What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grocery store talk - pandemic edition (2 Viewers)

I HATE the one way aisles and stopped going to the store that does it. First of all not everyone follows it so it's pointless and that stresses me out how inconsiderate people are. However,  I follow the arrows but if you forget something down an aisle it's a pain to go back and get it. So that just adds to my stress. 

I have now gone to a key food by my house that nobody goes to because they are more expensive than anywhere else. No lines to get in the store, no one way aisles, fully stocked, and store is pretty empty. I wear my mask and socially distance and shopping now feels normal and stress free again. 

Had to go shopping this week, hit up 3 stores, and still a little surprised at the distinct differences in them.  

Costco 1st and by far the best for protection - markers for 6' at check out, all the employees in masks, probably about 90%+ of the people wearing masks.   Target next, similar employee protection, but probably closer to 5050 as far as customers wearing them.   Woodman's last (bigger grocery store), and I would be surprised if it was 25% of the customers wearing masks.  
There are still stores that don't require masks? Wtf?

I HATE the one way aisles and stopped going to the store that does it. First of all not everyone follows it so it's pointless and that stresses me out how inconsiderate people are. However,  I follow the arrows but if you forget something down an aisle it's a pain to go back and get it. So that just adds to my stress. 

I have now gone to a key food by my house that nobody goes to because they are more expensive than anywhere else. No lines to get in the store, no one way aisles, fully stocked, and store is pretty empty. I wear my mask and socially distance and shopping now feels normal and stress free again. 
This is me. Found a store that is open until 9pm and after 8:15pm i am the only person in the store. It is amazing. Paying 10% more roughly, but so worth it. 

Today I have to make a target run to get allergy meds. Hope that isnt terrible. 

I do 90% curbside pickup. People are just too clueless and self-centered. Thankfully everyone wears a mask here in PA. One of the things that annoys me the most nowadays is the couples shopping. Especially the ones that are obviously just there because they're bored. The grocery store is no longer a place for socializing and tasting samples. We don't need extra people in the already confined space. It only takes one person per household to buy groceries.  :rant:

One of the things that annoys me the most nowadays is the couples shopping. Especially the ones that are obviously just there because they're bored. The grocery store is no longer a place for socializing and tasting samples. We don't need extra people in the already confined space. It only takes one person per household to buy groceries.  :rant:
THIS. 

Even worse is couples with kids. Why wouldn’t one parent go shopping, and the other stay home with their kids???

*** Last post prior to this one was on May 7, 2020 ***

Was curious how all this was still going for everyone. Any grocery-wiping still happening? UV chambers in use? Anything like that?

Around here, the places that had one-way aisles gave up about a month ago. One-way aisles only had a hope of working in stores strictly limiting number of customers. Regular number of customers + one-way aisles = congestion and spending much more time in a store. More shoppers than not do at least some comparison-shopping on every trip, so an extra minute or three might be spent at any point in the store. Usually, there wouldn't be space to pass this person, so all the fastidious one-way people had to stew until the conga line started moving again. Or else just break the rule. Glad that's all gone.

I rarely wipe down groceries anymore, though my wife still feels it's necessary. However, she never really handles the groceries ... so I'll wipe down items on her request if she asks me. Commonly, it's when she's opening a 2-liter bottle or a box of something -- "Did you wipe this down?" "Oh, I forgot that one, I think ... let me give it a quick wipe".

Last edited by a moderator:

Was curious how all this was still going for everyone. Any grocery-wiping still happening? UV chambers in use? Anything like that?

Around here, the places that had one-way aisles gave up about a month ago. One-way aisles only had a hope of working in stores strictly limiting number of customers. Regular number of customers + one-way aisles = congestion and spending much more time in a store. More shoppers than not do at least some comparison-shopping on every trip, so an extra minute or three might be spent at any point in the store. Usually, there wouldn't be space to pass this person, so all the fastidious one-way people had to stew until the conga line started moving again. Or else just break the rule. Glad that's all gone.

I rarely wipe down groceries anymore, though my wife still feels it's necessary. However, she never really handles the groceries ... so I'll wipe down items on her request if she asks me. Commonly, it's when she's opening a 2-liter bottle or a box of something -- "Did you wipe this down?" "Oh, I forgot that one, I think ... let me give it a quick wipe".
I sort of wiped things down and was very careful early on, but not in months have I been that anal. I will wash my hands and use sanitizer after I load stuff in the car or bring things inside and still instinctively try not to touch things. For instance, I will open the car door and do the sanitizer before taking off my mask as I reuse them for a few store in and outs (I never stay long and generally try to avoid being close). I’ll sanitize after I load the car as well. Even deliveries I’ll try to open and carry with one hand and take stuff out and put the box in the recycling bin and wash my hands.

I try to still be “smart” but I never wipe down packages. At this point, I figure that if people were getting it from groceries or Amazon then we’d have a lot more anecdotal evidence versus people getting it from parties or having family over. I think that Amazon and grocery stores are being careful enough that even if there was actually a tiny bit of virus on the packages, it’s likely not enough to infect anyone as long as they are routinely sanitizing/washing their hands. It’s not worth the whole routines we read about some people doing in here. I couldn’t imagine going to that level even when we didn’t know enough let alone doing it 8 months later.

Yes, I still wipe down groceries. Yes, I'm aware that it's unlikely to matter. But my family is entirely wfh/remote learning, so i'm still taking precautions the few times we do go out.  And yes, there are cases of surface transmission- new Zealand has had two incidents where asymptomatic people touched a trash can and an elevator button and the elevator spread to 71 people. If I worked with people during the day, I probably would not bother, but the small effort to reduce one of the few risks we take is totally worth it to me. 

I go to the gas station, bank machine, etc. I wash my hands immediately after with hand sanitizer and again when I get home, and wear a mask. I take my kid for walks and we wear masks and avoid people. 

I still don't go anywhere indoors except to the grocery store or occasionally a quick stop at home depot or Walmart. Have gotten takeout three times since March, all in rural areas. Will be getting takeout this week and my kid is very excited about it.

I've also lost weight which should help if I do get sick. Cutting out takeout helped a lot. I'm trying to make the most of this time. 

Our bubble includes my in laws and my mom. We're both careful with our moms who are both in their 70s. We bring them groceries so they don't have to shop. We aren't getting enough social time for my son but there aren't many good opportunities even if we didn't take precautions because he's got special needs and play dates can be challenging.  We're focused on building his language skills, sense of humor and social skills with us,, and getting him past the little kid shows phase and into more appropriate content.

Yes, I still wipe down groceries. Yes, I'm aware that it's unlikely to matter. But my family is entirely wfh/remote learning, so i'm still taking precautions the few times we do go out.  And yes, there are cases of surface transmission- new Zealand has had two incidents where asymptomatic people touched a trash can and an elevator button and the elevator spread to 71 people. If I worked with people during the day, I probably would not bother, but the small effort to reduce one of the few risks we take is totally worth it to me. 

I go to the gas station, bank machine, etc. I wash my hands immediately after with hand sanitizer and again when I get home, and wear a mask. I take my kid for walks and we wear masks and avoid people. 

I still don't go anywhere indoors except to the grocery store or occasionally a quick stop at home depot or Walmart. Have gotten takeout three times since March, all in rural areas. Will be getting takeout this week and my kid is very excited about it.

I've also lost weight which should help if I do get sick. Cutting out takeout helped a lot. I'm trying to make the most of this time. 

Our bubble includes my in laws and my mom. We're both careful with our moms who are both in their 70s. We bring them groceries so they don't have to shop. We aren't getting enough social time for my son but there aren't many good opportunities even if we didn't take precautions because he's got special needs and play dates can be challenging.  We're focused on building his language skills, sense of humor and social skills with us,, and getting him past the little kid shows phase and into more appropriate content.
According to this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rnz.co.nz/article/43ec2951-2fb8-4aa6-8df3-dc6922e71083

It doesn’t seem definitive that it was the trash can just that it had to be opened so it was likely. It mentions 1 person on an elevator as a possibility as well. Definitely think it is possible but wouldn’t it also be possible to be in the air? I mean the maintenance worker rode the elevator right after the person who was infected. It’s a pretty small enclosed space. I don’t see anything about 71 people.

Also the rubbish bin was at a facility where people were being quarantined, not a store and an elevator is about as bad a “room” as you can get. It’s definitely possible but if you are washing hands and sanitizing, the chance that you get the virus on contact is almost negligible. I think if it was even remotely common, you wouldn’t have to Google and find two random cases in New Zealand where people were also in enclosed areas with infected people. I think the containers at a grocery store and deliveries are probably two of the lowest risk transmissions.

By the way, kudos to you for being as careful as you are. I’m very much trying to avoid things and trying to keep my family being smart. I just want this whole thing over and don’t want to get it.

According to this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rnz.co.nz/article/43ec2951-2fb8-4aa6-8df3-dc6922e71083

It doesn’t seem definitive that it was the trash can just that it had to be opened so it was likely. It mentions 1 person on an elevator as a possibility as well. Definitely think it is possible but wouldn’t it also be possible to be in the air? I mean the maintenance worker rode the elevator right after the person who was infected. It’s a pretty small enclosed space. I don’t see anything about 71 people.

Also the rubbish bin was at a facility where people were being quarantined, not a store and an elevator is about as bad a “room” as you can get. It’s definitely possible but if you are washing hands and sanitizing, the chance that you get the virus on contact is almost negligible. I think if it was even remotely common, you wouldn’t have to Google and find two random cases in New Zealand where people were also in enclosed areas with infected people. I think the containers at a grocery store and deliveries are probably two of the lowest risk transmissions.

By the way, kudos to you for being as careful as you are. I’m very much trying to avoid things and trying to keep my family being smart. I just want this whole thing over and don’t want to get it.
They don't consider aerosol spread. So if they get to watch CCTV footage of all the interactions and they don't ever come within 1.5 meters of each other, they will then start looking to see what they each touched. Boom, elevator button, surface transmission!!!!

One way aisles are dumb.  If I need to get something in an aisle that is not in the direction I'm going, I'm supposed to go down the adjacent aisle and loop all the way around, passing more people than I would have if I had just gone down the original aisle.  

Never even considered wiping anything down.  I wear a mask to stores, etc 100% of the time., and wash my hands and use hand sanitizer before/after going.

I can't even tell you how badly I want this to just be OVER.

We still Instacart everything. Haven’t been in a store since March. If it wasn’t for the older people in our family I’d feel ok going but we need our moms for child care and I can’t risk getting them sick so I pay the fees and tips. I feel good about tipping these drivers anyways. 

Wife still wipes down the groceries but I think it’s ridiculous. However it makes her feel safe so I don’t say anything. 

They [in New Zealand] don't consider aerosol spread. So if they get to watch CCTV footage of all the interactions and they don't ever come within 1.5 meters of each other, they will then start looking to see what they each touched. Boom, elevator button, surface transmission!!!!
There's a contingent of NZ posters on another board that are emotionally invested in their local COVID matters. Every time NZ gets one of their mini-outbreaks, they go into a full-court press on that board saying "There's no community spread in NZ! We're perfect! Some foreigners brought it in! Just like always!!!"

Same guys are also heavily invested in the dominance of fomite spread. Also invested in the idea that foreign seafood, produce, etc. are the root cause of their local cases. And you're right -- they rail against the idea of aerosol spread.

No way any of us believe you do this if you don't even shower daily.
Touche'.  But at least I have proper deodorant/anti-perspirant now.  

But yeah, now that I think about it I think I've been using less and less hand sanitizer.  I do wash my hands often.    :D

I don't see any stores doing the one-way direction any more.  No stores are limiting customers other than carry-out places.  

We don't wipe anything down.

I don't see any stores doing the one-way direction any more.  No stores are limiting customers other than carry-out places.  

Our store still has the arrows but nobody follows them, never did.  I actually re-routed my normal routine to go the opposite direction, still don’t like it.  Might just say to hell with it next time and go whatever way I want next time

Our store still has the arrows but nobody follows them, never did.  I actually re-routed my normal routine to go the opposite direction, still don’t like it.  Might just say to hell with it next time and go whatever way I want next time
I still walk following the arrows. Which is dumb because I just get mad at all the people that dont then. Tell myself every time, this is the time. 

Nope. 

I only use instacart and I absolutely still wipe down or put my groceries in a uv-c chamber.  I also disinfect my phone, remote controls, ipad and mail in the uv chamber While a majority of the spread is still most likely caused through respiratory droplets--there has been peer reviewed studies that came out last week that show that the virus can last up to 28 days on surfaces.   They actually conducted these studies in the dark as the scientists concede that uv light does kill the virus--in case some of you are thinking about investing in a uv chamber.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/virus-that-causes-covid-19-can-survive-for-28-days-on-surfaces-research-says.html

The cdc also finally admitted that the virus is somewhat aerosolized --so be careful going into stores.  If you have access to an N-95 mask when you are in places with lot of people--its a good idea to wear one.  As time goes by and they find out more about the virus--a couple things are becoming more transparent.  The disease spreads really fast and is highly transmissible. Frankly--its an easy disease to get if you aren't diligent.  On the other hand--it does seem like doctors and scientists are learning how to treat it better with each passing day--so the mortality rates should drop.   I am more careful than I was before--but I was so diligent before--that the steps I take have become second nature.  I even got a cordless atomizer (its a machine that basically takes sterilizing liquids and turns them into a fog/fine mist) that allows me to sterilize larger items and surfaces very quickly.   I know that being diligent can be annoying--but the next couple of months are very important when it comes to trying to control the spread of it. 

Groceries/Shopping:
We don't really wipe them down groceries or packages much anymore. We do wash any produce as usual. I use Kroger Clicklist for most groceries but still end up inside a couple times a month. I wear a mask and have zero anxiety about it. I keep a pump bottle of sanitizer in the door of my car and use it any time I re-enter.... then wait 20-30 seconds before touching anything else. I have no issues with going to various retail stores (Home depot, bass pro, costco, etc). Just wear a mask and sanitize hands anytime there's a bottle in the store, and once upon returning to the car. 

Masks:
I've been reusing a lot of the same ones. I keep basic paper ones in my back pocket at all times. They go on the dash to get some sun when I take them off. I've not used an N95 mask in months, except for when flying. 

Dining: 
We stick more to patios, but indoor places with good distancing and high ceilings have been in our repertoire for months now without issue. Keeping distance, always putting a mask on when crossing the room / using the bathroom / etc. Set a small bottle of sanitizer on the table to use as needed. 

Bars / Going out: 
Have gone out quite a few times with friends. One buddy who goes out a lot caught COVIDbut I thinks it was from direct contact with a girl he was hooking up with. I generally shoot for patios or tables off to the side away from main traffic areas. I don't mind handshakes with friends if they offer, just use sanitizer afterward. 

shuke said:

There are still arrows at my grocery store but I just assume they are too lazy to remove them. People just do their thing and give each other space.

We are still curbside with all groceries, but we were curbside before any of this began. It just is too convenient. Same thing with liquor--call ahead--they wheel it out. I used to wipe everything down and we have gotten away from that. We have our dairy/cheese/bread delivered weekly by a local place. We use Omaha steaks a couple times a month. 

I haven't been in a Walmart/Sam's since March. I went in our local supermarket once to get my daughter some groceries right as this whole mess began and then once to get a bag of ice, but other than that, no way.

We carry out everything as far as eating out food. The one time we tried to sit down at a patio dining place was when we visited our daughter at college. We wipe the table down. We wipe the chairs down. We have masks. Wife and daughter went inside and got the food--spread it out on the table. First a bee shows up--no biggie, but my 16 year old daughter is really scared of them--so not a good start. Then here comes a wasp--followed by another one and another one--yellow jackets. They are all in our food, landing all over us. Then comes another strain of wasps--the red ones with the long spindly legs. That one sits right on my daughter's hand and she loses it. We are trying to get the food together while trying not to swat at these things, but they are all over us. I can just imagine the show we were putting on for the people sitting inside eating and watching us. Not a good scene. 

I have gone to Loews twice, but only at 6:00 am when they open. I have to get propane you know. 

I do sneak out to my favorite sports card shop a couple times a month, but it is never crowded. 

There is nothing I can't get from Amazon. We are close to one of their distribution centers, so very often most items are here the next day. I ordered algae wafers for our massive plecostomus fish last night at 6:00 and they will be here this afternoon. I ordered a pulse ox last week late at night--it was here by noon the next day. The fun thing is Amazon is finishing building the largest distribution center they have ever built in the US a few miles from my house. This thing is the size of a football stadium. I can't imagine how quick we will get things when that is done. 

Yep, I enjoy the pandemic life. 

Masks:
I've been reusing a lot of the same ones. I keep basic paper ones in my back pocket at all times. They go on the dash to get some sun when I take them off. I've not used an N95 mask in months, except for when flying. 
I am sure you know this already, but you can clean N95 masks at home and even recharge the static charge. Surgical masks too. 

I am still the primary grocery person.  I go myself 1-2 times/week.  We eat a lot of meat and produce and I do the cooking and like to pick out the meat and produce so we haven't given into the curbside/delivery grocery option.  I sanitize during the grocery run and then wash my hands when groceries are put away.  

I go early in the morning on the weekend and can usually get in and out in under 30 minutes because I know the layout of the store and make a detailed list (in store order) before I go.  

Never wiped down groceries.

Like others, my primary grocery store has given up on the one way aisles.  

We are doing more Amazon shopping for stuff that we don't want at a grocery store. Toothpaste, lotions, etc.  

We used to leave packages in the garage for a few days.  Now we generally open them right away and wash hands after.

We still have yet to eat at a restaurant, even during a week-long vacation.  We do take out/curbside/delivery once a week or less.  

Is this the new normal?  I can live with it, but I am ready for this to be over also.  I miss live events.  

We still have yet to eat at a restaurant, even during a week-long vacation.  We do take out/curbside/delivery once a week or less. 
We broke the take-out seal for our household about a month ago. So far, I think we're up to six take-out meals.

We've driven to this one new Thai place my wife really wants to try. Checked it out twice to see about eating inside Twice we've arrived, gone through their parking lot, only for my wife to make the call: "Too many cars. Too busy - can't go today."

We've had a few other episodes like that in recent weeks -- get excited about finally going into a restaurant to eat, only to chicken out upon arrival. She really wants to be the only table in the place ... as soon as another table would walk in, she'd be nervous and expecting to contract insta-COVID.

We broke the take-out seal for our household about a month ago. So far, I think we're up to six take-out meals.

We've driven to this one new Thai place my wife really wants to try. Checked it out twice to see about eating inside Twice we've arrived, gone through their parking lot, only for my wife to make the call: "Too many cars. Too busy - can't go today."

We've had a few other episodes like that in recent weeks -- get excited about finally going into a restaurant to eat, only to chicken out upon arrival. She really wants to be the only table in the place ... as soon as another table would walk in, she'd be nervous and expecting to contract insta-COVID.
Got just the place for you...

the numbers have been really low in my area of NYC, so we're being careful but less so than we were. 

We're all moving around and into stores without thinking about it. Always wear masks, as does 90% of the people I see walking around outside. Everybody wears them inside stores...and most people tend to be pretty conscientious about maintaining distance inside. Excerpt the millennials. We also wipe with sanitizer after every move outdoors.

But we've stopped wiping everything down groceries and have been shopping more in stores instead of full delivery. Have even eaten at outside restaurants.  

I feel bad for those working under all these conditions. Doing your job with a mask on 8 hours a day while surrounded by customers sometimes crowding you and not always wearing a mask themselves. Most of these workers had no idea when they got hired this would be the end result.

Try 3-4 pm on a Sunday

As some who works in a grocery store my experience is way different and maybe can put an employee/store POV on all of this. 

Masks/Limitations of #s:

We have a counter and because of store size we can fit 340 or so in capacity right now. I still feel thats too much but with things not as crazy as before it's not so bad. When we had all the craziness the number was at 200 which I thought was way too big. Went down to 150 and even then felt too much as customers blocked main isles so social distancing couldn't happen

Numerous people still come in without masks or not wearing them right. Our company told us we can't engage customers anymore (After several incidents around the country turning violent) and to tell security or management on duty instead to handle it. I still once and awhile will go up to the customer with their mask down talking on the phone politely tell them if they are gonna be in here on the phone mask needs to be put up. They can gladly go outside and have the mask off and finish their convo and we can watch their stuff for them. Also too many people take it down or pull it forward to talk. Just speak louder and we can hear you with the mask on. Most of the time its people who forget them. My one customer is on oxygen so he doesn't wear a mask which is ok but he said another store gives him a hard time about it. He's an older guy kind of reminds me of my Pop-Pop and I told him next time he goes to that store bring me and I'll make sure its handled. He even has a health card from the Health Attorney of the state saying he can't wear a mask if on the oxygen. 

Gloves:

JUST DON'T WEAR THEM YOU ARE SPREADING MORE GERMS AND PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY DISPOSE OF THEM ANYWAY!!!!!! Even the CDC and health professionals including my own DR has said not to wear them

Social Distancing and one way signs:

We've literally given up on this unless the customer is really invading someones personal space. People don't listen and honestly we'd need like 3-4 people just policing the check out lanes to enforce it. However we still enforce that customers can't cut over from Closed registers. This is because when they walk down that lane the back of a cashier is there. It's to protect the cashier as well you as to not cut across like that. 

ID expiring for being carded for certain items

I live in PA so our liquor laws are so backwards. Besides that we card for Cigs and other stuff like Cannibis oil. Because our state DMV's are open we cannot take an expired license anymore (State said while they were closed expired licenses we could take). We found out DMV would open in Aug so after finding that out we reminded numerous customers about license expirations or bringing in another form of ID like Military or Passport. To this day I still get the occasional person who thinks we're idiots saying they couldn't get to the DMV. It's Mid October the lines for the DMV probably aren't as packed as they were in July. You can fill all the paperwork online and if you are lucky the state just sends you a new ID with the old picture in the mail and you don't have to go to the DMV. 

Grocery shopping:

If you can just don't touch items you aren't gonna get. You spread more germs that way. I also still see too many people who cut into the express isle with more then express items. If the sign says 10 or less or 15 or less your 20 Things of canned cat food count as 20 items and the other 10 items count as well so you have 30. Be considerate. I know there's some longer lines still but be considerate of your neighbors and community members. Also the cashier has to hear it from other shoppers with express items and makes the whole thing bad. 

Talk with store employees (What to and what not to say or discuss)

Say hi to the cashier or clerk stocking especially if you know them. Ask how they are doing with all of this and if you can maybe if there's anything they could do to help the situation. Store Managers and directors and Supervisors love when a customer comes up to them and wants to fill out a form for an employee who did a great job or should be considered for something like a free lunch. This also helps the store and can also get them more hours for help and possible open more lanes up knowing customers want to shop there. 

Leave your political BS at home. We don't need to hear it. We're there to do our jobs we don't need your babbling about Joe Biden this or Trump That or this whole thing is a hoax etc etc. You want to talk about yesterdays game or something like that cool, ask how the family is doing etc go ahead. 

Be respectful to other customers and employees

Besides wearing a mask and correctly this is the most important thing. You having a bad day? Don't take it out on other customers or the employee. Have an issue ask for a manager. Complaining or yelling at an employee accomplishes nothing. 

As for personal My mom does the grocery shopping the most. I do it some low quality shopping. 

We only went out for my Birthday to a beer garden in summer. My mom's b-day my brother and his girlfriend moved to a new place so we had a small family open house/Mom's B-day as my dad isn't ready to go to a restaurant. 

My buddy I do stuff with is on unemployment and despite making more on unemployment we haven't done a dame thing yet 

I posted a link to that mask in the covid thread i think. I bought one for my wife. Not the biggest fan of the strap system, but other than that she likes it. 
That might have be where I heard of them then. I actually like the adjustable strap in the back, makes them fit better and they’re far more comfortable than any of the cloth masks I’ve tried. I also don’t have problems with my glasses fogging up. They’ve proven invaluable in our area with a lot of people not even bothering to wear masks anymore 😢

I am back to doing most everything "normally" except with a mask. I always used hand sanitizer or washed hands after touching shopping carts.

I think we have been out to dinner three times since March. Get carryout all the time. Haven't removed food from containers in months. 

WE probably go to the grocery store once a week. Costco every other week. Although I still use the drive up service for Target. 

I am back to doing most everything "normally" except with a mask. I always used hand sanitizer or washed hands after touching shopping carts.

I think we have been out to dinner three times since March. Get carryout all the time. Haven't removed food from containers in months. 

WE probably go to the grocery store once a week. Costco every other week. Although I still use the drive up service for Target. 
I don’t know why people don’t use Target drive up. It’s the best I’ve seen anywhere. Only Chick-fil-a rivals it because they both have apps that know when you are there. Target is a bit better because you can tell them you are coming and then it automatically lets them know you are in the parking lot. There is an employee putting stuff in the back of my car (having the automatic rear door is nice too) maybe 10 seconds after I pull into the spot. I think I’d spend more time just getting from my car to the entrance than I do if I order online.

I’m also mind boggled by the amount of takeout people haven’t done in this thread. We do take out all the time. We made so much food at home that we had to get takeout at times. My wife and I both work and I’m usually on lunch and breakfast duty so I’m rarely in the mood to make dinner every night. She works with folks on the West Coast so I couldn’t imagine not doing takeout. We’d have gone crazy at this point. There are many nights when we just look at each other and say I don’t want to cook.

DJackson10 said:
Social Distancing and one way signs:

We've literally given up on this unless the customer is really invading someones personal space. People don't listen and honestly we'd need like 3-4 people just policing the check out lanes to enforce it.
Thankfully, my grocery store got rid of these too.  These seemed reasonable at the time, but they were hard to follow consistently, and we know now that we don't need to worry about fleeting contact between people who are wearing masks.

I don’t know why people don’t use Target drive up. It’s the best I’ve seen anywhere. Only Chick-fil-a rivals it because they both have apps that know when you are there. Target is a bit better because you can tell them you are coming and then it automatically lets them know you are in the parking lot. There is an employee putting stuff in the back of my car (having the automatic rear door is nice too) maybe 10 seconds after I pull into the spot. I think I’d spend more time just getting from my car to the entrance than I do if I order online.

I’m also mind boggled by the amount of takeout people haven’t done in this thread. We do take out all the time. We made so much food at home that we had to get takeout at times. My wife and I both work and I’m usually on lunch and breakfast duty so I’m rarely in the mood to make dinner every night. She works with folks on the West Coast so I couldn’t imagine not doing takeout. We’d have gone crazy at this point. There are many nights when we just look at each other and say I don’t want to cook.
Target has the process down to a science. I've had the person walking to my car before I put it in park. 

Our local WalMart Fresh Market drive-up service is pretty much just like this. The only thing about it I don't like is that they can't handle "spontaneous" shopping. Like if I decide right now that I want a load of groceries, I can't go pick it up in an hour or two -- I'd have to wait until tomorrow morning. I still have to make one-off store trips, but for bulk, plannable shopping trips, it's a nice service.

How much lead time does Target drive-up need? Whoever eventually builds the mousetrap that allows for spontaneous, no-pre-planning curbside grocery pick-up will rake in the cash.

Our local WalMart Fresh Market drive-up service is pretty much just like this. The only thing about it I don't like is that they can't handle "spontaneous" shopping. Like if I decide right now that I want a load of groceries, I can't go pick it up in an hour or two -- I'd have to wait until tomorrow morning. I still have to make one-off store trips, but for bulk, plannable shopping trips, it's a nice service.

How much lead time does Target drive-up need? Whoever eventually builds the mousetrap that allows for spontaneous, no-pre-planning curbside grocery pick-up will rake in the cash.
Usually a couple hours. The stuff I get at Target is not typically spontaneous. I don’t go there for food/groceries like Costco or a grocery store, so I’ve never cared and many times pick it up later than it’s ready by hours or even next day.

I get that the drive-up services are super-convenient, but I am one of those shoppers that invariably sees something during my up-and-downs of the aisles that wasn't on my list that we could "probably use" or that just looks good at the time.  :)   

So doing the drive-up would probably save us money, but darnit those impulse buys are great.  :lol:  

I get that the drive-up services are super-convenient, but I am one of those shoppers that invariably sees something during my up-and-downs of the aisles that wasn't on my list that we could "probably use" or that just looks good at the time.  :)   

So doing the drive-up would probably save us money, but darnit those impulse buys are great.  :lol:  
So I’m not the only one who goes to the grocery store with 6 items on my list yet ends up spending $150 lol?

So I’m not the only one who goes to the grocery store with 6 items on my list yet ends up spending $150 lol?
Oh heck nah.  :lol:

My wife hates Target for some reason.  So she shops at Wal-Mart once a month or so.  Maybe goes to a regular grocery store once every 2-3 months.

I go to Target probably once a month.  Usually if we need 10-12 things, totaling maybe 70-80 bucks.  I always end up in the 100-110 range.  We do have the Red Card that knocks off 5%, which is nice. 

One other thing that I didn't mention from a workers point of view which is important for both Customers and employees. Didn't think about this till it happened to me 5xs TODAY!!! YES 5 and within a week this probably happens close to 50 times or more and I started counting the last 3 hrs of an 8 hour shift today. 

If registers are connected and the Cashier booth is connected to the end of the belt of another register you are at PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE CASHIERS SPACE. Not every booth in a store has a swinging door or a boundary to keep people out of the cashier booth area. Way too many times I back up to get money from the drawer or move and a customer is in my space. First off you shouldn't be there anyway. Second off if something happens you could easily be blamed for something you didn't do. 3rd SOCIAL DISTANCING PEOPLE!!! I've had numerous people when in an express lane go almost next to me to pay or grab their stuff. You are suppose to stay in front of the booth or where the que lining is. Not directly in the cashiers space. It's also extremely rude. As well as the fact I'm Autistic and sensitive to people invading my space it's not gonna end in a good experience for me or you. Please be aware of your surroundings. For the most part people have been nice when I've said something to them about it so I won't cause a scene about it but please be aware of your surroundings. You are not suppose to be in that space to begin with unless you work there. If you need to move your cart to get behind or in front of it to pay or whatever move totally out of the isle like you are leaving or move all the way back where the belt starts if no one is behind you and move around. DO NOT INTERFERE WITH A CASHIER NEXT BOOTH OVER SPACE. Also be mindful where your kids are in these circumstances as they tend to get in there as well. It's more for their safety as there's sharp edges and it's not even do to fatigue mats and they could slip and fall and hurt themselves 

I'm gonna throw this in a different way but I have neighbors directly across the street that order TAKE OUT CONSTANTLY. This isn't they've cooked so much or anything like you guys. I'm not sure what either person does all I know is the wife is the sister of a guy who went to school and same baseball team as my youngest baseball. The takeout they get isn't anything special its more of a heart attack waiting to happen and I'm gonna be as nice as I can with the next sentence here. My neighbors are far from the healthiest family. The wife is a literal land whale and not much better as she's currently pregnant. Though I will say she's far better off in size wise then my next door neighbor we share a drive way with. Not sure how she even fits through her front door. My neighbors across from me could maybe eat a few more salads and do less take out. The kids are no better. Little pillsbury monsters. I got no issues with them as neighbors they are nice, say hi etc etc. However they put these corny inflatables up for every holiday. They aren't even like the cool kind. Pretty tacky at best. I honestly do not know if the wife really cooks or not 

Users who are viewing this thread