What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Kung Flu" offensive phrase- oboy, here we go! (1 Viewer)

Again I would ask in what context? But to move past that lets just say everyone on CNN called it Chinese virus at some point when referring to it.

Why is it important for Trump now to change in his notes to call it “Chinese” virus? Why would that be important. 
You guys are taking about the stupidest things.

The article is about CNN only and I saw no mention of MSNBC (don't have time to watch video, awaiting task force briefing). 

CNN blasted for now declaring 'Wuhan virus' as 'racist' after weeks of network's 'China's coronavirus' coverage

CNN appeared to take the position this week that describing the coronavirus as the "Wuhan virus" or the "Chinese coronavirus" is racist but had a much different tone before the outbreak hit the U.S.

On Wednesday night, CNN chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta was extremely critical of President Trump's Oval Office address on the coronavirus outbreak, but not because of the factual errors the White House had to clarify later that many critics flagged.

“The president referred to the coronavirus as a ‘foreign virus,’ that I think was interesting because, I was talking to sources earlier this evening, one of the points that the president wanted to make tonight, wanted to get across to Americans, is that this virus did not start here, but that they’re dealing it,” Acosta said. “Now, why the president would go as far to describe it as a foreign virus, that is something we’ll also be asking questions about.”

Acosta then insisted Trump is "going to come across to a lot of Americans as smacking of xenophobia" too because he said the coronavirus came from a foreign source.
OMG, I am having trouble following this.  We have now wasting time arguing about the term this is called by?  Makes no sense to me.  Only in America.  This is why I think we are doomed in November.

OMG, I am having trouble following this.  We have now wasting time arguing about the term this is called by?  Makes no sense to me.  Only in America.  This is why I think we are doomed in November.
That's not really what it's about, but yeah folks have a little more time on their hands these days.

Yeah it isn't happening 
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/us/coronavirus-asian-americans-attacks.html

Spit On, Yelled At, Attacked: Chinese-Americans Fear for Their Safety

As bigots blame them for the coronavirus and President Trump labels it the “Chinese virus,” many Chinese-Americans say they are terrified of what could come next.

WASHINGTON — Yuanyuan Zhu was walking to her gym in San Francisco on March 9, thinking the workout could be her last for a while, when she noticed that a man was shouting at her. He was yelling an expletive about China. Then a bus passed, she recalled, and he screamed after it, “Run them over.”

She tried to keep her distance, but when the light changed, she was stuck waiting with him at the crosswalk. She could feel him staring at her. And then, suddenly, she felt it: his saliva hitting her face and her favorite sweater.

In shock, Ms. Zhu, who is 26 and moved to the United States from China five years ago, hurried the rest of the way to the gym. She found a corner where no one could see her, and she cried quietly.

“That person didn’t look strange or angry or anything, you know?” she said of her tormentor. “He just looked like a normal person.”

As the coronavirus upends American life, Chinese-Americans face a double threat. Not only are they grappling like everyone else with how to avoid the virus itself, they are also contending with growing racism in the form of verbal and physical attacks. Other Asian-Americans — with families from Korea, Vietnam, the Philippines, Myanmar and other places — are facing threats, too, lumped together with Chinese-Americans by a bigotry that does not know the difference.

In interviews over the past week, nearly two dozen Asian-Americans across the country said they were afraid — to go grocery shopping, to travel alone on subways or buses, to let their children go outside. Many described being yelled at in public — a sudden spasm of hate that is reminiscent of the kind faced by Muslim-Americans after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

But unlike 2001, when President George W. Bush urged tolerance of Muslim-Americans, this time President Trump is using language that Asian-Americans say is inciting racist attacks.

Mr. Trump and his Republican allies are intent on calling the coronavirus “the Chinese virus,” rejecting the World Health Organization’s guidance against using geographic locations when naming illnesses, since past names have provoked a backlash.

Mr. Trump told reporters on Tuesday that he was calling the virus “Chinese” to combat a disinformation campaign by Beijing officials saying the American military was the source of the outbreak. He dismissed concerns that his language would lead to any harm.

“If they keep using these terms, the kids are going to pick it up,” said Tony Du, an epidemiologist in Howard County, Md., who fears for his son, Larry. “They are going to call my 8-year-old son a Chinese virus. It’s serious.”

Mr. Du said he posted on Facebook that “this is the darkest day in my 20-plus years of life in the United States,” referring to Mr. Trump’s doubling down on use of the term.

While no firm numbers exist yet, Asian-American advocacy groups and researchers say there has been a surge of verbal and physical assaults reported in newspapers and to tip lines.

San Francisco State University found a 50 percent rise in the number of news articles related to the coronavirus and anti-Asian discrimination between Feb. 9 and March 7. The lead researcher, Russell Jeung, a professor of Asian-American studies, said the figures represented “just the tip of the iceberg,” because only the most egregious cases would be likely to be reported by the media.

Mr. Jeung has helped set up a website in six Asian languages, to gather firsthand accounts; some 150 cases have been reported on the site since it was started last Thursday.

Benny Luo, founder and chief executive of NextShark, a website focused on Asian-American news, said the site used to get a few tips a day. Now it is dozens. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you please stop with the "liar" nonsense?  Everything is so over the top with you.  Relax.  

Let me rephrase, just like normal there are idiots out there but nothing out of the ordinary to fuss about.
Unless you are of Asian ancestry. 

Yeah it isn't happening 

Would you please stop with the "liar" nonsense?  Everything is so over the top with you.  Relax.  

Let me rephrase, just like normal there are idiots out there but nothing out of the ordinary to fuss about.
Its not over the top...you made a claim that this stuff was not happening...I quoted it above.  So i ask you...do you think these people are lying...or do you admit those things are, in fact, happening?

I think it is out of the ordinary actually and should be fussed about and our POTUS should not be using such rhetoric to fan the flames.

Read @Tom Skerritt's link.  Are you suggesting these are "nothing out of the ordinary to fuss about"?

On 10 March 2020, a Korean woman in Midtown Manhattan, New York City, was confronted on the street by somebody yelling "Where is your corona mask, you Asian #####?" before punching the woman, dislocating her jaw.[176] Later in the week, in Forest Hills, Queens, New York City, an Asian man walking with his 10-year-old son was harassed by a person yelling, "Where the #### is your mask? You ####### Chinese" before being hit over the head.[177] Another incident occurred on 16 March where a woman in Midtown Manhattan was spat upon, and had her hair pulled out by a woman who blamed her for coronavirus.[178]

In the New York City Subway, a woman wearing a face mask was punched and kicked by a man who called her "diseased".[179] Numerous other incidences of harassment of Asians on the New York City Subway followed, including one in which a person was seen spraying an Asian man with an unknown substance;[180][181] another involving a man harassing an Asian couple wearing masks before the couple was chaperoned to safety;[182] and one in which a woman was confronted by a man saying, "You're Chinese, why did you bring corona to America?".[183]

In a Philadelphia SEPTA subway station, an Asian couple was surrounded by a group and attacked.[184] Harassment and attacks on Asians have included a reporter for the Philadelphia Inquirer who was verbally harassed several times.[185]

Chinatown in Houston faced a drop in customers after people falsely and maliciously spread rumors online of an outbreak of the coronavirus.[186] Restaurants in Chinatown in Boston have also lost customers due to fears of coronavirus.[187] The government of New York City cited a report which estimated a 40 percent sales drop for Chinese businesses in Flushing, Queens, while other reports suggested the drop ranged from 30 to 80 percent.[188][189]

In Los Angeles, a Thai-American woman on the Los Angeles subway captured footage of a man screaming racist comments and expletives about coronavirus.[106] On 13 February 2020, Los Angeles authorities spoke out against a number of bullying incidents and assaults against the Asian-American community, including a middle-schooler being beaten and hospitalized.[190] A 16-year-old boy in San Fernando Valley was physically attacked by bullies in his high school who accused him of having the coronavirus because he is Asian-American. [191] Robin Toma of the L.A. County Human Relations Commission stated, "Many may be quick to assume that just because someone is Asian or from China that somehow they are more likely to be carriers of the virus. We need to speak out against this when we see it. We need to speak up, not be bystanders, be upstanders."[191] Other forms of harassment in Los Angeles included fake World Health Organization (WHO) flyers advising people to avoid Asian-American restaurants.[192]

Two Hmong men were rejected from two hotels in Indiana due to being perceived to have the coronavirus by the hotel staff.[193]

40,000 people signed a petition to expel two students from Bolsa Grande High School after they were seen in videos bullying Vietnamese-American students. Garden Grove Unified School District's public information officer responded by saying the students will face "disciplinary action in accordance with the California Education Code."[194]

Former presidential candidate Andrew Yang spoke of an uptick in anti-Asian racism surrounding the coronavirus.[195] Several lawmakers, including multiple members of Congress, denounced xenophobia related to the coronavirus in a press conference, and said that Asian-American businesses across the country, from grocery stores to nail salons and restaurants, had been forced into financial crises due to a reduction in customers.[196]

