What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One America News Service (OANS) questions (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Admission: prior to last week I had never heard of OANS. But apparently Trump loves them and invites them to his daily press conferences, and calls on them often. I have now heard this woman, (who I should note that, for the purposes of the first question below, is Asian-American) ask 3 questions to President Trump, each one even more remarkable. I’m going to have to paraphrase since these are from memory but I will do the best I can to be accurate: 

1. Some in the media believe that the term “Chinese virus” is bigoted, even though the virus comes from China. Do you believe the term “Chinese food” is bigoted? 

2. Your approval ratings have shot through the roof in recent days. Now some in the media are considering not showing these press conferences any longer. Do you think this is a coincidence? 

3. More innocent babies die as a result of abortions in a single day than the total deaths caused by the coronavirus so far. Would you consider suspending all abortions in this country so as to free up more doctors to fight the virus? 

I am am anxiously waiting today’s presser to see if this woman can possibly top the sheer ugliness of yesterday’s question. 

Admission: prior to last week I had never heard of OANS. But apparently Trump loves them and invites them to his daily press conferences, and calls on them often. I have now heard this woman, (who I should note that, for the purposes of the first question below, is Asian-American) ask 3 questions to President Trump, each one even more remarkable. I’m going to have to paraphrase since these are from memory but I will do the best I can to be accurate: 

1. Some in the media believe that the term “Chinese virus” is bigoted, even though the virus comes from China. Do you believe the term “Chinese food” is bigoted? 

2. Your approval ratings have shot through the roof in recent days. Now some in the media are considering not showing these press conferences any longer. Do you think this is a coincidence? 

3. More innocent babies die as a result of abortions in a single day than the total deaths caused by the coronavirus so far. Would you consider suspending all abortions in this country so as to free up more doctors to fight the virus? 

I am am anxiously waiting today’s presser to see if this woman can possibly top the sheer ugliness of yesterday’s question. 
This is the network Rudy was working with to expose Hunter Biden.

Number 1 is silly I agree.

Number 2 I think is a great question/observation.

Number 3 is silly because abortion doctors probably won't be much help fighting the virus.  I say this even though I am strongly against abortion.

Trump gets mad at Fox sometimes when they run a poll he doesn’t like or when Chris Wallace performs acts of journalism, so he’s been amplifying OANN over the last year because they’re basically like if the Gateway Pundit had a network.

You are making fun of other networks when CNN and Jim Acosta are in there?

This is like a Bills fan comparing the Patriots to an XFL team.
CNN is more like the Oakland Raiders. A once proud organization that has completely lost its way.

No way CNN can be equated with the Patriots given their massive ratings decline in recent years.

I guess if you're talking about lack of trust and dishonesty, then the Patriots comparison makes a ton of sense.

This is like a Bills fan comparing the Patriots to an XFL team.
CNN is more like the Oakland Raiders. A once proud organization that has completely lost its way.

No way CNN can be equated with the Patriots given their massive ratings decline in recent years.

I guess if you're talking about lack of trust and dishonesty, then the Patriots comparison makes a ton of sense.
:yes:

The Patriots are cheaters. Their roster and staff is full of arrogant, overrated people. They are a once-proud dynasty looking straight in the mirror of obsolescence.

But they're still an NFL team.

When someone comes along and tries to make a "whataboutism" comparison between the Patriots and an XFL team, you know right away that it's a disingenuous argument that comes from a place of either extreme ignorance or extreme trolling.

edit: good point about the Raiders, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratings are a weird way to evaluate a news organization.

Apparently they don't feel the need to follow rules either (from LA Times) - 

Before Tuesday’s briefing began, a representative of the correspondents association asked Rion to leave the room because it wasn’t her day to attend, but she refused, claiming she was there “as a guest of Stephanie Grisham,” the White House press secretary, according to reporters familiar with the exchange.

Neither Grisham nor Rion responded to requests for comment.

