What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is New England going to do at QB? (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
I don't see them sitting tight with:

QB: Jarrett Stidham, Cody Kessler

What move is Bill Belichick going to make?

Not buying Jarrett or Cody.  

Before people start throwing out lots of names of established players, the Patriots currently have $8.9 million in cap space. So slotting in guys getting $15M, $18M, $25M a year are not options without major changes.

IMO, they will ride with Stidham and potentially draft another QB. But they will likely be opting to not spend a lot in real or cap dollars at QB. The other option would be to wait a month or two to see what desperate QB is still on the market and sign him to a dirt cheap under market deal.

Before people start throwing out lots of names of established players, the Patriots currently have $8.9 million in cap space. So slotting in guys getting $15M, $18M, $25M a year are not options without major changes.

IMO, they will ride with Stidham and potentially draft another QB. But they will likely be opting to not spend a lot in real or cap dollars at QB. The other option would be to wait a month or two to see what desperate QB is still on the market and sign him to a dirt cheap under market deal.
Doesnt seem right to me. Either you (the Pats) like Stidham or you dont. 

Don't sell Stidham short...I do think he is very much in the mix...the question is whether they think that is now or later...that being said there is no doubt he is an unknown quantity and they will be adding another legit option to the mix...I have posted elsewhere that my wildcard is Jalen Hurts (or Jodan Love)...McDaniels used a #1 on Tebow and while that did not work out I could see the Pats wanting a far more diverse QB going forward...overall, I think these are the candidates (that appear to be realistic options) and you need to separate them into two categories...1, a veteran if they are skeptical Stidham is ready now and 2, thinking Stidham just maybe viable right now:

Andy Dalton-a name that has been thrown around a lot...Burrows is coming so he is a goner...we all know his history but the thinking is mentally he would be a good fit with BB and there is no question he has never been coached like he would here...if Stidham is not ready this seems like a logical choice (if they actually like him I am not worried about the money...they will figure it out...it is too important of a position)

Jameis Winston-intriguing but so much of what he is is the opposite of what BB wants in a QB...that being said he is a former #1 and BB loves his reclamation projects...just not sure he wants one at the most important position in the game

Cam Newton-would probably not be a long-term solution and short-term if the Pats do see Stidham as the future I don't see Newton being comfortable in that situation.

Jacoby Brissett-they could not have given up on him quicker when they had him (and was making no money) so not sure why they would want him now

Taysom Hill-he kind of fits into both categories...BB loves his multi-dimensional players...seems kind of crazy but would he entertain some kind of legit platoon system?

Josh Rosen-yuck...but everything is on the table right now...you can include Blake Bortles and AJ McCarron in the yuck category as well

Nick Mullins-another one who fits into both categories...this guy has some intrigue...only 24 and showed a little something when he started for the Niners

A rookie-Pats have the #23 pick, no #2 and a pretty good haul of picks after that including three #3's...outside of Burrow, Tua and probably Herbert (Love is all over the place in mocks) any other solid rookie prospect should be on the table since they could get them

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be a great move. It would guarantee them the number 1 pick in 2021.
maybe. but 20+ yrs of watching BB makes me think his most likely response to the Brady exodus is to build him a new one from spare parts. you dont get more Heathkit-TB12 than Josh Rosen and the coach owes him one

ETA: Last summer, Stidham's 1st game after they shipped Hoyer out, he made one of the most careless plays i've ever seen from a quarterback. Belichick pulled him immediately and never placed him in a position of trust afterward. i've seen the coach disappear prominent prospects for less or i would indeed believe that's who BB will be going with in 2020

ETA Extra: If Belichick does want a real QB, i would say Joe Thuney for Matthew Stafford makes a lot of sense. Lions drafting Tua buys Patricia time (the Daniel signing seems a lot smarter behind him than Stafford) and is the only cap scenario where BB gets a talented, committed QB to work with

Gotta strongly disagree here...whether they like him or not (and no one knows) he is still very much an unknown quantity...he was not a can't miss prospect coming out of college...in a perfect world he is legit and the successor but I don't see the Pats putting all their eggs in that basket so soon...it would be irresponsible.

That would be a great move. It would guarantee them the number 1 pick in 2021.
It's all a plot to get Trevor Lawrence.

Honestly, rolling with stidham could be a good move here. They probably still don't get the 1, but if he's horrible they probably get a high enough pick to get one of the top few QBs.

Honestly, rolling with stidham could be a good move here. They probably still don't get the 1, but if he's horrible they probably get a high enough pick to get one of the top few QBs.
At this stage in BB’s career, the Patriots are not going to be in the running for the #1 draft pick. People are making NE out to be in the same tier as CIN or WAS. They’re not. 

