What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What happens to leagues if the season is shortened (1 Viewer)

voiceofunreason

Footballguy
Mainly looking at dynasty leagues, what happens if the year is shortened or cancelled? I'm not sure how you even handle the rookie drafts next year. Some sort of a weighted lottery maybe. Can't see given a team the 1.01 two years in a row. 

I run 4 leagues, and in 2 of them I've been thinking of letting someone else take over for a while. If this happens I just can't see continuing them.

Some people may think this is crazy talk but at this point I think it's getting to be a very real possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn’t just a random draft for order next year be the obvious solution?

ETA: I may have jumped in the gun, this may require more thought than I initially thought.  Not sure if random is best solution or not but need to think about it more.

Also I think the season is a goner, so will need to figure out a solution for this in my dynasty league.

Tool said:
Wouldn’t just a random draft for order next year be the obvious solution?
I'm in leagues where a lot of 2021 picks have already been traded.  I would assume it would need to go to an auction style with the budget of every 1st being the 1.06, the budget of every 2nd being the 2.06, and so on.  There are charts to convert picks to auction dollars.

I'm in leagues where a lot of 2021 picks have already been traded.  I would assume it would need to go to an auction style with the budget of every 1st being the 1.06, the budget of every 2nd being the 2.06, and so on.  There are charts to convert picks to auction dollars.
That's not a bad idea. I can't see rewarding bad teams with 2 years of high picks, but random seems like a worse idea. I could see using an auction for 1 year. You'd still need a tie breaker if more than 1 owner wanted the 1.01 and blew their whole budget though.

If the league is merely shortened, I don’t see any need for intervention. Play it out as you always would.

If you want pick value more balanced while still doing a draft, you can have the 2021 rookie draft snake from rd1 to rd2 and then repeat the rd2 order for the rest of the rounds. So a 5-round draft would look like:

1-12
12-1
12-1
12-1
12-1

Or even do something more extreme, like take a draft value chart and give each pick in order to the team with the least total draft value so far. I made up a draft value chart and tried it out and got this crazy draft order:

Some teams get 5 picks, some get 4, and the guy with the first pick only gets 3. If I kept going past here (55 picks), some teams would get 6 picks.

Depending on the timing of such an announcement and your draft, I could actually see not conducting a draft at all in 2020 (if it's cancelled) and leaving those players in the 2021 draft pool.  Would use the 2020 draft order as no game play would have occurred to alter its basis.  Let's hope it does not come to this, but we'd have had to deal with a similar situation had we encountered a work stoppage.

Depending on the timing of such an announcement and your draft, I could actually see not conducting a draft at all in 2020 (if it's cancelled) and leaving those players in the 2021 draft pool.  Would use the 2020 draft order as no game play would have occurred to alter its basis.  Let's hope it does not come to this, but we'd have had to deal with a similar situation had we encountered a work stoppage.
That's what came to my mind as I was reading the OP. This is what I will likely do in the leagues I commish if I get through this and there's enough of the other owners left. GB and good luck everyone!

edit- My thoughts are evolving, if the NFL drafts we will draft. This topic will be discussed and voted upon. I will also offer up the choice of random draft order the second year, rookie snake draft with a 3rd round reversal.

The first option is probably best, we may have rookies die. This virus is real and I am trying to stay very aware.

I may just tell my leagues option 1 if there are deaths to rookies from the virus and the choice of option 2 or possibly an auction if not. Assign  auction dollars differently depending on the competitive balance of each particular league. My general thought is to use an auction price list to figure the value of each team and then assign weighted auction dollars. Maybe have a minimum and a maximum amount set. 12 team league with a total of 2400 auction dollars, the team with the highest value gets $100 and the team with the lowest value gets $300. Maybe allow trades of players for auction dollars so the teams with fewer auction dollars might be able to trade into enough $ for the consensus 1.01.

Whatever is done there needs to be a discussion in each league and a vote. We are in uncharted waters and could lose league mates and players. GL and GB!

voiceofunreason said:
Mainly looking at dynasty leagues, what happens if the year is shortened or cancelled? I'm not sure how you even handle the rookie drafts next year. Some sort of a weighted lottery maybe. Can't see given a team the 1.01 two years in a row. 

I run 4 leagues, and in 2 of them I've been thinking of letting someone else take over for a while. If this happens I just can't see continuing them.

Some people may think this is crazy talk but at this point I think it's getting to be a very real possibility.
If there is any kind of season, even shortened, the standings will determine draft order as usual. If there is no season at all we will randomize rookie draft order for 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread