Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Grocery store talk - pandemic edition


Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, RG623 said:

Made a trip to my local grocery store today. As I made my way through the freezer section, saw a guy with no mask, (now a requirement in my state) and fingerless gloves (think Rocky Balboa) take out a small spray bottle with no label and spray the handle of the door before he opened it.

I was bothered by it as I don’t want people spraying their homemade sanitizers around the food I’m purchasing. Overreaction on my part?

That guy sounds like a total moron.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remind me never to piss you off.  My murder would undoubtedly go unsolved.

my routine is similar to bfreds: i bring masks/gloves, wipes and hand sanitizer in the car wear old clothes i don’t really care about wear mask and gloves into the store credit car

I take some hand sanitizer to keep in my pocket and go first thing in the morning.  I'll use one of the cart wipes if they've got them (50/50). Thought about sanitizing all packages, but I'm not

On 4/24/2020 at 7:31 PM, El Floppo said:

I'm temporarily in MD...went to a home Depot two days ago. They had a sign at the entry that said:

No mask

No shoes

No dice

If people are not reading this out loud in their Spicoli voice, then I just don't know why we even bother.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a guy in his 50s at the store today, no mandatory mask, no mandatory gloves, walking the wrong way through the store when they had signs telling people to go a certain direction, walking way closer than six feet after waiting in a socially distanced line just to get into the store, and demand shredded cheese from a masked store employee who did nothing to stop him.  He just apologized that they were out of shredded cheese but had a huge cheese selection if you wanted to shred your own.  So the guy stormed off, again passing all the people waiting in line and following the rules.  

That guy, even if it's just one guy out of one hundred, is why it's not safe to go to stores.  I'm wearing a mask that protects him, but he's endangering me. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

I saw a guy in his 50s at the store today, no mandatory mask, no mandatory gloves, walking the wrong way through the store when they had signs telling people to go a certain direction, walking way closer than six feet after waiting in a socially distanced line just to get into the store, and demand shredded cheese from a masked store employee who did nothing to stop him.  He just apologized that they were out of shredded cheese but had a huge cheese selection if you wanted to shred your own.  So the guy stormed off, again passing all the people waiting in line and following the rules.  

That guy, even if it's just one guy out of one hundred, is why it's not safe to go to stores.  I'm wearing a mask that protects him, but he's endangering me. 

I see 5-6 of these people every time I go shopping. Want to punch them in the throat.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing an online order at Target just now, and where I'd normally select "same day delivery with Shipt" I'm noticing the option for "Order pickup" on select groceries like milk, bread, etc. I've never noticed order pickup as an option for groceries before (usually just clothes, electronics, toys, basically stuff that can sit in the shelf in the back room). Anyway, that might be a good option for somebody just needing some staples that doesn't want to pay for delivery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nipsey said:
4 hours ago, bostonfred said:

I saw a guy in his 50s at the store today, no mandatory mask, no mandatory gloves, walking the wrong way through the store when they had signs telling people to go a certain direction, walking way closer than six feet after waiting in a socially distanced line just to get into the store, and demand shredded cheese from a masked store employee who did nothing to stop him.  He just apologized that they were out of shredded cheese but had a huge cheese selection if you wanted to shred your own.  So the guy stormed off, again passing all the people waiting in line and following the rules.  

That guy, even if it's just one guy out of one hundred, is why it's not safe to go to stores.  I'm wearing a mask that protects him, but he's endangering me. 

I see 5-6 of these people every time I go shopping. Want to punch them in the throat.