I don't know if they would, but couldn't they just restructure a couple of guys like hightower, thuney, and Gilmore to make some room? Maybe trade one of them for Dalton.

But I'd probably just roll with JS.

I don't know if they would, but couldn't they just restructure a couple of guys like hightower, thuney, and Gilmore to make some room? Maybe trade one of them for Dalton.

But I'd probably just roll with JS.
Hightower is really the only one, but they would have to extend him. Gilmore might convert salary to a bonus, but that wouldn’t save much. Thuney would be dumb to take a deal for much less than the tag number. Dalton would be a potential option in he got released, but I can’t see them trading assets and paying him nearly $18 million. I outlined the options NE has to save money in the Patriots team thread. 

At this stage in BB’s career, the Patriots are not going to be in the running for the #1 draft pick. People are making NE out to be in the same tier as CIN or WAS. They’re not. 
I'm joking about Lawrence, but there are others like Fields, Mond, and we know others will pop up this coming season. 

Stidham and tank for Trevor if Stidham doesn't work out.

BB has to know they are not going to win this year if they could not win with Brady last year.

BB is too smart to go 8-8 or 9-7 with Dalton/Foles/Winston

You can like a guy while not being 100% sure he works out.  If he does work out, they don't get the 1.01 but they have Stidham.

If they are terrible they can manipulate things to get a high draft pick.  Of course they are not in the same class as WAS or CIN - they are far smarter and know how to plan more than 2 seconds ahead of right now.  

Stidham and tank for Trevor if Stidham doesn't work out.

BB has to know they are not going to win this year if they could not win with Brady last year.

BB is too smart to go 8-8 or 9-7 with Dalton/Foles/Winston
For starters, they won’t have any of the three guys you mentioned. They couldn’t win with Brady last year, but a part of that is due to the ton of injuries they had. A BB team is not going to tank. 

Brady last year was not the guy that lit up the league in 2007. Yes, his receivers weren’t great, but it’s not like they were the worst unit in the history of the league. 

If BB were so concerned about the QB position, he would have brought in other guys last year or would have positioned the team to sign one this year. I am pretty sure he knows what he is doing and knows where things stand with Stidham. 

Don't see BB tanking...he is 68 years old, chasing Shula (who he despises) and knows it is not a good look for his legacy if they go 2-14 the first year post-TB12...he went 11-5 with Cassel (who was only a backup at USC) so there is a small sample size of being in this situation.

Gotta strongly disagree here...whether they like him or not (and no one knows) he is still very much an unknown quantity...he was not a can't miss prospect coming out of college...in a perfect world he is legit and the successor but I don't see the Pats putting all their eggs in that basket so soon...it would be irresponsible.
So they will spend another day 3 pick on a QB? Sure I can see that. I cant see them spending a first or second rounder. 

So they will spend another day 3 pick on a QB? Sure I can see that. I cant see them spending a first or second rounder. 
I don't see them simply going with Stidham and a fifth round pick unless they are 100% convinced Stidham is going to be a high-level starter (even if they are they still need a legit back-up)...if that is the case I will be more then happy but I would be shocked if there is not another viable QB on their roster by opening day.

I don't see them simply going with Stidham and a fifth round pick unless they are 100% convinced Stidham is going to be a high-level starter (even if they are they still need a legit back-up)...if that is the case I will be more then happy but I would be shocked if there is not another viable QB on their roster by opening day.
I agree. I think they find the money for a FA. My response was to Anarchy who is working under the assumption that they will not bring in a player other than via the draft. 

I agree. I think they find the money for a FA. My response was to Anarchy who is working under the assumption that they will not bring in a player other than via the draft. 
I don't think they will pursue a name FA with a big contract. I suspect they will wait it out to see who is still available two months from now and offer someone a dirt cheap contract. But it won't be someone like the big name guys that have been listed. It would likely be a former starter somewhere that has been a back up more recently or a retread coming off an injury (someone like Alex Smith). But I don't think the FA they may bring in will be the starter or a long term solution. More of a safety net if Stidham falls on his face.

I don't think they will pursue a name FA with a big contract. I suspect they will wait it out to see who is still available two months from now and offer someone a dirt cheap contract. But it won't be someone like the big name guys that have been listed. It would likely be a former starter somewhere that has been a back up more recently or a retread coming off an injury (someone like Alex Smith). But I don't think the FA they may bring in will be the starter or a long term solution. More of a safety net if Stidham falls on his face.
Fair enough. 

I think everything is on the table...the bottom-line is no one other then BB and his inner-circle knows what he thinks of Stidham...they could see him as a potential high-end starter or the next Brian Hoyer but we won't have a clue until we see what else they add to the QB position...it's too bad the Jimmy G timeline did not match-up to this...would have been a perfect transition.

