What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Kung Flu" offensive phrase- oboy, here we go! (1 Viewer)

Kung Flu is a frat boy joke.  About an epidemic that may kill millions.  It is highly offensive.  It's insensitive.  I feel that it undermines the seriousness of it.  

I thought Trump handled himself very well up until the Kung Flu question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kung Flu is a frat boy joke.  About an epidemic that may kill millions.  It is highly offensive.  It's insensitive.  I feel that it undermines the seriousness of it.  

I thought Trump handled himself very well up until the Kung Flu question.
You can tell he wanted to laugh at it but questioned the validity of it instead...

I agree that if you're going to level the accusation, you should state who it was who said it.
Yes agree here also.  As bad as people saying they want to tell about the bad things they seen/heard but won't do it unless forced to by the courts or can profit from it from a book...

I just heard a kid say that before school was canceled, saying anything similar to Chinese virus or anything blaming Chinese people for what's happening was an instant double detention.

It’s just so awful and pathetic when we need leadership and empathy and an understanding of our country’s values.
Where the past 25 years were prelude, we're living through the climax of Gremlins movie.

ETA: Changed "peelude" to "prelude."

Calling it the Wet Market Flu would actually be more accurate, and appease the PC crowd, just as long as we can still hold China accountable. 

I was more offended by the fact that Jackie Chan taught Jaden Smith kung fu, but they freaking called the movie Karate Kid.

Okay, since everyone is getting triggered by calling it "The Chinese Flu", "Chinese Virus" or "Kung-Flu" then we need to take immediate and decisive action on other words/phrases.  Just off the top of my head:

• Chinese Food
  • Chinese Checkers
  • Chinese Finger Trap (aka "Chinese Handcuffs")
Anyone got anything else we should ban and/or rename?

Okay, since everyone is getting triggered by calling it "The Chinese Flu", "Chinese Virus" or "Kung-Flu" then we need to take immediate and decisive action on other words/phrases.  Just off the top of my head:

• Chinese Food
  • Chinese Checkers
  • Chinese Finger Trap (aka "Chinese Handcuffs")
Anyone got anything else we should ban and/or rename?
Asian Flu

Russian Flu

Japanese Smallpox

bigbottom said:
I agree that if you're going to level the accusation, you should state who it was who said it.
Jiang is claiming she doesn’t know the person’s name.  I’m beginning to think she made it up.

Apple Jack said:
Seriously. This is the Trump administration. We should be used to it by now. Normalize people.
Why are people being so late to this? Seems selfish not just to believe what Trump tells us.

Kung Flu.....out of line

Chinese virus.....no issues from me. No different than the German Measles or the Spanish Flu. 

Chinese virus.....no issues from me. No different than the German Measles or the Spanish Flu. 
The issue that I have with it is that it already has/had a universally recognizable name. So, Trumo renaming it the "Chinese Flu" is just more of the same his petty political trick of giving nicknames to what he views are his opponents. It's childish in context. 

But, yeah, Maurile's article has a point, too. Here I am typing about this when I should be focused on the poor response from the administration. 

The issue that I have with it is that it already has/had a universally recognizable name. So, Trumo renaming it the "Chinese Flu" is just more of the same his petty political trick of giving nicknames to what he views are his opponents. It's childish in context. 

But, yeah, Maurile's article has a point, too. Here I am typing about this when I should be focused on the poor response from the administration. 
I actually think its warranted this time if the Chinese government in fact is trying to blame a US soldier for bringing it there. Its not a hill I care to die upon, but it doesnt bother me that he calls it that. 

I actually think its warranted this time if the Chinese government in fact is trying to blame a US soldier for bringing it there. Its not a hill I care to die upon, but it doesnt bother me that he calls it that. 
I'd rather us not act like 5 year olds. If the Chinese wants to baselessly assign blame, then directly state they're wrong. 

