What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What the Cincinnati Bengals should do? (1 Viewer)

twood

Footballguy
1st, I will start this off by saying, I am not a huge Joe Burrow fan.

I think he had one of, if not the best, college seasons a college QB has ever had. He had a great team around him and he took full advantage of it.

I think he is a great kid and I have nothing personal against him, but I am just not sold on him in the NFL.

He wasn't a huge recruit coming out of high school and couldn't beat out the QB's at Ohio St.

If he goes to a good team in the NFL, he could be a nice player.

That being said, the Cincinnati Bengals aren't a good team currently. I don't believe he could come in and rise the franchise out of the hole they are currently in.

Also, the best player in most peoples mind in this draft, is a homegrown kid for them.

He is a once generational type of talent and comes plays a position that the Bengals could upgrade.

Also, as of yesterday, a young, franchise QB became available.

Tell me the last time a 25 year old, former #1 overall High School Player, NFL #1 draft selected and led the NFL in passing yards the prior year, was available as a FA.

There isn't a doubt in mind that that Jameis WInston is the more talented player between himself and Burrow. Jameis has also already gone thru the bumps and bruises of being a young player in the NFL while only being 25 years old. These young, talented and proven (I know he throws a lot of ints) QB's don't become available very often.

If you look at Cincinnati, the offensive parts are there, now.

They will be getting back help on the Oline, the have very good weapons at the WR position and they have a very good, young RB.

Adding Jameis Winston and Chase Young to the Bengals would have 2 young stars that this franchise desperately needs and could build around.

Its my opinion that the Bengals should do everything they can to sign Jameis and draft Young .

I understand Jameis can not be some peoples cup of tea but again, young QB's like him don't become available very often.....especially when players like Young can also be had.

Thoughts?

I think you are overvaluing how good Winston really is. On a team better / more talented than the Bengals, TB went 28-42 with Winston starting. He had 119 turnovers in 72 games with an 86.9 QB rating. Sure, he threw for a lot of yardage last year . . . but he threw 30 interceptions and had 9 lost fumbles. You may not love Burrow, but you really shouldn't like Winston. Dalton has been better than Winston (67.5 career passer rating). Someone will probably give Winston a big contract, and you probably should be hoping it isn't CIN.

I am not a Cincy fan, jut a football fan.

I see Jameis has the pedigree that I look for.

He is still a young kid.

The package of him and Chase is the way to turn around the Bengals quickly...…..IMO

I think you are overvaluing how good Winston really is. On a team better / more talented than the Bengals, TB went 28-42 with Winston starting. He had 119 turnovers in 72 games with an 86.9 QB rating. Sure, he threw for a lot of yardage last year . . . but he threw 30 interceptions and had 9 lost fumbles. You may not love Burrow, but you really shouldn't like Winston. Dalton has been better than Winston (67.5 career passer rating). Someone will probably give Winston a big contract, and you probably should be hoping it isn't CIN.
I don't know how much more talented TB is than Cincy.

Cincy is very good at the skill positions.

I ask myself how good I think TB will be now with Brady and I keep saying around a .500 team.

I know Jameis has been a turnover machine and I get that but he has already had his introduction to the league. Cincy would be smart to look into this IMO

I ask myself how good I think TB will be now with Brady and I keep saying around a .500 team.

I know Jameis has been a turnover machine and I get that but he has already had his introduction to the league. Cincy would be smart to look into this IMO
Jamis is who he is, and that's not a winning qb.  He's a guy who will actively hurt your team.  When all the dust is settled he's going to be the player who's not starting, and for a very good reason.

I guess it depends on what they can get Winston for ($$$ wise) and if they want to settle for being mediocre. We don't know what Burrow will turn into, but we already know Winston hasn't looked great. I guess I should ask why you think Winston will stop turning over the football playing with the Bengals?

