What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Topps Heritage set collector club (1 Viewer)

shuke

Black Ice Skeptic
Had the idea yesterday to collect the 2020 Topps Heritage set to help break up some stay-at-home boredom.  This mimics the look of the 1971 set, which is probably my favorite.  My kids have some cards but have never really collected/traded them so I'm going to try to do this with them.  If they lose interest I'll probably keep going.

So looking for others who want to do the same who would be interested in trading/shipping doubles.  My goal is the full base set first, and then Reds inserts/parallels.

Here is the checklist.

FBG GROUP CHECKLIST

I think @Notorious T.R.E. is at least semi-interested.

:nerd:

Last edited by a moderator:
semi-interested

I haven't bought a baseball card in more than 20 years but I was really into cards in the late 80's/early 90's. Even though that was the suckiest time to collect value wise I had a lot of fun doing it.

So this would be buying boxes packs, opening and then trading doubles?

My cousin sent me an unopened pack of Upper Deck 1990 cards for my birthday.  Maybe I'll do a daily reveal thread when I get tired of OOTP.

Kraft... said:
Is this a good place to start or is that a crappy deal(8 packs for $20). :shrug:
I bought a few of those to start plus a lot of 25 random cards on ebay.  Based on the checklist page I posted, the blaster boxes don't have as many chances for the inserts as the hobby boxes, but I'm going to wait until I start throwing $80 around for cards.

Every time I think of getting back into collecting (I was big into it as a kid, from the mid-'70s through mid-'80s), I look at the prices for packs and pull back.

In 1976 you could get a 15-cent pack of 10 cards, so the equivalent of 14 packs (to get 138 cards) shouldn't even cost $10 today based on inflation rates.

I don't have kids, so I would be doing it simply for myself for nostalgia purposes or something to do, but I'm just never sure I can justify it. I would almost rather try to find some lots online of the old cards I collected as a kid and try to build sets that way ... even though I know I would end up paying premiums for some of the non-commons.

Every time I think of getting back into collecting (I was big into it as a kid, from the mid-'70s through mid-'80s), I look at the prices for packs and pull back.

In 1976 you could get a 15-cent pack of 10 cards, so the equivalent of 14 packs (to get 138 cards) shouldn't even cost $10 today based on inflation rates.

I don't have kids, so I would be doing it simply for myself for nostalgia purposes or something to do, but I'm just never sure I can justify it. I would almost rather try to find some lots online of the old cards I collected as a kid and try to build sets that way ... even though I know I would end up paying premiums for some of the non-commons.
Same thing I've said for years.  But I figure I'm not spending as much money these days on entertainment, so it's justified.

Ordered a couple Blaster boxes to start  :banned:

Created a google doc to track cards here , editing is open if you want to add your list to it. 

Happy hunting! 
Should we make a column for each person of what they have willing to trade?

I just ordered the mega box. Will check back when it arrives, says delivery April 8th. This set looks awesome, love the 71' vintage feel.

:o there are a crap load of extra cards 
Even some of these inserts have parallels, and I didn't list those all.

For instance, for the chrome list, the checklist says the following.  Not even sure I understand all this.

Parallels:

Purple Hot Box Refractors (randomly inserted in hobby boxes and blasters)

Refractors – /571 (1:106 hobby, 1:105 retail, 1:106 blaster, 1:48 fat pack, 1:28 hanger boxes.)

White Border – /71 (1:849 hobby, 1:847 retail, 1:852 blaster, 1:386 fat pack, 1:219 hanger boxes.)

Gold Border – /5 (1:3,304 hobby, hobby only)

Superfractors – 1/1 (1:60,432 hobby, 1:61,368 retail, 1:60,972 blaster, 1:25,971 fat pack, 1:16,400 hanger boxes.)

I pulled an Evan Longoria chrome and it's numbered out of 999.  I guess this is the normal chrome?
Yes, its a walmart exclusive mega box thing.

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/2020-topps-heritage-chrome-mega-box-baseball-cards

Looks like 2 sets of chrome.  100 cards each.  All numbered /999. One set of 100 is Walmart exclusive.

To figure out variations this article was helpful. See the "Don’t Worry About Codes" section. Apparently the type of variation is printed above the players photo on the back of the card. 

I rearranged and formatted the checklist.  Please enter what you have with numbers.  I used conditional formatting so anything that you have more than 1 of shows in green and available for trade. 

:nerd:

First two boxes came today. Opened and entered everything into the google sheet. It is a really cool looking set and I have to say the cards are much sturdier these days, they definitely have a feel of quality that they didn't used to have. Only 4 doubles so far, including the #1 Washington Nationals World Series Champions card. 

For special cards I got:

The Giants cards 
#1 which is the "Polo Grounds" card. Shows Willie crossing the plate after his first MLB Homer, pretty damn cool if you ask me. 

2 Flashback cards
BF-3 Bob Gibson shutting out the Mets.
BF-10 Yaz game winner vs the Orioles, as a Boston guy was happy to get this one in my first group of packs.

2 Then and Now cards
TN-3 Seaver and Hyun-Jin RYU ERA Leaders NL ERA Leaders
TN-10 Tony Oliva and Tim Anderson AL Batting Leaders

1 New Age Performer
NAP-16 Tim Anderson 

1 Chrome
THC-261 Jack Flaherty. These are pretty nice, have a more enamel looking sheen and a shiny background. 

2 Bazooka Test Cards
#6 Christian Yelich
#10 Juan Soto

Not sure what I'll do next, maybe a Hobby Box, we'll see :coffee:  

First two boxes came today. Opened and entered everything into the google sheet. It is a really cool looking set and I have to say the cards are much sturdier these days, they definitely have a feel of quality that they didn't used to have. Only 4 doubles so far, including the #1 Washington Nationals World Series Champions card. 

For special cards I got:

The Giants cards 
#1 which is the "Polo Grounds" card. Shows Willie crossing the plate after his first MLB Homer, pretty damn cool if you ask me. 

2 Flashback cards
BF-3 Bob Gibson shutting out the Mets.
BF-10 Yaz game winner vs the Orioles, as a Boston guy was happy to get this one in my first group of packs.

2 Then and Now cards
TN-3 Seaver and Hyun-Jin RYU ERA Leaders NL ERA Leaders
TN-10 Tony Oliva and Tim Anderson AL Batting Leaders

1 New Age Performer
NAP-16 Tim Anderson 

1 Chrome
THC-261 Jack Flaherty. These are pretty nice, have a more enamel looking sheen and a shiny background. 

2 Bazooka Test Cards
#6 Christian Yelich
#10 Juan Soto

Not sure what I'll do next, maybe a Hobby Box, we'll see :coffee:  
Only 4 doubles??  What kind of boxes were these?

My shipment says out for delivery today, 2 days ahead of schedule. Hopefully I can get in to this tonight. :clap:

I entered about 6 packs with no doubles.  :shrug:  I have 9 packs left to enter, I'll try to get them in tomorrow night.

Opened my box last night (that's what she said), nothing too exciting (also what she said), will get it entered into the spreadsheet tonight.

I think @shuke has enough doubles for all of us. I did a count and he has 40  :shock:  I have 5 and we have almost the same amount of total cards :shrug:  Interesting that of my 5 doubles shuke doesn't even have singles of any of them. Makes for good trade potential which is what this is all about  :thumbup:

I've got a retail box on the way.  I'm going to try to savor it though and not open all the packs at once.  Once I get through that, I'll be ready for some trades.

I've got a retail box on the way.  I'm going to try to savor it though and not open all the packs at once.  Once I get through that, I'll be ready for some trades.
Just ordered a retail box as well. Hopefully I'll get some doubles for trading.

What are the different types of boxes? Blaster and Hobby I know, what are the others? I've seen "retail" and "mega" any others? Assuming the difference is the variations/inserts that are available in each type of box. 

And what type have people already opened/ordered? I've opened 2 Blasters and ordered 1 Hobby(should arrive tomorrow). 

Users who are viewing this thread