I think everything is on the table...the bottom-line is no one other then BB and his inner-circle knows what he thinks of Stidham...they could see him as a potential high-end starter or the next Brian Hoyer but we won't have a clue until we see what else they add to the QB position...it's too bad the Jimmy G timeline did not match-up to this...would have been a perfect transition.
Well, too bad for you. Most of us are loving it.  :P

For starters, they won’t have any of the three guys you mentioned. They couldn’t win with Brady last year, but a part of that is due to the ton of injuries they had. A BB team is not going to tank. 

Brady last year was not the guy that lit up the league in 2007. Yes, his receivers weren’t great, but it’s not like they were the worst unit in the history of the league. 

If BB were so concerned about the QB position, he would have brought in other guys last year or would have positioned the team to sign one this year. I am pretty sure he knows what he is doing and knows where things stand with Stidham. 
If they were anything close to a super bowl contender, Brady would be back.

Brady knows they are not.

They can probably win that crappy division.

Well, too bad for you. Most of us are loving it.  :P
No worries at all...as a Boston fan who hated teams like the Canadians and Yankees as they dominated I am more then happy to be in this situation...the fact it lasted 20 years is pretty ridiculous in the big scheme of things...especially for a franchise that was once no stranger to competing for worst franchise in all of pro sports.

If they were anything close to a super bowl contender, Brady would be back.

Brady knows they are not.

They can probably win that crappy division.
Maybe, maybe not to all of those. IMO, BB doesn't think Brady is the best man for the job anymore, doesn't think he is worth anywhere near $30 million a year anymore, and knows the useful expectancy of a 43-year-old QB is very short. I don't think being a SB contender or not had anything to do with it. Brady was sick of BB and BB didn't want Brady. Put another way, I don't think TB is any closer to a SB than NE is.

Most recent rumor is Cam to bears, if so I can see Dalton going to the pats and a rookie being drafted.

If he plays like he did the time he got on the field against the Jets, they surely get the top overall pick.

If he plays like he did the time he got on the field against the Jets, they surely get the top overall pick.
And if Matt Flynn played like he did against the Lions in 2012 for an entire season, he would have thrown for 7,690 yards and 96 TD the following year for the Seahawks. Limited sample sizes aren't even worth talking about.

Trade a bag of beans for Andy Dalton, draft a stud QB who falls in 2020, and then trade Dalton next year for more than you traded him for this year. You know they'll find a way to do it.

In the Shark Pool mock I have the Patriots, and I traded for Andy Dalton.
NE might end up with Dalton IF HE GETS RELEASED. But why would they trade Thuney and a pick for him? No one would trade for him last year. Under normal circumstances, a team might dump the salary of a washed up player to take on Dalton (33 years old and 0-4 in the playoffs). But Thuney? He's one of the best guards in the league. This trade doesn't make much sense for NE unless they think Dalton is going to be a long-term solution and lead the Patriots to the promised land (which I don't believe they think that).

NE might end up with Dalton IF HE GETS RELEASED. But why would they trade Thuney and a pick for him? No one would trade for him last year. Under normal circumstances, a team might dump the salary of a washed up player to take on Dalton (33 years old and 0-4 in the playoffs). But Thuney? He's one of the best guards in the league. This trade doesn't make much sense for NE unless they think Dalton is going to be a long-term solution and lead the Patriots to the promised land (which I don't believe they think that).
Agreed...Thuney is one of the best players on the team...if they are gonna deal him you want long-term assets back...I could see a deal for Dalton but I don't see them giving up too much...right now they have a lot of holes to plug.

Agreed...Thuney is one of the best players on the team...if they are gonna deal him you want long-term assets back...I could see a deal for Dalton but I don't see them giving up too much...right now they have a lot of holes to plug.
It does seem they have a lot of holes to plug, and in the past they were able to do it through late round picks, UDFA's, lower tier free agents, cast offs, and seemingly minor trades. One would hope they can keep doing that, but this time they can't afford to make many mistakes.

It does seem they have a lot of holes to plug, and in the past they were able to do it through late round picks, UDFA's, lower tier free agents, cast offs, and seemingly minor trades. One would hope they can keep doing that, but this time they can't afford to make many mistakes.
Yup...the key to that strategy is having a core group of studs you can rely on as you figure things out...now that Brady is gone that core is a getting real shaky as players like  McCourty, Slater, Gostkowski and Edelman are aging, a core piece like Hightower has a lot of wear and tear and players like Cannon, Andrews and Chung have serious question marks as well...at the end of the day their drafting the past few years is really hurting them...they really need to nail this draft if they want to begin the process of remaining a contender for the near future 

Users who are viewing this thread