Jamis is who he is, and that's not a winning qb.  He's a guy who will actively hurt your team.  When all the dust is settled he's going to be the player who's not starting, and for a very good reason.
After winning a National Championship for undefeated Florist St Seminoles.....he went 6-10 on the previous years' worst NFL team. The next year Jameis went 9-7 and almost made the playoffs. The after 2 seasons where he missed time, he had a combined 6-16 2 year run followed by a 7-9 campaign this year.

Tom Brady in my eyes, is the best "winner" at the position I have ever seen.

He is coming off a 12 win season and I still don't think TB makes the playoffs with him next year.

What all this means is …….how good id TB?

I think CIncy could be a .500 next year with a bright future if the above plan was their approach.

I am just a fan, obviously not a NFL exec, but Chase Young is that good and again, not sold on Burrow.

I guess it depends on what they can get Winston for ($$$ wise) and if they want to settle for being mediocre. We don't know what Burrow will turn into, but we already know Winston hasn't looked great. I guess I should ask why you think Winston will stop turning over the football playing with the Bengals?
Peyton Manning had 83 ints in his 1st 4 years in the NFL.

I am not comparing the 2 but Jameis had 88 in his 1st 5 years.

I like a QB who isn't gun shy and pushes the ball down the field.

I understand you cant throw 30 ints in a season but the great ones aren't afraid.

I think Jameis is still in for a very good career and (again not a Cincy fan) but I think it would be a great place for him and a great move for the team.

I like a QB who isn't gun shy and pushes the ball down the field.

I understand you cant throw 30 ints in a season but the great ones aren't afraid.

I think Jameis is still in for a very good career and (again not a Cincy fan) but I think it would be a great place for him and a great move for the team.
You left the part out where the Colts went 13-3, 10-6, and 10-6 in the early going with Manning (first 5 years). I am probably the wrong one to give an opinion on Winston, as I really haven't seen him play all that much. Maybe he could turn into a better player with a QB whisperer as a mentor, but I am not sure who that person would be on the Bengals. But he certainly has earned a reputation as giving games away.

I can agree. I am not trying to act like WInston has reached his potential.....just that he has potential.

I think this is an opportunity for Cincy to get back into the AFC North playoff picture.

I am not a big Jameis fan, just think this makes too much sense for both parties.

I would think you could sign Jameis for cheap als due to not too many starting oppurtunities out there right now.

Again, remember he comes with Chase Young attached with the #1 overall pick also

I can agree. I am not trying to act like WInston has reached his potential.....just that he has potential.

I think this is an opportunity for Cincy to get back into the AFC North playoff picture.

I am not a big Jameis fan, just think this makes too much sense for both parties.

I would think you could sign Jameis for cheap als due to not too many starting oppurtunities out there right now.

Again, remember he comes with Chase Young attached with the #1 overall pick also
I watched Young several times. He didn't do much when I saw him (1 sack against Northwestern, 0 sacks against Wisconsin, 0 sacks against LSU . . . no forced fumbles in any of those games), but he was a beast in other games.

Call me crazy but I don’t think the Bengals are in that bad shape- especially if Burrow is a hit. 

If you were intent on getting cute, sign Jameis or Cam (if he is cut), trade back for a kings ransom. 
I agree.

You could get a lot for the #1...….but I think Young is the best player in the draft

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd honestly rather just stick with Dalton than sign Winston, in the highly unlikely scenario Burrow isn't the #1.

Now if Cinci can trade down and still get Tua or Herbert, and pick up a ton of draft capital in the process, I could see doing that. But it'd have to be a top-5 pick as well as another 1st and more. If Miami offered all 3 of their 1st rounders, I'd do that if I were the Bengals.

At receiver?  It's really not close. Even if Green were fully healthy. 

I don't disagree with drafting young. He's as close to a lock at a key position as we've seen lately. 

But Winston isn't going to win Cincy games.  If they had wanted to sign a young QB who could lead them, they'd have signed Mariota. 

Redskins fans would love nothing more than the Bengals to draft Chase, only because that 1.2 pick would be worth a fortune and we'd get an RG3 type trade in our favor. Make it happen Captain! 

After winning a National Championship for undefeated Florist St Seminoles.....he went 6-10 on the previous years' worst NFL team. The next year Jameis went 9-7 and almost made the playoffs. The after 2 seasons where he missed time, he had a combined 6-16 2 year run followed by a 7-9 campaign this year.

Tom Brady in my eyes, is the best "winner" at the position I have ever seen.

He is coming off a 12 win season and I still don't think TB makes the playoffs with him next year.

What all this means is …….how good id TB?

I think CIncy could be a .500 next year with a bright future if the above plan was their approach.

I am just a fan, obviously not a NFL exec, but Chase Young is that good and again, not sold on Burrow.
I'm all for a guy who's willing to push the ball down field and throw up a 50/50 shot because he believes in his players, but that's not Jamis.  Jamis throws ints directly at the defense from a clean pocket (I forget the exact number but over half his ints last season came from a clean pocket), then has to play hero ball to make up for his mistakes.  He's not a good qb.

I don't understand the love for cin either.  They were a winless team for how long last year?  Their coaching staff is only in place because the hc once breathed in a Sean mcvay fart.  As for the skill players - after a year away from football due to injury can we be sure Green will come back as good as he was?  Ross finally got going last season, only to get hurt just like he did his first and second season, so he's no where close to a gaurentee.  That leaves you with Boyd - who's better off as a no2, and Mixon - who the coaches froze out the first half the season.

The oline is trash and who's there on defense? Carlos Dunlap?  I don't see a .500 team.

I think signing Winston would be smart, but I'd still take Burrow.   The o line as mentioned above is Trash.   Let Winston take the beatings for a year, and maybe he plays halfway decent, you can parlay it into a draft pick.   But this team is not gonna turn around quickly.   I wouldn't even let Burrow see the field the first year.    After Burrow, it needs to meat and potato draft and take O Line

I think signing Winston would be smart, but I'd still take Burrow.   The o line as mentioned above is Trash.   Let Winston take the beatings for a year, and maybe he plays halfway decent, you can parlay it into a draft pick.   But this team is not gonna turn around quickly.   I wouldn't even let Burrow see the field the first year.    After Burrow, it needs to meat and potato draft and take O Line
So if I am reading this right, you would sign Winston AND draft Burrow? Do you think Winston would be fine taking a beating and getting replaced? Do you think Winston will either take a short-term deal or low dollars (if not both)?

I watched Cincy play a lot last year. They were good early on with Dalton and AWFUL when they switched to Finley.

The last few games, once Dalton was back at QB, the oline looked really good, the running game was very good and the wr's are far above avg (especially with a healthy Green).

Like I mentioned before, Green-Boyd-Ross and Mixon can all day compete IMO, with Evans-Godwin and Ronald Jones.

Make the smart move Cincy

Why would you rather have Jameis and his asking price than Burrow on a rookie contract?  Pretty easy no on the headache, turnover machine with a 10 cent head.

So in the shark mock I took burrow, and traded dalton/3rd to NE for Thuney/2021 5th. Not sure if I had the value right. It seemed like adding a solid veteran olineman would be better than bringing in a 3rd rounder. Thoughts?

So if I am reading this right, you would sign Winston AND draft Burrow? Do you think Winston would be fine taking a beating and getting replaced? Do you think Winston will either take a short-term deal or low dollars (if not both)?
Winston is already getting replaced, secondly, his options are very limited at this point.   Yeah sure, Winston has to agree to a deal, and if he wants 20 million, the answer is no.   But if you get rid of Dalton, you have 17 mil available.   Why not take a chance on a reclamation project, and parlay it into a draft pick.   Take advantage of the situation a la Belichics reclamations.   Save Burrow from the poor o line, and get ready for 2021 when Burrow is ready and the O line is much better.

I'd also trade AJ before the deadline.   This team ain't dojjng anything in 2020

The big thing everyone is forgetting about here is you are ALSO GETTING CHASE YOUNG! 

I am not saying Winston is great. I think is ready to help a team win now, more than Burrow AND DRAFT CHASE YOUNG

The big thing everyone is forgetting about here is you are ALSO GETTING CHASE YOUNG! 

I am not saying Winston is great. I think is ready to help a team win now, more than Burrow AND DRAFT CHASE YOUNG
The other big thing everyone is forgetting is Winston may think he deserves ~$30mil but that doesn't mean there is a market out there for him to get ~$30mil. He and Clowney and Gordon and Trent Williams may just decide that going the Lev Bell route and cutting off your nose to spite you face doesn't work when your entire working career may not be more than ~8 years of your life. 

Keep in mind CIN is bargaining from a position of strength with Winston right now. The conventional move for CIN is to just sit tight and draft the highest rated QB at pick #1. Nobody criticizes them for that. Nobody seems especially interested in Winston as their starter right now, if anything some teams are waiting for Cam to get released, so Winston will likely have to settle for backup money somewhere. CIN might be the only place Winston can actually be assured to get on the field to rehab his reputation. Winston needs CIN more than CIN needs Winston right now. If CIN can get a decent medium/long term deal at just above backup QB money I think your plan makes all the sense in the world. 

Winston is a bad fit for most teams. If you have a playoff-ish team you don't want a QB that has the potential to drag you below .500 but if you are CIN then everything is different. In CIN they need a QB that at least has the high ceiling if the coin drops. What if you sign Winston for backup money and he turns out to be a complete BUST in CIN? Then you have the first pick in the draft and take Trevor Lawrence. What you don't want is an "ok" to "good" QB that helps you to get just under .500 imo. 

Why would you rather have Jameis and his asking price than Burrow on a rookie contract?  Pretty easy no on the headache, turnover machine with a 10 cent head.
I'm curious, who do you think WILL give Winston his asking price? I'm not saying who "should", but who will? Because that's the team CIN would be bidding against for his services.

If you're not playing burrow year one, just  draft tua.  You might even be able to trade down.

I'm curious, who do you think WILL give Winston his asking price? I'm not saying who "should", but who will? Because that's the team CIN would be bidding against for his services.
:2cents:  chargers. Maybe jaguars. Maybe not at his asking price (what does he expect?) But those are the teams I can see going after him. 

One interesting idea floating out there is the Steelers (clearly as the backup). 

:2cents:  chargers. Maybe jaguars. Maybe not at his asking price (what does he expect?) But those are the teams I can see going after him. 

One interesting idea floating out there is the Steelers (clearly as the backup). 
I strongly disagree with Chargers. Supposedly Lynn was fed up with the TO's by Rivers and that was one reason they had no interest in bringing him back.

Jags, maybe. I think they are in a CIN/MIA situation where they need a QB that at least has the potential to carry a team.... and if it doesn't work they just get another high pick to draft the next "can't miss" QB. You would think JAX is looking for some sort of stability but I don't think they will have that until Marrone leaves. They are taking a $19mil cap hit for Foles NOT to play for them so I don't think they'll be investing much into Winston if they went that direction.

I strongly disagree with PIT as well. For one, I don't think Ben's precious ego could take it but even more importantly PIT is in salary cap hell right now just trying to scrape out enough salary cap space to keep Bud Dupree around. 

Not sure Winston is an upgrade over Minshew as a player. When you throw in the financial difference it would make zero sense.

I strongly disagree with Chargers. Supposedly Lynn was fed up with the TO's by Rivers and that was one reason they had no interest in bringing him back.

Jags, maybe. I think they are in a CIN/MIA situation where they need a QB that at least has the potential to carry a team.... and if it doesn't work they just get another high pick to draft the next "can't miss" QB. You would think JAX is looking for some sort of stability but I don't think they will have that until Marrone leaves. They are taking a $19mil cap hit for Foles NOT to play for them so I don't think they'll be investing much into Winston if they went that direction.

I strongly disagree with PIT as well. For one, I don't think Ben's precious ego could take it but even more importantly PIT is in salary cap hell right now just trying to scrape out enough salary cap space to keep Bud Dupree around. 
Good point on the cap space, Pittsburgh wasn't my thought anyway (although they clearly need a better backup)

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/five-teams-that-could-take-the-jameis-winston-risk-in-nfl-free-agency/

Not sure Winston is an upgrade over any starting QB, enough to pay him $30M anyway. But I'm not totally sold on minshaw. 
I am with you on Minshew, but he appears to have more of the “winner” gene than Jameis. If Gardner can improve (which he seems to have the right attitude and work ethic) I think he has decent chance to be the long term answer in Jacksonville. And if you can build around a QB on his rookie contract you have a shot at making a run.

I am with you on Minshew, but he appears to have more of the “winner” gene than Jameis. If Gardner can improve (which he seems to have the right attitude and work ethic) I think he has decent chance to be the long term answer in Jacksonville. And if you can build around a QB on his rookie contract you have a shot at making a run.
Just stop!

Minshew is more of a winner than Jameis? Jameis won a college football title. Jameis improved the 2-14 Bucs to 6-10 in year 1 and 9-7 in year 2. True he had an injured and bad off field years issues in years 3 and 4 but year 5 led the league in passing yards, threw 30 tds and had a 7-9 record (i know he had 30 ints also). There is no comparison between his talent and Gardner Minshew. 

Look, I am looking to bring Jameis in on a 15-17 million dollar deal for 3 years (with bonus options). I would not break the bank for him. If I am Cincinnati, i try to get a 2 for 1 deal by getting Winston and Young this year.

Jameis can take it and start and have a chance to get paid again at 28 years old or he can get pushed into the backup role and see how that works out.

Cincy needs to think outside the box. If they take Burrow, they will be picking in the top 5 again for the next 5 years.

With Jameis and Young, their future is much brighter.

twood said:

Let's compare.  Jameis has played in 72 games.  After the same 72 games for Peyton, here is how they stack up:

Completions/Attempts/% - Jameis (1563/2548/61.3%)  Peyton (1564/2534/61.7%)   I know completion percentages have risen in recent years, but boy are they close.

Yards/TD/INT - Jameis (19737/121/88)  Peyton (18546/125/92)   Very even in both TD and INT, but Jameis has a large advantage in yardage.  1191 more yards on only 14 more pass attempts.

OL pass blocking rating (based on football outsiders) - Jameis (high 14/low 22/average 17)  Peyton (high 1/low 7/average 3)   Peyton had a huge advantage from the start.  His line ranked either 1st or 2nd for four of his first five seasons.

Win/loss record - Jameis (28-42)  Peyton (36-36)   The numbers look closer than I think they really are.  I think it's a sizable advantage for Peyton.

Let's not forget the running games for each of the QB's.  Peyton's rookie season he had 25 yr old Marshall Faulk, then he "settled" for Edgerrin James for the next 4 seasons.  Jameis had the pleasure of Doug Martin for his rookie season, then it went downhill.  JAG's Jacquizz Rodgers, Peyton Barber, and Ronald Jones have led the team over the last 4 seasons.

If you put Jameis behind an OL like Peyton started with, and with the RB's he had, is it hard to think he would've had a better record than Peyton after 72 games?

twood said:
Just stop!

Minshew is more of a winner than Jameis? Jameis won a college football title. Jameis improved the 2-14 Bucs to 6-10 in year 1 and 9-7 in year 2. True he had an injured and bad off field years issues in years 3 and 4 but year 5 led the league in passing yards, threw 30 tds and had a 7-9 record (i know he had 30 ints also). There is no comparison between his talent and Gardner Minshew. 

Look, I am looking to bring Jameis in on a 15-17 million dollar deal for 3 years (with bonus options). I would not break the bank for him. If I am Cincinnati, i try to get a 2 for 1 deal by getting Winston and Young this year.

Jameis can take it and start and have a chance to get paid again at 28 years old or he can get pushed into the backup role and see how that works out.

Cincy needs to think outside the box. If they take Burrow, they will be picking in the top 5 again for the next 5 years.

With Jameis and Young, their future is much brighter.
Tebow was a winner in college as well (same with numerous other quarterbacks).  I like what I saw out of Minshew last year and think he can improve upon it. Jameis has more talent but I don't have a lot of optimism that he becomes less turnover prone. Great for fantasy but the kind of guy that will get coaches fired. Love the idea for Cincy as they need more pieces (sign Winston, add a ton of talent by trading 1.01). Jacksonville IMO would be better off riding Minshews rookie contract and seeing if they can build around him. 

I am not saying Minshew is more talented than Winston, but Winston is not a clear-cut fit for every organization (and so far the rest of the NFL seems to agree with me). Arians certainly couldn't wait to replace him. 

*Also rumors stating that Winston is looking for $30/year. No way at that rate. Sure if you can get him to sign at a $15 clip it makes sense but I doubt that would happen. 

Let's compare.  Jameis has played in 72 games.  After the same 72 games for Peyton, here is how they stack up:

Completions/Attempts/% - Jameis (1563/2548/61.3%)  Peyton (1564/2534/61.7%)   I know completion percentages have risen in recent years, but boy are they close.

Yards/TD/INT - Jameis (19737/121/88)  Peyton (18546/125/92)   Very even in both TD and INT, but Jameis has a large advantage in yardage.  1191 more yards on only 14 more pass attempts.

OL pass blocking rating (based on football outsiders) - Jameis (high 14/low 22/average 17)  Peyton (high 1/low 7/average 3)   Peyton had a huge advantage from the start.  His line ranked either 1st or 2nd for four of his first five seasons.

Win/loss record - Jameis (28-42)  Peyton (36-36)   The numbers look closer than I think they really are.  I think it's a sizable advantage for Peyton.

Let's not forget the running games for each of the QB's.  Peyton's rookie season he had 25 yr old Marshall Faulk, then he "settled" for Edgerrin James for the next 4 seasons.  Jameis had the pleasure of Doug Martin for his rookie season, then it went downhill.  JAG's Jacquizz Rodgers, Peyton Barber, and Ronald Jones have led the team over the last 4 seasons.

If you put Jameis behind an OL like Peyton started with, and with the RB's he had, is it hard to think he would've had a better record than Peyton after 72 games?
Sure, the numbers may be similar but IMO the interpretation is wrong. You really can't compare numbers from different eras. You need to compare relative performance among peers and then compare the other player among his peers. Manning ranked in the Top 10 in 4 of his first 5 seasons including 2 in the Top 5. Winston has not ranked in the Top 10 in any season in passer rating and is ranked 21st among active QB's. For the all the gaudy numbers he put up last year, his passer rating was 26th in the league. He ranked 26th and 22nd the two seasons before that after starting off with rankings of 11th and 14th. So while his totals have gone up, his productivity and efficiency have gone down . . . to the point where he was close to being Bottom 5 as a starting QB. So sure, on the surface, his totals are similar to Peyton's first 5 year totals . . . but compared to QB's in 2020, Winston is way closer to the bottom than the top in QB performance.

Sure, the numbers may be similar but IMO the interpretation is wrong. You really can't compare numbers from different eras. You need to compare relative performance among peers and then compare the other player among his peers. Manning ranked in the Top 10 in 4 of his first 5 seasons including 2 in the Top 5. Winston has not ranked in the Top 10 in any season in passer rating and is ranked 21st among active QB's. For the all the gaudy numbers he put up last year, his passer rating was 26th in the league. He ranked 26th and 22nd the two seasons before that after starting off with rankings of 11th and 14th. So while his totals have gone up, his productivity and efficiency have gone down . . . to the point where he was close to being Bottom 5 as a starting QB. So sure, on the surface, his totals are similar to Peyton's first 5 year totals . . . but compared to QB's in 2020, Winston is way closer to the bottom than the top in QB performance.
Sure you can.  Win/loss record, OL ranking, and quality of RB's are not era-specific.  I was just pointing out that Peyton was set up for success a helluva lot better than Jameis.

twood said:
1st, I will start this off by saying, I am not a huge Joe Burrow fan.

I think he had one of, if not the best, college seasons a college QB has ever had. He had a great team around him and he took full advantage of it.

I think he is a great kid and I have nothing personal against him, but I am just not sold on him in the NFL.

He wasn't a huge recruit coming out of high school and couldn't beat out the QB's at Ohio St.

If he goes to a good team in the NFL, he could be a nice player.

That being said, the Cincinnati Bengals aren't a good team currently. I don't believe he could come in and rise the franchise out of the hole they are currently in.

Also, the best player in most peoples mind in this draft, is a homegrown kid for them.

He is a once generational type of talent and comes plays a position that the Bengals could upgrade.

Also, as of yesterday, a young, franchise QB became available.

Tell me the last time a 25 year old, former #1 overall High School Player, NFL #1 draft selected and led the NFL in passing yards the prior year, was available as a FA.

There isn't a doubt in mind that that Jameis WInston is the more talented player between himself and Burrow. Jameis has also already gone thru the bumps and bruises of being a young player in the NFL while only being 25 years old. These young, talented and proven (I know he throws a lot of ints) QB's don't become available very often.

If you look at Cincinnati, the offensive parts are there, now.

They will be getting back help on the Oline, the have very good weapons at the WR position and they have a very good, young RB.

Adding Jameis Winston and Chase Young to the Bengals would have 2 young stars that this franchise desperately needs and could build around.

Its my opinion that the Bengals should do everything they can to sign Jameis and draft Young .

I understand Jameis can not be some peoples cup of tea but again, young QB's like him don't become available very often.....especially when players like Young can also be had.

Thoughts?
There is a reason why Winston is available.  He's a below-average NFL QB that turns the ball over way too much.  You sign Winston, you're destined to win 5-8 games yearly with no hope of the playoffs.  Because Winston gives the opposition an average of 7 points a game off of turnovers.  In the NFL that is way too much of an edge to give.  Sure WInston has talent.  But it comes down to maximizing that talent when it matters the most.  Winston has failed to do that.   Protecting the ball matters so much in the NFL.  

A lot of QBs can throw for 5000 yards if you allow them to throw the ball over 600 times, have no running game, and give them Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Brashad Perriman and OJ Howard to throw the ball to.

Now I agree with you that Burrow is slightly overrated.  He's definitely not the prospect that Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck were.  But I would rather take the chance that I can coach Burrow up to be a solid NFL QB like a Matt Ryan.

There is a reason why Winston is available.  He's a below-average NFL QB that turns the ball over way too much.  You sign Winston, you're destined to win 5-8 games yearly with no hope of the playoffs.  Because Winston gives the opposition an average of 7 points a game off of turnovers.  In the NFL that is way too much of an edge to give.  Sure WInston has talent.  But it comes down to maximizing that talent when it matters the most.  Winston has failed to do that.   Protecting the ball matters so much in the NFL.  

A lot of QBs can throw for 5000 yards if you allow them to throw the ball over 600 times, have no running game, and give them Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Brashad Perriman and OJ Howard to throw the ball to.

Now I agree with you that Burrow is slightly overrated.  He's definitely not the prospect that Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck were.  But I would rather take the chance that I can coach Burrow up to be a solid NFL QB like a Matt Ryan.
Remember Jameis's age, only 26 (not 25 like previously stated). Alot of qbs take a few years to adjust to the speed of the NFL. Give Jameis a good running game and a less aggressive coach (Ariens might bot have been great for him) and i definetly see jim improving.

The big thing people are forgetting and i keep stressing is I am not saying this is a Jameis vs Burrow thing............

The Bengals do this so they can draft Chase Young. Chase Young plus Jameis makes the Bengals more competitive this year and the following.

BoltBacker said:
I don't think anyone is going to give him what he wants.

Users who are viewing this thread