--

From twitter - 

@PaulaReidCBS - OANN reporter once again standing in back of WH Briefing in defiance of social distancing requirements set in place by @whca. OANN is in the rotation of reporters who get to attend briefings but seem to think they get to play by different rules & put safety at risk

No you understand why conservative roll their eyes when the MSM lobbed up so many softballs to Obama.   Yes, it is maddening when the media is suppose to be watchdogs are lapdog instead.  

Rion was standing in the back of the briefing room. Under temporary rules implemented by the White House Correspondents Assn. to handle the current health emergency, only 14 reporters are allowed to attend the briefing each day and are spaced out across the room’s 49 seats, with others barred from standing in the aisles. News outlets rotate the assignment.

Before Tuesday’s briefing began, a representative of the correspondents association asked Rion to leave the room because it wasn’t her day to attend, but she refused, claiming she was there “as a guest of Stephanie Grisham,” the White House press secretary, according to reporters familiar with the exchange.

Neither Grisham nor Rion responded to requests for comment.

On Wednesday, after Rion again attended the briefing and stood in the back of the room in violation of the social distancing rules, the board of the correspondents organization voted to remove OAN from the seat rotation.

“We do not take this action lightly,” the board wrote in a statement announcing the decision, which did not name OAN. “This is a matter of public safety.”

Rion had similarly flouted the rules in late October, when she showed up one Sunday morning in the press pool — the rotating group of seven reporters given access, along with photographers, to the president’s Oval Office appearances, bill signings and some meetings — on a day when she was not in the rotation. Hours earlier, a U.S. special forces raid had killed the leader of Islamic State, Abu Bakr Baghdadi.
L.A. Times

1.  Its not bigoted, its just Trump's idiot name calling thing he does to everybody

2. of course it not a coincidence

3. most abortion clinics have closed IIRC because of covid-19 and no, the abortion people really aren't suited to help people live vs die IMO 

1.  Its not bigoted, its just Trump's idiot name calling thing he does to everybody

2. of course it not a coincidence

3. most abortion clinics have closed IIRC because of covid-19 and no, the abortion people really aren't suited to help people live vs die IMO 
I'm curious what you mean by what you said in the bold?

• Thanks
Reactions: rct
CNN amd Acosta are legit sources...so yes, OANN should be made fun of especially when compared to  Acosta .
Cable news in general has lost it`s way.   I used to like Acosta but sadly he has let his personal feelings get in the way of doing his job. Don Lemon is considered a news anchor and he is worse. I don`t mind Cooper.  Hannity is bad but his show is commentary so you know going in it is his view, I don`t watch FOX so have no idea who their news anchors are.

I stopped watching CNN as of late because of their running death toll ticker like Corona is a football game score or stock index and their constant fear mongering.

Cable news in general has lost it`s way.   I used to like Acosta but sadly he has let his personal feelings get in the way of doing his job. Don Lemon is considered a news anchor and he is worse. I don`t mind Cooper.  Hannity is bad but his show is commentary so you know going in it is his view, I don`t watch FOX so have no idea who their news anchors are.

I stopped watching CNN as of late because of their running death toll ticker like Corona is a football game score or stock index and their constant fear mongering.
I get CNN is biased...but Acosta is a legit reporter.  As it relates to the topic...its not even comparable to what OAN is...OAN is like places like Gateway Pundit or InfoWars if they had a channel.  Its terrible and should not even carry the name news in its title.

“Trump Is Really Aiming to Take Down Fox”: A Group Associated With Donald Trump Jr. Is Buying a Major Stake in OANN

Possibly hedging against a 2020 loss, the Trump family builds ties to a network that’s much more loyal than Fox.

When liberals look at Fox News, they tend to see Trump TV: a cable network that, with a few exceptions, has relentlessly pushed his policy objectives, and praised him in the terms that he loves. But that is not the way Donald Trump himself sees it. Trump loves that many Fox hosts are his loudest cheerleaders—but any deviation from Trumpian orthodoxy he views as betrayal. He sees himself as responsible for the network’s continued ratings success, and expects to be treated as such. In private, Trump reminds friends that Fox tried to derail his campaign during the 2016 Republican primary, and he vents that Fox owes its record ratings to him. “At the end of day, Trump thinks he owns Fox. He thinks he made them,” said a Republican who discussed Fox with Trump.

Trump’s frustration with Fox has only intensified during the coronavirus pandemic. As the nation’s COVID-19 death count rises, and Trump’s poll numbers slide, Fox executives have sidelined the network’s most flagrant coronavirus deniers. In late April Fox cut ties with MAGA stars Diamond and Silk after the duo promoted bizarre COVID-19 conspiracies, including speculation that the virus was man-made or that New York state was inflating deaths totals to hurt Trump politically.

Trump’s view that Fox is insufficiently loyal has motivated him to look for a more reliable media partner. On April 26, he tweeted: “The people who are watching @FoxNews, in record numbers (thank you President Trump), are angry. They want an alternative now. So do I!”

Trump now is on the verge of having that alternative. According to sources, an investor group aligned with his son Don Jr. and the Dallas-based Hicks family has acquired a major stake in One America News Network, the fledgling conservative cable-news channel that features hosts like Jack Posobiec, a chief promoter of the Pizzagate conspiracy. “[RNC co-chair] Tommy Hicks and Don Jr. have been looking to buy a station for Trump TV,” said one source briefed on the talks. “This is all about building a Fox competitor. Trump is really aiming to take down Fox,” the person briefed on the deal told me. (A person close to Hicks said he resigned his position from the family business when he joined the RNC and isn’t involved in the OANN deal).

During impeachment, OANN distinguished itself by its brazen airing of pro-Trump propaganda. OANN ran a three-part series hosted by Rudy Giuliani promoting Trump’s conspiracy that it was Ukraine, not Russia, that meddled in the 2016 election. Former Trump campaign aide Michael Caputo—the current spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services—hosted a prime-time special titled: The Ukraine Hoax: Impeachment, Biden Cash, Mass Murder.

Sources said the deal has been dragging on for months, and hasn't yet closed. In January the Wall Street Journal reported that Hicks Equity Partners was in talks to invest $250 million to acquire OANN from parent company Herring Networks Inc. Sources told me OANN president Charles Herring was asking $300 million for the channel, a price the Trump group felt was too high (one source said the final price was around $200 million). It’s unclear whether Don Jr. invested Trump family funds in the deal or was given equity. The infusion of cash will allow OANN to improve production values and expand its modest distribution of 35 million homes (Fox News is available in more than 90 million homes).

“While Don has long enjoyed a close friendship with Tommy Hicks and his family, he is not part of any investment group looking to acquire OANN,” a spokesperson for Donald Trump Jr. said in a statement. “Should the Hicks family acquire the network, Don has no doubt that they will make OANN an even bigger success.”

Hicks did not respond to requests for comment. Herring did not respond to an email seeking comment.

As the deal has been moving forward, Trump has been promoting OANN by calling on OANN reporters at White House briefings and tweeting favorably about the network’s coverage. Over the weekend, he tweeted that AT&T is expanding OANN’s distribution. “I hate to be promoting AT&T, but @OANN is Great News, not Fake News. Everybody should be carrying them!”

For Trump, the network serves as both a tactical weapon in the 2020 campaign and a strategic hedge in case he needs a new platform after November. One source told me that if Trump loses, he could use OANN as his post-presidential television platform to host shows. Controlling a network has been something Trump has been mulling since the 2016 election. Thinking he would lose, per the source, Trump dispatched his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to raise money to launch Trump TV. According to the source, Trump considered buying the Weather Channel, then owned by Blackstone, and converting it into a Trump TV network. The deal didn’t go forward because Blackstone CEO Stephen Schwarzman wanted $450 million, far more than the $300 million Trump was willing to pay. (A person close to Kushner denies this. A Blackstone spokesperson also denies the account.)

“Trump’s big thing was always to own a network and be a multibillionaire,” the source said. “If Trump loses, he can be on OANN all the time. And before he leaves office, he has months to pump it up.”

Users who are viewing this thread