What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Topps Heritage set collector club (1 Viewer)

What are the different types of boxes? Blaster and Hobby I know, what are the others? I've seen "retail" and "mega" any others? Assuming the difference is the variations/inserts that are available in each type of box. 

And what type have people already opened/ordered? I've opened 2 Blasters and ordered 1 Hobby(should arrive tomorrow). 
I have opened a mega box which looks like it's a Walmart only thing, not 100% sure about that. It had 15 packs and a 3 card bonus chrome pack.

I just today ordered a retail box from Amazon which looks like it contains 24 packs.

What are the different types of boxes? Blaster and Hobby I know, what are the others? I've seen "retail" and "mega" any others? Assuming the difference is the variations/inserts that are available in each type of box. 

And what type have people already opened/ordered? I've opened 2 Blasters and ordered 1 Hobby(should arrive tomorrow). 

I've seen:

Fat Pack
Hanger Box
Blaster Box
Mega Box - Walmart exclusive
Hobby Box
Retail Box

If you look at the Becket checklist I posted in OP,  it shows the different odds for various inserts.  

I believe the hobby box and retail box both have 24 packs, but hobby ($80) has more/different inserts than retail ($60).

Last edited by a moderator:
Collecting has definitely become more complicated since the early 90's  :loco:

Hobby also guarantees one auto or relic per box and you get a box topper (usually a buyback of an actual 1971 card that's stamped)

I miss getting Beckett Magazine every month. I know eBay is the driven force, and I know you can still get Beckett, but there was something about that magazine that was everything in the late 80s/early 90s.

Started opening the Hobby Box. I was about 10 packs in then took a break.

Got this Goldschmidt Relic card, seems like one of the more meh options  :shrug:   

Greatest Moments Box Loader
#32 Francisco Lindor "Not Short on Power", kind of annoying because it's an odd size and doesn't fit in any of the cases or sleeves I have  :kicksrock:

The Giants cards 
#7 apparently there are multiple Polo Grounds cards so going by year, this is 1956. Willie’s first time getting to 30/30. The stories on the back of these are great, my favorite cards of this set so far.  :thumbup:

2 Flashback cards
BF-1 Hank Aaron the leading vote getter in 71 all star voting 
BF-10 Yaz again, my first special card double

1 Then and Now card
TN-1 Fergie Jenkins& Strasburg NL Wins leadres

Got my retail box today.  Said I was going to open 1 pack a day to make it last.  Blew though 6 already.  Only insert is one of the Mays cards.  :mellow:

Got my retail box today.  Said I was going to open 1 pack a day to make it last.  Blew though 6 already.  Only insert is one of the Mays cards.  :mellow:
Got through rest of box.  Spreadsheet updated.  No autos or relics.

Finished the Hobby Box

Got my first “Base Variation”
#257 Cody Bellinger - Action Image

First White Parallel #132 Jose Martinez

First Chrome Refractor THC-244 Geore Springer White 13/71 these Chrome cards look pretty cool, the white ones even more so 

The Giants cards 
#18 1970, Willie voted the player of the decade for the 60’s by Sporting news 
#7 1956 Double in this BOX 

Then and Now
Another Double in this BOX TN-1 Fergie Jenkins & Strasburg

News Flashbacks
NF-10 Mariner 9 Enters Mars’ Orbit My first News Flashback, kind of cool :shrug:

Mega Box on the way and since short prints seem to be so scarce I bought a block of 20 on Ebay for $40. Figure it would take a bunch of boxes to land them anyway. The old collecting juices are flowing(and so is the $ :oldunsure:  )

Got my box updated on the spreadsheet. 135 cards, so I might need to double check. Got the first French card (Cam Bedrosian). I highlighted the French cards in yellow, because I was doing some searches by card number and realized I was putting numbers down in the wrong spot.

Kraft... said:
Finished the Hobby Box

Got my first “Base Variation”
#257 Cody Bellinger - Action Image

First White Parallel #132 Jose Martinez

First Chrome Refractor THC-244 Geore Springer White 13/71 these Chrome cards look pretty cool, the white ones even more so 

The Giants cards 
#18 1970, Willie voted the player of the decade for the 60’s by Sporting news 
#7 1956 Double in this BOX 

Then and Now
Another Double in this BOX TN-1 Fergie Jenkins & Strasburg

News Flashbacks
NF-10 Mariner 9 Enters Mars’ Orbit My first News Flashback, kind of cool :shrug:

Mega Box on the way and since short prints seem to be so scarce I bought a block of 20 on Ebay for $40. Figure it would take a bunch of boxes to land them anyway. The old collecting juices are flowing(and so is the $ :oldunsure:  )
Must have got a relic or auto right? What did you get???  Auto says something like certified auto edition...

Got in my retail pack. I've only opened 4 packs at the moment and entered them and will try to get to some more tonight but I did start to get doubles.

I've seen:

Fat Pack
Hanger Box
Blaster Box
Mega Box - Walmart exclusive
Hobby Box
Retail Box

If you look at the Becket checklist I posted in OP,  it shows the different odds for various inserts.  

I believe the hobby box and retail box both have 24 packs, but hobby ($80) has more/different inserts than retail ($60).
I've been on the fence about joining this journey with you guys. I stopped collecting around 2000-ish, so all of this is kinda confusing for me as I search the interwebs for the best deals.

Have you guys determined what the best bang for the buck is here?

I've been on the fence about joining this journey with you guys. I stopped collecting around 2000-ish, so all of this is kinda confusing for me as I search the interwebs for the best deals.

Have you guys determined what the best bang for the buck is here?
For quantity of base cards, I think retail box.  For best shot at inserts, hobby box.

I may have to get another retail box, or at least some booster packs. Starting to get pricey.
Hobby box is the way to go.  You get a box topper, a guaranteed auto or relic, and each pack (at least the one I got) has a purple chrome refractor.

Also, I did not have one double in the entire box.

I updated the google sheet.  

I added a section at the bottom for autos/relics. Not putting the entire checklist there, just what people have.

All of my chromes are available for trade except any Reds.

@Kraft..., trade proposal.  You send me these 31 cards:

10 Jedd Gyorko
15 Anibal Sanchez
29 Adam Ottavino
34 Orlando Arcia
46 Adam Engel
74 Lewis Thorpe, Brusdar Graterol RC
83 Aaron Civale/Bobby Bradley RC
90 Robinson Cano
100 Nick Markakis
132 Jose Martinez
144 Miguel Rojas
173 Trevor Richards
180 Byron Buxton
211 Cam Bedrosian
218 Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
219 Danny Jansen
227 Drew VerHagen
230 Patrick Corbin
243 Aaron Sanchez
257 Cody Bellinger
268 Tommy Pham
279 Starlin Castro
282 Randal Grichuk
300 Renato Nunez
328 Kurt Suzuki – WS HL
341 Mike Clevinger
343 Josh Sborz, Tony Gonsolin RC
380 Mark Melancon
382 Austin Romine
398 Luis Urias
467 Paul Goldschmidt SP

And I send you 34 of the following (adding a few extra since I'm asking for a 400 series card). You pick.

8 Gio Urshela
17 Yuli Gurriel
31 Victor Caratini
33 Ender Inciarte
39 Tyler Alexander, Jake Rogers RC
44 Brendan Rodgers
47 J.A. Happ
50 Chris Bassitt
58 Andrew Miller
61 Tim Anderson, Yoan Moncada, DJ LeMahieu
62 Anthony Rendon, Christian Yelich, Ketel Marte
71 Justin Verlander, Shane Bieber, Gerrit Cole
79 Jay Bruce
113 Eduardo Rodriguez
119 Maikel Franco
126 Edwin Encarnacion
137 Rio Ruiz
141 Brandon Belt
143 Ildemaro Vargas
147 Tyler Naquin
158 Daniel Murphy
167 Max Muncy
168 Ken Giles
172 Pedro Baez
175 Danny Santana
182 Chris Paddack
193 Brandon Nimmo
200 Jose Altuve – Playoff HL
222 Anthony DeSclafani
231 Yu Chang, Logan Allen RC
235 Mike Freeman
241 Willson Contreras
263 Freddie Freeman
278 Wilson Ramos
295 Zach Eflin
296 Eric Lauer
299 Cam Gallagher
310 Michael Conforto
321 Ryan Braun
330 Alex Bregman – WS HL
332 Stephen Strasburg – WS HL
335 Sean Murphy
351 Ty France
352 Mike Tauchman
357 Chance Sisco
358 Mike Ford
359 Roberto Perez
364 Alex Dickerson
373 Anthony Rizzo
374 Brandon Woodruff
394 Kevin Pillar
395 Aaron Judge
399 Jeff Samardzija

Finally entered everything.  Except a few mini cards I didn't see lines for (non-numbered).  What a slog that is.

So only there are minis for the entire set but only some are numbered/100?
I guess?  I have 4 minis and then a numbered Yadi mini /100.  The weird part is the numbered mini is slightly bigger than the regular minis (also black border vs white for regular).

I just have to enter my last couple boxes. One box every short print I got was a double  <_<  

I think if I trade a short print I'll have to get one back, they are just to tough to get to trade for commons. 

Hobby box is the way to go.  You get a box topper, a guaranteed auto or relic, and each pack (at least the one I got) has a purple chrome refractor.

Also, I did not have one double in the entire box.
Where did you get your hobby box? Any reviews I see say that they were opened and the autograph and relic were already taken out?

Opened two blasters with the kid today.  One blaster was a "hot box" and had a purple chrome in every pack.  Kinda cool.  Best was probably a Luzardo/Puk/Brown rookie or Yelich.  

Will have to sort and update the spreadsheet again.  

I ordered another hobby box.  I'll be officially ready to start some mail trades next weekend.

I am almost bored enough to order a hobby box. Is $80 a good price? Has anybody pulled any cards worth enough that paying $80 a bx seems at all reasonable?

I am almost bored enough to order a hobby box. Is $80 a good price? Has anybody pulled any cards worth enough that paying $80 a bx seems at all reasonable?
Seems reasonable.  I just bought one. Got a Luzardo autograph that sells for about $15-20, a Vlad parallel that sells for about the same, and a 1971 buyback AL batting leaders that looks to be selling for about $80.  Plus all the other cards.

$80.00 for a hobby box sounds pretty good, just make sure it's "factory sealed" as shuke mentioned earlier in the thread. I've bought a couple of retail boxes which I believe have the same amount of packs per box that the hobby box has but the hobby box guarantees certain types of cards.

I paid $79.99 and 74.99 for my retail boxes, only a few chrome card pulls that may range from $4 - $9. Nothing much money wise but I'm doing this for the fun of it and to reminisce in the 1971 look of the cards. As shuke mentioned, I'm going for the base set then get my Oriole inserts.

Users who are viewing this thread