮🇪 Happy St. Patrick's Day 🇮🇪
First of all, whether or not she should be seeing clients right now, tell your wife she is doing God's work and thank her for me.

My younger son is on the spectrum (older one technically is, too, but he's much more high functioning and doesn't need regular interventions). Today our speech therapist is coming by the house for a session. We asked if we could get the first slot of the day to minimize the exposure to other kids' germs. Our behavioral therapist is dealing with some personal issues right now, but when she returns we may have her come by as well.

I'm not totally thrilled at the idea, but I think there is value in having my son continue to receive these therapies, especially given how long this could go on, and I feel like we can mitigate risk to an acceptable level. But I also know we may be looking back in a couple weeks and wondering what the hell we were thinking.

We have a kid turning 5 this weekend and we axed her party.  Grand parents aren't too happy, but hopefully they understand.   My parents are just in their 70's but not great health.  I've urged them to take this seriously, but they really haven't.  They still interact with my sisters kids every afternoon.  
Saw people celebrating a kids' birthday party at a public park this weekend, with grandparents present. Had to resist the urge to yell at them.

Saw people celebrating a kids' birthday party at a public park this weekend, with grandparents present. Had to resist the urge to yell at them.
I took the dogs on a run Sunday and saw a baby shower at the neighborhood clubhouse.  Probably 50+ people.   :no:

Users who are viewing this thread