I've run into the same guy three times in the last two weeks that just doesn't give a ####. I saw him two weeks in a row at the grocery store even though I went on different days and I stopped in PetSmart today to get dog food. I'm getting in line, he walks in the door and passes by me, maybe a foot away. I looked around like I was being pranked.  And I know it's the same guy because all three times he was wearing the same clothes with a wooden cross necklace. Maybe it's Jesus testing my patience?  :unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, honky kong said:

I've run into the same guy three times in the last two weeks that just doesn't give a ####. I saw him two weeks in a row at the grocery store even though I went on different days and I stopped in PetSmart today to get dog food. I'm getting in line, he walks in the door and passes by me, maybe a foot away. I looked around like I was being pranked.  And I know it's the same guy because all three times he was wearing the same clothes with a wooden cross necklace. Maybe it's Jesus testing my patience?  :unsure:

I feel like there should be something we should do when people like this put lives in danger, but all of the options sound horrible when it's time to actually say something

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, honky kong said:

I've run into the same guy three times in the last two weeks that just doesn't give a ####. I saw him two weeks in a row at the grocery store even though I went on different days and I stopped in PetSmart today to get dog food. I'm getting in line, he walks in the door and passes by me, maybe a foot away. I looked around like I was being pranked.  And I know it's the same guy because all three times he was wearing the same clothes with a wooden cross necklace. Maybe it's Jesus testing my patience?  :unsure:

you're worried about a guy walking past you? not sure i'd spend too much time worrying about that to be honest

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tool said:

you're worried about a guy walking past you? not sure i'd spend too much time worrying about that to be honest

I'm not worried about it. I thought it was weird and I think he's at best oblivious to what's going on, but "worry" doesn't enter into it for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bostonfred said:

I saw a guy in his 50s at the store today, no mandatory mask, no mandatory gloves, walking the wrong way through the store when they had signs telling people to go a certain direction, walking way closer than six feet after waiting in a socially distanced line just to get into the store, and demand shredded cheese from a masked store employee who did nothing to stop him.  He just apologized that they were out of shredded cheese but had a huge cheese selection if you wanted to shred your own.  So the guy stormed off, again passing all the people waiting in line and following the rules.  

That guy, even if it's just one guy out of one hundred, is why it's not safe to go to stores.  I'm wearing a mask that protects him, but he's endangering me. 

Why are gloves mandatory?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, honky kong said:

I'm not worried about it. I thought it was weird and I think he's at best oblivious to what's going on, but "worry" doesn't enter into it for me.

when i'm at the grocery store people are walking by each other all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bostonfred said:

I saw a guy in his 50s at the store today, no mandatory mask, no mandatory gloves, walking the wrong way through the store when they had signs telling people to go a certain direction, walking way closer than six feet after waiting in a socially distanced line just to get into the store, and demand shredded cheese from a masked store employee who did nothing to stop him.  He just apologized that they were out of shredded cheese but had a huge cheese selection if you wanted to shred your own.  So the guy stormed off, again passing all the people waiting in line and following the rules.  

That guy, even if it's just one guy out of one hundred, is why it's not safe to go to stores.  I'm wearing a mask that protects him, but he's endangering me. 

There is the problem. Rules are useless if they aren't enforced. If your state isn't willing to enforce the mandates, then why bother making them? Our grocery store turns these people away before they even enter the store. Not sure why any state doesn't do this.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

I feel like there should be something we should do when people like this put lives in danger, but all of the options sound horrible when it's time to actually say something

Tell him your positive for Covid-19, then cough and turn your head.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's unraveling quickly here in Florida.  While people ARE walking around masked now more than ever, they aren't staying away from each other in the stores.  It's maddening and pretty much why it's not wise to "open up" at this point but I don't see it stopping.  Our state was never really "locked down" from an individual perspective.  Golf course, parks etc are open except for on the beaches.  The only "public" things generally closed are the playgrounds for kids.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Governor plans to speak today on the POSSIBILITY of opening somethings up. Just the fact he is speaking, people in our neighborhoods are already forgetting everything they know. Our neighbor down the street had a pool party. Across from my father-in-laws, the neighbor was having a front yard BBQ for a birthday or graduation or something. Yard just packed, no masks, no distancing. We've done so well keeping this thing down, but I can see in the end, it is all going to go for naught. People are going to take the results of the efforts we made as proof the whole thing was overblown and just end up making it ten times worse, despite the Mayor's warning to just that effect.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

That was my fault.  I meant to write not mandatory but my eyes saw the no not mandatory gloves and changed it before i hit submit post. 

Gloves aren't mandatory but aren't a bad idea as long as they're used correctly

The catch.. it is damn hard tp use them correctly.  And while you seem meticulous enough to pull it off, the vast vast majority cant.

Not to mention the gloves are redundant.  Your skin is resistant and not a way for the virus to enter your body.  Wash your hands and most (all) of the perceived benefit of gloves are achieved.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tool said:
13 hours ago, honky kong said:

I'm not worried about it. I thought it was weird and I think he's at best oblivious to what's going on, but "worry" doesn't enter into it for me.

when i'm at the grocery store people are walking by each other all the time.

until aisles are wider than 6', of course. which is never. but are masks mandatory in your state?

this is a pet peeve thread. a person willfully ignoring rules set up for the community and other people's health... yeah- I get that being bothersome. strange to me that anybody would even tacitly support this behavior.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

until aisles are wider than 6', of course. which is never. but are masks mandatory in your state?

this is a pet peeve thread. a person willfully ignoring rules set up for the community and other people's health... yeah- I get that being bothersome. strange to me that anybody would even tacitly support this behavior.

I guess I support people who walk by someone in a grocery store 

masks are not required by state where I live. Cities in the state have specific rules but not in city I’m in

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tool said:

I guess I support people who walk by someone in a grocery store 

masks are not required by state where I live. Cities in the state have specific rules but not in city I’m in

if masks were required- and the same guy wasn't wearing one... you'd be cool with him shopping at the same store as you and willfully disregarding the public health/good? not even pet-peeve worthy? 

eta: either you missed the lede- which is that this guy is repeatedly not wearing a mask in public where 6' isn't a possibility... or you don't seem to care. I can't tell tbh.

Edited by El Floppo
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Our Governor plans to speak today on the POSSIBILITY of opening somethings up. Just the fact he is speaking, people in our neighborhoods are already forgetting everything they know. Our neighbor down the street had a pool party. Across from my father-in-laws, the neighbor was having a front yard BBQ for a birthday or graduation or something. Yard just packed, no masks, no distancing. We've done so well keeping this thing down, but I can see in the end, it is all going to go for naught. People are going to take the results of the efforts we made as proof the whole thing was overblown and just end up making it ten times worse, despite the Mayor's warning to just that effect.

And the people doing this will face no consequences and never admit that what they did was wrong. 

But the worst part is

Trillions of dollars in spending. 

Unprecedented number of jobs lost. 

Untold economic impact

Inconvenience and sacrifice

All wasted, after it was finally having an impact.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

And the people doing this will face no consequences and never admit that what they did was wrong. 

But the worst part is

Trillions of dollars in spending. 

Unprecedented number of jobs lost. 

Untold economic impact

Inconvenience and sacrifice

All wasted, after it was finally having an impact.  

Your hyperbole is not helping things here.  Shutting down allowed us to slow the curve and better prepare hospitals on how to treat the virus and get the neccessary equipment.  We are entering the next phase of easing back to normal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

if masks were required- and the same guy wasn't wearing one... you'd be cool with him shopping at the same store as you and willfully disregarding the public health/good? not even pet-peeve worthy? 

eta: either you missed the lede- which is that this guy is repeatedly not wearing a mask in public where 6' isn't a possibility... or you don't seem to care. I can't tell tbh.

Maybe I missed all the details if he’s required to wear a mask he should do so 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

meat shortages - these are going to be real.. aren't they?

Yes, shopping is kind of playing a video game of pacman, but instead of a video game it is real life and each dot represents what you came to the store for and instead of avoid  blobby ghost things you have to stay 6 feet away from people who have no sense of distance or self awareness or frankly, just don't care. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday, I went to Sam's Club during their special hours for HCW. It was glorious! People spaced out appropriately, no crowding; shelves were (almost) fully stocked. And, best of all, I was able to grab toilet paper AND paper towels! Felt like I beat a boss level in a video game and got a massive ultra-rare loot drop.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Angry Beavers said:

meat shortages - these are going to be real.. aren't they?

Yes, shopping is kind of playing a video game of pacman, but instead of a video game it is real life and each dot represents what you came to the store for and instead of avoid  blobby ghost things you have to stay 6 feet away from people who have no sense of distance or self awareness or frankly, just don't care. 

I’ve been buying some extra ground beef and chicken every time I go to the store just in case

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Angry Beavers said:

meat shortages - these are going to be real.. aren't they?

Somewhat. The media frenzy will make hoarding worse. I think Tyson and the food processors are painting an ultra gloomy picture to minimize the time they're shutdown.

A report I saw said that some empty shelves might be seen but it more like we're out of pork but we have chicken. Basically intermittent outage for some products. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

went to Walmart today. 

lots of empty shelves (none of the usuals, and far less meat), but still lots of stuff available. everybody in masks.

they had added direction markers for the side aisles so that they were essentially one way traffic "enter here", "exit here". solid idea to minimize head-on interactions. wife and I noticed those signs on our way to the check out. :bag: 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, El Floppo said:

went to Walmart today. 

lots of empty shelves (none of the usuals, and far less meat), but still lots of stuff available. everybody in masks.

they had added direction markers for the side aisles so that they were essentially one way traffic "enter here", "exit here". solid idea to minimize head-on interactions. wife and I noticed those signs on our way to the check out. :bag: 

Haven't been to a store in a couple weeks, but I've been shocked to see the "one way arrows" haven't been utilized here.  Hoping that when I go next, this is implemented.  Super-easy way to keep clear of one another right now.

----

Meat is going to be hard to come by soon, I fear.  Even more so than it is now.  My poor boy eats chicken nuggets like they're going out of style.  He may need to figure out another dinner option real quick here.  :(  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

Haven't been to a store in a couple weeks, but I've been shocked to see the "one way arrows" haven't been utilized here.  Hoping that when I go next, this is implemented.  Super-easy way to keep clear of one another right now.

----

Meat is going to be hard to come by soon, I fear.  Even more so than it is now.  My poor boy eats chicken nuggets like they're going out of style.  He may need to figure out another dinner option real quick here.  :(  

they're in place down here.  i'd Say about 30% dgaf, or don't notice, the GIANT RED SIGNS, EVERY 6 FEET.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Angry Beavers said:

meat shortages - these are going to be real.. aren't they?

Yes, shopping is kind of playing a video game of pacman, but instead of a video game it is real life and each dot represents what you came to the store for and instead of avoid  blobby ghost things you have to stay 6 feet away from people who have no sense of distance or self awareness or frankly, just don't care. 

Just happened to be in our Sam's this last weekend, early Sat morning for my once a month shop.  It was a pretty much stocked store, but I heard the butcher and another guy talking and there's no question that there will be less pork.  He felt they'd still get product, just less of it.  Didn't believe it would be a complete shutdown.  He didn't seem all that concerned about beef or chicken, though chicken was tough to come by a month or so ago....not really sure why.  We buy whole chickens and roast or smoke them most of the time and there didn't seem to be a shortage of those ever.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Just happened to be in our Sam's this last weekend, early Sat morning for my once a month shop.  It was a pretty much stocked store, but I heard the butcher and another guy talking and there's no question that there will be less pork.  He felt they'd still get product, just less of it.  Didn't believe it would be a complete shutdown.  He didn't seem all that concerned about beef or chicken, though chicken was tough to come by a month or so ago....not really sure why.  We buy whole chickens and roast or smoke them most of the time and there didn't seem to be a shortage of those ever.

A month ago almost everything was hard to find when the shut downs started and people were hoarding. I think people are back to more of a regular shopping because the people who hoarded already have their extra freezers and storage closets full and not that many people have extra fridges and such.

Also, you are right on the pork. If you read a lot the Tyson plant, it’s pork, not chicken or beef. The media, who always loves to pander to paranoia to get more clicks and views, calls it a meat shortage because if they called it a pork shortage most people outside of BBQ lovers aren’t going to care. I could live without pork for months. I got a couple packages of bacon from Costco and that’s all we ever need. Kids don’t usually get excited when my wife cooks pork tenderloins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

they're in place down here.  i'd Say about 30% dgaf, or don't notice, the GIANT RED SIGNS, EVERY 6 FEET.

You're in South OC yeah?  Laguna Hills?

I am going to Target sometime this week.  Will report back.  :D  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost a jar of pasta sauce out the front of my cart today. Put it in the seat and didn't realize the hole in the front of the cart was bigger than the jar. Thing fell out and splattered all over the floor right near the self-check out.  I was moving so stepped right in the puddle of sauce with my right foot. My foot slid forward and almost wiped out. Pretty much did the splits and hung on to the cart for dear life. Sauce all over my shoes and legs. First time I ever broke something in a store like that. Guys working there were cool and came right over, said not to worry about it but I couldn't move because I had sauce on the bottom of my shoe. Would have tracked it all over the store if I walked away. The gave me some of those brown, industrial paper towels and I wiped it off the best I could. It was a bottle of Rao's too. $9/jar. Felt pretty bad. Just got done cleaning my shoes. As if grocery shopping these days isn't enough of a ####show.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stbugs said:

A month ago almost everything was hard to find when the shut downs started and people were hoarding. I think people are back to more of a regular shopping because the people who hoarded already have their extra freezers and storage closets full and not that many people have extra fridges and such.

Also, you are right on the pork. If you read a lot the Tyson plant, it’s pork, not chicken or beef. The media, who always loves to pander to paranoia to get more clicks and views, calls it a meat shortage because if they called it a pork shortage most people outside of BBQ lovers aren’t going to care. I could live without pork for months. I got a couple packages of bacon from Costco and that’s all we ever need. Kids don’t usually get excited when my wife cooks pork tenderloins.

Yeah, the sensationalism will cause runs on everything unfortunately.  We don't do a lot of ground beef, but I told the wife that while in the stores to get the ground chicken/turkey when she sees it because once the run on ground beef begins, it will filter over into the others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 3:11 PM, Nigel said:

Do I need to purchase every avocado I give the squeeze-test to? Asking for a friend.  :oldunsure:

Nope.  Just grab a plastic bag that it's going to go in anyways and stick your hand in it. Then squeeze thru the bag like you are picking up dog #### to as many avocados as you like. When you find the one you want,  pull the bag over and wala, you are all set.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there's a mask wearing requirement here, but almost everyone I saw was wearing one. This morning, I paid and was walking to the store exit when I saw a guy talking to the kid bagging his groceries, about 2-3 feet between them. I noticed from a distance that the guy had his mask pulled down below his nose. When I got closer, I could see he actually had it pulled below his lips too.

:shrug:

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, brun said:

I don't think there's a mask wearing requirement here, but almost everyone I saw was wearing one. This morning, I paid and was walking to the store exit when I saw a guy talking to the kid bagging his groceries, about 2-3 feet between them. I noticed from a distance that the guy had his mask pulled down below his nose. When I got closer, I could see he actually had it pulled below his lips too.

:shrug:

Unfortunately this virus doesn't just strike the stupid. Others are forced to suffer on their behalf.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to go shopping this week, hit up 3 stores, and still a little surprised at the distinct differences in them.  

Costco 1st and by far the best for protection - markers for 6' at check out, all the employees in masks, probably about 90%+ of the people wearing masks.   Target next, similar employee protection, but probably closer to 5050 as far as customers wearing them.   Woodman's last (bigger grocery store), and I would be surprised if it was 25% of the customers wearing masks.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought chicken like this from a different company that has since gone out of business. But if you are driving distance to Atlanta this may be a great option for you. 
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/metro-farm-holding-online-chicken-sale/OCHIJGU66FGAHO3WZCKQR7PO64/

If you create an account to place an order use a metro Atlanta zip code. I used to buy 3-4 40 pound boxes. It would last us 6 months til the next delivery timeframe. We would separate the boxes into freezer bags and prepare them in a couple different ways. It was such an awesome deal for us. I was so sad when zaycon went out of business. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...