In Brooklyn, New York, a social media post was sent from the office of New York State Assemblymember Mathylde Frontus urging citizens to avoid Chinese businesses. Frontus apologized for the message, blaming the incident on a part-time office assistant sharing a chain email; the staff worker was fired and the rest of the staff was ordered to complete cultural sensitivity training.[197][198] The apology by the Assemblymember triggered Brooklyn Community Board 13 member Ronald X. Stewart to post a xenophobic anti-Chinese rant, also targeted to Chinese-Americans, on social media expressing dismay that the Assemblymember had to make an apology. That community board member was given notice by Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams that his reappointment to the community board would not be renewed.[197]

Geebus, you can find anecdotal evidence of anything if you whip out the microscope and look for it. The people who are suddenly bullying people who look Asian are the people who are awful human beings all the time. They just have a new target to their bullying. Well-intentioned, kind-hearted people who have treated others with respect their entire lives aren't magically transforming personalities and spitting on Asians. It's the people who will spit at and heckle the next segment of the population deemed responsible for the next strain on society. Newsflash, some people are awful. It's not a reflection on any other race or segment of the species.

Geebus, you can find anecdotal evidence of anything if you whip out the microscope and look for it. The people who are suddenly bullying people who look Asian are the people who are awful human beings all the time. They just have a new target to their bullying. Well-intentioned, kind-hearted people who have treated others with respect their entire lives aren't magically transforming personalities and spitting on Asians. It's the people who will spit at and heckle the next segment of the population deemed responsible for the next strain on society. Newsflash, some people are awful. It's not a reflection on any other race or segment of the species.
Do you believe President Trump is playing this card on purpose? 

Anyone who knows the history of anti-Semitism is uncomfortable with this topic, as Jews were blamed for most of the plagues of Europe during the Middle Ages. The Spanish Flu was often called "The Jewish Flu" in Germany, and the Nazis simplified the connection by referring to Jews themselves as a virus. 

Do you believe President Trump is playing this card on purpose? 
Yes. I believe he's calling it the China virus to both try and show everyone who is to blame and also to elicit a media response that will backfire on them as it always does. The above discussion about increased bullying of Asians and assigning the responsibility to Trump for it, is an example of how the media tries to stir outrage that winds up only being directed at the media itself.

No I do not endorse what Trump is doing. But it's obvious why he does it. And it keeps working for him.

And let's say that there are 100 anecdotes of xenophobic bullying of Asians. How many bullies out of 100 would you suspect are Trump supporters?

Sure. But lets not claim it isnt happening as some have...and lets not defend awful rhetoric out of OOTUS that may be contributing to such things.

Yes, there are cases of it happening but nothing out of the ordinary.  Folks are also getting attacked for wearing MAGA hats.  There are crazies everywhere.
Let me know when someone defends rhetoric leading to attacking anyone with a maga hat.  Because that isn't happening.

Also, thats a terrible deflection from what you first said...just own up and admit its happening rather than spinning to the maga victim stuff.

Did the virus start in China yes or no?
He isnt saying that...if he saod Covid19 or CoronaVirus that originated in China...nit a bog problem.

Stating facts would be calling it by the official name he crosses out in sharpie.

Its not a difficult concept.

They are very similar and it is very telling that you don't see it.
Because leaders aren't out fanning the flames like Trump is...thats the point man.

And its a deflection here because you cant just admit Trumps err in this.

Seems like you are having a difficult time with this.  Probably better for you to focus on other things.
No...Im pretty much spot on with my analysis of the situation and your deflection and inability to admit Trumps flaws.

I am very good at identifying Trump's flaws but this isn't one of them.  I do spot the flaws in your analysis and have corrected them.  I will leave it at that.
Yet you constantly defend even his most simple errors that it would be easy to say...yeah, that is dumb of him.

Ill take the words of Fauci and others who refuse to call it what Trump does and continue to encourage him to stop.

Yet you constantly defend even his most simple errors that it would be easy to say...yeah, that is dumb of him.

Ill take the words of Fauci and others who refuse to call it what Trump does and continue to encourage him to stop.
https://twitter.com/KaivanShroff/status/1242053513540231169

Dr. Fauci unloads on Trump, says he would never call Coronavirus the “Chinese virus.” “Things are being said that aren’t true and aren’t factual...I can’t jump in front of the microphone and push [Trump] down.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/23/coronavirus-trump-anthony-fauci/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Please send me the link to your outrage (or even a slight comment) when the media routinely referred to it as the Wuhan Virus. 

