What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Comfortably Numb's Top 50 Tool songs #2 Jambi...and #1 H (1 Viewer)

comfortably numb

Footballguy
Lets give this a try...

I'm not OGT from 92 but I got a lot more into Tool as Aenima came on the scene.
Initially to me, they were the band with the weird clay figures in their videos I would see on MTV, along with that weird distinctive.....guitar sound.
Their music is not for everyone (sometimes I am not be in the mood) and their fans can be pretentious and their songs can be 18 min log....but that can be a GREAT thing!
Lot's of build up in their music. It's not all headbanger music. If you have never given them a deep try, not is as good of a time as any.
I enjoy the melodic tones of Manyards voice both when he is whispering and screaming.

Albums as follows

1992 Opiate
1993 Undertow
1996 Aenima
2001 Lateralus
2006 10,000 Days
2019 Fear Inoculum 

I saw them twice in the late 90's/early 00's and twice on this last leg in the fall promoting their latest album.
This last album is growing on me a lot more. To give you an example how much I am enjoying this last album. 
Usually when a band goes on tour with the new album, very few people want to hear their new content.
This tour probably had 40% of the music being new content (4 or 5 songs at 7-12 min each will do that) and the new stuff was amazing.
I have tix to see them in Long Island whenever the world opens back up.

I am not a huge history buff so if anyone of the 4 fans on this board want to interject, feel free. I enjoy music for the sound and what it makes me feel.
So yea, that can be Tool or Taylor Swift.

Here we go....
I am going to list the 1st dozen or so songs because...they are not huge on my playlist and I wanted to round off the list.

1 H
2 Jambi
3 Schism
4 Aenima
5 Pu####
6 The Grudge
7 Invincible 
8 Prison Sex
9  Eulogy
10 Lateralus
11 Sober
12 Opiate 
13 Pneuma
14 10,000 days
15 Hooker with a penis
16 Stinkfist
17 Vicarious 
18 7empest
19 Disposition 
20 Fear Inoculum
21 46&2
22 Intolerence
23 Part of me 
24 Parabola
25 Third eye
26 Right in Two 
27 Culling voices
28 The patient
29 Wings for Marie Pt 1
30 Descending 
31 intension
32 Swamp Song
33 The Pot
34 Parabol
35 Undertow
36 Crawl Away
37 Rosetta Stoned
38 Triad......38B Cold and Ugly [I suck at maths and lists]
39 Chocolate Chip Trip
40 Jimmy
41 Ticks and Leaches
42 Bottom
43 Jerk-Off
44 Message to Harry Manback
45 4°
46 Reflection
47 Hush
48 Sweat
49 Flood
50 Disgustipated

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if Jimmy, Ticks & Leaches, or Bottom are in my top 20 but I suspect they're at least in consideration. Rosetta Stoned is definitely in my top 20 though. And I'd be surprised if Jerk Off doesn't make my top 10.

**Bad start...we're off to a bad start**

I don't know if Jimmy, Ticks & Leaches, or Bottom are in my top 20 but I suspect they're at least in consideration. Rosetta Stoned is definitely in my top 20 though. And I'd be surprised if Jerk Off doesn't make my top 10.

**Bad start...we're off to a bad start**
lol.
They just didn't grab me as much as others.
Rosetta Stoned, I thought I liked a lot more but as I kept adding songs it kept making its way down the list.

:blackdot:

No consideration for the covers and whatnot on Salival?

the Maynard’s **** song that comes on at the end of Los Angeles Municipal Court should crack the top 50

Call me a hater, but nothing Lateralus or beyond really caught my ear at all, and would only make my list if I had to go to 50.  I guess between 10,000 Days and Lateralus there might be a few ok things that would make the list 40-50 somewhere. Also, having Bottom that low is a crime, it is easily in my top 10 (unless Bootom is some song I am not familiar with). 

Could we pad the list with Pucifer? Most of that stuff is better than post 2000 Tool.

Saw them in 1998, got Aenima in 1996 and quickly worked backwards, Salival was ok (didn't that come with a VHS of their music videos too? that sounds familiar). Last album I bought was Lateralus. 

Call me a hater, but nothing Lateralus or beyond really caught my ear at all, and would only make my list if I had to go to 50.  I guess between 10,000 Days and Lateralus there might be a few ok things that would make the list 40-50 somewhere. Also, having Bottom that low is a crime, it is easily in my top 10 (unless Bootom is some song I am not familiar with). 

Could we pad the list with Pucifer? Most of that stuff is better than post 2000 Tool.

Saw them in 1998, got Aenima in 1996 and quickly worked backwards, Salival was ok (didn't that come with a VHS of their music videos too? that sounds familiar). Last album I bought was Lateralus. 
Different strokes and all but so much good music lateralus and beyond.

I suppose if lateralus and 10000 days didn't do much for you fear inoculum would put you to sleep. 

I have my list all made up but will be tweaking as I go.

Different strokes and all but so much good music lateralus and beyond.

I suppose if lateralus and 10000 days didn't do much for you fear inoculum would put you to sleep. 

I have my list all made up but will be tweaking as I go.
I listened to Fear Inoculum once and that was enough.

I listened to Fear Inoculum once and that was enough.
I had no idea what to think about Fear after listen one.

There were quite a bit more than a few 'whoa' moments after listen two.

From the third listen-on, blown away. Beginning-to-end the best Tool album I've ever heard - and it isn't close. I listen to the Fear-Pneuma-Invincible-Chocolate Chip-7empest sequence almost every day. And when I don't it's because I listen to the whole thing.

That said, like numb said - if Lateralus/10,000 aren't your thing then Fear really won't. Stick to OGT.

I had no idea what to think about Fear after listen one.

There were quite a bit more than a few 'whoa' moments after listen two.

From the third listen-on, blown away. Beginning-to-end the best Tool album I've ever heard - and it isn't close. I listen to the Fear-Pneuma-Invincible-Chocolate Chip-7empest sequence almost every day. And when I don't it's because I listen to the whole thing.

That said, like numb said - if Lateralus/10,000 aren't your thing then Fear really won't. Stick to OGT.
Re-listened to it, best songs were Fear Inoculum and Descending, but they would still be near the bottom of some ranking system. I guess Tool is not the type of band I seek for 15 minute long songs. 

At some point soon I will release only 1 or 2 songs per day

31 Descending 
32 intension
33 Swamp Song
34 The Pot
35 Parabol
36 Undertow
37 Crawl Away

In a continuing occurrence tracks form undertow don't get the love others would prefer.
The Pot may be too low for many but it is not a song that moves me like others.
Descending  may be too low in retrospect and was great to hear this live (twice!) but as of now other songs get the nod above it.

Not quite OGT, but close ('93).  Heard Sober while watching 120 minutes back when MTV played music, bought the CD shortly thereafter.  Bought Opiate the next month.  Have tickets for the 5/1 show that is almost assuredly cancelled.

Initial thoughts:

Flood, Bottom, and The Pot are too low.

Undertow and Swamp Song are too high.

Surprised Message to Harry Manback and Disgustipated (these are the cries of the carrots! :lmao: ) made the list.

Will be following along.  :thumbup:

Not quite OGT, but close ('93).  Heard Sober while watching 120 minutes back when MTV played music, bought the CD shortly thereafter.  Bought Opiate the next month.  Have tickets for the 5/1 show that is almost assuredly cancelled.

Initial thoughts:

Surprised Message to Harry Manback and Disgustipated (these are the cries of the carrots! :lmao: ) made the list.

lol...i started the list and at 41 realized I had 49 songs picked instead of 50...so i panicked and was lazy and threw in Message to Harry in there.

Thanks Comfortably Numb looking forward to your rankings.  Personally I'd have Rosetta Stone a little bit higher and Descending (my favorite off FI) much higher but that's just my personal preference.  Keep up the good work.

Well Descending and Pneuma are my favorite off FI.  Wasn't a huge fan on Pneuma until I saw it live.  Was blown away how fantastic that was it was easily their best performance at the Milwaukee show last fall, though we didn't get Descending.  Also I think you nailed The Pot.  To me it's just an OK song and probably my least favorite off 10,000 Days if you don't count the 2-4 minute fillers.

Well Descending and Pneuma are my favorite off FI.  Wasn't a huge fan on Pneuma until I saw it live.  Was blown away how fantastic that was it was easily their best performance at the Milwaukee show last fall, though we didn't get Descending.  Also I think you nailed The Pot.  To me it's just an OK song and probably my least favorite off 10,000 Days if you don't count the 2-4 minute fillers.
I think I am realizing how much I like FI.
Like most of Tool, it needs to grow on you but when I started rankings I kept thinking I like the FI songs too much to be too low (like descending) but at the same time, i don't wanna put them that high...for whatever reason? You're not supposed to like the new stuff so much?? right??
IDK....the album is doing really well overall in my mind and growing every day.

Ultimately, i think Descending was on the lower end ans it doesn't quite give me that desire to find that particular song out when I think of turning on the album....but as I type this I could have easily had this at least 10 spots higher.

As I listen now and think back to the concerts I wanna bump this into the top 7!
I'm a mess!

Initial thoughts:

I mean, once you get rid of the intermission songs Tool barely has 50 songs to begin with, would probably need to include that german recipe from Aenima just to reach 50. 

Will make a top 20 or so list once the OP is done, just because.

I mean, once you get rid of the intermission songs Tool barely has 50 songs to begin with, would probably need to include that german recipe from Aenima just to reach 50. 

Will make a top 20 or so list once the OP is done, just because.
I got to 49 i believe using only songs...threw in Harry after I realized I was short.

So I believe that should mean 49 actual songs on all the albums.

I got to 49 i believe using only songs...threw in Harry after I realized I was short.

So I believe that should mean 49 actual songs on all the albums.

I guess you could go into the push-it (added hyphen due to language filter) and the covers from Salival, album vs studio songs from Opiate etc, not sure if you counted those in the 49. 

I think I am realizing how much I like FI.
Like most of Tool, it needs to grow on you but when I started rankings I kept thinking I like the FI songs too much to be too low (like descending) but at the same time, i don't wanna put them that high...for whatever reason? You're not supposed to like the new stuff so much?? right??
IDK....the album is doing really well overall in my mind and growing every day.

Ultimately, i think Descending was on the lower end ans it doesn't quite give me that desire to find that particular song out when I think of turning on the album....but as I type this I could have easily had this at least 10 spots higher.

As I listen now and think back to the concerts I wanna bump this into the top 7!
I'm a mess!
I think Descending is a great song amidst the Fear album. I think Descending by itself is most forgettable. For the purposes of this ranking list I think you found a good spot for it.

I guess you could go into the push-it (added hyphen due to language filter) and the covers from Salival, album vs studio songs from Opiate etc, not sure if you counted those in the 49. 
un keine eier!  Cracked me up back in the day.

You might be right, as I didn't go through and count.  It felt like they should at least be pushing 60 songs in their catalogue.  

Also, I agree with MAC on both that Parabol/Parabola are one song and despite so many people raving about Descending I just can't really get into it.  Really enjoy Fear, but Descending and Culling Voices are both meh for me.  They played Descending at the Pittsburgh show I was at and I was a little bummed as a lot of other shows they played Intolerance or something off of Opiate in that slot, which I probably would have preferred.

un keine eier!  Cracked me up back in the day.
A friend of mine in college told me what that 'song' was actually about - 6 or so years after it was released. I didn't think he was serious and laughed it off. He convinced me to wager with him on it then he eventually drank for free that night.

30 Wings for Marie Part 1

29 The Patient

28 Culling voices

Not loving where I put these upon further review.

Descending and a few should easily be above these. Let's just lump them all in a tier and move on.

30 Wings for Marie Part 1

29 The Patient

28 Culling voices

Not loving where I put these upon further review.

Descending and a few should easily be above these. Let's just lump them all in a tier and move on.
Agreed, this was a good spot to dump the ones that belonged in the bottom tiers you forgot about. All good though, I think we all would have made similar mistakes with different songs had we attempted this exercise. It's just a lot easier to poke holes when you're standing on the outside holding a stick.

#27 Right in Two

Angels on the sideline
Puzzled and amused
Why did Father give these humans free will?
Now they're all confused

Always liked this opening verse
This might crack my top 10.  Love the tablas solo.  Saw them do this live at a smaller venue (Fox theatre in Detroit) when 10000 days came out and it was amazing 

there’s an unofficial YouTube video that’s pretty cool too 

This might crack my top 10.  Love the tablas solo.  Saw them do this live at a smaller venue (Fox theatre in Detroit) when 10000 days came out and it was amazing 

there’s an unofficial YouTube video that’s pretty cool too 
I have a difficult time with this song. It's beautiful. It's deep. Whenever it comes on I don't think I've ever skipped to something else.

But I never seek it out.

#27 Right in Two

Angels on the sideline
Puzzled and amused
Why did Father give these humans free will?
Now they're all confused

Always liked this opening verse
Love this song, probably top 10 for me.   Also, one of the Tool songs where I really feel like the music just suits the lyrics and theme so well.

Also, this cover is awesome.

#26 Third eye

Came out to watch you play
Why are you running
?

....prying open my third eye!!!!

probably my 1st experience with a song on an album that lasts 13 min that I wouldn't press skip or FF...oh...and here's Tom with the weather

#26 Third eye

Came out to watch you play
Why are you running
?

....prying open my third eye!!!!

probably my 1st experience with a song on an album that lasts 13 min that I wouldn't press skip or FF...oh...and here's Tom with the weather
Another top 10 for me, might even be #1 depending on my mood

this is one I’ve never caught live unfortunately 

Somewhat off topic but was a Tool fan early on and lost touch with them over the years.  With all the free time I have on my hands, I really gave their latest album a good listen.  All I can say is wow.  It doesn't get much better than Invincible:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxsld16TjSU

22 46 & 2

this has to be one of their biggest radio plays. Seem to hear this alot on the radio over the years. A very good stand alone song that can jam for even most non tool fans.

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic
And insecure delusions

23 intolerance 

But you lie, cheat, and steal

Weirdly enough I love these latest rankings.  You'll catch hell for Parabola being so low but I can see why you put it there.  I have a clear top 5 so I'll be ready to pounce if I see them listed soon. :D  

Weirdly enough I love these latest rankings.  You'll catch hell for Parabola being so low but I agree with it.  It's a good song but I like a bunch of their other stuff better.  I have a clear top 5 so I'll be ready to pounce if I see them listed soon. :D  
My normal response for most songs either being too low or too high is going to be how they connect with me emotionally. 

Parabola is a good song and even 46 &2 but they just lack the connection with me.

Users who are viewing this thread