I'd rather us not act like 5 year olds. If the Chinese wants to baselessly assign blame, then directly state they're wrong. 
Yes...and not take prepared remarks...sharpie out the proper name and write in chinese.

Also...the memes I keep seeing about if we don't call it that, we shouldn't call it chinese food may be the dumbest things I have read in a while.

While there are obviously bigger things to worry about...it still shouldn't be done.  LIkely done so people do complain about it...so Trump can play the victim and distract from the other horrendous things going on.

Yes...and not take prepared remarks...sharpie out the proper name and write in chinese.

Also...the memes I keep seeing about if we don't call it that, we shouldn't call it chinese food may be the dumbest things I have read in a while.

While there are obviously bigger things to worry about...it still shouldn't be done.  LIkely done so people do complain about it...so Trump can play the victim and distract from the other horrendous things going on.
:lmao:

It hilarious how some people think Trump isnt smart enough to tie his shoes yet has the mental capacity to to conjure up something like this. 

:lmao:

It hilarious how some people think Trump isnt smart enough to tie his shoes yet has the mental capacity to to conjure up something like this. 
He isn't smart in any great number of areas...but he is a skilled marketing man and con man...able to troll people and distract.  That much is pretty obvious.

Why else do you think he is really doing it?  Do you honestly think its anything more than getting a reaction out of people?

It's a gullibility test. Don't fail the test.
My favorite paragraph...

Controversies like these are a perfect example of what Steve Bannon, Trump’s former campaign manager, called “flooding the zone with ####”—distracting us from what matters with copious flushes of what doesn’t. And raw sewage is this president’s natural habitat, the medium in which he fights most effectively. His opponents are willingly lured into the sewers.

Spain has it the worse.  They got nailed with the Spanish Flu and the first reported case of it was out of Kansas.  Most experts say that it definitely did not start in Spain.

False.  He is just speaking the truth.  In fact, wasn't the FFA thread titled Wuhan Coronavirus?  Which one of you complained to Joe to get that changed?  
The truth is it has an official name...one that even appears on his notes...that the entire world is using.  And its not "chinese virus".  If he called it Wuhan Coronavirus...that would also be more acceptable than "chinese virus".

No...this doesn't affect calling things chinese food....a ludicrous assertion.

False.  He is just speaking the truth.  In fact, wasn't the FFA thread titled Wuhan Coronavirus?  Which one of you complained to Joe to get that changed?  
When had it ever been called the “Chinese virus”? He is going out of his way to call it this for political reasons. It’s too stupid to even waste time on, it’s petty, it’s well...Trump.

I know they called it Chinese virus and Wuhan virus.  
Again I would ask in what context? But to move past that lets just say everyone on CNN called it Chinese virus at some point when referring to it.

Why is it important for Trump now to change in his notes to call it “Chinese” virus? Why would that be important. 

The article is about CNN only and I saw no mention of MSNBC (don't have time to watch video, awaiting task force briefing). 

CNN blasted for now declaring 'Wuhan virus' as 'racist' after weeks of network's 'China's coronavirus' coverage

CNN appeared to take the position this week that describing the coronavirus as the "Wuhan virus" or the "Chinese coronavirus" is racist but had a much different tone before the outbreak hit the U.S.

On Wednesday night, CNN chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta was extremely critical of President Trump's Oval Office address on the coronavirus outbreak, but not because of the factual errors the White House had to clarify later that many critics flagged.

“The president referred to the coronavirus as a ‘foreign virus,’ that I think was interesting because, I was talking to sources earlier this evening, one of the points that the president wanted to make tonight, wanted to get across to Americans, is that this virus did not start here, but that they’re dealing it,” Acosta said. “Now, why the president would go as far to describe it as a foreign virus, that is something we’ll also be asking questions about.”

Acosta then insisted Trump is "going to come across to a lot of Americans as smacking of xenophobia" too because he said the coronavirus came from a foreign source.

CNN is just like the democratic party. Never gets anything right and whatever stance they take blows up in their face.

Users who are viewing this thread