I wont hold my breathe. 
After it had a real name?  Did they cross out the real name in their notes as Trump has?  Are they the leader of the country spreading such things? And did they continue to do so?
Poor false equivalence there especially given how that all changed, right?

https://twitter.com/KaivanShroff/status/1242053513540231169

Dr. Fauci unloads on Trump, says he would never call Coronavirus the “Chinese virus.” “Things are being said that aren’t true and aren’t factual...I can’t jump in front of the microphone and push [Trump] down.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/23/coronavirus-trump-anthony-fauci/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook
If I'm going to trust one of those 2 to actually know what they are talking about, the answer should be obvious.

After it had a real name?  Did they cross out the real name in their notes as Trump has?  Are they the leader of the country spreading such things? And did they continue to do so?
Poor false equivalence there especially given how that all changed, right?
Oh, is that how racism works? Its not racist if we dont have another name. Once we have another name, how dare he. 

And enough of this tired defense. You called out people in this very thread about not  being able to admit when the president does/says something stupid or wrong....yet you refuse to call out the media it seems. As long as they are on your side, its cool. 

For the record, I dont care when CNN, MSNBC, etc stopped calling it the Wuhan Virus. It wasnt racist then and it isnt racist now. 

Im referring to the double standard, Trump Derangement Syndrome. 

Oh, is that how racism works? Its not racist if we dont have another name. Once we have another name, how dare he. 

And enough of this tired defense. You called out people in this very thread about not  being able to admit when the president does/says something stupid or wrong....yet you refuse to call out the media it seems. As long as they are on your side, its cool. 
Sure. Its how “outrage” works.  Amd I supposed to be outraged today that the media isnt calling something anymore?  Or be rightfully critical of POTUS still doing ot against the recommendation of his advisors?

The tired defense is spinning this right now as anything other than Trump being in the wrong.  Worrying about what the media did probably a month ago vs what Trump still does daily.

There is no double standard...thats the point...but yeah...call it derangement...classy.

I'm going grocery shopping today for someone who no longer feels safe at the store because of this stuff. While I'm there I will keep MAGA hat wearers, the real victims, in my heart.

Sure. Its how “outrage” works.  Amd I supposed to be outraged today that the media isnt calling something anymore?  Or be rightfully critical of POTUS still doing ot against the recommendation of his advisors?

The tired defense is spinning this right now as anything other than Trump being in the wrong.  Worrying about what the media did probably a month ago vs what Trump still does daily.

There is no double standard...thats the point...but yeah...call it derangement...classy.
irrationality, 

unreasonableness

delirium, 

frenzy, 

hysteria

Yes, I have zero issue applying these terms to the media in regards to Trump. Ive said it on here before, Trump is a moron and the media cant stop looking and reporting on every. single. thing. he. does.....as long as it isnt anything positive. 

As to your post, you arent supposed to be outraged about the media not calling something a specific term. You should be concerned with their overall hypocrisy when reporting about Trump.  It was fine when we did it, but its terrible now that we stopped and you're doing it. 

For the record, I dont care when CNN, MSNBC, etc stopped calling it the Wuhan Virus. It wasnt racist then and it isnt racist now. 

Actually it wasn't racist then, but it is racist now if one continues to use it after it being told it is offensive to Asian Americans (and it is no excuse to disingenuously say, "That's where it came from").

Names of a disease can change over time when the original terminology is either inaccurate, misleading or prejudicial to certain groups. Few people remember this, but before it was called AIDS, the virus went by the name GRID (short for Gay Related Immune Deficiency) because the first recognized cases of AIDS were restricted to gay men. 

I agree with you that it isn't racist, but it is inflammatory and unnecessary.

It's not that it is factual wrong. It is that Trump doing this serves zero purpose other than to inflame, troll, distract. It's his go to move.
It's always about making everything about himself. Like when he melted down during the press questions, questions both Pence and Biden answered in a rational way.

Not sure you should be calling out classy to anyone.  You consistently talk down to posters here and can never admit when you are wrong.
 Well, first off...no, and ofd howbthe “new guy” makes such a claim with zero basis.

Also...why try and speak about the poster rather than the actual posts.  Please don’t.

irrationality, 

unreasonableness

delirium, 

frenzy, 

hysteria

Yes, I have zero issue applying these terms to the media in regards to Trump. Ive said it on here before, Trump is a moron and the media cant stop looking and reporting on every. single. thing. he. does.....as long as it isnt anything positive. 

As to your post, you arent supposed to be outraged about the media not calling something a specific term. You should be concerned with their overall hypocrisy when reporting about Trump.  It was fine when we did it, but its terrible now that we stopped and you're doing it. 
Because he keeps doing dumb things...its not hypocritical though.  Once there was an actual name...and of they continued today to do so...then they would be hypocritical.  But they haven't.  They stopped...he continues.

Im referring to the double standard
It's not fair that I can't be a troll, so I'm going to ruin it for everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread